THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-browns-will-try-to-trade-for-patriots-backup-qb-jimmy-garoppolo/

Despite drafting quarterbacks in the first round on three occasions since 2007 -- including Johnny Manziel in 2014 -- the Browns are in desperate need of ... a franchise quarterback.

Rookie Cody Kessler was serviceable under trying circumstances in 2016 -- the third-round pick completed 66 percent of his passes and had six touchdowns versus two interceptions, but he was also winless in eight starts. (Yes, we know, QB wins aren't the be-all end-all, but the point remains: The Browns could stand to upgrade the position.) The other quarterbacks to see the field last season are, for various reasons, short-term solutions (Josh McCown is 37 and Robert Griffin III shows no signs of returning to the form that made him Offensive Rookie of the Year with the Redskins in 2012).

MORE ON SUPER BOWL LI

Which brings us back to the Browns' ongoing search for a quarterback. Perhaps the most popular candidate to be in Cleveland in 2017: Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo. He started the first two games of the 2016 season, while Tom Brady served his Deflategate suspension, and led the Patriots to two wins. In those games, Garoppolo completed 42 of 59 attempts (71 percent) for 469 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions before getting hurt just before halftime in Week 2 against the Dolphins.

Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot reports that "the Browns' interest in Garoppolo is real and that they'll try to trade for him depending on how their draft evaluations go over the next five weeks or so."

More from Cabot:

If the Browns decide to draft Mitch Trubisky or Deshaun Watson in the first round, they'll be much less likely to pursue the Patriots' backup -- but wouldn't rule it out.

But they'll have competition for Garoppolo that will drive up the price.
offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan liked him coming out of the draft, and might pursue a deal once he formally becomes the 49ers' head coach.

The 49ers have the No. 2 pick in the draft, and are also looking for a quarterback. But the Browns are intrigued, sources say, and they'll strongly consider it. The cost could be the No. 12 overall pick and more.

If the Garoppolo-to-Cleveland stuff sounds familiar it should; in December, former Browns executive Mike Lombardi -- who worked with Bill Belichick in Cleveland in the mid-1990s and was a front-office assistant in New England from 2014-2016 -- said this:

"The next quarterback that'll be the Cleveland Browns' quarterback perhaps is Jimmy Garoppolo in New England," Lombardi said during a television appearance at the time. "I think Cleveland understands, Hue Jackson specifically understands he needs a quarterback. I think they'll be very aggressive. I think Jimmy Garoppolo's on top of their list, and I think they'll go hard after him. I think the Patriots will decide whether [to trade Garoppolo] based on the deal they're offered and Cleveland has enough assets to entice them."

And just last week, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported that the Pats were certainly open to trading Garoppolo, though the going rate would be a first-round pick.

In case you're wondering, both Rob Rang and Dane Brugler have the Browns taking Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett first overall in latest CBSSports.com mock draft, though 11 picks later Rang has the Browns taking Notre Dame quarterback DeShone Kizer, while Brugler likes Florida cornerback Teez Tabor.

This information is nothing new for Browns fans, but it's interesting to see an official report being made by a journalist (well, a wannabe journalist anyways). At this point, trading for Garoppolo is my #1 solution to fixing our QB quandry...a problem we haven't solved in 17 years. My opinion is subject to change, as it's only February and I haven't really dissected the incoming QB prospects. However, I don't expect it to change because Garoppolo has lived the NFL life for a couple of years, knows how to prepare as a starter (no matter how brief), and was highly regarded coming out of college. People are quick to point out that Hoyer, Mallet, and Cassel didn't exactly tear it up, but these guys aren't an apples to oranges comparison. As I've stated in a previous post, Garoppolo was a second round pick. Compare that to Hoyer (undrafted) and Cassell (7th round), and you begin to understand that the comparison doesn't hold water. Hell, Cassell didn't even START in college at USC, and I believe he had just 40 career passing attempts. Mallet was a third round pick, and that's where the similarities end. He's a big, slow guy with a glacial delivery and a known subpar work ethic. Additionally, he was eventually traded for a conditional 7th round pick I think, and that's just a TINY BIT different from the proposed asking price for JG.

Signing a free agent QB or trading for a veteran doesn't guarantee success, in fact, many people tend to think of the many failures instead of the ones of have gone on to find success or even moderate play. How about Alex Smith? How many people wrote this guy off? Anyone know what his record is in Kansas City since he got there? Sure, he may not have the greatest playoff record, but would anybody here NOT trade places with the Chiefs? I could be mistaken, but the Chiefs were the worst team in the league before hiring Andy Reid and signing Alex Smith, and I THINK they went to the playoffs the next year. Obviously this wasn't ONLY because of Alex Smith, and he did have a season where he didn't complete a single TD pass to a WR (so weird), but again...would anybody here NOT want Alex Smith's success? How about Drew Brees going to the Saints? A bit different because he had an amazing year at San Diego before being traded, but still a veteran starting for another team. Even Jay Cutler had moderate success before things fell off the rails. Maybe not "good", but he didn't always play poorly either. Tyrod Taylor had a decent couple of years as well, although nothing spectacular. In two starting years with the Bills, I think he had something like 37 passing TD's, 4 rushing TD's, and only around 15 INT's. Anybody else be ok with that?

Point is, no matter HOW a team acquires a QB, there's a risk. Drafting one early, especially in a year where many experts say nobody is ready to immediately start, has it's own risk. Does our coaching staff and front office really have the needed 2-3 years for that guy to develop? After the worst year in franchise history? Probably not. Is the NFL LITTERED with examples of backup QB's going to other teams and failing to find success? Yep. But the league ALSO has many examples of QB needy teams reaching high in the draft for QB's that either weren't ready or simply didn't possess the required ability. Hell, look at our own damn team. Garoppolo has a quick release, a sturdy looking build, and is rumored to be desired by multiple teams. He doesn't have a long NFL resume, but he HAS shown the ability to process information and make accurate throws. Is JG the perfect solution? Nope, not even close. But is he better than using potentially the #1 overall pick on somebody? I think he is...ESPECIALLY if we can arrange a deal with the Patriots that doesn't include one of our first rounders.

The main obstacle in the Browns completing this deal is the San Francisco 49's. They are rumored to be hiring Kyle Shanahan (if they haven't already...I forget). Shanahan is on record for liking JG out of college, and many analysts expect Shanahan to go hard after him. If the 49's offer the Patriots a deal that stupidly involves the #2 pick of the damn draft, that will likely knock the Browns out of contention. There's NO WAY we package the #1 overall in a deal (Jesus...at least I HOPE NOT), and nothing we offer would compete with that. It's hard to imagine the 49's offering the #2, but who knows? Could the Browns package the #12 and other picks needed to make a better deal? Of course it's possible, but our team has SO MANY other needs, it's difficult to imagine us parting ways with that many assets.

Garoppolo is far from the only option, and we could definitely draft a QB early, sign somebody like Tyrod Taylor, and try to solve the QB equation that way. Maybe we draft a QB early and simply start Kessler or RG III? I expect the QB room to look VERY different, and my current hope is that it involves Jimmy Garoppolo.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mary Kay is not well regarded in Browns circles. Not by the owner or the coaches. Her articles really don't "say" anything.

So don't get too excited.

That said ... I have said on many occasions that this is the best route I see for the Browns in 2017.

I liked him as a prospect, and he has only enhanced that when he has played, both in the preseason and regular season.

I think trading our second #1 for him, is a better option, lower risk, than drafting any of the QBs that are mentioned at the top of the draft.

I do think it is imperative to find our QB in year two of this program, and this guy is the leader in the clubhouse for me.

The Steelers are also looking for a QB this year, Laundry is a FA and Rooney jr. has already said they will look to the draft, if they come up with another guy and we don't, prepare for ten more years of Winter.

Zombo

A....she quotes Mike Lombardi. Never believe a fucking thing that comes out of that fucker's mouth.

B. If they do go after him....as far as I am concerned the highest we should pay is our 2d 2d round pick, #52...and maybe something below that. NYET on giving up #1, #12, #33. If you don't want to go QB in those draft slots...then, yes, you must draft defense.

A....she quotes Mike Lombardi. Never believe a fucking thing that comes out of that fucker's mouth.

B. If they do go after him....as far as I am concerned the highest we should pay is our 2d 2d round pick, #52...and maybe something below that. NYET on giving up #1, #12, #33. If you don't want to go QB in those draft slots...then, yes, you must draft defense.

Well so much for not speculating anymore-Welcome back to the fray Gip. :D

I hear a lot of Mike Lombardi and when analyzing the league as a whole or the games, he is right more than he's wrong.

giving up a 12 for him would be really, really dumb.

won't happen. The player is fine, but a high first rounder?

no freaking way, unless a team that is nearly a playoff team does the deal

because all they need is a qb. Now, at 33, I could go with that. But the bidding

war will surely make it a dumb move.

Lombo does know a little about football... but the guy always looks like he is constipated.

So don't get too excited.

Is it OK that I am relieved that it is a MKC report?

Come for the Garoppolo. Stay for the McCarron.

lol...

Trade for Garoppolo,Steelers pick Trubisky------------Garoppolo becomes the next Brock Osweiller --Trubisky beats down the Browns for the next 10 plus years.

Lmao...

Just like Jarvis Jones, right? No...Sorry, that was shamarko Thomas. my bad...

A....she quotes Mike Lombardi. Never believe a fucking thing that comes out of that fucker's mouth. I would hope by now Browns fans would realize he's a shill for Bill, and pretty much hates the Browns.

Me and Gip see eye to on ^^^ THIS. If we don't take Trubisky #1- and it's looking right now that's what we're going to have to do if we want him. Go defense with the first three picks. I sincerely hope Shanahan loves Garrapolo so much, he'll be the dumb one- not us.

Well so much for not speculating anymore-Welcome back to the fray Gip. :D

Not like we haven't already beaten this horse to death already Gip & Hoorta ||||||||| other side of the Fence- Zombo.

giving up a 12 for him would be really, really dumb.

won't happen. The player is fine, but a high first rounder?

no freaking way, unless a team that is nearly a playoff team does the deal

because all they need is a qb. Now, at 33, I could go with that. But the bidding

war will surely make it a dumb move.

All it takes is two teams to start a bidding war. First round pick for Jimmy? Nope.

I hear a lot of Mike Lombardi and when analyzing the league as a whole or the games, he is right more than he's wrong.

Maybe overall. But when it comes to anything dealing with Belichick or the Browns....we MUST take what he says with a grain of salt. He is a BB sychophant and a Browns hater. (but I think Browns fans hate him more than he hates the Browns)

If we don't take Trubisky #1- and it's looking right now that's what we're going to have to do if we want him.

Not so sure, h. The height rumor may be hurting him a bit. Either way the tale of the Combine tape will be news.

Youre paranoid.

How has Beiichick screwed the Browns so far? He gave Collins to Cleveland.

You are a BB scrotum licker. I am not saying that he has screwed the Browns...yet. (or maybe he has....others may know). But in this case, anything above #52 in trade for JG is an attempted rape....in my opinion.

All it takes is two teams to start a bidding war. First round pick for Jimmy? Nope.

Pends on the value Pats gain & player that Bill wants to slide to in draft. Guess who drafts at #13?..Zona (noway JG wins there)& Palmer is packing. Think the Broncos #20 & Texans#25 a QB away? Bill's lab awaits after SB. He's the best dangler out there, but also says who they'll dangle.

If Lombardi hates the Browns its because they wouldn't let him draft and then fired him.

Idjit.....you don't know your history. Lombardi was in charge of a couple of disaster Brown's drafts in the 90s. He took the immortal Craig Powell. Plus, I believe that the Mingo draft was his baby. Going from memory here. Others may have specific data.

NE dratted Garoplo at # 62 and spent 3 years developing him and you would like to trade the # 52 pick straight up?

Bend over Bill, Thomas is driving for a spell.

Different position, but Collins was drafted at #52, developed for 3.5 years and we got him for a #96+.

It matters not what the Pats want if they are not keeping Jimmy G. And I do not think they are. So they will take what they can get for him.

So if it happens that two or more teams want to get in a bidding war for him, then more power to the Pats. I just hope we are not stupid enough to get involved in that war.

Different position, but Collins was drafted at #52, developed for 3.5 years and we got him for a #96+.

It matters not what the Pats want if they are not keeping Jimmy G. And I do not think they are. So they will take what they can get for him.

So if it happens that two or more teams want to get in a bidding war for him, then more power to the Pats. I just hope we are not stupid enough to get involved in that war.

Now you're talking.

Maybe Pittsburgh will offer more.

Let them. Though I think that your more likely suitors would be the 49ers (rumor says Shanahan wants him), the Bears, and now perhaps the Cards.

And BR's claim that he may retire is all bombast. So, they probably won't be in the market.

Besides...why would you...as a Pats fan, want to give him up.

Do you see no future with him? If he is so mediocre as to have no future with the Pats, why should others overpay for him.

Archived