THE BROWNS BOARD

Article On Nfl.com: Weeden Most Improved Qb For 2013

darubes

Most Improved for 2013: Brandon Weeden heads quarterbacks
  • bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
  • Published: June 26, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.
  • Updated: June 26, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.
  • 0 Likes | 0 Comments

It happens every fall. A player bursts onto the scene, makes a big play or helps his team win a pivotal game, and the collective football world celebrates his arrival as a true difference maker in the NFL. Let's get ahead of the curve! In advance of the 2013 season, NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks identifies candidates for significant improvement, concentrating on quarterbacks below.

Most Improved Quarterback for 2013: Brandon Weeden

Weeden's backstory: The Cleveland Browns drafted Weeden with the 22nd selection in the 2012 NFL Draft, hoping to solve the team's long-term woes at quarterback. Entering the NFL at age 28 -- thanks to a five-year stint in professional baseball -- Weeden was expected to step in and immediately contribute, while adding much-needed leadership and guidance in the huddle. Additionally, the Oklahoma State product's big arm was supposed to add a vertical element to the Browns' aerial attack, resulting in more explosive plays and points.

In hindsight, former head coach Pat Shurmur's dink-and-dunk offense didn't play to Weeden's strengths as a deep-ball thrower. And the inexperience permeating Cleveland's receiving corps led to several miscues in key moments. Factor in the difficult transition from college to the pro game, and it's not surprising Weeden struggled to live up to lofty expectations as a rookie.

Why he will improve in 2013: New head coach Rob Chudzinski and new offensive coordinator Norv Turner will make Weeden a vastly improved player in his sophomore campaign. Each brings a distinguished track record of success developing young quarterbacks in a scheme originally derived from the Don Coryell/Ernie Zampese system.

Chudzinski, who served as the Carolina Panthers' offensive coordinator before returning to his former employer in Cleveland, helped Cam Newton become the first rookie to pass for 4,000 yards in 2011. In his first two NFL seasons, Newton guided an offense that ranked sixth in completions of 20-plus yards in both 2011 and 2012. However, Chudzinski's work with Newton pales in comparison to his masterful job of transforming Derek Anderson into a Pro Bowl quarterback as the Browns' offensive coordinator in 2007. Prominently targeting Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow in the vertical-based passing game, Anderson threw for 3,787 yards with 29 touchdown passes (and 19 interceptions), leading theBrowns to their only 10-win season since 1994.

Turner has also developed an esteemed reputation as a quarterback guru, having worked with a bevy of notable signal-callers, including Troy Aikman and most recently Philip Rivers. Rivers passed for 4,500-plus yards in back-to-back seasons (2010 and '11), a feat accomplished just five times in NFL history. In addition, Turner has coached the NFL's leading rusher five times. A productive ground attack sets up a dangerous play-action passing game that typically results in several big plays on the perimeter.

Given Weeden's strengths as a deep-ball thrower, the marriage with a pair of vertical-pass proponents should yield big results for the Browns. Chudzinski and Turner will craft game plans that routinely feature deep shots off an assortment of play-action fakes designed to lure linebackers and safeties to the line, while exploiting single coverage on talented young receivers Josh Gordon and Greg Little. With Trent Richardson likely commanding eight-man fronts due to Cleveland's increased commitment to the running game, Weeden should be able to make more vertical throws like the one highlighted in the video just above.

Factor in the invaluable experience gained from Weeden's 15-game stint as a rookie starter -- he missed the season finale with a spained right shoulder -- and the second-year man will not only thrive in a system conducive to his talents, but he will silence the critics questioning his potential as a franchise quarterback.

Impact on the team: The Browns will be very competitive in the AFC North, with Weeden, Richardson and Gordon emerging as a formidable offensive trio. It will not be enough to make a playoff push, but a .500 season is a realistic possibility in 2013.

Projected 2013 stat line: 59.5 completion percentage, 3,950 passing yards, 28 touchdowns, 13 interceptions.

Wow! A positive article about the Browns. About time.

I believe everything written here to be true. Weeden has all the natural ability in the world to be a great QB. Will he turn that ability into results? That's the question...

Can Norv turn Weeden, Richardson, Gordon into the Aikman, Smith, Irving trio? I guess we'll find out.

Wow! A positive article about the Browns. About time.

I believe everything written here to be true. Weeden has all the natural ability in the world to be a great QB. Will he turn that ability into results? That's the question...

Can Norv turn Weeden, Richardson, Gordon into the Aikman, Smith, Irving trio? I guess we'll find out.

Calm it down, buddy. Lets get more than 7 wins before we start throwing around Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith comparisons.

Wait... Weeden is the best player on our roster? Why do you say that? Joe Thomas has played in five Pro Bowls. Haden is one of the top five or so corners in the NFL. DQJ has two Pro Bowl Alternate years and led the NFL in tackles once. Weeden ranked 30th in PR, right?

I'm not being coy. I just don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Calm it down, buddy. Lets get more than 7 wins before we start throwing around Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith comparisons.

Never compared them, other than it's 3 guys who play the same positions. I was merely hoping for something great to happen in Cleveland. I can hope, right?

Wait... Weeden is the best player on our roster? Why do you say that? Joe Thomas has played in five Pro Bowls. Haden is one of the top five or so corners in the NFL. DQJ has two Pro Bowl Alternate years and led the NFL in tackles once. Weeden ranked 30th in PR, right?

I'm not being coy. I just don't know how you came to that conclusion.

I'm pretty sure he was only referring to the QB position. Sheesh.

I took it as Weeden is the best qb on the roster...

That is the way I took Jrb's comment too.

As for the article, about the only thing I didn't care for was the predicted completion percentage that Brooks assigned Brandon. If Brandon isn't in the 65% range or better, I will be disappointed. Otherwise, it was nice after the La Camfora article and the LeBron thing. If we can just get Josh into training camp with only the two game suspension, things should be looking up.

Never compared them, other than it's 3 guys who play the same positions. I was merely hoping for something great to happen in Cleveland. I can hope, right?

As a Cleveland fan you should have learned long ago that they're is no such thing as hope. Only disappointment.

As a Cleveland fan you should have learned long ago that they're is no such thing as hope. Only disappointment.

That's where you're wrong my friend. You literally can't have disapointment without some hope; therefore, they must co-exist. I have 2 choices, 1) expect bad to happen only to meet my expectations if the team stinks, and be surprised if they win, or 2) hope for something good, and be disappointed.if they lose or feel very justified in my relentless optimism and faith that eventually this team will turn it around.

if Flash is up to the task Weeds laser is gonna achieve Aaron Rogers level play this season.

..but if Josh doesn't get a clue soon the city will run him the fuck outta town and dub him the next ModellaBron. bank it. wake up kids! or itll be more easy come easy go.

even though i didn't like the weeden pick, i think he's the best we got right now. if he becomes more accurate with his deep balls, quits telegraphing the pick six screen and learns to read the defense they throw out there against him, i think we could see an .500 season.

if the defense can put it together in horton's first year and actually win us a couple more, i'm smellin playoffs.

not for nothing and i know it's weird, but with the new ownership (please let that flying j shit go away) and the new staff and our sophmore guys with the young talent on d...................i haven't been this optimistic since our first year back.

Its all up to Weeden to own the 2nd and 4th quarters of games..I couldnt give 2 shits about QB rating/percentage...its about W's and thats the bottom line...

i hope Weeds main focus is to continue to work on executing the two minute. once he has that long drives can be achieved through effective play calling.

a fast start and early lead is more important than anything though. strike hard and fast in first half, then let Tr3nt and Obby take it home in the 2nd. if they can do that they will win games easier...the alternative will be struggling to win down to the last second.

Oh, my bad. Came from a board with some REALLY insane hyperbole about any number of things, have to recalibrate my reactive instincts (!).

For the sake of honesty, I pimped Tannehill/Martin a ton before the draft and I'd still do that in a heartbeat. But that ship has sailed and I do have a reasonable amount of hope for Weeden. Didn't really hate the pick but I thought a lot more of Tannehill than most Browns fans and still do.

If this regime was in charge then, I have zero doubt that would've been the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7480/brandon-weeden

Jaworski has reviewed all the film on Weeds and believes he will be a "rock solid starter" in the NFL. I believe Jaws is a solid evaluator of mechanics etc.. Weeds just needs to improve on his reads and he's on the way. Said Weeds "showed uncommon poise and calm in the pocket".

Just saw the Jaws report on ESPN. He did have a lot of nice things to say about Weeden, but only ranked him #26 of the starting qbs- mainly because of rookie mistakes.

I wonder how many of Weeden's mistakes resulted from the Shurmur systems in place?

Shurmur had a hell of a time trying to get the plays in quickly enough. That's a very bad sign...

My guess is, Weeden will begin to be very successful with people that really know what they're doing.

I wonder how many of Weeden's mistakes resulted from the Shurmur systems in place?

Shurmur had a hell of a time trying to get the plays in quickly enough. That's a very bad sign...

My guess is, Weeden will begin to be very successful with people that really know what they're doing.

I'm onboard with you on that one, I believe all of Weeden's issues were a direct result of the system he was in, ex. calling a handoff to a TE that never carried the ball before. I am expecting a breakout season for our entire offense.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7480/brandon-weeden

Jaworski has reviewed all the film on Weeds and believes he will be a "rock solid starter" in the NFL. I believe Jaws is a solid evaluator of mechanics etc.. Weeds just needs to improve on his reads and he's on the way. Said Weeds "showed uncommon poise and calm in the pocket".

To play devils advocate, I legitimately can't think of a time outside of Tim Tebow where Jaws doesn't say nice things about an NFL player. It seems like every person he talks about is good.

Yeah. Players had to have ZERO confidence in a coaching staff that failed to get plays in quickly. That'll change dramatically!

Mike

Archived