THE BROWNS BOARD

Gilbert in the first round?

Opal312

I've been a Browns fan since birth and after 50 years

Yea well Mike Evans is stuck on a bad team with no quarterback. We could have had him or Watkins and a quarterback at #26 then later a corner. You homies don't get it. That's why the Browns will never win anything. Keep buying tickets and maybe your great great great grandkids will have better luck

for someone who is at least 60 you can't lie for shit.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there were better cornerbacks in the 2014 draft than Justin Gilbert. Look what Kyle Fuller is doing in Chicago! I think the Browns rushed their decision when they should have been planning for the present as well as the future. A stud receiver for Brian Hoyer and a Quarterback at #26.

Year after year the Browns waste their first round pick and I have grown up, became a mother and now a GRANDMOTHERS without a Super Bowl appearance. Can you say; Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Barkevious Mingo, and Brandon Weeden!

Unless you have some sort of psychic ability and can predict how draft picks will turn out STFU. It's the luck of the draw, and our luck is just turning. Support the Bucs since you live in Tampa now, and read some conspiracy theory bullshit on 9/11.

Yea well Mike Evans is stuck on a bad team with no quarterback. We could have had him or Watkins and a quarterback at #26 then later a corner. You homies don't get it. That's why the Browns will never win anything. Keep buying tickets and maybe your great great great grandkids will have better luck

Hahah. Grandmother and you still think like a teenager?

Just a small piece of information, even if we do "get it" we have zero impact on who the browns draft and play. So either be a fan or find a new team.

Before the draft a lot of people thought we were a bad team with no QB. Now they just think we are a bad team.

"Homies"... word choice of men pushing 60 throughout the U.S. of A...

A bust after 3 games. He's not even starting. The shit i read on this board is amazing.

Gilbert has been on the field more than the other rookie cbs also. Experience is all a CB in the NFL needs.

Dre Kirkpatrick for Cincy sucked BIG TIME his first year, hes actually been getting better with reps and time with the speed of the game.

Gilbert has been on the field more than the other rookie cbs also. Experience is all a CB in the NFL needs.

Dre Kirkpatrick for Cincy sucked BIG TIME his first year, hes actually been getting better with reps and time with the speed of the game.

This is actually a good point I'd like to highlight. Kirkpatrick was a dumpster fire early on. His second year was so- so at best and now he's a solid nickel presence approaching a fringe #2 CB status. I'd expect something similar with Gilbert.

I've been a Browns fan since birth and after 50 years I will now stop saying, "there's always next year".

Can anyone please explain why the Browns didn't draft Mike Evans at #4 and a Q.B. At #26?

They weren't planning on playing the rookie quarterback so why not draft Garapollo at 26 leaving plenty of time to get the worst cornerback in the draft.

Gilbert is a bust and we now have Andrew Hawkins as our first string wide receiver. Ray Farmer and Petine will be job hunting next year. Let me do the draft! At least I know how!

Please stop calling guys busts after three damn games. Evans over Watkins? Really?

to call him a bust after 3 games is ...ummm...not smart...I bet the Patriots are still really pissed off that they didnt trade or cut Tom Brady after his 8th week 3-4. or how about Troy Aikman 1-15 his first year. I bet Dallas still f'n heated they didn't cut him straight out...so yea lets judge our guys after a game or two or maybe three

Oh Walter's all mad you compared Gilbert to HOF qbs. But it is a fact- too early to call anyone a bust at this point.

I agree, it is pretty sorry that after 3 games some are calling players busts....it's crazy.

^+1

i agree with the OP.. Justin Gilbert is 6th round material, maybe 7th.

Know of any other 6th round CBs that run a sub 4.4 Soju? Didn't think so. You can coach technique- you can't coach up athletic ability- and Gilbert has that in spades.

there were better cornerbacks in the 2014 draft than Justin Gilbert. Look what Kyle Fuller is doing in Chicago! I think the Browns rushed their decision when they should have been planning for the present as well as the future. A stud receiver for Brian Hoyer and a Quarterback at #26.

Year after year the Browns waste their first round pick and I have grown up, became a mother and now a GRANDMOTHERS without a Super Bowl appearance. Can you say; Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Barkevious Mingo, and Brandon Weeden!

Boo-hoo. I'm old enough to remember 1964. Even should Gilbert bust- you want to tell me how Bitonio and West suck too? This may well turn out to be one of the best Browns drafts in like forever- especially if Manziel turns into a franchise qb- after sitting a year or two behind Hoyer. Talk about unrealistic expectations that every first round pick should walk right into the starting lineup and tear the league apart from the get-go.

BTW, the Browns happen to get one of the top 5 wrs in the game back for week 11. And we WILL draft an insurance policy come 2015.

BTW, the Browns happen to get one of the top 5 wrs in the game back for week 11. And we WILL draft an insurance policy come 2015.

Don't be so sure of that. This passing game has been more than adequate without Gordon. The current insurance policies are already playing.

I would not be surprised if the front office targeted another athletic, pass catching TE though.

What makes me want to vomit is how we continually trade down and those trade downs are meaningless when you get nothing in return.

Atlanta absolutely HOSED us because all we got was FATASS Phil Taylor and a ginger hack QB and they have Julio Jones.

Now, Buffalo will reap the benefits of Sammy Watkins when him or Mack could have been ours.

Instead, we outsmart ourselves and trade down to get Justin GilBURNT and whatever bonafide bust we get next year.

2011 - Phil Taylor over JJ Watt and Julio Jones :wacko:

2012 - Trent Richardson and Brandon fucking Weeden :o

2013 - Mingo :(

2014 - Gilburnt over Watkins, Mack, Mathews, etc. and Manziel who is unknown at this point.

That's 6 1st round picks in 4 years and not a single one of them are good. That's pitiful.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

you mean sammy 'the burner' watkins who had 30 yds receiving? evans who had 65 and got hurt? in your minds they should both be cut tomorrow.

yeah farmer really blows and you 2 are geniuses.

It's impossible to judge the Gilbert pick/trade after 3 games. In fact, it'll take another year or 2. WHY, you ask??? Because there is another 1st round pick out there that came as part of the package AND it's only 3 games in. Id still trade Watkins for Gilbert and 1 st today, which is what we did.

About the weakest argument on the planet is when people go back and pick the best players from past drafts then act as if they would have picked those guys. It's a tired tactic that doesn't work. Heck, any 5 year old can do that. Proves nothing. In fact, I could go back and make any GM a genius or an idiot, depending on the point Im trying to make.

Im down with Farmer too. Only time will tell and 3 games isn't near enough time to rate anyone or anything.

1999 1 Tim Couch * QB Kentucky 2000 1 Courtney Brown * DE Penn State 2001 3 Gerard Warren DT Florida 2002 16 William Green RB Boston College [23]2003 21 Jeff Faine C Notre Dame 2004 6 Kellen Winslow II TE Miami (Florida) [24]2005 3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan 2006 13 Kamerion Wimbley LB Florida State [25]2007 3 Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin [26] 22 Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame [27]2008No Pick — — [27]2009 21 Alex Mack C California [28]2010 7 Joe Haden CB Florida 2011 21 Phil Taylor DT Baylor 2012 3 Trent Richardson RB Alabama 22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State 2013 6 Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU 2014 8 Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State 22 Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M

Take your pick of busts from this list

1999 1 Tim Couch * QB Kentucky 2000 1 Courtney Brown * DE Penn State 2001 3 Gerard Warren DT Florida 2002 16 William Green RB Boston College [23]2003 21 Jeff Faine C Notre Dame 2004 6 Kellen Winslow II TE Miami (Florida) [24]2005 3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan 2006 13 Kamerion Wimbley LB Florida State [25]2007 3 Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin [26] 22 Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame [27]2008No Pick — — [27]2009 21 Alex Mack C California [28]2010 7 Joe Haden CB Florida 2011 21 Phil Taylor DT Baylor 2012 3 Trent Richardson RB Alabama 22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State 2013 6 Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU 2014 8 Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State 22 Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M

Take your pick of busts from this list

Clark, Savage, Kokinis, Heckert and Lombardi. These guys are responsible for your cute little list up there. In case you aren't aware, they are all fired. Gone. No longer here. So you aren't sharing anything new OR making a valid point.

The only valid discussion "today" is should we fire Farmer 6 months in? And only an idiot would do that based upon his work to date. And only an idiot would blame him for past drafts or use old administrations to argue this one isn't good.

I guess the Steelers lost, so now we get some new identities and start hearing about 10 year old drafts???? Didn't even take you 5 minutes to get started. You are quite the tool.

Clark, Savage, Kokinis, Heckert and Lombardi. These guys are responsible for your cute little list up there. In case you aren't aware, they are all fired. Gone. No longer here. So you aren't sharing anything new OR making a valid point.

The only valid discussion "today" is should we fire Farmer 6 months in? And only an idiot would do that based upon his work to date. And only an idiot would blame him for past drafts or use old administrations to argue this one isn't good.

I guess the Steelers lost, so now we get some new identities and start hearing about 10 year old drafts???? Didn't even take you 5 minutes to get started. You are quite the tool.

Not my list, this is the list of Browns 1st round selections since 1999.

Gilbert has looked terrible and Manziel is non-existent. At this point they are busts. Will that change in 6 months, maybe, I don't think so. To take a corner in the top 10 he better be Patrick Peterson or at least a solid corner with some kick returning ability. A first round QB better be the face of the franchise at some point.

You can keep the blind faith alive and think that makes you a real fan but at this point the facts don't support that.

Gilbert has looked terrible and Manziel is non-existent. At this point they are busts. Will that change in 6 months, maybe, I don't think so. To take a corner in the top 10 he better be Patrick Peterson or at least a solid corner with some kick returning ability. A first round QB better be the face of the franchise at some point.

You can keep the blind faith alive and think that makes you a real fan but at this point the facts don't support that.

Manziel was haslams pick. A bad football pick but a great PR move. It got the browns a ton of media attention and ticket sales. Gilbert still had time to prove he was worth it. Plus we have another pick. Can't call a guy a bust after 3 games. Lord these people have no patience.

I get that it's a Browns list. It's you who doesnt get that the list is NOT relevant to this team or current staff. (u thick or something?)

Gilbert has looked terrible and Manziel is non-existent.

Gilbert looks like a rookie and Manziel hasn't played.

At this point they are busts. Will that change in 6 months, maybe, I don't think so.

If it can change in 6 months, then they're not busts. Doh, what an idiot. If they were busts, that would mean they could never be good. Right? So, you in all your brilliance, have just proven you are wrong. That it is too early to judge and there is a chance they'll prove out to be good players and that you're just spewing shit cause that what you do.

To take a corner in the top 10 he better be Patrick Peterson or at least a solid corner with some kick returning ability

He may be. Too early to know.

A first round QB better be the face of the franchise at some point.

Whatever. The facts dont support what??? What facts? This makes zero sense(like most of your posts). And the idea that you would attempt to school me on what being a fan is, is completely laughable. I guess hating my team and ragging on the players is being a "real fan"/

Manziel was haslams pick. A bad football pick but a great PR move. It got the browns a ton of media attention and ticket sales. Gilbert still had time to prove he was worth it. Plus we have another pick. Can't call a guy a bust after 3 games. Lord these people have no patience.

In the NFL it's not a patience game with 1st rounders. Every GM in the league will tell you the same thing, 1st round is either talent or need, the guy better be on the field contributing. Week 5 I'm starting Hoyer over Manziel and Skrine over Gilbert, maybe they turnout to be guys who have a role on this team but anything short of starting DB and QB is a bust for a1st rounder.

I get that it's a Browns list. It's you who doesnt get that the list is NOT relevant to this team or current staff. (u thick or something?)

Gilbert has looked terrible and Manziel is non-existent.

Gilbert looks like a rookie and Manziel hasn't played.

At this point they are busts. Will that change in 6 months, maybe, I don't think so.

If it can change in 6 months, then they're not busts. Doh, what an idiot. If they were busts, that would mean they could never be good. Right? So, you in all your brilliance, have just proven you are wrong. That it is too early to judge and there is a chance they'll prove out to be good players and that you're just spewing shit cause that what you do.

To take a corner in the top 10 he better be Patrick Peterson or at least a solid corner with some kick returning ability

A first round QB better be the face of the franchise at some point.

Whatever. The facts dont support what??? What facts? This makes zero sense(like most of your posts). And the idea that you would attempt to school me on what being a fan is, is completely laughable. I guess hating my team and ragging on the players is being a "real fan"/

The list contains the 2014 picks and to this point they follow the pattern.

The facts are Manziel actually had a chance to be the starter based on Hoyer's pre-season performance and was unsuccessful. Manziel is a pure gimmick at this point. Gilbert has played terrible, not bad, but coaches acknowledging how bad you're playing terrible.

3 games and dick heads like Bacon want to scrap the whole team. Fucking idiot.

Never said scrap the whole team but would like to see a better plan for building a team. One of the main issues facing the Browns as a franchise is 3 first round draft picks in the last 7 years are really contributing to the team. At the end of this season, I fear, it will be Hoyer a career back-up with a losing record under his belt and Manziel who will still be an unproven commodity. So is Hoyer your guy or do you start Johnny Football? A zoo again. If Gilbert continues down this path it's a top 10 pick who isn't playing. So the two picks of the Farmer era are going to be a waste.

Hope I'm wrong. I want nothing more to Manziel become the next, Eli Manning? Maybe Gilbert becomes a really solid DB and Farmer looks like a genius. Sorry to say as a Browns fan since the mid 80s I can say that lately my faith in the front office is non-existent.

Farmer didn't draft mingo. Lombardi did and he got fired. So there is your answer.

So, as a gauge, how does Farmer get graded on past drafts? Not being sarcastic.

I would say Mingo hasn't lived up to his draft slot even though 5 sacks in his rookie season is solid.

Farmer does not get graded on past drafts but using Mingo has as a baseline both Gilbert and Manziel fall short. They may improve and this conversation will go a different way but as of right now both fall short of their draft status.

bunch of negative nancies.

i'm sure there's a list you could make of every 32 teams for the past 20 years that have players that have under-performed or been busts.

how do you put a number on a CB that has played 3 games and as many have pointed out not looked good? you call him a bust?

sammy watkins with 65 yds per game and only 2 touchdowns so far must be a bust too, correct?

bitchy translation:

"oh, if only we had done "x", we'd be in the super bowl now boo hoo"

This negative stuff seems to only be to get attention. Undue attention.

blech.

bunch of negative nancies.

i'm sure there's a list you could make of every 32 teams for the past 20 years that have players that have under-performed or been busts.

how do you put a number on a CB that has played 3 games and as many have pointed out not looked good? you call him a bust?

sammy watkins with 65 yds per game and only 2 touchdowns so far must be a bust too, correct?

I'd say if he stays on pace for 800 yards and 8 TDs that's solid which would probably put him top 20 which would mean he'd be a number 1 WR. Gordon had 9 TDs last year.

DBs are hard to quantify with stats, for me it's an eye test.

and with three games played everyone's eyes are at infant stage. GMs, coaches and fans.

i guess you're eyes are better than all those pre-draft analysts who had gilbert as either the #1 or 2 CB in the league. that being said that doesn't mean he won't bust but give the guy a chance before you throw the towel in on him.

Archived