THE BROWNS BOARD

Navy Bans Chaplain

OldBrownsFan

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine girls did not arouse you. What would you do?

If heterosexual contact was against the law and I realized I would be imprisoned and probably tortured or killed by other inmates I will be forced to choose celibacy. you can't control the desire, you can control your own actions albeit with great difficulty.

WSS

Pedophiles can make a conscious decision not to attack children. Homosexuals cannot make the conscious decision to stop from getting aroused by one sex and not the other. From what I can tell there is absolutely nothing they can do to control it.

I see your point, but it is a bit extreme comparing pedophiles to homosexuals.

Dude, your "infallible" truth is an arguably fictional book. Who is to say your bible is more right than the Koran? You, and like minded people like yourself, that's who. I respect Christians and their beliefs, and I was raised in a catholic family. A lot of good can come from being a Christian and a man of God, but when you start to mix faith and beliefs with fact and reason I cannot side with faith.

We are getting a bit off-topic here. Back to the OP, I think it is absurd that the military may ban this man regardless of his beliefs. For Christ's sake (laughed a bit as I typed that) that is what the men and women in uniform are fighting to protect.

It is not off topic because it is the Chaplain's belief in what the bible says over political correctness that got him banned.

If heterosexual contact was against the law and I realized I would be imprisoned and probably tortured or killed by other inmates I will be forced to choose celibacy. you can't control the desire, you can control your own actions albeit with great difficulty.

WSS

Homosexual contact is also not against the law..? I'm assuming you're talking about pedophilia, which is completely different like I said earlier. One is illegal and the other is not. Both could be argued as "wrong" but in one case you are taking advantage of a minor and the other is a consensual act between adults.

So back to my question now that we are on track, if you were not aroused by girls then what would you do? Control your urges for your entire life? What about when your friends catch on that you haven't been with a girl in forever. You cannot fake it obviously because you can't get your prick up in bed for a girl. Put yourself in those shoes for a second and think about it. Having a friend in this situation was really eye opening to me.

It is not off topic because it is the Chaplain's belief in what the bible says over political correctness that got him banned.

I think we were discussing the morality of homosexuality versus the freedom of religion which is what I believe the OP is about. And for the record I completely believe that it is within a chaplain's right to give service to who he sees fit. The bible says homosexuality is wrong, but I know there are gay members of my mother's church.. so do they not get to pray just because they are sinners? We are all sinners. This is not a black and white subject to me

Homosexual contact is also not against the law..? I'm assuming you're talking about pedophilia, which is completely different like I said earlier. One is illegal and the other is not. Both could be argued as "wrong" but in one case you are taking advantage of a minor and the other is a consensual act between adults.

So back to my question now that we are on track, if you were not aroused by girls then what would you do? Control your urges for your entire life? What about when your friends catch on that you haven't been with a girl in forever. You cannot fake it obviously because you can't get your prick up in bed for a girl. Put yourself in those shoes for a second and think about it. Having a friend in this situation was really eye opening to me.

I don't know exactly what you are talking about and it seems you don't either or at the very least you are being unclear. Homosexuality, heterosexuality pedophilia are conditions that apparently cannot be changed. One is against the law, one offends many members of society and one is generally accepted. None of the three can apparently be cured. That's my point.

Again to answer your question if acting upon any urge is outside of our social mores and or against the law your only choice is to abstain from that behavior.

WSS

Pedophiles can make a conscious decision not to attack children. Homosexuals cannot make the conscious decision to stop from getting aroused by one sex and not the other. From what I can tell there is absolutely nothing they can do to control it.

Um no...pedophiles are aroused at the thought of making love (you call it "attacking") to children, an act openly practiced by the ancient Greeks, Romans, Japanese, and who knows who else.....oh and Muslims.

The only reason pedophiles are able make a conscious decision not to "attack" children is because they know their ass could end up in jail.

Um no...pedophiles are aroused at the thought of making love (you call it "attacking") to children, an act openly practiced by the ancient Greeks, Romans, Japanese, and who knows who else.....oh and Muslims.

The only reason pedophiles are able make a conscious decision not to "attack" children is because they know their ass could end up in jail.

Actually it refers to prepubescent children. 13 or 14 year olds and up would be a separate classification. Hence pedophilia is an unnatural act considering the need and reasoning of mammals to reproduce.

I think we were discussing the morality of homosexuality versus the freedom of religion which is what I believe the OP is about. And for the record I completely believe that it is within a chaplain's right to give service to who he sees fit. The bible says homosexuality is wrong, but I know there are gay members of my mother's church.. so do they not get to pray just because they are sinners? We are all sinners. This is not a black and white subject to me

The first person who made an impact on me with Christianity was a football coach who never once quoted the bible or even mentioned God. There was just something different about him that made me like him. Maybe it was because he was the coach who didn't cuss or swear at the players?? Anyway he is a pastor of a church today and I know now why he was different than the other coaches. I try to follow his example in that actions speak louder than words. I don't try to beat gay people down but I just cannot accept what the bible is against.

I see your point, but it is a bit extreme comparing pedophiles to homosexuals.

Dude, your "infallible" truth is an arguably fictional book. Who is to say your bible is more right than the Koran? You, and like minded people like yourself, that's who. I respect Christians and their beliefs, and I was raised in a catholic family. A lot of good can come from being a Christian and a man of God, but when you start to mix faith and beliefs with fact and reason I cannot side with faith.

We are getting a bit off-topic here. Back to the OP, I think it is absurd that the military may ban this man regardless of his beliefs. For Christ's sake (laughed a bit as I typed that) that is what the men and women in uniform are fighting to protect.

The Koran and the bible are a lot more alike than they are different. The main and mostly Retarded conflict largely has to do with who you venerate as a prophet.

Pedophilia involves sexual relations with minors that's do not have the ability to consent. That is why it is clearly different than homosexuality, which involves two consenting adults.

Yes, both are genetic. Everything about you is determined by your genetics. Just because you can't decide whether you're attracted to minors, doesn't mean it should allowed. Again, minors can't consent.

I thought we already settled this discussion?

Pedophilia involves sexual relations with minors that's do not have the ability to consent. That is why it is clearly different than homosexuality, which involves two consenting adults.

Yes, both are genetic. Everything about you is determined by your genetics. Just because you can't decide whether you're attracted to minors, doesn't mean it should allowed. Again, minors can't consent.

I thought we already settled this discussion?

Apparently not since you seem to be confused.

WSS

This is the second or third time today I've read a post where you call out the other guy for not understanding the topic, or being confused, or whatever....

Do you actually have anything to add or debate here? Tell me what you think I'm confused about... Go for it

I disagree with you saying I was confused....

For the reason I mentioned, I'm not sure how you can equate pedophilia and homosexuality in that way. Using it as a scare tactic to say "if one is legal, then the other has to be too! They're both born like that!" is flawed reasoning.

I disagree with you saying I was confused....

For the reason I mentioned, I'm not sure how you can equate pedophilia and homosexuality in that way. Using it as a scare tactic to say "if one is legal, then the other has to be too! They're both born like that!" is flawed reasoning.

That's not the point at all. You really are confused.

The flawed reasoning is thinking that because someone is born a particular way should carry a classification of right or wrong or normal.

Society determines the right and wrong.

WSS

I don't care what's "normal". I'm 6'4", that's not normal. It's genetic though.

Anyone making the argument "gay marriage should be illegal because its abnormal" is making a terrible argument.

Likewise, saying "being gay is normal, so it should be legal" also isn't much of any argument.

Anyone making the argument "gay marriage should be illegal because its abnormal" is making a terrible argument.

Likewise, saying "being gay is normal, so it should be legal" also isn't much of any argument.

Actually it probably is normal woody. I'd say anywhere from 4 feet up to seven feet is within the range of normal. Not normal might be being born without arms or legs or with a cleft palate or Siamese twins.

But yes that example would be a terrible reason to argue against gay marriage. The morality of gay marriage is decided by society. and though we only have polling data it seems like most people don't care.

WSS

In the end, taking an old book as your infallible truth, with no other reasoning other than faith, doesn't make much sense to me.

I understand where you are coming from, faith does not make sense sometimes. One of our best friends is a gay woman who we treat like family. She knows we can never approve of her lifestyle. We just try and set a good example for her by how we live.

I'm 6'4" so if at least two people in this limited scale are that height it's not exactly abnormal

I understand where you are coming from, faith does not make sense sometimes. One of our best friends is a gay woman who we treat like family. She knows we can never approve of her lifestyle. We just try and set a good example for her by how we live.

Ok, but why can't you tolerate it? Why does your faith have to include thinking the gay lifestyle is sin? And does this mean you need to follow everything in the bible word for word?

Don't you think it I a little arrogant to say, by not being gay, you're setting a good example for her?

I'm 6'4" so if at least two people in this limited scale are that height it's not exactly abnormal

That's not how statistics works, lol

But, my point is the whole "normal / abnormal" thing is really how you define it. If gay is abnormal, so is 6'4". If 6'4" is normal, so is gay

Listen this is one of the areas where I'm actually quite liberal. I literally do not give the first shit if gay people get married. If their choices aren't hurting you or anyone else leave then alone to do their thing. Abortion is hurting people. Gay marriage is not.

Ok, but why can't you tolerate it? Why does your faith have to include thinking the gay lifestyle is sin? And does this mean you need to follow everything in the bible word for word?

Don't you think it I a little arrogant to say, by not being gay, you're setting a good example for her?

I think she would tell you we set a good example for her even if we cannot approve of her lifestye.

Archived