THE BROWNS BOARD

Most famous band from every state

Stuart

Ohio- The Isley Brothers

Pa.- Hall & Oates

Michigan- The Temptations

I anticipated the band Chicago would represent Illinois but they went with Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Can't really argue with that.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gallery/the-most-famous-band-of-all-time-from-every-state/ss-AAkE0ng?li=BBnb2gh&ocid=UE13DHP#image=1

For an American band versus the massive British invasion in the late 60s early 70s I've always liked Lynrd Skynard out of FLA.

I'm 64 and I don't care about them.

Not that I enjoy these bands but I would imagine Devo, especially Mark mothersbaugh, and maybe Nine Inch Nails would be among the top best known Ohio artist. Maybe Joe Walsh, maybe Eric Carmen?

Oh I remember this well.....

....The James Gang was an American rock band formed in Cleveland, Ohio in 1966. The band enjoyed moderate success with the singles "Funk #49" and "Walk Away," and are perhaps best remembered as the first popular band to feature the guitarist/vocalist Joe Walsh, who later became a member of the Eagles.

• 1 month later...

Macon, Ga Allman Brothers

Atlanta, Ga Jackyl

Marietta Ga Black Crowes

Athens Ga REM

Athens Ga B - 52s

New Hampshire Areosmith <--- Aerosmith NH? Wow.

Boston, Ma Boston

Lowell, Ma J Giels

Austin Tx Townes Van Zandt

Austin Tx SRV

Texas ZZ Top <--- Legs!

Port Arthur, Tx Janis Joplin <--- Janis & JimI left too soon

Detroit Mi Bob Seger

Detroit Mi Motown too many to list.

Topeka, Ks Kansas

Chicago, Il Styx

Cleveland Oh The Cars

San Francisco, Ca Jefferson Airplane <--- who was the cockpit of JA? ;)

New Jersey Smithereens

NICE list, rock on!

Well, I guess the question is what is the meaning of "from". Is it where most of the guys in the band were born, grew up.....or is it where they played a few initial gigs.

Like Aerosmith. I understand that most of those guys are "from" Boston....grew up there, formed there. But, maybe when they first started they played some gigs in NH.

And like The Cars. Yea, one guy was born/raised in Cleveland area.....but, I and WSS were sure all around the Cleveland music scene when that band would have been formed, and I sure never remember them ever playing regularly around here.

What say you Steve? Do you recall the Cars playing here in their formative years?

Well, I guess the question is what is the meaning of "from". Is it where most of the guys in the band were born, grew up.....or is it where they played a few initial gigs.

Like Aerosmith. I understand that most of those guys are "from" Boston....grew up there, formed there. But, maybe when they first started they played some gigs in NH.

And like The Cars. Yea, one guy was born/raised in Cleveland area.....but, I and WSS were sure all around the Cleveland music scene when that band would have been formed, and I sure never remember them ever playing regularly around here.

What say you Steve? Do you recall the Cars playing here in their formative years?

Nope. I do remember Devo.

You get my call?

WSS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah... my fav James Gang track.... but the Intro was lifted straight outta another track... want to say Laugh... but can't find find any such track.

Not that I enjoy these bands but I would imagine Devo, especially Mark mothersbaugh, and maybe Nine Inch Nails would be among the top best known Ohio artist. Maybe Joe Walsh, maybe Eric Carmen?

Nobody not from CLE knows The Raspberries... may as well opt for The Lemon Pipers from down Miami of Ohio way. ;)

James Gang? Getting warmer, but think with Trent's NIN I think you may have nailed it.

Akron's Chrissy Hynde deserves mention. Even was in a band with Mothersbaugh early-on. Knocked around KSU before ultimately moving to London where after fumbling around for a few years The Pretenders formed.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it is based on where they were born, and part of a group, thus why people like Frank Sinatra and Elvis don't make the list.

I forget whoever was listed for Georgia, but I can't get past the Allmond Bros or REM over them. Hell, I'll take Atlanta Rhythm Section over them.

Ah... my fav James Gang track.... but the Intro was lifted straight outta another track... want to say Laugh... but can't find find any such track.

Nobody not from CLE knows The Raspberries... may as well opt for The Lemon Pipers from down Miami of Ohio way. ;)

James Gang? Getting warmer, but think with Trent's NIN I think you may have nailed it.

Akron's Chrissy Hynde deserves mention. Even was in a band with Mothersbaugh early-on. Knocked around KSU before ultimately moving to London where after fumbling around for a few years The Pretenders formed.

Raspberries we cult favorite but I said Eric Carmen. He's respectable but not the most well-known from Ohio.

WSS

Raspberries we cult favorite but I said Eric Carmen. He's respectable but not the most well-known from Ohio.

WSS

For what its worth, the following are the members of the Rock n Roll HOF that come from Ohio:

The Isley Brothers Cincinnati

The Moonglows Cleveland

The O'Jays Canton

Joe Walsh..as a member of the Eagles...though born in Wichita KS he got his musical start in Cleveland area

Bobby Womack Cleveland

Alan Freed. Raised and went to high school in Salem Oh. Went to Ohio St. DJed in Youngstown, Akron, Cleveland

Syd Nathan Founder of King Records...from Cincinnati

and Chrissie Hynde, Akron as a member of the Pretenders.

Not sure if you would call one of these "the most famous" or not.

Other Acts from Ohio, not RRHOF:

Black Keys

Devo

Waitresses

Glass Harp

The McGuire sisters

The Mills Brothers

Pure Prairie League

The McCoys

Bones Thugs and Harmony

Tracy Chapman

The Raspberries

Eric Carmen (solo)

The Outsiders

Screamin' Jay Hawkins

The James Gang

Ben Orr (Cars)

John Popper (Chardon...Blues Traveler)

Macy Gray

Marilyn Manson

Boz Scaggs

Michael Stanley

The Choir

These are ones I know. More recent acts/rap acts I don't know much about.

And FYI...only Joe Walsh as a member of the Eagles is on any "best selling artist" list.

Other Acts from Ohio, not RRHOF:

Black Keys

Devo <---- my younger brother's favorite, behind my time

Waitresses

Glass Harp <---- saw them many times along with the Left End

The McGuire sisters

The Mills Brothers

Pure Prairie League

The McCoys <---- "Hang on Sloopy", just saw the documentary on them on TV

Bones Thugs and Harmony

Tracy Chapman

The Raspberries

Eric Carmen (solo)

The Outsiders

Screamin' Jay Hawkins

The James Gang <---- always liked them in college

Ben Orr (Cars)

John Popper (Chardon...Blues Traveler)

Macy Gray

Marilyn Manson

Boz Scaggs

Michael Stanley <---- oldie but goodie

The Choir

These are ones I know. More recent acts/rap acts I don't know much about.

And FYI...only Joe Walsh as a member of the Eagles is on any "best selling artist" list.

Amazing how music brings back almost instant memories, same as sports for me. :)

Henry Mancini was from Cleveland.

Barely, Mancini was born in the Little Italy neighborhood of Cleveland, and was raised near Pittsburgh, in the steel town of West Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. His parents immigrated from the Abruzzo region of Italy. Mancini's father, Quinto (born March 13, 1893, Scanno, Italy) was a steelworker, who made his only child begin piccolo lessons at the age of eight.

When Mancini was 12 years old, he began piano lessons. Quinto and Henry played flute together in the Aliquippa Italian immigrant band, "Sons of Italy". After graduating from Aliquippa High School in 1942, Mancini attended the renowned Juilliard School of Music in New York. In 1943....

....I'll even bet he was a Steelers fan. :lol:

Barely, Mancini was born in the Little Italy neighborhood of Cleveland, and was raised near Pittsburgh, in the steel town of West Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. His parents immigrated from the Abruzzo region of Italy. Mancini's father, Quinto (born March 13, 1893, Scanno, Italy) was a steelworker, who made his only child begin piccolo lessons at the age of eight.

When Mancini was 12 years old, he began piano lessons. Quinto and Henry played flute together in the Aliquippa Italian immigrant band, "Sons of Italy". After graduating from Aliquippa High School in 1942, Mancini attended the renowned Juilliard School of Music in New York. In 1943....

....I'll even bet he was a Steelers fan. :lol:

Fuck him then.

Archived