THE BROWNS BOARD

What's your favorite vacation or getaway place?

mjp28

What's your favorite vacation, local hangout, pub, even man cave getaway place particularly in the chilly Ohio and/or other place you call home?

Doesn't need to be fancy just your favorite....The Browns Board would qualify for you really cheap bastards. :lol:

Whoa cool, reminds me of a few great but long gone places from the mill days in Y-town, OH.

The Victory Tavern on Steel Street, I just saw where the owner during the great times just passed away, Ed Fajack. On 3-11 closed up that place many, many times, used to give Ed a ride to his house on my bike.

Satan's Inferno on the far west side of downtown, I wasn't a regular there at all but it was wild, great bikes.

And the old Niles, OH landmark Jimmie's Inn, all long gone but not forgotten. ;)

I like weekend getaways to put-in-bay during the summer time.

As far as watering holes go, I like merry arts in lakewood plus you can bring the dog there on the patio - great wings too. Two bucks is a decent place if you wanna get smashed with a 20 dollar bill and they have multiple locations now.

I'm also quite fond of the brew garden in middleburg, for no other reason than the fact that they have an awesome patio.

Hofbrauhaus can also get an honorable mention, particularly when their outdoor beer garden is open (also dog friendly) - though it's not particularly cheap.

I don't really have any one particularly bar/pub I go to though - but I don't find myself at the bar very often nowadays anyway.

Taking my dog to the bar is nice, but he's gorgeous so when he's with me then everybody talks to me - which is good and bad sometimes.

As an avid traveler, and as a participant on a travel message board, not dissimilar to the one here (but no profanity allowed), I always tell people that my favorite trip is the next one I am taking. And that is very true. So, aside from spending a few days with my son in NY state over spring break, my favorite trip is the next one that I am taking and going on a tour of southern New England. Conn/RI/Boston area. That will be in early June.

As for favorite restaurants/bars/hangouts, we have some regular places that my wife and I like to go to. I doubt anyone would really know these names as they are very local to my area: Hodge's Cafe in Barberton. The Wolf Creek Tavern, and the Wolf Creek Winery. The SilverRun Winery. The Houston Pub. Alexandri's Restaurant for Breakfast. With my blood sugar issues I can no longer partake of my favorite Pizza parlors, like Angie's, Trecaso's, Luigis. We were regulars at our local Bob Evans...but for some reason that place has taken a serious dive in service, quality etc. New ownership I believe. There are a couple or three Mexican restaurants locally that we go to as well. And Ming Garden, Chinese food.

On the rare occasions that I get up to the Cleveland area these days, I would go to old favorites from long ago: the Harbor Inn on the west bank of the flats. Then there is the Academy Tavern up on Woodland, near Shaker Square. Corky and Lenny's on the east side. But, it has been a while.

Ocean fly fish?

I try to trout fly fish.

TRIED to fly fish once in the ocean & caught a small pompano. We're talking a literal fingerling! LOL

In freshwater, I do fine with trout, steelhead, & bass, but prefer big bluegill on 2 & 3 weight fly rods.

Mike

TRIED to fly fish once in the ocean & caught a small pompano. We're talking a literal fingerling! LOL

In freshwater, I do fine with trout, steelhead, & bass, but prefer big bluegill on 2 & 3 weight fly rods.

Mike

Sounds somewhat familiar, where I grew up we had a creek that flowed through our property that fed into a lake about 1,200 feet away, the lake was about 4 1/2 miles around and another about 10 miles around. Both stocked with bass, trout, blue gills and others plus one of my favorites nice crappies.

My dad fixed TVs on the side and fixed the lake watchman's TV and other stuff so I fished my whole young life for FREE. We kids had our secret paths cut into the back bays where the fishing was best. Often I brought home a stringer full of fish....fileted them right up and froze or had a fish fry right then.

Great memories, miss that old homestead plus I could shoot my guns there too.

I always have something wrong fly fishing for trout.

The fish has to be famished for me to catch it on a fly rod. Ultra light spinning reel is different.

Where do you trout fish & what flies do you use?

Mike

In Missouri and a couple of times in Arkansas - White river and Norfolk river.

I use nymphs, woolly boogers, sometimes dry flies if there is a hatch. Im reading a book that swears by scuds as the main part of Ozark trouts diet.

Do you remember Brewer and Shipley? One toke over the line? I met Jim Shipley on the river in Missouri. He lives down there and fly fishes all the time. Funny and unpretentious. He lost his wading staff that day in the river and was all upset about it. Probably a millionaire 10 times over and worried about losing a $50 wading staff.

I have thought about taking my son to Missouri on a more or less fishing trip. To Lake Ozark area. (he is the fisherman, not I).

Do you think that would be a good place to go?

Montauk state park has good fly fishing. Inside the park can get crowded, but its not uncommon to catch 3 lb + trout in the trophy area. Out side the park down the Current river is great too, but more challenging and you will see less people.https://mostateparks.com/park/current-river-state-park Its easier getting there from St Louis than KC, but KC has the BBQ. They have a motel and cabins for rent, store and restaurant. https://mostateparks.com/park/montauk-state-park

Taneycomo has good trout fishing and is in Branson, MO https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/fishing/regulations/special-areas/lake-taneycomo

Missouri crappy fishing in the spring is fantastic. Truman lake is just south of KC and they rent boats. If you hit it when the crappy are bedding, you will catch more fish than you know what to do with. Forage in the nearby woods for morel mushrooms and youll have a meal fit for a King. I was probably 30 feet below a bald eagles nest on that lake. https://mostateparks.com/park/harry-s-truman-state-park

Lake of the Ozarks probably has good fishing, but will be like the ocean in the warm weather months since they receive so much boat traffic.

If I were to go I would probably staying at a time share on Lake of the Ozarks. I would take in while there the Ozark National Scenic Riverway...which I believe encompasses the Current and Jack Fork Rivers. Montauk State Park would likely be part of my travel plan for there. And around Round Spring, Two Rivers, and Blue Spring. Ever been to those spots?

I really would not want to get into the whole Branson mess. I have been through there once. Once is basically enough.

I see on the map that Truman Reservoir is fairly near LOMO (Lake Ozark Missouri)

One good time to perhaps go would be during spring break, as my son would be off school. You say that would be a good time to go?

See this:

https://www.nps.gov/ozar/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Every time I ever when on a canoe river/creek I caught trout on just a simple crappie jig with a mini open cast.

My best ever crappie lure was a simple red and white daredevil.

My best ever crappie lure was a simple red and white daredevil.

I fish for crappie at Otter Lake outside of Girard il. I use a simple lead jig then choose which color they're biting on. The lake is overran with crappie you can catch them all day. Good eating.

I fish for crappie at Otter Lake outside of Girard il. I use a simple lead jig then cwhoose which color they're biting on. The lake is overran with crappie you can catch them all day. Good eating.

Where I grew up way back when was by Liberty and Girard, OH lakes, Small world sorta', and yes loads of crappies.

Or, wind up on the wrong side of the green grass

Around here its not too dangerous since they are so widespread.

Or, you could end up going on a groovy trip, man. Like far out. Then everything would be right on. Things would be a gas.

Just don't bogart those mushrooms man. You wouldn't want to bum everybody out. You gotta be cool and not be a flake. Otherwise you would freak us all out. Since we all prefer to hang loose, man. And keep hep dude, we don't want things to get too heavy. Just stay mellow, yellow. If you do that things will stay outta sight man. It is a time to stay righteous so we can all have it made in the shade.

Power to the people.

I used to have those.

I use panther martins now for trout when using a spinning rod. Gold and black is my go to lure.

Come to think about it those red/white daredevils came in several sizes I used a mid size I believe. All my old gear is in mom's basement.....somewhere. As kids we got loads of gear from snags at the lake.

When I go trout fishing I salvage all kinds of flies and lures that people gave up on.

Oh yeah and as kids that stuff was gold! Bobblers, sinkers, lures even poles. Got a great 3 pc bamboo set....remember those?

Ive seen those 3 pc rods.

You could basically fish for free salvaging tackle. I reeled in a pole one day too.

My childhood, kept the bamboo pole hidden at the lake with hooks, etc. We could find...and sell...worms under rocks everywhere.

When I was 15-17 used to shoot my .22 rifle at the same lake after the closing siren....sounds like Mayberry, it was.

We couldnt have guns in Massachusetts but grew up outside down by the river, pond, brook or lake.

I guess after the Minuteman guns were banned there. :lol:

In terms of somewhere I like to return to over and over again it would have to be Myrtle Beach. I love Myrtle Beach. It's a perfect vacation destination, especially with young kids. It's not ridiculously expensive, there's a lot to do and it's familiar and comfortable.

Given you avatar I would have thought you'd say Waco. That's pretty creepy dude.

Archived