THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Wallace

Thomaspro

Why should'nt H&H sign him to a large contract, 8 years 50 million 20 mill guaranteed. Make the Steelers match or we get him and give up our first rounder next year? The guy is a stud and he could be the 1 receiver we are missing on offense who could grow with Weeden and Richardson. Don't crucify me, I am just coming up with some topics to discuss since things are slow this time of year.

Thomaspro

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why should'nt H&H sign him to a large contract, 8 years 50 million 20 mill guaranteed. Make the Steelers match or we get him and give up our first rounder next year? The guy is a stud and he could be the 1 receiver we are missing on offense who could grow with Weeden and Richardson. Don't crucify me, I am just coming up with some topics to discuss since things are slow this time of year.

Thomaspro

I think it makes more sense now than it did a month ago when we wanted a QB in the draft but were worried we may have to wait another season.

1. We have our QB of the future- if he falls on his face the earliest he would be replaced is two years. So we'll have a first round pick to get one- if it happens.

2. I would say we have 1 missing piece on offense and its a go to WR- question is does Wallace fill that role.

3. He compliments are current WRs very well- Little is his opposite (a bigger Red zone WR). Cribbs, Norwood, Benjamin are your slot smurf WRs your catch and run guys.

4. We have QB with the tools to attack vertically

5. We weaken a division opponent.

I was under the impression that RFA's needed to be signed before the draft because we would have had to lose that current years first rounder. I didn't think we could lose a future first. If he were willing to sign at a good figure no doubt I would go after him.

better yet, make an offer that the steelers can match, structure it so it will be hurting them in cap room for the future, if they don't bite, then we get a WR, they are already hurting in cap space this year

You need to do a little bit of research. The Steelers WERE hurting on cap space, they aren't now. They also aren't going to overpay Mike Wallace so if someone rolled in and offered a contract they couldn't match or wouldn't match Mike Wallace would be gone. I as a Steeler fan certainly want Wallace to stay as I feel he has another dimension of his game he hasn't reached but I also don't want them to pay him a ridiculous contract. Thankfully that isn't something the Steelers are willing to do and if they were willing to offer him the sun and the moon he'd have signed already. I do 100% believe he's a number 1 receiver but he's not going to get a through the moon contract with the Steelers. He still hasn't signed his first round tender and won't be at OTA's. June 12 is mandatory so we'll see what happens when that date rolls around.

Supposedly several teams were interested in Wallace before the NFL draft.

The problem was Wallace wanted Larry Fitzgerald type money.

Fitzgerald signed an 8 year 120 million contract.

Wallace is fast - but he's not that good.

He's not going to get Larry Fitzgerald kind of money and still believe that entire situation was a ruse. If he wanted that kind of money the Steelers wouldn't still be in contract negotiations with him.

He's not going to get Larry Fitzgerald kind of money and still believe that entire situation was a ruse. If he wanted that kind of money the Steelers wouldn't still be in contract negotiations with him.

Nobody really cares what you believe.

Argue with somebody, I'm bored.

Dance, monkey, dance.

I was under the impression that RFA's needed to be signed before the draft because we would have had to lose that current years first rounder. I didn't think we could lose a future first. If he were willing to sign at a good figure no doubt I would go after him.

I thought the same thing regarding RFA's. I wouldn't mind having him at the right price but unless we plan on throwing the ball downfield (you know more then 5 yards) we wouldn't be able to utilize him correctly.

Nobody really cares what you believe.

Argue with somebody, I'm bored.

Dance, monkey, dance.

Cute. I play nice, you try and make a dig. Fact of the matter is the Steelers don't overpay their players. They never have and never will. It's why they remain near the top year after year. Drafting and by taking care of their own but not to the degree that you risk the rest of the team. Paying Mike Wallace Fitzgerald money risks the rest of the team.

Cute. I play nice, you try and make a dig. Fact of the matter is the Steelers don't overpay their players. They never have and never will. It's why they remain near the top year after year. Drafting and by taking care of their own but not to the degree that you risk the rest of the team. Paying Mike Wallace Fitzgerald money risks the rest of the team.

I'm not making a dig. I want you to argue with somebody for my enjoyment, for I am better than you and you are below me.

I'm not making a dig. I want you to argue with somebody for my enjoyment, for I am better than you and you are below me.

Oh? that would certainly qualify as news to me. I'm the greatest. Are we related?

Wallace is not available. All y'all are trippin'.

This topic is absurd coz he is not on the market.

Nobody wanted him when he was available coz the price and what they had to give up was too high.

Wallace can accept what he was offered by PIT or sit out the season.

If he sits (which he will not) then he will become an unrestricted free agent next year.

Yes, PIT would like to sign him for the long-term, but negotiations have gone nowhere. . . . coz of what many of you have said. . . Wallace's agent wants Fitzgerald kinda money and PIT will not pay that.

The entire structure of this type of, "restricted free agent," has been done away with under the new CBA coz it didn't function all that well. Teams had to give up too much, so nobody took any of these players.

i for one would really like the correct definition of what a 'yinzer' is, not living in the area anymore.

Apparently it's something people in Cleveland think we in Pittsburgh find offensive. It's actually the exact opposite as just about everyone born and raised in the area appreciates the Pittsburghese of the various communities. I NEVER say yinz which is basically a slang offshoot from Y'all or the more proper word "You all".

I have an idea! Why don't we scout and find these type of players and have them earn their reputation with us, instead of overpaying and picking off of other teams?

Let's have other teams want OUR players!

Easier said than done my friend. I believe that's the goal of the draft for all 32 teams.

I have an idea! Why don't we scout and find these type of players and have them earn their reputation with us, instead of overpaying and picking off of other teams?

Let's have other teams want OUR players!

We find these players and then end up having to over pay to keep them on the team in 2-3 years anyway.

You need to do a little bit of research. The Steelers WERE hurting on cap space, they aren't now.

Is that because they dumped a bunch of higher priced veterans? If so, remind us who they dumped.

They also aren't going to overpay Mike Wallace so if someone rolled in and offered a contract they couldn't match or wouldn't match Mike Wallace would be gone. I as a Steeler fan certainly want Wallace to stay as I feel he has another dimension of his game he hasn't reached but I also don't want them to pay him a ridiculous contract. Thankfully that isn't something the Steelers are willing to do and if they were willing to offer him the sun and the moon he'd have signed already. I do 100% believe he's a number 1 receiver but he's not going to get a through the moon contract with the Steelers. He still hasn't signed his first round tender and won't be at OTA's. June 12 is mandatory so we'll see what happens when that date rolls around.

As good as he is, I agree that he should not be signed to an "over the moon" contract. And I personally would not be willing to see the Browns sacrifice a 1st round pick to get him if that is what it took.

Wallace is not available. All y'all are trippin'.

This topic is absurd coz he is not on the market.

Nobody wanted him when he was available coz the price and what they had to give up was too high.

Wallace can accept what he was offered by PIT or sit out the season.

If he sits (which he will not) then he will become an unrestricted free agent next year.

Yes, PIT would like to sign him for the long-term, but negotiations have gone nowhere. . . . coz of what many of you have said. . . Wallace's agent wants Fitzgerald kinda money and PIT will not pay that.

The entire structure of this type of, "restricted free agent," has been done away with under the new CBA coz it didn't function all that well. Teams had to give up too much, so nobody took any of these players.

If the "restricted FA" has been eliminated, then why has everybody been talking about it re this guy for so long? The waters would a lot clearer if that is the case.

Apparently it's something people in Cleveland think we in Pittsburgh find offensive. It's actually the exact opposite as just about everyone born and raised in the area appreciates the Pittsburghese of the various communities. I NEVER say yinz which is basically a slang offshoot from Y'all or the more proper word "You all".

I have never thought it to be nor used it to be offensive. It is simply something that is indigineous to that area. It might be somewhat comical, but not offensive. And when we use it, we all know who we are talking about.

When I say "yinz" I think of it simply as a sort of shorthand reference to the entire Steeler fan base.

If I intended to be offensive I would say something like "yinzers are dumbasses" or the like.

I am trying to think of something that would be comparable....but can't really come up with anything.

Thomaspro

I realize your fan base isn't well informed on much of anything, but you should be aware the deadline for other clubs to extend an offer to RFA's was April 20th. Nobody can negotiate with Wallace but the Steelers now. Wallace now has until June 15 to sign his tender or he risks losing a lot of money. If Wallace doesn't sign by that date his salary is reduced from $2.742 million to $577,500.

The ball is in the Steelers court on this one, and Wallace's best option is to agree to a long term extension before the season or he risks playing for peanuts this year and then getting franchised after the season.

Nobody can negotiate with Wallace but the Steelers now. Wallace now has until June 15 to sign his tender or he risks losing a lot of money.

The ball is in the Steelers court on this one...

If H&H wanted Wallace, he can still be bought from Pittsburgh. It will cost the Browns more than 1 first round draft choice however, plus whatever contract Wallace would find acceptable (if you want to keep him long term). Another team may get Wallace for a 1st rounder, but an interdivisional foe stands no chance at such an offer, even though you are probably offering a top 10 pick in 2013.

The premise of this subject was more realistic prior to the RFA signing deadline. As unhappy as Wallace may be, he really has no options. I expect the Steelers to place a franchise tag on him next year. So basically if your team wants Wallace, be prepared to pay the Steelers a high price. H&H don't strike me as management who are willing to pay that type of price.

I realize your fan base isn't well informed on much of anything, but you should be aware the deadline for other clubs to extend an offer to RFA's was April 20th. Nobody can negotiate with Wallace but the Steelers now. Wallace now has until June 15 to sign his tender or he risks losing a lot of money. If Wallace doesn't sign by that date his salary is reduced from $2.742 million to $577,500.

The ball is in the Steelers court on this one, and Wallace's best option is to agree to a long term extension before the season or he risks playing for peanuts this year and then getting franchised after the season.

Hey Silverback, go fuck yourself douche bag. I make a simple mistake that even well informed fans could make. Get off your high horse.

The deadline for other clubs to extend an offer to RFA's was April 20th. Nobody can negotiate with Wallace but the Steelers now.

If Wallace doesn't sign by June 15 his salary is reduced from $2.742 million to $577,500.

To be explicitly clear on this.

Yes, PIT can reduce Wallace's tender from $2.742 million to $577,500, but they have said that they will not do that to him.

The Steelers don't screw people over to make them unhappy.

If I were Wallace, I would play-out the year and then try to get picked up by a team with an A-list QB and passing game (NE, GB, SD, NO, DEN, CIN, DET)

Speed is the first thing that these guys lose with age but Wallace is good enough to continue in the NFL after he is no longer fast.

But yes, as Silverback wrote, Wallace does "face the risk" of being franchised for another season.

But being, "franchised" is not a bad paycheck.

It's hard to shed too many tears for these guys.

Archived