THE BROWNS BOARD

Why hasn't this team embraced Osweiler?

Frenchie

Forget the actual trade and your opinion of what they did. But once the trade was made, the Browns devalued their asset (QB) by mentioning his name as an afterthought and immediately talking about trading or cutting him. Dumb move. Stupid. Even if that's their intention, don't let the world see your cards! What they should have done is embrace him, promote his skills, talk about how it doesn't prevent you from signing, trading or drafting a QB, but BO is a huge upgrade (over RG3) and in the hands of HJ, he could vastly improve his performance over last year. That's what the Patriots are doing with Garopolo. That's how they leverage their asssets in possible trade negotiations. In the NFL, no team wants to buy something that another team is talking about cutting.

I'm still wondering if this F.O. know what their doing. At this point, with the BO trade, the loss of TP and Mitch Swartz and Gabriel last year, I'm very disappointed.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a point I tried making yesterday when Gip was talking about him being our starter....

No way....

announcing you just traded for a 2nd round pick.....................first................way way before even mentioning that............oh yeah..........by the way.........................there's a QB attached to that trade too....

Ha!.....FO had no choice but to step away.....hes afraid we'll think he's serious and, right now, cant afford that negativity...

And I see the headline on Browns.com is....."Browns acquire 2nd round pick"........(quote un quote).....

Hahahahaha....douchebaggerypersonified....

I don't disagree with your opinion about how the Browns failed to show favored status regarding Osweiler. Reduces his perceived trade value. A real head scratcher.

That said, I really like how the front office has approached free agency. Zeitler was a huge win (good player AND weakens division rival), Tretter was a must get (now have a true center), Britt is a better version of Pryor (no angst from a whiny head case), and both Collins and Bitonio are locked up. Oh, and the trade for Osweiler was a master stroke - the Browns have the cash to burn and used $16 million of it in a novel way.

I say props to Sashi and his crew. Theyre not playing by the rules. I like what I'm seeing.

Because if they would of promoted it as BO was our QB of the future fans would bitch and moan and the media would think we are stupid.

Hasnt stopped em before......

So, perception of the fans and media is more important than a good poker face at the negotiating table?

Devil's advocate; but maybe they do see him competing for the spot next year, but just threw the 'we don't want him' thing out there to actually generate some interest? If other teams didn't know he was available, they might not even pick up the phone.

So maybe it's another brilliant decision by a group of geniuses? ( < I'll let you guys decide if I should've used pink font for that )

I see no hurry in moving the Brockster... as long as he doesn't slip in the shower or drop a barbell on his foot, he likely only appreciates in value.

Given that apparently we actually got calls about him, there appear to be teams that see something in him I don't. Maybe Elway thinks he can resurrect the 2015 Brockenstein... others as well.

FA has yet to settle out. Still a couple "name QBs" floating around. Let them settle... let the Draft approach... see what happens.

Should he actually make it to OTAs or even TC... so be it... let him in the mix. Even showcase him in a preseason game or two.

So, perception of the fans and media is more important than a good poker face at the negotiating table?

Brock is our starter, BTW does anyone want him for a random draft pick?

Yeah, not a great bluff.

Maybe Osweiler does start a few games in preseason, and really impresses.

It isn't tough to be a lot better than RGIII.....

Maybe in this offense, he does really well... who knows. It's worth a try.

Forget the actual trade and your opinion of what they did. But once the trade was made, the Browns devalued their asset (QB) by mentioning his name as an afterthought and immediately talking about trading or cutting him. Dumb move. Stupid. Even if that's their intention, don't let the world see your cards! What they should have done is embrace him, promote his skills, talk about how it doesn't prevent you from signing, trading or drafting a QB, but BO is a huge upgrade (over RG3) and in the hands of HJ, he could vastly improve his performance over last year. That's what the Patriots are doing with Garopolo. That's how they leverage their asssets in possible trade negotiations. In the NFL, no team wants to buy something that another team is talking about cutting.

I'm still wondering if this F.O. know what their doing. At this point, with the BO trade, the loss of TP and Mitch Swartz and Gabriel last year, I'm very disappointed.

Why the no love? Because NFL GMs saw Texan fans dancing in the streets when the Browns took Osweilier off their hands? Because it wasn't exactly rocket science to see Houston wanted the Brockster gone so bad they were willing to gift us a second round pick for doing them a big favor?

It's been posted in another thread- our current front office is showing some signs of intelligence. We know what the market is for your talent level, and we're not overpaying. That's why Pryor is gone- overvalued himself by at least a couple million and had to sign an inferior contract with the Redskins. Schwartz wound up signing the same contract he would have gotten with the Browns elsewhere. Gabriel? No one's perfect. Belichick might be wishing he didn't unload Collins- especially if he loses Hightower to the Titans or Jets.

Maybe Osweiler does start a few games in preseason, and really impresses.

It isn't tough to be a lot better than RGIII.....

Maybe in this offense, he does really well... who knows. It's worth a try.

The try will be to get another team to take the Brockster off our hands at a big discount. I'm sure you realize that Cal. He was decent with the Broncos, horrible with the Texans. More ints than TDs. Let that be a huge warning to the Garropolo fans, he had more starts under his belt than Jimmy. I can see a plan of rolling with Kessler, and drafting our QBOTF. Is there a chance Osweiler could still be on the team come preseason? Sure- anything's possible. But considering the Browns didn't exactly roll out the Red Carpet for him, do you think he feels his future is in Cleveland?

They've done a lot of stupid shit before. Doesn't make it ok. This is different. Who's negotiating? You really think anyone wants Osweiler right now? You think his huge contract was the only reason why people are staying away from him. He's garbage.

Because if they would of promoted it as BO was our QB of the future fans would bitch and moan and the media would think we are stupid.

I said the exact same thing last year about RGIII.

Wouldn't that be so Browns-of-the-past? To have a QB be an afterthought in the purchase of a draft pick turn out to be our next franchise QB...

Who's negotiating? You really think anyone wants Osweiler right now? You think his huge contract was the only reason why people are staying away from him. He's garbage.

I absolutely think Miami is sniff'n around....Gase had this kid playing pretty decent ball in Denver and with Tannehill's knee still on the mend I'd guess he'd be willing to throw next yrs3rd at us if we eat the bonus.

All playoff teams want a viable option at QB2...And he is a viable option...ask Oakland.

If in fact this FO announced to the world that they'll cut him if they can't trade him ??? Now that is foolish!

It's been posted in another thread- our current front office is showing some signs of intelligence. We know what the market is for your talent level, and we're not overpaying. That's why Pryor is gone- overvalued himself by at least a couple million and had to sign an inferior contract with the Redskins. Schwartz wound up signing the same contract he would have gotten with the Browns elsewhere. Gabriel? No one's perfect. Belichick might be wishing he didn't unload Collins- especially if he loses Hightower to the Titans or Jets.

Seriously? Swartz was willing to come back to the Browns but Sashi pulled the contract. Sounds like Ego > Negotiating Intelligence. That hurt the team. Pryor and Sashi couldn't agree long term - so sign him for a year at $8M ($9M with incentives). But don't let him sign with Washington! We could have had two strong WR's with Coleman in the slot but it slid through Sasha's fingers. And again, that's going to hurt the team.

Oh, and we still don't have a Franchise QB.

So no, I'm not impressed with the FO so far. Please don't hang their hat on paying $16 M on a second rounder. Tell me how well that works out when Pryor makes the pro bowl next year.

First year as a WR with no QB and Pryor gains over 1000 yards and Sashi let him go? With a 1-16 record? Unacceptable! Sorry, no love here! We can't take one step forward and one step backwards!

The principle was, that the Browns offer up a really nice contract, and somebody goes elsewhere and won't sign.

That changes things.

A. He really isn't interested in staying, and is only playing musical chairs to up the money.

B. Once that happens, the Browns rightly choose not to play musical chairs.

C. Once a player shows he really couldn't care less about staying, but is all about playing

one team against another, and the other teams won't pony up, the player has established

a market value for himself, and the Browns can go with said market value.

I don't imagine the Browns know what the other team actually offered..but a dishonest player could say
"well, the redskins offered me 18 million a year, will you match that" when it was not true.

The original offer was way above board, very generous, to get it done before free agency.

Plain and simple, that offer didn't work, so the Browns aren't holding to the original offer, because

the numbnuts player walked away. His arrogance lost him money. Consequences of greed and arrogance.

What is this the difference between getting a fourth round pick with retained salary or getting nothing and cutting him?

Who cares?

Much more important to communicate to your fan base that you didn't acquire Osweiler to be the answer to the question they've been asking for twenty years.

He's a negative-value asset (as evidenced by the trade). At best, his value could potentially be upgraded to neutral by absorbing salary. Not something as a Browns fan that I'm concerned about.

Terrelle Pryor gave the Browns a chance after Redskins offer afterall, source says

Can I swear now? #*%# /$&/@&$!!!!

Regarding Pryor or Schwartz, we don't know what exactly went down in the negotiations. Yeah, possible Pryor came crawling back looking for a one year deal after he figured out Rosenhaus was blowing smoke up his ass about how much he could get him. Is it so terrible the Browns may have said to him- hey, we offered you a very fair deal- more than you found out you could get on the open market. We're not interested in a one year deal, we want you here for the next four. Pryor says nope- I'll go elsewhere and prove I'm worth top 10 wr money in 2018. Browns say good bye and good luck.

It's pretty obvious Sashi and DePo don't like being involved in a bidding war against another team. LOL, for all you know- should the Browns have relented and said OK, one year $8 million, what was to prevent Pryor from running back to Washington before he signed it, and saying- hey here's what Cleveland is offering, can you top that? That might just have been what happened with Schwartz too.

Seriously? Swartz was willing to come back to the Browns but Sashi pulled the contract. Sounds like Ego > Negotiating Intelligence. That hurt the team. Pryor and Sashi couldn't agree long term - so sign him for a year at $8M ($9M with incentives). But don't let him sign with Washington! We could have had two strong WR's with Coleman in the slot but it slid through Sasha's fingers. And again, that's going to hurt the team.

Oh, and we still don't have a Franchise QB.

So no, I'm not impressed with the FO so far. Please don't hang their hat on paying $16 M on a second rounder. Tell me how well that works out when Pryor makes the pro bowl next year.

First year as a WR with no QB and Pryor gains over 1000 yards and Sashi let him go? With a 1-16 record? Unacceptable! Sorry, no love here! We can't take one step forward and one step backwards!

Fair points. I don't know if it it ego...or analytics that said not to keep Schwartz and Pryor at the money it would have taken to keep them. Perhaps a combination of both. But, if it is ego....the owner needs to put a hammer down on that bullshit right fucking now.

The principle was, that the Browns offer up a really nice contract, and somebody goes elsewhere and won't sign.

That changes things.

A. He really isn't interested in staying, and is only playing musical chairs to up the money.

B. Once that happens, the Browns rightly choose not to play musical chairs.

C. Once a player shows he really couldn't care less about staying, but is all about playing

one team against another, and the other teams won't pony up, the player has established

a market value for himself, and the Browns can go with said market value.

I don't imagine the Browns know what the other team actually offered..but a dishonest player could say

"well, the redskins offered me 18 million a year, will you match that" when it was not true.

The original offer was way above board, very generous, to get it done before free agency.

Plain and simple, that offer didn't work, so the Browns aren't holding to the original offer, because

the numbnuts player walked away. His arrogance lost him money. Consequences of greed and arrogance.

Is that a fact....did the Browns offer him more money pre FA period than he eventually signed for? If so...how would we know that?

Everyone knows Brock sucks. Us pretending we want him as our QB, when we very clearly don't,won't change that.

Except...now, perhaps the Browns may indeed want him to compete for the starter job.

No worse than having RGIII, Josh McCown, Kessler try to compete.

Archived