THE BROWNS BOARD

Cousins?

beare

ESPN's Jason Reid reports "former Redskins officials who know Kirk Cousins" have said Cousins doesn't want to be in Washington and would prefer to be franchise-tagged rather than sign a long-term deal.

The sides have made what sounds like zero progress on a long-term deal, and Cousins may be fed up with the way Washington handled negotiations the past two years. The front office clearly didn't believe in Cousins last year, making him prove himself again on a one-year tag, and Cousins answered the bell with a big season. It's fair to wonder if the "former Redskins officials" Reid is referring to is someone from the old Shanahan regime, as then-OC Kyle Shanahan literally "stood on a table" for Cousins when they drafted him. Now the head coach in quarterback-less San Francisco, Shanahan remains enamored with Cousins, who has made it known the feeling is mutual. If Cousins is able to force his way out of D.C., a reunion in Santa Clara would be a good bet.

sounds like he wants out! Would you give up 12 for him? Would washington take that or want more?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. Imagine RG3's reaction! He'd be like, seriously Cousins... WTH! He couldn't get away from him...

Our #12 for a player not under contract who at best would be tagged?

I like the player, but not under those circumstances.

Exactly Tour. Our #12 maybe, #33 sounds good. Problem is- he's already been tagged once, and he's going to demand top 10 qb money fer sure.

LOL. Imagine RG3's reaction! He'd be like, seriously Cousins... WTH! He couldn't get away from him...

Sure he would- they bring in Kirk, it's adios, RG III. It would be in with the Cousins, out with the Griffin. There would be zero need for him.

Maybe a sign and trade?

Or a trade deal contingent upon our signing him? Not sure I want WSH negotiating on our behalf.

Exactly Tour. Our #12 maybe, #33 sounds good. Problem is- he's already been tagged once, and he's going to demand top 10 qb money fer sure.

If it were only "Top 10 money", I have a feeling he'd be signed by now.

Here's the other side of the coin... wait.

In 2017 WSH has three options: Sign, tag, release. If they tag, then in 2018 they have two: sign, release. There's little doubt that unless we do something stupid, colossally stupid, we will be a far more attractive landing spot in 2018.

After all of the above I am left wondering why WSH doesn't simply slap their non-exclusive tag on him. Clearly they can't agree on his market value, so letting the market determine it and having first right of refusal would seem to be the path to chose. And if they refuse, then they get two firsts as a consolation prize.

I like the Browns philosophy of building for the future...........

Let's get any cocksucker we can get, as long as we don't have to take a top prospect. YES YES YES.................. let's keep signing quagmire players. YES YES YES FUCKING YESSSSSSSSS Cousins............................... He is our future......................Or Garraposhit ...................................or (Insert underachiever who we believe is going to magically be Joe Montana once he comes to Cleveland)

Yes. only Paxton lynch will do

I like the Browns philosophy of building for the future...........

Let's get any cocksucker we can get, as long as we don't have to take a top prospect. YES YES YES.................. let's keep signing quagmire players. YES YES YES FUCKING YESSSSSSSSS Cousins............................... He is our future......................Or Garraposhit ...................................or (Insert underachiever who we believe is going to magically be Joe Montana once he comes to Cleveland)

I mean Cousins only threw for around 5000 yards and 25 TD's with about a half dozen more rushing TD's. Yea he's garbage right? I mean fuck he was beat out for total passing yards in 2017 by both Brees and Ryan, definitely a POS right?

i would like to see Cousins move on just so Colt McCoy gets a chance to start. I would hate it if the Browns pick him up though. Would be a waste of draft picks when the Browns have so many holes to fill.

If Cousins moved on...it would not be Colt who would be their starter. No. They would get someone else.

jcam, let me post this without the Ghoolie flare. Cousins is a very, very good QB. But he isn't going to come to Cleveland. He would cost a fucking arm and a leg, and come to a team where he has no weapons, a coward HC, a defense that can't stop anyone. He just isn't the guy to bring. He won't have enthusiasm to sign a Cleveland contract. It's not like the Redskins are going to give the guy up.

The reason you can't build OUR team around him is because he has history, and it isn't one of soaking his nuts in Holy Water praying for someone to catch the fucking ball. (Immaculate Reception????)

Trubisky is the guy, He is the pick. The Browns fucked themselves in last year's draft, they can't do it again. SPending #1 #1 on an edge rusher, who, as the Alabama game showed, is not all that, would be a monumental mistake. The Browns need a rookie guy to come stamp his brand on Browns football. Cousins is not going to do that. He is going to lobby for the Browns to become the skins.

Ghoolie, love your shit most of the time. Regarding this year's draft and building for the future, how to we build our defense in your opinion? We gave up so many 2nd half leads because of lack of depth, it just seems smart to use some on some defenaive players. Thanks ghoolie!

Great defense is important. Great offense makes great defense. The defensive players the Browns had were fine, not great, but fine, certianly 8 - 8 fine. I imagine if you did the calculating and compared all the defenses based on 2 quarters or 3 quarters, our team looks pretty good. The reason we lost so many games down the stretch had EVERYTHING to do with offense, and NOTHING to do with defense.

Absurd? No, not at all.

Any performance, I don't care if it is athletic, musical, job interview, public speaking, building a cabinet, is not simply achieved on motor and physical skills. There is an emotional, intellectual component to it. Next to testosterone, adrenaline is the most powerful chemical in the human body........it cranks out endorphine.....it enables people to play through pain, to overcome adversity, to achieve things far above their pay grade.

Listen to Dwight White talk about Bradshaw. I heard him say that no matter how tired and how beaten they were, when Bradshaw spoke to the team, somehow they found the juice to get him the ball. The D always believed they could win. I am sure this is universal with the D's that played for most of the great QBs.

The Browns lost so many games in the fourth quarter for two reasons.

• Fatigue. The offense put them under pressure the entire game. Giving up 10 points equated to losing
  • Absolutely no internal belief that the offense was going to pull it out

There are so many platitudes and euphemisms one could apply to this situation, but it is simple. Why Cleveland fans and experts don't get it, I have no idea; As goes the Quarterback, so goes the entire team. Without offense, defense is largely impotent. Yes, yes, you can cite Ravens first and a couple others, but everything has an exception. Exceptions however don't break the rule.

When you think of the great defensive games over the years, it is always the 4th quarter in which the great Ds really pound the fuck out of the opposition. Yes, because their offense kept them fresh, and motivated.

Unless the Browns have a stellar QB and offense in 2017, drafting Garrett will have no net effect on the Browns outcomes, nor on the defense. Oh, he will make some great hits and moves, but smart offensive schemes will keep him like a heavyweight boxer who tries to throw nothing but knockout punches. He will be as shagged in the 4th qtr as the guy were in 2016..

You want a great defense? Trade the 2018 1st rounder and Joe Thomas for a 2017 first rounder. Pick 3 times in the 1st round, then what is it #1 (33) in the second round? Get a QB, a REAL WR. Get a stud OL if you want, but draft offense. That's the foundation of a good defense.

Thanks for reply! I would agree that we have crap offense, and they did let the defense down. I just never seen any pass rush on the D side. Haden once again got smoked as always. I guess we have the talent, but are very young at that. I don't mind that Thomas trade either, but I think he could get a straight 1st rounder for anow already contender. Here is to hoping we do not shit the bed in the draft again.

Our offense was bad, and I can make a 1000 excuses for it, but the bottom line is we didn't score enough points, and we didn't sustain enough drives necessary to provide rest to our defense. We need a QB, and that's the simple truth, and we need him to stay healthy. Regardless of what people say, I believe RG III's injury was just bad luck. The guy was trying to get out of bounds and broke a bone I've never heard of. He was TRYING to do the right thing, and he got screwed. That one play set the tone for the entire year, and that's sad.

We tore our team down to the nub, and we were STILL in more games than we probably should've been. Yeah, our record completely sucked, but even with our severe lack of talent, I still think we would've won 5-6 games if we had someone like Tyrod Taylor. No team is going to succeed playing 3 or 4 starting QB's in a season, and that's the bottom line. People call me crazy all of the time, and it doesn't bother me, but I think if we get Garoppolo, we'll battle for 8-8 in 2017. I honestly believe that. Our schedule appears somewhat favorable, our division is getting weaker (finally), and it's time for the Browns to start building something. I think we have the right coach, the right DC, and we're going to BUILD now. Laugh all you want, it's fine. I honestly believe we have a plan, and in a couple months, the fans will be feeling pretty excited. Trust me.

Great defense is important. Great offense makes great defense. The defensive players the Browns had were fine, not great, but fine, certianly 8 - 8 fine. I imagine if you did the calculating and compared all the defenses based on 2 quarters or 3 quarters, our team looks pretty good. The reason we lost so many games down the stretch had EVERYTHING to do with offense, and NOTHING to do with defense.

Absurd? No, not at all.

Any performance, I don't care if it is athletic, musical, job interview, public speaking, building a cabinet, is not simply achieved on motor and physical skills. There is an emotional, intellectual component to it. Next to testosterone, adrenaline is the most powerful chemical in the human body........it cranks out endorphine.....it enables people to play through pain, to overcome adversity, to achieve things far above their pay grade.

Listen to Dwight White talk about Bradshaw. I heard him say that no matter how tired and how beaten they were, when Bradshaw spoke to the team, somehow they found the juice to get him the ball. The D always believed they could win. I am sure this is universal with the D's that played for most of the great QBs.

The Browns lost so many games in the fourth quarter for two reasons.

• Fatigue. The offense put them under pressure the entire game. Giving up 10 points equated to losing
  • Absolutely no internal belief that the offense was going to pull it out

There are so many platitudes and euphemisms one could apply to this situation, but it is simple. Why Cleveland fans and experts don't get it, I have no idea; As goes the Quarterback, so goes the entire team. Without offense, defense is largely impotent. Yes, yes, you can cite Ravens first and a couple others, but everything has an exception. Exceptions however don't break the rule.

When you think of the great defensive games over the years, it is always the 4th quarter in which the great Ds really pound the fuck out of the opposition. Yes, because their offense kept them fresh, and motivated.

Unless the Browns have a stellar QB and offense in 2017, drafting Garrett will have no net effect on the Browns outcomes, nor on the defense. Oh, he will make some great hits and moves, but smart offensive schemes will keep him like a heavyweight boxer who tries to throw nothing but knockout punches. He will be as shagged in the 4th qtr as the guy were in 2016..

You want a great defense? Trade the 2018 1st rounder and Joe Thomas for a 2017 first rounder. Pick 3 times in the 1st round, then what is it #1 (33) in the second round? Get a QB, a REAL WR. Get a stud OL if you want, but draft offense. That's the foundation of a good defense.

I basically disagree with the general concept of this post. Certainly the Browns offense was nothing to write home about....but we were 1-15 based more on the awful play of the defense than the offense.

I do agree however that a single defender is no where near the value of a good QB. But the Browns still lost a lot more because of bad defense.

The Niners link isn't going away maybe the Skins really are considering trading him?

If so I am straight on the phone offering them the #1 pick. Cousins is a proven franchise QB now, they aren't available often.

The Niners link isn't going away maybe the Skins really are considering trading him?

If so I am straight on the phone offering them the #1 pick. Cousins is a proven franchise QB now, they aren't available often.

If it is such a proven thing....then why are the Redskins fooling around with him? Why not sign him to a longer term deal? Perhaps either because they are not convinced or because they are a dysfunctional front office. I say a bit of both.

Seems pretty clear he doesn't want to be there. Their GM isn't even in the office at the moment it's been all over twitter. And this on the day they can sign free agents. Seems a huge mess in DC right now

I would do that 100%.

Archived