THE BROWNS BOARD

Can This Draft Start like our 1978 Draft?

Flugel

Ok one last time. I didn't "mock" Howard at all.

I made the thread about Howard who happens to play TE. And these are cut and pastes of your comments:

"Winter is getting long as the season is but a distant memory if we are now chatting about the next TE for the Cleveland Browns"

"We can't block or defend but hey a TE as the 12th pick, great call."

If that's not mocking what he offers us - I'm not interested in any more spin from you. Like I said, I let the first one slide. I might have even considered letting the next one slide if there wasn't a smart ass "great call" at the end of it from you.

All that, and you went right back to telling me how many TEs have been picked in the first round as if it'll have anything to do with Howard as a BPA. After people saw the way Payton used Jimmy Graham in the SB Championship season - and Gronk has also been lining up outside more often - is TE still just the boring stereotype you can only see? There is no getting you to see that position has evolved past Kyle Brady in the 90s especially when you're too busy repeating the Rain Man reply "yeah, no tight ends drafted in the 1st round the last 10 years..."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cannot fix nor fill every need in just one draft as some picks will not pan out, that's just how the draft works.

For me that's why you pick what your board says is the BPA at every spot you find yourself in, and if that happens to be a tight end so be it.

You cannot fix nor fill every need in just one draft as some picks will not pan out, that's just how the draft works.

For me that's why you pick what your board says is the BPA at every spot you find yourself in, and if that happens to be a tight end so be it.

Good point London! IMO, another part of BPA is not stereotyping a guy to a position (because that subconsciously correlates with needs).

So, in this thread - Howard was getting critiqued by someone looking at how many TEs have been drafted in round 1 over the last 10 years which tells us what about OJ Howard? Zero. Not a thing. His talent, skills and physique are unique to him and have nothing to do with Pettigrew or Gresham.

Now, someone can argue I brought up Ozzie Newsome though. True, but the reason I did that was to show what an X-factor can do for an offense. The last position Ozzie played in college was WR not TE. The team that drafted him thought that moving him to TE would create the dynamic that opened up everything outside for the WR Corps while he threatened the middle seams/Safeties. All this helped the 13th round QB here begin to play his best football starting in 1978 coincidentally.

I'm guessing sometimes BPA fitting a need becomes a tie breaker if there's 2 BPAs being considered. When you have a 32 year old TE coming off a season he struggled to get open with only 38 catches and just 2 TDs, TE is a need. Aside from losing a step or 2, Barnidge wasn't blocking well either.

Therefore in Howard's case I think we not only have a BPA prospect but his dynamic also fits an important need for our struggling passing game.

Some years there's a reason to value a position more than others.

Watch the video. If you still feel it would be much smarter for us to hand OJ Howard to Baltimore or Pittsburgh instead of drafting him I'll make sure you never stop getting credit for such wisdom. I promise.

OK rate "biggest areas of need" for the upcoming draft Tom. I'll disagree that TE is #2 on the list, or you want to tell me fixing the dumpster fire in the defensive backfield isn't more important? We have Haden coming off an injury- and a whole lot of unproven nothing. I won't even fire up the qb debate.

If your fave goes to a division rival? Boo hoo. Hell, until we have every pick in the first round- we can't fix all the holes in one year. The Browns were totally deconstructed last year on purpose for good or ill. I have around 5 guys on my "needs" list I'll rate higher than a TE, doubtful they'll all be gone @ #12. If we take him that's fine, but I can't see the Browns following a darn near 40 year old model as the path to success. As great as Matthews and Ozzie were- the Browns SB appearance record? Still wating......

OK rate "biggest areas of need" for the upcoming draft Tom. I'll disagree that TE is #2 on the list, or you want to tell me fixing the dumpster fire in the defensive backfield isn't more important? We have Haden coming off an injury- and a whole lot of unproven nothing. I won't even fire up the qb debate.

If your fave goes to a division rival? Boo hoo. Hell, until we have every pick in the first round- we can't fix all the holes in one year. The Browns were totally deconstructed last year on purpose for good or ill. I have around 5 guys on my "needs" list I'll rate higher than a TE, doubtful they'll all be gone @ #12. If we take him that's fine, but I can't see the Browns following a darn near 40 year old model as the path to success. As great as Matthews and Ozzie were- the Browns SB appearance record? Still wating......

I'm not sure if you saw the flow of discussion about BPA despite some valid concerns you had. I agree we have needs everywhere. That said, if we go pass rusher at #1 overall - it helps our secondary a lot. It limits how long they have to cover people and maybe even forces a turnovers (like we saw Atlanta doing to Rodgers and even Brady). The draft is deep at secondary so it won't stop at #12. I promise you. Haden only had hernia surgery while Eric Berry from his draft class came back from cancer, surgery and chemo treatments to put together a fabulous season.

As for SB appearances, can you make one when you're rarely winning more than 3-4 games every year? Or is it more possible if you're making it into AFC Championship Games and frequenting playoffs? We made 3 AFC Championship Games when Ozzie was here and made the playoffs more in the 80s than any other decade of my life. The only thing we were missing back then was an elite edge rusher, which we can/will draft 1st overall. Right now, we don't have an X-factor in our passing game to help whatever QB we'll be counting on. Those of you only seeing Howard as the next Kyle Brady aren't seeing him the way a Sean Payton or Ozzie Newsome will be seeing him. They'll see him as an attack piece on their gridiron chess table where they can line him up inside or outside to create mismatches. That's how a Jimmy Graham frequented Pro Bowls...

After we go defense #1 overall - OJ Howard is an offensive guy I think will be the BPA at #12 at a position we only got 38 receptions in 2 TDs from in 2016 from a guy turns 32 in September. It's a need especially at a position many QBs lean on heavily. That said, I agree there will probably be some defensive talent on our doorstep at #12 too (even though some of our needs have really good depth in this draft). But some won't be a pick of the litter or even the 2nd pick of a litter that you'd be preferring to a pick of a litter at another position. There will be some really good DBs on the board in round 2. There may also be some available in free agency.

Based on what you said about the deconstruction, you know we're not fixing everything in this draft or in just 1 draft slot. Some day, we're going to have to make this an easier place to play QB if we ever want to stop adding names to the t-shirt. Let's just say we shock the world and draft your boy Trubisky first - are you really going to tell me all you want for him is already here? We need play makers on both sides of the ball and there will be a lot of BPA matching bare cupboards so we should also consider which positions of need are deeper in this draft in our thinking to remind us why we need to stick to the BPA...

It is time for the Browns to take a radical turn and select BPA regardless of specific needs rather than continue what they have always done, chase the need (and their tails) into losing season after losing season. Need chasing has been a total disaster. Take the overall BPA regardless of who we covet for a particular position. Do it every single pick.

Want to fill a need? Use FA.

It is time for the Browns to take a radical turn and select BPA regardless of specific needs rather than continue what they have always done, chase the need (and their tails) into losing season after losing season. Need chasing has been a total disaster. Take the overall BPA regardless of who we covet for a particular position. Do it every single pick.

Precisely. We have enough bare cupboards where BPA will match need anyway.

I'm expecting at least 1 QB to go in the top 11 (& maybe a reach for another one) after we take Garrett at #1 overall. Fournette will probably get picked somewhere in there too and maybe Mike Williams while I think the other 6 picks will be a lot of defensive players many of us are eye balling. Counting Garrett, I'm thinking 7 defensive players are off the board when #12 comes up. I agree we should go BPA at #12 and I think it'll be Howard.

There is a possible monkey wrench to that Canton Mike told me he learned about. He heard Foster (LB from Alabama) is having rotator cuff surgery that will keep him out 4 months = no combines/pre-draft workouts. This could conceivably slide him down to #12. If so, I'd be ecstatic to have a choice of Foster or Howard at that spot and give either choice a 2 thumbs up.

I agree. It is sad just thinking about all the impact players we passed over in previous drafts to get the duds.

I agree. It is sad just thinking about all the impact players we passed over in previous drafts to get the duds.

Me too. Speaking of BPA, when Green Bay drafted Aaron Rodgers even though they already had Brett Favre playing like a Hall of Fame QB - should people have complained about need?

And why would a SF trade for a Steve Young when they already had a HOF caliber Joe Montana on top of his game? Where was the need?

It's a great TE debate & great depth in both Draft & FA's at TE. But my concern would be with this new anna & linics FO should we not see things like this coming before we take a 5th rounder on a Devalve? UDFA JP Holtz? Don't think Telfair passed his Hue exam either? So yea, we should be in the TE Market

I made the thread about Howard who happens to play TE. And these are cut and pastes of your comments:

"Winter is getting long as the season is but a distant memory if we are now chatting about the next TE for the Cleveland Browns"

"We can't block or defend but hey a TE as the 12th pick, great call."

If that's not mocking what he offers us - I'm not interested in any more spin from you. Like I said, I let the first one slide. I might have even considered letting the next one slide if there wasn't a smart ass "great call" at the end of it from you.

All that, and you went right back to telling me how many TEs have been picked in the first round as if it'll have anything to do with Howard as a BPA. After people saw the way Payton used Jimmy Graham in the SB Championship season - and Gronk has also been lining up outside more often - is TE still just the boring stereotype you can only see? There is no getting you to see that position has evolved past Kyle Brady in the 90s especially when you're too busy repeating the Rain Man reply "yeah, no tight ends drafted in the 1st round the last 10 years..."

Not mocking Howard at all. Poked fun at discussing picking a TE #12 when we can't block, catch, throw or defend. If you don't think positions slot in the draft then you don't need to respond.

I must have missed that article...

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Instant blur off the snap. Feet turn over at a blinding pace and he devours cushion before cornerbacks know what hit them. Able to get over the top of every corner he faced and demands safety help over the top. Works back to the ball. Explosive leaper with ability to climb ladder and win the 50/50 ball and body control to secure the acrobatic catch. Touchdown maker finishing 2015 with 20 receiving touchdowns. Smooth, speedy stems to the post will be difficult to mirror and match for NFL cornerbacks. Easy route adjustments in space. Defenders who try to jam and miss pay the iron price (touchdowns). Able to make tacklers miss in tight spaces. Has experience as ball carrier and punt returner. Heavily targeted (39 percent) in Baylor's high­-flying attack.

WEAKNESSES Does his best work from outside the numbers, but lacks desired NFL size to play outside. Allows cornerbacks to leverage him against the sideline on deep throws. Takes longer than expected to gear down for comeback routes after hitting top speed. Ran limited number of simple routes. Hands are a concern. Fails to catch away from his body. Dropped 10 passes for a drop rate of 11.9 percent. Loses focus and concentration on routes that work towards the middle of the field or when he senses defenders are closing in. Had sports hernia surgery that forced him to miss his bowl game.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 1 or 2 SOURCES TELL US "He's my top receiver. Now this is for what we do so he's going to be tops for me. He can do a lot of things and I'm not worried about those simple routes because he's got some gifts to work with. Like him a lot more than (Laquon) Treadwell or the Notre Dame guy (Will Fuller)" -- AFC wide receivers coach

NFL COMPARISON John Brown

BOTTOM LINE Dangerous vertical talent with the ability to get over the top of defenders who fail to recognize his blazing quickness off the line of scrimmage. Coleman can get instant separation to create favorable passing windows and is one of the top playmakers in this draft. Coleman's issues with drops near the middle of the field could be a concern if teams see him next as a slot receiver due to his lack of size. Regardless, he can line up outside and win and he offers immediate punt return help.

Raw talent, ton of upside. And again not writing him off but I think there were other players who could have been taken at #15 like Keanu Neal

Raw talent, ton of upside. And again not writing him off but I think there were other players who could have been taken at #15 like Keanu Neal

its a good thought bacon, but did we know gordon was not going to be a dope again? & TP was coming off a 1 completion season..

Not mocking Howard at all. Poked fun at discussing picking a TE #12 when we can't block, catch, throw or defend. If you don't think positions slot in the draft then you don't need to respond.

QBs slot and it's killed countless franchises.

Do Safeties always get drafted where Eric Turner was? No. The Browns drafted a unique talent.

When you get to the teens of round 1, usually the top/projected franchise QBs are gone. As you know, this year doesn't have a lot of projected franchise QBs. Howard plays a position that scores TDs and does that blocking you you worried about. The video of the Clemson game linked showed a lot of good blocks, good hands - 3 different receptions exceeded 50 yards within the 200 yard receiving night, and 2 TDs in a National Championship victory he X-factored.

And now you're talking about Corey Coleman, who doesn't catch with his hands like Howard does. Why would that be important in traffic? Why would an ideal catch radius on a 6'6" target help in traffic? And if the guy can jet, Safeties have to worry about him instead of helping on Pryor when our 32 year old Barnidge is moving around like he has Roseann Barr riding on his shoulder pads. When you only get 2 TDs from your starting TE in an entire season - the position is hibernating.

The link below is similar to the debate me and you had between Gribble and Zegura discussing McShay's and DJ's mock drafts. The only difference is Gribble isn't a smart ass. I like the points Zegura brought up about him standing out at the Senior Bowl and the week of practices in front of our coaches while you'll undoubtedly like what Gribble is saying.The last time Hue coached a good TE from round 1 (Eifert) - he got 13 TD receptions in 1 season from the position. http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Gribble--Zegura-review-national-mock-drafts/76d60a15-f220-49c5-929d-106abbb5b792

TE's drafted in the 1st round the last 10 years

2016 - 0

2015 - 0

2014 - Eric Ebron 10th - Lions

2013 - Tyler Eifert 21st - Bengals

2012 - 0

2011 - 0

2010 - Jermaine Gresham 21st - Bengals

2009 - Brandon Pettigrew 20th - Lions

2008 - Dustin Keller 30th - Jets

2007 - Greg Olsen 30th - Bears

Olsen only one worth a first round pick in that list. You can clearly see Ebron only one going 1-19 and you want us to look at #12? While I won't dismiss taking a TE in round 1, top 20 better be the next coming of Gronk and you better have the offense to put him in.

and one other thing... it's convenient you left out 2006. Davis was the sixth pick overall, a TE.

I think Howard is a star immediate impact player. I will say this: With Foster's injury, it reminds me that

I read where his physical style of play would risk a shorter career. That perception in whatever

draft profile it was comes back to haunt him. I wouldn't take him now - the Browns need an

immediate dramatic impact player.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Davis

No. 85 Washington Redskins Position: Tight end Personal information Date of birth: January 31, 1984 (age 33) Place of birth: Washington, D.C. Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 248 lb (112 kg) Career information High school: Washington (DC) Dunbar College: Maryland NFL Draft: 2006 / Round: 1 / Pick: 6 Career history

Roster status: Active Career highlights and awards

Career NFL statistics as of 2016 Receptions: 505 Receiving yards: 6,424 Receiving touchdowns: 57 Player stats at NFL.com

Furthermore - on BPA. If we look at, for argument's sake, the top 19 (I missed one)..players

according to CBSsports....given that we are going to draft an immediate impact player,

it's Garrett. He's elite at the top. But Allen, Thomas, Adams, Cook, Lattimore fill out the

non-injured players that fit for the Browns on defense - referring to immediate dramatic impact.

We have wr's.

So, if you have a great pass rush, why would a team draft Garrett, when Adams fits as a dramatic impact BPA?

If you already have the best defense in the NFL, adding a defensive bpa doesn't work

to help you dramatically. So, you are looking at trading down a few spots, and Howard or Cook

are the dramatic immediate impact players.

It's like the logical analogy "A is to B as C is to D"

Meaning, "Garrett/Allen/Thomas/Adams/Lattimore is to Defense as Cook/Howard/Trubisky is to Offense" If both hold true, then

what you NEED comes into play. If they don't, and you don't see Trubisky as an immediate impact

player, then you go from there. When you start looking into who the players are -character, work ethic,

love for the game, durability ...etc etc etc... you get to narrow down your legit picks

for your team. The Browns do not have the luxury of picking a currently injured player

early. Immediate impact probably goes out the window.

Having said that, I would love to win the lottery and be allowed to sit in on pre-draft discussions.

The Browns need pass rush/secondary on defense... and qb/OL/TE on offense.

It's a deep draft in cb's... it's complicated. If I had my elite qb and defense,

then I'm looking at other players on offense as the BPA, if they qualify as dramatic

impact players. Will my cb/rb pick be available later? Foreman? a great small school

cb/fs that could be there in the second round?

That is the same for the top few picks as the twelth pick. Who ranks as the players

with those qualities, who will be there at 12.

On both sides of the ball, it's Garrett at one. If my dline had been all set, it would be

Adams or Lattimore. If my entire defense was fine, it would be Trubisky, Cook or Howard, and

rb is way too high, I could trade down with the Bears and get Howard...

I think I need to go have pancakes and coffee for breakfast....

Myles Garrett DET
Jonathan Allen DT
Solomon Thomas DE
Malik Hooker Injured FS
Dalvin Cook RB
Jamal Adams SS
Reuben Foster Injured ILB
Mike Williams WR
Leonard FournetteInjured RB
Marshon Lattimore CB
O.J. Howard TE
Mitch Trubisky QB
Jabrill Peppers SS
Ryan Ramczyk Injured OT
Teez Tabor CB
Corey Davis WR

Maybe decaf... your energy level seems fine.

Beyond the QB position, "impact" on the O-side is much harder for a single player to generate.

Maybe decaf... your energy level seems fine.

Beyond the QB position, "impact" on the O-side is much harder for a single player to generate.

Point well taken.

Why is that? The defense is to stop them, but the offense knows what it is going to do,

the defense generally doesn't...reacts..

I'll have to think about that one. How so?

Here's a link showing the mock drafts from Todd McShay and DJ which is related to this debate:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Gribble--Zegura-review-national-mock-drafts/76d60a15-f220-49c5-929d-106abbb5b792

Again, I have said it over and over, MT will not fall to us at 12. Not with as many as 5 teams in the Top 10 looking for QB.

I would be thrilled if it happens.

But, it won't.

I'll have to think about that one. How so?

I'll take a shot.

OL - while LT and C are key positions, impact is cumulative. There is no other player group where the unit is everything. We saw dramatically in 2015 how one weak position undermined an otherwise very strong unit.

WR - because he's half the equation. While a great #1 can elevate his QB, his impact is QB limited. Add the consideration that one, great WR can always be doubled and dependence upon the WR corps' cumulative proficiency emerges.

RB - the genesis of the game has taken its toll, but the position's impact has always been heavily reliant upon the OL group. That said, the right combination of acceleration, speed, power, agility, balance, hands and field vision behind the right line can be impactful, but that is a fairly rare combination to have in abundance across the board.

TE - going to struggle with this one a little more... A truly complete TE, one that can block and receive, can generate his own impact. Is it limited by his QB as I argued was the case for WRs? Sure, but the unique, match-up issues he creates, especially out of offensive sets where the run has to honored as well as the pass, elevate his impact.

Surprisingly I think I just may have argued that TE is second only to QB in impact...

Now I'm going to have to think about that one... ;)

Surprisingly I think I just may have argued that TE is second only to QB in impact...

Now I'm going to have to think about that one... ;) Tour

deep thinking.............heh.....

QBs slot and it's killed countless franchises.

Do Safeties always get drafted where Eric Turner was? No. The Browns drafted a unique talent.

When you get to the teens of round 1, usually the top/projected franchise QBs are gone. As you know, this year doesn't have a lot of projected franchise QBs. Howard plays a position that scores TDs and does that blocking you you worried about. The video of the Clemson game linked showed a lot of good blocks, good hands - 3 different receptions exceeded 50 yards within the 200 yard receiving night, and 2 TDs in a National Championship victory he X-factored.

And now you're talking about Corey Coleman, who doesn't catch with his hands like Howard does. Why would that be important in traffic? Why would an ideal catch radius on a 6'6" target help in traffic? And if the guy can jet, Safeties have to worry about him instead of helping on Pryor when our 32 year old Barnidge is moving around like he has Roseann Barr riding on his shoulder pads. When you only get 2 TDs from your starting TE in an entire season - the position is hibernating.

The link below is similar to the debate me and you had between Gribble and Zegura discussing McShay's and DJ's mock drafts. The only difference is Gribble isn't a smart ass. I like the points Zegura brought up about him standing out at the Senior Bowl and the week of practices in front of our coaches while you'll undoubtedly like what Gribble is saying.The last time Hue coached a good TE from round 1 (Eifert) - he got 13 TD receptions in 1 season from the position. http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Gribble--Zegura-review-national-mock-drafts/76d60a15-f220-49c5-929d-106abbb5b792

Watched the video past the Howard discussion. We can agree to disagree on this one. I don't believe you take a TE #12 if you are the Browns. If they do I wouldn't stop being a fan, just don't think Howard, Njoku or Engram are the can't miss Gronkowksi type TE. I also get nervous as it pertains to Howard that the term "under-utilized" gets thrown around a lot. While I think offensive philosophies differ from place to place I'm not sure I subscribe to Nick Saban having an unstoppable force that he chooses not to use. If he truly is the next coming of Greg Olsen and Saban decided not to use him, there had to be some rationale behind it. The other really good players Saban has had were all utilized in his offense.

Watched the video past the Howard discussion. We can agree to disagree on this one. I don't believe you take a TE #12 if you are the Browns. If they do I wouldn't stop being a fan, just don't think Howard, Njoku or Engram are the can't miss Gronkowksi type TE. I also get nervous as it pertains to Howard that the term "under-utilized" gets thrown around a lot. While I think offensive philosophies differ from place to place I'm not sure I subscribe to Nick Saban having an unstoppable force that he chooses not to use. If he truly is the next coming of Greg Olsen and Saban decided not to use him, there had to be some rationale behind it. The other really good players Saban has had were all utilized in his offense.

I'm with you about not wanting Njoku or Engram at #12 overall so we have some degree of common ground.

As we saw in the debate/discussion, Zegura wanted Howard at #12 while Gribble liked McShay's QB idea instead. Both guys presented their points well. Zegura said Howard was the best player at the Senior Bowl, which might have been why Hue decided to limit his exposure to just 1 quarter of action for about 85-90 yards receiving.

To your concern on Howard being under-utilized - I understand that somewhat. This probably won't change your feeling; but I don't think Alabama has ever designed their offense to feature the TE. The year Alabama won the National Championship counting on a 1st year starter at QB (Coker) - it got 200 yards receiving and 2 TDs from Howard during the National Championship victory (vrs the best defense they faced). The next year, they had another 1st year starter at QB (True Freshman) J. Hurtz. When I watched Alabama play the last 2 years - they won with a smothering defense counter balanced by an ideal running game. Neither QB in 2015 and 2016 was a pro style passer so I think a lot of the under utilization you speak of had more to do with the coaching staff's lack of confidence in the Bama QBs throwing over the middle. For example, none of the 3 passes that all went for over 50 yards apiece to Howard vrs Clemson were over the middle. A lot of highlights I see of Howard making big plays and getting YAC are outside interestingly enough.

With Sean Payton drafting at #11 overall, there's a really good chance Howard doesn't even make it to #12. In 2009, Jimmy Graham sported the following under-utilized stats in his senior year at the University of Miami: 13 games 17 rec 213 yards 12.5 ypc 5 TDs. Payton wasn't drafting Graham for a college offense though. He drafted him for his offense where he would line Graham up inside or outside to create mismatches. This helped 7th round draft pick Marques Colston exploit easier matchups as well as undrafted WR Lance Moore. Graham became 10 times the TE he was in college. A lot of NFL TEs have gone on to enjoy much better receiving stats than they had in college.

TE's drafted in the 1st round the last 10 years

2016 - 0

2015 - 0

2014 - Eric Ebron 10th - Lions

2013 - Tyler Eifert 21st - Bengals

2012 - 0

2011 - 0

2010 - Jermaine Gresham 21st - Bengals

2009 - Brandon Pettigrew 20th - Lions

2008 - Dustin Keller 30th - Jets

2007 - Greg Olsen 30th - Bears

Olsen only one worth a first round pick in that list. You can clearly see Ebron only one going 1-19 and you want us to look at #12? While I won't dismiss taking a TE in round 1, top 20 better be the next coming of Gronk and you better have the offense to put him in.

Fair enough, but here are 2 things to consider...

1. Howard is a beast all around who will help the offense even if the ball doesn't come his way. Seriously, go watch how often an Alabama RB gets to the second level off of one of his blocks.

2. Howard was at the senior bowl and hue got an up close and personal look at him. If the Browns draft him, they will do so having had the opportunity to coach him and see who he is in the locker room.

I've stated my bias before: OJ is a player any team would want, just keep him away from a Ford Bronco.

Archived