THE BROWNS BOARD

NJ's Boneless or Country Style Ribs with Sauerkraut

mjp28

A lot of people and states claim to have the best barbecue and fixings, now that would be an interesting tour!

Many down South but how about one from every state. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-bbq-restaurants-in-the-usa

Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list, is where I just ate. I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

South Carolina likes their BBQ sauce with a mustard base.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list, is where I just ate. I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

Geezzzz you're making me hungry for some good BBQ ribs and other fixin's. We generally do that on the grill in warmer weather -but- occasionally get carry out.

I also like those grilling shows on PBS many which show either backyard cooking or the real meals on the butcher paper with the works.

From the every state list......

OHIO

Mabel's BBQ (Address and Info)

CLEVELAND

The deal: There was a mixture of excitement and skepticism when it was announced that celeb chef and Cleveland institution Michael Symon was getting into the barbecue game repping "Cleveland-style" barbecue (is that a thing? We're not sure that's a thing?). But in the end, Symon knows his meat, and for an upscale-ish northern barbecue joint to win Texas barbecue authority and Ohio-native Daniel Vaughn's seal of approval, you know it's doing something right.

The move: So about that Cleveland style. Symon's not trying to create a barbecue tradition out of whole cloth here -- much is borrowed from the great American barbecue styles, with tweaks and wrinkles to provide just a little more of a Cleveland tie-in. Think Bertman's Ballpark Mustard in the brisket smoked over local apple and cherry woods, and pastrami spices on the intimidatingly large beef short ribs. You should sample some of both, and some of the sauerkraut that comes on the side. It works. This Cleveland 'cue thing just might work out.

From the every state list......

OHIO

Mabel's BBQ (Address and Info)

CLEVELAND

The deal: There was a mixture of excitement and skepticism when it was announced that celeb chef and Cleveland institution Michael Symon was getting into the barbecue game repping "Cleveland-style" barbecue (is that a thing? We're not sure that's a thing?). But in the end, Symon knows his meat, and for an upscale-ish northern barbecue joint to win Texas barbecue authority and Ohio-native Daniel Vaughn's seal of approval, you know it's doing something right.

The move: So about that Cleveland style. Symon's not trying to create a barbecue tradition out of whole cloth here -- much is borrowed from the great American barbecue styles, with tweaks and wrinkles to provide just a little more of a Cleveland tie-in. Think Bertman's Ballpark Mustard in the brisket smoked over local apple and cherry woods, and pastrami spices on the intimidatingly large beef short ribs. You should sample some of both, and some of the sauerkraut that comes on the side. It works. This Cleveland 'cue thing just might work out.

It is right there next to Symon's other restarurant's on East 4th St.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mabel's+BBQ/@41.4986435,-81.6908498,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xb9c6d4551ffbb49d!8m2!3d41.498998!4d-81.690348

Oh so how was Joe's? On your personal best list?

BBQ should be fall off the bone tender.

And why generally better or the best ribs cost more, good meat cooked right.

• 2 weeks later...

We had this yesterday.....

BONELESS RIBS WITH SAUERKRAUT

2 lbs. boneless ribs

1 or 2 large onions chopped up and browned in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Black pepper 1/2 tsp, salt to taste

Sage, parsley, thyme dried, sprinkle of each

Sprinkle of paprika

Garlic powder 1/4 tsp

A few pats of butter to sauerkraut

Brown ribs in skillet or dutch oven with about 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, remove to plate

Brown onions in extra virgin olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter and add above dry ingredients

One large can of sauerkraut (more if desired for leftovers ), drain and rinse in water, squeeze dry

Add sauerkraut and herbs, cook until all combined well, add to ribs put oven at 350° for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until done juicy

Add about 1 cup of water while cooking......

Boneless pork with saurkraut, a mix of light and dark pieces for flavor

Mashed potatoes

Sliced carrots in butter with a slight dusting of brown sugar on top

My wife is good at varying the recipe from time to time to keep it interesting.

• 1 month later...

Meals I want as soon as I can get out of the hospital system.....or stuff you can't get here.

1. Rib eye or porterhouse steak hot off the grill, baked potato with butter and sour cream, a green veggie like grilled asparagus or creamed or plain spinach and a Sam Adams Boston Lager :)

2. Ribs with saurkraut like the above recipe or maybe barbecued ribs, mmmm.

3. My wife's roast chicken with potatoes, onions, carrots....oh yeah simple but good!

I better stop now, I'm sure jello or other stuff is coming up in 2 hours. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no. Thank God that I missed you.

Where did you eat at?

Why do you care....since you are happy you missed me? Besides, I mentioned where just above. And since when did you live in Kansas City? I thought you were in New England somewhere?

It was a joke.

I have lived in Shawnee Kansas since 1996. Moved here with a job living in Atlanta, Georgia. I was born in Massachusetts and like Cleveland fans, Im a fan of the home Pro teams for life.

I know that you went to Joes which BTW there are much better places. What was the other place?

OK, didn't know you live there. Joe's was super....and I did some checking...and many sites said that Joe's was the best in town....so that is why I went there. So, I don't know....I guess a lot of your neighbor's opinions vary from yours.

I did not go to any other BBQ place in the KC area. I above referred to a chain that has an outlet here in the Akron area called Old Carolina....and it was, quite frankly, pretty bad. The meat was tough and gristly. So, I don't plan to go back. I have been referred to some other place in Canton that is supposed to be good that Westside Steve ...and other friends referred me to. (don't recall the name off the top of my head). So I may get there.

Now you are making me hungry for ribs. :)

Did you notice Joes food overly salty? They drown their french fries in salt and dont spare any sodium on the BBQ either. I prefer to add my own seasoning if I want it on there and 99% of the time I add nothing because I want to taste the meat.

Arthur Bryants on Brooklyn st in KCMO is a must if you come back, Its the original location. Its best to order the BBQ to go with no sauce. Their original sauce is bitter IMO, but they have 2 other sauces that are good - spicy and a sweet mixture. They wrap the whole meal up in butchers paper so if you cant finish, just wrap it back and leave. Its a lot of food. They give you enough BBQ and bread to make 3 or 4 big sandwiches. Never had their ribs but Im sure theyre great.

Rosedales - had their ribs and theyre great. Blue collar place and the best bang for your buck. Some will tell you its the best in KC.

Slaps - New and their sauces are so good that Heinz is bottling one of them and selling them in grocery stores nation wide. Hole in the wall with good food.

Q39 - More upscale. Spicy BBQ and they just won an award in KC.

Char Bar - Nice atmosphere, good food. Gourmet BBQ. Burnt Heaven sandwich is must try, but its all good.

OK, thanks....but I don't know when I will ever be back...though at some point I may stay in Missouri in the Lake Ozark area, or be down near Joplin, but not up by KC.

You're still making me hungry.

Well MJ, I bought a smoker. Lowes had Oklahoma Joes smokers on sale for $199.00. Regular $399.00 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Highland-879-sq-in-Black-Charcoal-Horizontal-Smoker/50329703 $399 was a steal because they are made so well. Thick steel and very heavy duty. The grates are coated with non stick so they do not rust. I made a pork roast 4 of July but I rushed the cooking with a fire too hot and I used mostly oak in the fire box. The roast did not turn out as I had hoped.

Next time Im planning to do a brisket with mostly charcoal because it burns much cleaner. What do you think?

I find cooking medium depends on things like your setup, time, preferences, etc. We went from charcoal to LP to nat gas largely because of convenience and we use our grill like an indoor stove plus I can't do charcoal like I used to.

And good choice on Weber, well made will last.

I also recommended getting a Weber cookbook or two new or used, great ideas even if you're a seasoned griller.

I will and grilling stuff is being marked down for winter merchandise.

I go with Amazon Prime, see earlier post....or gifts.

....add, one of the early ones...Oh I looked up my two original WEBER'S cookbooks, one big hardback and the same in a big heavy paperback c. 2005, WEBER'S REAL GRILLING by Jamie Purviance , 304 pages.

Good reading and cooking. :)

There is art and science to doing it right. Do you ever watch Steve Rachlen? BBQ university.

Oh yes I watch them all on PBS, good source of information and ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 10:47 AM, mjp28 said:

Meals I want as soon as I can get out of the hospital system.....or stuff you can't get here.

1. Rib eye or porterhouse steak hot off the grill, baked potato with butter and sour cream, a green veggie like grilled asparagus or creamed or plain spinach and a Sam Adams Boston Lager :)

2. Ribs with saurkraut like the above recipe or maybe barbecued ribs, mmmm.

3. My wife's roast chicken with potatoes, onions, carrots....oh yeah simple but good!

I better stop now, I'm sure jello or other stuff is coming up in 2 hours. :lol:

Heard today Monday that I might be done with rehab by Friday or early next week and I'll be out of here.

I'm dying after 5 weeks in the hospital and here for a good, hot steak off the grill....like you wouldn't believe! :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2017 at 2:32 PM, mjp28 said:

Heard today Monday that I might be done with rehab by Friday or early next week and I'll be out of here.

I'm dying after 5 weeks in the hospital and here for a good, hot steak off the grill....like you wouldn't believe! :)

I guess that will have to wait again, my stay extended to 9/2/17. I think about grilling a lot in this joint and all of the bland food. Had to refiL my pepper shaker the other day.  Bummer.

• 1 month later...

Well we're debating on ribs in the Dutch oven -or- ribs on the grill this weekend......weather is supposed to be beautiful so probably outside! :D

Not many really exotic recipes for barbecued ribs just the sauce and cook them right. 

42 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

This is the best barbecue in the country, and of course, it's in Parma.  

https://www.facebook.com/BarabicuSmokehouse/

My godparents and three cousins grew up in Parma, spent a lot of time there in the late 1950s and 1960s, they had a HUGE very deep lot woods and hills that led to a big pool and picnic grounds. Used to like to go and stay there.

14 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Old Carolina is not very good. Do you want some good barbecue? Go to Mission BBQ in Canton its top-notch, so is Jimmy's Backyard BBQ in Carrollton and Sammy Sue's in Dover.

WSS

I will have to get down there some day....if I can remember the name.

• 1 year later...

Another bump up, we may have this for New Years.........ummmmmmm.  :P

(see post #1)

On 10/20/2017 at 9:39 AM, mjp28 said:

My godparents and three cousins grew up in Parma, spent a lot of time there in the late 1950s and 1960s, they had a HUGE very deep lot woods and hills that led to a big pool and picnic grounds. Used to like to go and stay there.

You are blessed.😁

On 12/15/2018 at 12:06 PM, The Gipper said:

I will have whatever my sister feeds me, since we are going over to her place.

New Years Eve we always go with our best friends to "Gumbo's" on the square in Georgetown. You take pot luck on a 4 course meal, but it's always the very best anywhere with every course a gourmet dish. We like to be surprised.🤗🤩

On 12/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, The Gipper said:

I will have whatever my sister feeds me, since we are going over to her place.

We're going with a Barefoot Contessa beef dish for Christmas, a friend coming over -and- always a kraut dish for New Year's Day.......with plenty of kraut left over for one of my favorites hot dogs, kraut, yellow mustard and Tabasco, with potato chips an old steel mill bar favorite from way, way back.

........oh and kraut with football too, a GAMEDAY meal.

Archived