THE BROWNS BOARD

Pryor to Redskins

The Gipper

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd ask you to go more into detail on this. If we keep the tag on TP as noted he would cost the Browns $16 or so million. I get and understand the idea a contract can be negotiated during this time, but assuming he signs the tag that's overpaying for TP given his career production wouldn't you agree?

If we sign him to a contract with about that same money guaranteed (again, my target would be something like 4 yr/$35 million with $16-20 mil guaranteed) and back-load it, we would be paying the guy roughly the same amount of money over the first two years of the contract to include his guarantees. If the dudes balls out he's worth the $9-10 million you're giving him in the last two years of the deal in this back load scenario. If he bottoms out (which still is a concern of mine as it should be for the Browns) after two years you release him for the cap space. I prefer option two because it provides much more stability without nearly as much cost.

Sure... start with this...

When you have cap space now, then you front load contracts. Bringing the bulk of the guaranteed money to year one keeps the books clear in the out years for resigning other talent and making that last FA push.

But even setting that aside...

Your offer, which would be rejected IMO, pays out $9mm in round numbers in year one. The tag estimate for WRs I've seen are a shade over $15mm. So it appears I am paying a $6mm premium for "one more look".

However, if your guaranteed money is truly guaranteed, and is not of that roster bonus, soft-money variety, then you paid ~$22mm for that same look. And, again, the only way I can see your offer having chance of being acceptable is if the guaranteed amount was absolute.

The way your approach pays off is if TP turns out to be the real deal. A status I do not see at this time.

All the above said hang with me one more second while I restate my original contract position for TP, an incentive-laden package.

Take your base, or even a slightly lower one... say $8mm/yr, or $32mm for four-years, with about 50% guaranteed of which half is payable at signing. A total of $12mm upfront.

Layer atop that base up to $4mm/yr in incentives ranging from the mundane games played to catches/yards/TDs payable at season's end. If he emerges as a #1, this let's him be paid as one.

Ramp up of the base and incentives in the out years can be negotiated, as could a 5th-year option. The ramp ups might even be based upon prior years' cumulative bonus payouts, if league rules/the CBA allow such arrangements.

More than half his yards came in 4 games. Those other games he was a relative non-factor. Not really consistent imo. He still has room to grow an is worth the investment, as he works hard and want to improve.

thats because he needs another wideout that is a factor. julio jones would not have have the yds he gets if he did not have all those other weapons on the field..

haden is done...too many injuries, a piece of shit defense that cannot rush the qb to help him out...1 more cuss and he's cooked for his career...

Who knows, maybe. Or he may make a comeback. If he is healthy I still think he is capable. Should the Browns plan for a future without him. Yes, almost certainly.

haden is done...too many injuries, a piece of shit defense that cannot rush the qb to help him out...1 more cuss and he's cooked for his career...

Regarding the concussion- probably. Regarding done, done. I'm not sure. He played hurt all last year. A DB playing on bum legs can look washed up.

Who knows, maybe. Or he may make a comeback. If he is healthy I still think he is capable. Should the Browns plan for a future without him. Yes, almost certainly.

^ We will certainly draft a CB somewhere in April. Probably high.

Let me try to follow the logic here - we had a good young corner that we drafted high and who played well; he went to the pro-bowl; we signed him to a long contract extension; he then went to another pro-bowl; he's been injured a lot the last couple of year; therefore we shouldn't sign anyone to a contract extension?

Sound.

Not the logic. The logic is don't overpay to keep someone in Cleveland because the rest of the team stinks. Even if Haden hadn't gotten hurt he would have been a Mercedes hood ornament on a Pinto.

From what I understand, the Browns could, rather than franchise tag Pryor, place the "Transition Tag" on him. So, that means that rather than having to pay him the average of the top 5 receivers in the league, they can simply match what he may receive in an offer sheet that someone else would agree to pay him. Does anyone see any other team offering TP 16 mill per? I don't.

So, this may be a good solution. TP tests the market, the Browns can match and keep him...if they feel the deal is not against their best interests, and they have him for another year in which they can continue to negotiate with him.

Transition tag: Think of this as the "you are pretty good, and we might want to keep you, but aren't willing to put a ring on you ourselves" tag. The transition designation is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position -- as opposed to top five. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player might receive from another team, but no compensation if the team chooses not to match.

Each team can only use one of the above tags in a given year -- meaning they can't designate both a franchise and transition player. A player can be tagged up to three times by his team, with a bump in pay each time.

Teams can rescind the franchise or transition tag -- as we saw with Josh Norman last year -- if the offer sheet hasn't been signed. Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season. A rescinded tag counts as a tag, meaning a team can't designate one player, rescind it and use a new tag on another player in the same year.

I gotta think about that logic,,,,,,dont resign your good players unless you have a roster full of good players?

How does one accomplish that?

You know the old saying... "You have to start nowhere."

I gotta think about that logic,,,,,,dont resign your good players unless you have a roster full of good players?

How does one accomplish that?

That's not the logic either. Haden at 5 years $52 million would have been fine by me. 5 years at $67 million was overpaying for an unnecessary piece. Making him the highest paid DB at the time isn't what the Browns needed. Terrell Pryor isn't a top 20 WR so to overpay him to keep him in Cleveland is a mistake given that's not what the team needs. If the Browns continue to overpay to keep "names" or fan favorites they'll never been successful.

That's not the logic either. Haden at 5 years $52 million would have been fine by me. 5 years at $67 million was overpaying for an unnecessary piece. Making him the highest paid DB at the time isn't what the Browns needed. Terrell Pryor isn't a top 20 WR so to overpay him to keep him in Cleveland is a mistake given that's not what the team needs. If the Browns continue to overpay to keep "names" or fan favorites they'll never been successful.

Pray tell WHAT, in your opinion, the Browns NEED? Please reply before the combine & free agency & please be specific. Surely you have an idea since you know specifically what they DON'T need.

Mike

thats because he needs another wideout that is a factor. julio jones would not have have the yds he gets if he did not have all those other weapons on the field..

?

What other weapons?

?

Did you just compare Pryor to Jones?

Jesus fucking Christ...

So, are you saying that the team does not need a quality, big play WR? Which TP can be.

Sure, I would not pay him franchise tag money. That is why...if a deal can't be done, that the Transition tag may be a very viable option.

Think about it: one year the Browns Transition tagged Alex Mack. It worked out. He got an offer they matched. They should have franchise tagged him the next year. But no, they let him go in FA.

Now, Mack WAS a guy that was worth the average of the top 5 paid OCs in the game, because he was one of the Top 5 OCs in the game. Sure, TP is not that, but he is worth trying to keep through hook or by crook.

Pray tell WHAT, in your opinion, the Browns NEED? Please reply before the combine & free agency & please be specific. Surely you have an idea since you know specifically what they DON'T need.

Mike

I think they need a pass rushing end, an ILB that can be effective in pass protection but is fierce against the run and another DB.

So, are you saying that the team does not need a quality, big play WR? Which TP can be.

Sure, I would not pay him franchise tag money. That is why...if a deal can't be done, that the Transition tag may be a very viable option.

Think about it: one year the Browns Transition tagged Alex Mack. It worked out. He got an offer they matched. They should have franchise tagged him the next year. But no, they let him go in FA.

Now, Mack WAS a guy that was worth the average of the top 5 paid OCs in the game, because he was one of the Top 5 OCs in the game. Sure, TP is not that, but he is worth trying to keep through hook or by crook.

Mack was a proven talent when he was tagged. TP is all guesswork. He had 5 really good games and 8 turds. What we all suffer from, myself included, is this need to find a glimmer of hope in this tire fire. Over the last few years it was Joe Haden, Jordan Cameron, Josh Gordon, Duke Johnson, Gary Barnidge and now Pryor. Problem is Haden has been hurt, Gordon is a pot head and the others are mediocre at best.

Mack was a proven talent

While you're reminding us which of our Pro Bowl vets deserve salary increases and what ones don't - I didn't hear you fussing about Mack getting injured right after he received the best contract of his career here. He only lasted about 5-6 games before going on IR in 2014 right? You must have known you'd need to save all your bellyache exclusively on Joe Haden.

Mack's best days either included Eric Steinbach to his immediate left or the zone blocking scheme that was brought here in 2014-2015. Understanding Mack's offense at Cal used a zbs - it only made sense both Mack & Schwartz played some of their best football here in that scheme All the time in between, Mack made no difference whatsoever in our ability to run inside of tackle. While he was very efficient in a zbs, he seemed pedestrian in other offensive systems. Unfortunately so did a lot of our other guys. It only made sense he carefully selected the zbs and our previous OC in Atlanta. Glad it all worked out for him. That said, the month we had both Bitonio and Greco healthy in 2016, Crow was averaging over 6.2 yards a carry here.

The last Center that came here and made a difference between winning and losing was Hank Fraley. That was the very same 2007 season we went all in on a Free Agent contract that was supposed to make a previously un-injured LeCharles Bentley the highest paid Center the free agent market had ever seen. If we didn't already over-invest in Jeff Faine, that might not have been necessary. In any event, our expensive Bentley got permanently parked in the very first practice at training camp before old man Fraley jumper cabled our offense with leadership of communicating upfront and an ability to pull around end when/if necessary as a 33-34 year old Center. That was quite the pleasant surprise considering the alternatives auditioned behind door #1, door #2, door #3, door #4 etc. The next time we gave a Center that kind of LeCharles Bentley money, it was 2014 when Mack only lasted about a 3rd of the season. He left our 2nd Pittsburgh matchup when we were losing with minus yards rushing in the first half prior to the about face upfront that enabled us to beat the same team on the same day rather easily. I think Mack only contributed to 3 of the wins in our surprising 7-4 start, For all the love and adoration Mack gets from our fans - the washed-up pronounced Hank Fraley Philly demoted gave our offense every bit as much as Mack ever has. The way our training camp and season opener looked in 2007, we didn't look like we were destined for a 10 win season. The biggest thing our history reminded me of with the Center position since we bought a Bentley after over-investing in Faine is we've never had to overpay/over-invest at this position. Anyone remember us kicking an efficient Mike Baab out of town for Greg Rackoczy near the top of round 2? That went over like a fart in church. Most recently, we found an upgrade to Farmer's 1st round Center on Washington's practice squad just to remind us how many land mines our next front office needs to resolve. Gee, why would we ever want to pay attention to our history here?

Now onto your misguided Joe Haden tantrum. Most fans willing to bigger picture our defense realize Joe Haden might look pretty freakin good if we ever gave him a halfway decent pass rush to lean on. Another thing that guys who actually watch this defense play would notice about Haden prior to earning his big contract extension was how well he tackled people either in open fields or against all those RBs easily getting past our front 7 defenders (ranking with anchors vrs the run). How many of those RBs had full heads of steam while Haden was stepping up to make the tackle? He also did the little things like coming off his man to help tackle countless uncovered TEs. Sometimes the biggest difference between a keeper and a good riddance is the willingness to do all the inconvenient parts of the job beyond the glamor boy stats. Haden wasn't the only DB getting concussed or trying to play injured behind our front 7. For a guy that can't wait to jump all over the ideas and suggestions of others in here - there isn't a fan that understands Haden less. You'd hate Eric Berry - he actually had to miss football because of cancer while a next generation brat like you can only think how dare him.

Flugs-I agree totally on Haden-the guy is a true Brown who has given his all with a total lack of a pass rush and little help from the front 7 in the running game. He has almost had to be a CB/SS all wrapped into one because of the rest of the D being so poor at what they were supposed to be doing. He's paid a heavy injury price for that sacrifice.b

EDIT: I hope to God every pick we get has a BPA at that time that also happens to be a defender. I want to see the Browns with a real formidable defense for a change.

While you're reminding us which of our Pro Bowl vets deserve salary increases and what ones don't - I didn't hear you fussing about Mack getting injured right after he received the best contract of his career here. He only lasted about 5-6 games before going on IR in 2014 right? You must have known you'd need to save all your bellyache exclusively on Joe Haden.

Mack's best days either included Eric Steinbach to his immediate left or the zone blocking scheme that was brought here in 2014-2015. Understanding Mack's offense at Cal used a zbs - it only made sense both Mack & Schwartz played some of their best football here in that scheme All the time in between, Mack made no difference whatsoever in our ability to run inside of tackle. While he was very efficient in a zbs, he seemed pedestrian in other offensive systems. Unfortunately so did a lot of our other guys. It only made sense he carefully selected the zbs and our previous OC in Atlanta. Glad it all worked out for him. That said, the month we had both Bitonio and Greco healthy in 2016, Crow was averaging over 6.2 yards a carry here.

The last Center that came here and made a difference between winning and losing was Hank Fraley. That was the very same 2007 season we went all in on a Free Agent contract that was supposed to make a previously un-injured LeCharles Bentley the highest paid Center the free agent market had ever seen. If we didn't already over-invest in Jeff Faine, that might not have been necessary. In any event, our expensive Bentley got permanently parked in the very first practice at training camp before old man Fraley jumper cabled our offense with leadership of communicating upfront and an ability to pull around end when/if necessary as a 33-34 year old Center. That was quite the pleasant surprise considering the alternatives auditioned behind door #1, door #2, door #3, door #4 etc. The next time we gave a Center that kind of LeCharles Bentley money, it was 2014 when Mack only lasted about a 3rd of the season. He left our 2nd Pittsburgh matchup when we were losing with minus yards rushing in the first half prior to the about face upfront that enabled us to beat the same team on the same day rather easily. I think Mack only contributed to 3 of the wins in our surprising 7-4 start, For all the love and adoration Mack gets from our fans - the washed-up pronounced Hank Fraley Philly demoted gave our offense every bit as much as Mack ever has. The way our training camp and season opener looked in 2007, we didn't look like we were destined for a 10 win season. The biggest thing our history reminded me of with the Center position since we bought a Bentley after over-investing in Faine is we've never had to overpay/over-invest at this position. Anyone remember us kicking an efficient Mike Baab out of town for Greg Rackoczy near the top of round 2? That went over like a fart in church. Most recently, we found an upgrade to Farmer's 1st round Center on Washington's practice squad just to remind us how many land mines our next front office needs to resolve. Gee, why would we ever want to pay attention to our history here?

Now onto your misguided Joe Haden tantrum. Most fans willing to bigger picture our defense realize Joe Haden might look pretty freakin good if we ever gave him a halfway decent pass rush to lean on. Another thing that guys who actually watch this defense play would notice about Haden prior to earning his big contract extension was how well he tackled people either in open fields or against all those RBs easily getting past our front 7 defenders (ranking with anchors vrs the run). How many of those RBs had full heads of steam while Haden was stepping up to make the tackle? He also did the little things like coming off his man to help tackle countless uncovered TEs. Sometimes the biggest difference between a keeper and a good riddance is the willingness to do all the inconvenient parts of the job beyond the glamor boy stats. Haden wasn't the only DB getting concussed or trying to play injured behind our front 7. For a guy that can't wait to jump all over the ideas and suggestions of others in here - there isn't a fan that understands Haden less. You'd hate Eric Berry - he actually had to miss football because of cancer while a next generation brat like you can only think how dare him.

Didn't sign Mack we tagged him. Never said we we should've paid him what Atlanta did but tagging him made sense at the time. Thanks for typing 3 paragraphs as if I supported signing Mack to a large contract.

I get that you got all butt hurt over the Howard discussion but please read what I wrote. I didn't address any of Haden's flaws, pretty much gave him a pass due to injury, but more addressed the fact that his contract made no sense for a rebuilding franchise. At the time Haden was inked our defense was lackluster and overall the team was terrible.

Flugs-I agree totally on Haden-the guy is a true Brown who has given his all with a total lack of a pass rush and little help from the front 7 in the running game. He has almost had to be a CB/SS all wrapped into one because of the rest of the D being so poor at what they were supposed to be doing. He's paid a heavy injury price for that sacrifice.b

EDIT: I hope to God every pick we get has a BPA at that time that also happens to be a defender. I want to see the Browns with a real formidable defense for a change.

Thanks Aggies! Sounds like a sensible plan.There's a lot of defensive guys I'd love to see on our doorstep throughout the draft.

The only offensive prospect that really intrigues me at #12 is OJ Howard and I've never been a TE fan in round 1. I just think of how Hue used Eifert for 13 TD receptions in 2015 and how OJ x-factored up 200 yards receiving and 2 TDs during Bama's last National Championship. That speed and ideal wing span can be utilized way better downfield than the traditional Kyle Bradys people like to stereotype the TE position to today. Evolved thinking takes a Graham/Gronk/Gates/Olsen/Sharpe and lines them up outside and all over the formation so their QBs can lean on them heavily. Besides, the draft is deep at Safety and corner after we land our edge rusher at #1 overall. We also have tons of money to lasso up some yes tags in free agency. Not to mention, our best defensive lineman Des Bryant returns to our front 7 with fresh legs and a flexibility to play inside or outside.

If Davis Webb is on our door step in a bargain spot, he'd be my other offensive guy to go after.

Didn't sign Mack we tagged him. Never said we we should've paid him what Atlanta did but tagging him made sense at the time. Thanks for typing 3 paragraphs as if I supported signing Mack to a large contract.

I get that you got all butt hurt over the Howard discussion but please read what I wrote. I didn't address any of Haden's flaws, pretty much gave him a pass due to injury, but more addressed the fact that his contract made no sense for a rebuilding franchise. At the time Haden was inked our defense was lackluster and overall the team was terrible.

And how do you suppose we kept Mack here after another team like Jax offered him up the most money of any player in the NFL at his position? We paid him more $ than Jax was willing to in order to keep him. Did this keep him healthy in 2014, which of course was one of the biggest reasons you needed Tampons in Aisle 3 to plug up your Haden pms right?

I didn't mind any of the adults that disagreed about Howard because they weren't acting like they were in 2nd grade while they explained why. No butt hurtsies at all. My reaction toward you in that thread was from a perspective of surprise that I never follow you around or go out of my way twice in 1 thread to disrespect your opinion prior to joining your precedent with me. As I explained, I let the 1st one go before I got to enjoy how you handled the karma.

And didn't a couple adults address your concerns about re-signing good football players in this thread ? Do you remember how old Haden was when he got the next contract? Now take the age of Dwayne Bowe when he was singed here as a FA for absurd cake when he was 3 years removed from his best football and subtract Haden's age from it. After you get the answer Rain Man - remind me why you threw a tantrum about Haden instead of Bowe...

And how did we keep Mack here after another team like Jax offered him up the most money of any player in the NFL at his position? We paid him more $ than Jax was willing to in order to keep him. Did this keep him healthy in 2014, which of course was one of the biggest reasons you needed Tampons in aisle 3 to plug up your Haden pms right?

Stay with me here...

Franchise Tag vs Transition Tag. Do you watch football or just get angry on the internet?

Mack was a proven talent when he was tagged. TP is all guesswork. He had 5 really good games and 8 turds. What we all suffer from, myself included, is this need to find a glimmer of hope in this tire fire. Over the last few years it was Joe Haden, Jordan Cameron, Josh Gordon, Duke Johnson, Gary Barnidge and now Pryor. Problem is Haden has been hurt, Gordon is a pot head and the others are mediocre at best.

Well....again....I think that is why the transition tag would be more the way to go with TP. Yes, he is not a completely proven talent.....but he is clearly a talent.

Of course...better yet....get him signed at a value that you think he is worth.

Well....again....I think that is why the transition tag would be more the way to go with TP. Yes, he is not a completely proven talent.....but he is clearly a talent.

Of course...better yet....get him signed at a value that you think he is worth.

Completely agree on the transition tag or the non-exclusive franchise tag.

And how did we keep Mack here after another team like Jax offered him up the most money of any player in the NFL at his position? We paid him more $ than Jax was willing to in order to keep him. Did this keep him healthy in 2014, which of course was one of the biggest reasons you needed Tampons in aisle 3 to plug up your Haden pms right?

Stay with me here...

We actually paid him the same money. With the franchise tag, we allowed Jax to set the market...we just had the right to match it and keep him.

This FO could have Franchised tagged him the next season, but they clearly made the decision to let him walk...in favor of Cam Erving....guh!

Do you watch football or just get angry on the internet?

Which one of us didn't understand why we needed to resign Haden at the time we did so? I'll give you a hint - it's the one that doesn't watch enough football to understand why he was throwing a tantrum.

The other guy (me) that actually watches this team understands when this franchise finally has a young 1st round pick who makes Pro Bowls - it's a really good idea to re-sign him especially if he's a corner on a defense without a pass rush. Remember what Dixon and Minnifield looked like when we had no pass rush on John Elway? Nobody that watched this team play thought they sucked - only someone like you could think that.

Now take a guess who the most popular prospect is for us in the upcoming draft. My dad used to have a dog like you that confused electric outlets with fire hydrans. The poor thing just never learned the difference...

We actually paid him the same money. With the franchise tag, we allowed Jax to set the market...we just had the right to match it and keep him.

This FO could have Franchised tagged him the next season, but they clearly made the decision to let him walk...in favor of Cam Erving....guh!

In other words, Mack received a new contract making him the highest paid Center in the NFL the very same year he went on IR by about week 5 or 6.

Gips, no need to reply or clarify any further. The point was we re-signed 2 first round picks who panned out here to contracts showing them they are very important to us. 1 guy got hurt while the other attempted to play through injury behind a bad run defense and horrible pass rush. People that watch football - understand what Haden does as a tackler and a corner putting team-first.

Here comes the NFL draft with the top rated player, who also happens to be the top pass rusher, on our door step at #1 overall... The last time we had this kind of slam dunk with Khalil Mack on our door step, we traded back and ended up with a Corner that doesn't like to tackle or work hard with any degree of consistency so what could possibly go wrong?

First, Mack was Transition Tagged, not Franchise tagged. We signed Mack when we matched JAX's Transition offer.

Second, there is no difference between the Exclusive and Non-Exclusive Franchise tags, if the player draws no offers. And since no team will spend two 1st-round picks for Pryor, there therefore is no effective difference between the two franchise tag options. So either tag means TP will be paid the average of the Top 5 WR salaries for 2017.

... an ILB that can be effective in pass protection...

A two-way, ILB/OG, is an interesting criteria for this era...

Which one of us didn't understand why we needed to resign Haden at the time we did so? I'll give you a hint - it's the one that doesn't watch enough football to understand why he was throwing a tantrum.

The other guy (me) that actually watches this team understands when this franchise finally has a young 1st round pick who makes Pro Bowls - it's a really good idea to re-sign him especially if he's a corner on a defense without a pass rush. Remember what Dixon and Minnifield looked like when we had no pass rush on John Elway? Nobody that watched this team play thought they sucked - only someone like you could think that.

Now take a guess who the most popular prospect is for us in the upcoming draft. My dad used to have a dog like you that confused electric outlets with fire hydrans. The poor thing just never learned the difference...

And how's that working out? You couldn't get a team to give you a 4th round pick for the guy who's hitting your cap at $14.4, $14.4 & $10.5. Thank god we paid Haden for past work cause that is what the NFL business is all about.

And don't take my word for it https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-5-worst-nfl-cornerback-contracts/

First, Mack was Transition Tagged, not Franchise tagged. We signed Mack when we matched JAX's Transition offer.

Second, there is no difference between the Exclusive and Non-Exclusive Franchise tags, if the player draws no offers. And since no team will spend two 1st-round picks for Pryor, there therefore is no effective difference between the two franchise tag options. So either tag means TP will be paid the average of the Top 5 WR salaries for 2017.

A two-way, ILB/OG, is an interesting criteria for this era...

Poor description should've been fierce in run defense and adequate in pass defense, my bad.

Archived