THE BROWNS BOARD

We are 4-3

Adoug319

Just gonna play devil's advocate here

Yeah we are 4-3, which is better than many of us predicted at the start of the year...

But is it just me or does it feel like a non good feeling 4-3.. I can't really explain it

Then again, we are fucking above .500 almost halfway through the season..

Maybe as Browns fans we are so used to being bad that we dont know how to appreciate when we are doing at least average or better

Maybe vertigo?

I think the loss of the run game put a damper on things. With it as a basis we felt solid on O... not so much on D.

With Mack's loss and the possible gelling of the D (there was that whole 6 week thing in a recent article), now the security has flipped to the D... Change is unsettling.

Then again we did run some late today... so maybe...

Don't post much, but I had to chime in here. Good Lord Browns fans never cease to amaze me.

Lets see, at the start of the season everyone, EVERYONE was sure we'd toss Hoyer to the wolves, lose the first three badly and start Manziel after the bye week. Instead, we win our home opener for the first time in a decade, stage the largest comeback in NFL history to beat the Titans, thump Pittsburgh, and are sitting at above .500. Just ENJOY it, and stop looking for shit to bitch about. We've already won as many games as we've won for an entire season since 2007.

I've come to the conclusion that Browns fans are the ones that need to let go of the losing culture as inch as the team does.

We're on track to somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7. If the o-line comes back and the defense continues to show better play, and with Gordon back, I would say 10-6 is possible. In any case,this is way better than we've been in the past. The most important thing is it will secure Farmer, Pettine & Co. will be back next year. We'll go into the off-season knowing exactly the strengths of this team and the weaknesses that need to be addressed instead of having a new coach, a new scheme, and have to play all this out all over again.

So just enjoy the win and keep the big picture in mind, we're a franchise on the ascent.

I'm not complaining either, just worried about the O line.

If we can win out at home, it would be so big for the Browns. Establishing a home field edge would be a nice step in the right direction. The stadium finally got loud after the Whitner hit & Haden fumble return,

It's odd to see us over .500, but remaining in the cellar. Just beat T Bay, and somehow steal one in Cincy. The AFC North is going to be tight all season.

Because the Browns have played the easiest schedule in the NFL to date.

After next week, 50% of opponents will been ranked in the bottom 5 of essentially all power rankings.

4/7 Have been at home.

Here's the rest:

9. Ravens

15. Steelers

15. Steelers

22. Saints

Losing the Jacksonville game was a big deal.

5-2 would have been par, 6-1 birdie.

4-3 isn't bad but it is a bogie.

Without that big steelers win, there would be epic concern, but they did win against the steelers; I think you're feeling right, OP.

Because the Browns have played the easiest schedule in the NFL to date.

After next week, 50% of opponents will been ranked in the bottom 5 of essentially all power rankings.

4/7 Have been at home.

Here's the rest:

9. Ravens

15. Steelers

15. Steelers

22. Saints

Losing the Jacksonville game was a big deal.

5-2 would have been par, 6-1 birdie.

4-3 isn't bad but it is a bogie.

Without that big steelers win, there would be epic concern, but they did win against the steelers; I think you're feeling right, OP.

There is a lot more to wining/losing than strength of schedule. The Browns have shown a tendency to play up or down to their opponent's level. They nearly beat the Ravens, they beat the Saints, they split with the Steelers who just crushed the Colts. They nearly lost to the Titans and lost to the Jaguars.

Browns fans have no patience left. The tank is empty. Been empty for a while now. But everyone needs to keep reminding themselves this is a new FO, coaching staff, and many new players. At 4-3 halfway through the season, odds are things should've been a lot worse than this. Always demand the best of your team, but also keep a reality check.

4-3, with these teams up for the second half of the year:

Buccaneers

@ Bengals

Texans

@Falcons

@Bills

Colts

Bengals

@Panthers

@Ravens

Many win-able games here. Mediocre 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 finish at worst. Playoff bound at best, and not unlikely at this stage.

The NFL is all about winning football games. I agree that the team has looked shaky the past couple weeks, but at the end of the day it's all about putting a +1 in the W column. This the first time I've truly felt the Browns are heading in the right direction in a long, long time. I've said for years that losing breeds losing, and that's the main reason the Browns have been so lousy. The Jaguars loss hurts, for sure. But the simple truth of the matter is we're above .500 with a schedule that doesn't make me cringe for the 2nd half of the season.

Jury is still out. It all depends upon whether the team still buys into the message "Play Like Browns" regardless of the scoreboard. If they do then the future looks brighter in the next few years. Does that translate to 8-8 this year? If the team buys the message, then yes, at least 8-8. And that's a good place to build from.

a non good feeling 4-3..

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what this means... I'll stop trying...

All I know is:

1 - We have a winning record, and our defense is getting better every week...

2 - We have beat 2 good teams and lost to 2 good teams, the other 3 games we're 2-1 (and 2 of those were on the road)

3 - We have 5 more road games, all of which will be rough... but winnable...

4 - We have a team/coach combination that plays hard, never gives up, and only seems to play better later in games and under duress...

5 - We have a team/coach combination the puts themselves into duress later in games by playing poorly in the first half of games (It's like they need the extra pressure of being behind to play well)

6 - With a decent running game, this team can beat anybody. With no running game, we're a .500 team at best. We lost our Center (who apparently was Superman), but otherwise the line is intact and needs to bring McDonald up-to-speed immediately and get those RBs some room to get it done... (Tour, I need those o-line grades... STAT)

Overall, I feel pretty good about all that...

• 9 NOV 2 1:00PMEST ) buccaneers.png BUCCANEERS

• 10 NOV 6 8:25PMEST , AT bengals.png BENGALS

11 NOV 16 1:00PMEST * texans.png TEXANS

12 NOV 23 1:00PMEST * AT falcons.png FALCONS

13 NOV 30 1:00PMEST * AT bills.png BILLS

14 DEC 7 1:00PMEST * colts.png COLTS

15 DEC 14 1:00PMEST * bengals.png BENGALS

16 DEC 21 1:00PMEST * AT panthers.png PANTHERS

17 DEC 28 1:00PMEST * AT ravens.png RAVENS

Sure, there are no easy games in here for the Browns.....but the Browns are not an easy game for any of these teams either. They will win their share of these games.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what this means... I'll stop trying...

All I know is:

1 - We have a winning record, and our defense is getting better every week...

2 - We have beat 2 good teams and lost to 2 good teams, the other 3 games we're 2-1 (and 2 of those were on the road)

3 - We have 5 more road games, all of which will be rough... but winnable...

4 - We have a team/coach combination that plays hard, never gives up, and only seems to play better later in games and under duress...

5 - We have a team/coach combination the puts themselves into duress later in games by playing poorly in the first half of games (It's like they need the extra pressure of being behind to play well)

6 - With a decent running game, this team can beat anybody. With no running game, we're a .500 team at best. We lost our Center (who apparently was Superman), but otherwise the line is intact and needs to bring McDonald up-to-speed immediately and get those RBs some room to get it done... (Tour, I need those o-line grades... STAT)

Overall, I feel pretty good about all that...

Exactly..

As someone else said here...ask a Raiders fan if they'd take a "bad feeling" 4-3 over 0-7. We have a winning record and still people aren't happy about it. What the fuck is wrong with you people? Can we lay off the sky is falling negativity for a week? I think we take care of business against Tampa next weekend and go into the biggest game in YEARS and it happens to be a Thursday night game at Cincy in front of the whole world. Personally, I can't wait to see that game and see us take care of the Bengals.

Yeah we are 4-3, which is better than many of us predicted at the start of the year...yep. We are doing better than predicted.

But is it just me or does it feel like a non good feeling 4-3.. it's just you(and a few others). MOST of us are trying to enjoy it, but keep getting brought down by those who can't seem to shake the negative lifestyle of losing.

Then again, we are fucking above .500 almost halfway through the season..Yes we are. Haven't had a team like this for 20 years, yet so many can't seem to just enjoy it. And, making things worse, they DO feel the need to constantly point out negatives.

Maybe as Browns fans we are so used to being bad that we dont know how to appreciate when we are doing at least average or better Again, "we" are enjoying it and do appreciate it. Sadly, so many Browns fans are shell shocked from years of losing. They no longer know what to do except wait for the other shoe to drop. Most will MISS all the fun, because they are so worried about what MIGHT happen, that they won't enjoy what DID happen.

So we cannot even acknowledge uncertainty?

We had a winning formula: pound the rock... PAP... no errors... play decent D.

A big chunk, a foundational building block, pound the rock has gone AWOL.

But the D coincidentally has shown signs of gelling.

Maybe we are on the verge of a new formula... maybe not.

Change is uncertain... but also interesting as hell.

It's positive that were 4-3, but lets be realistic the way we've been playing, how you think we're going to be able to compete against the inter divisional competition, plus were in a very competitive division. Im happy for the Browns wins, but with the way we beens playing against struggling teams, the wins won't last long.

It's positive that were 4-3, but lets be realistic the way we've been playing, how you think we're going to be able to compete against the inter divisional competition, plus were in a very competitive division. Im happy for the Browns wins, but with the way we beens playing against struggling teams, the wins won't last long.

Gwopdog, you would be kicked out of the Tavern right now with that type statement. The Browns Board is no place for reality.

So far we've played our divisional rivals tough.

REALITY is we played the Steelers and Ravens very close and lost each game literally in the last second. Meaning we are "able to compete" against division rivals.

Next, we crushed the Steelers the second time we met them. Meaning we can beat division rivals.

And, HISTORICALLY, we play Cinn tough. We have split 3 of the last 4 years, even when we were clearly the worst team. So no reason to believe they will beat us now that we're improved.

And Stockton, I dont even know what your point is anymore or what your looking for. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over. So, with all these repeat posts, what exactly are you looking for or expecting to happen? You think Pettine is here listening? Do you think WE will put Johnny in the game for you??? Do you expect everyone to drop to their knees and declare you right? Just WTF is your point or the purpose of all your posts????

The Browns haven't been 4-3 since 2007.

It's a pretty empty feeling 4-3, I'll agree. But it's 4-3 nonetheless. Those who are excited about being 4-3 have every right to be, just as those who are questionable about it have every right to be as well.

In some games, the Browns have turned in 2-3 quarters of uninspired, boring play and then broken off a few large plays to steal a victory - which is something I'm not complaining about, seeing as they've been on the other side of that far too many times as of late. But there's just something about them over the past two weeks.

The Browns that lined up against Jacksonville and Oakland are not the same team that lined up against Pittsburgh (both times). I don't believe Alex Mack was that integral in the success of the running game, but his absence is surely being felt. The offensive playcalling has been dialed back. Hoyer seems less composed. Tate can't find a hole to save his life.

One of those things is going to have to change, and fast. All of these things compound on each other.

If we're not getting any deep pressure, the safeties can play closer to the line. If the safeties play in the box, then our line isn't going to open any running lanes. If the line isn't opening lanes, our ground game will falter. If our ground game falters, our play-action game suffers. If our play-action game suffers, the mid-deep routes won't be there. If the mid-deep routes aren't there, Shanahan is going to call routes near the bottom of the tree.

Repeat ad naseum.

Just like Shane Falco says in The Replacements - it's called quicksand. The best way to break out of a slump like that is to go completely off-script. One big pass, one decent-gaining reverse, one mildly successful unorthodox play and you take control of the reigns again. Shanahan's offensive system is all about compounding. Everything sets something else up. But, on the flip side...one thing getting stuffed can lead to an entire offensive meltdown.

However, there is a lot to be excited about. This is a Browns team that does not back down from a fight. They have played some of the shittiest first-half football ever recorded, yet have fought back and grinded out some wins.

In some way, this is embodies the spirit of Cleveland and its fan base - a tough, middle-class city with blue-collar fans that have had to fight for a lot. Cleveland isn't Miami. It's not San Diego. There's a lot to be said in the style of football Cleveland is playing right now. They've shown they can win the tough ones, which is a good foundation.

The metaphors are all well and good and make for a great story but, fuck, I'd love to see them bust off a 50-bomb a time or two.

Gwopdog, you would be kicked out of the Tavern right now with that type statement. The Browns Board is no place for reality.

Now going for martyrdom?

Those who are excited about being 4-3 have every right to be, just as those who are questionable about it have every right to be as well.

So... no one fucked anyone's anything? ;)

Good write up...

I'll take an ugly win over a loss any day of the week. Have we become so spoiled so quickly? not me.

The Steelers win spoiled many, Jax deflated the same people. Life is all about smoothing out your emotions, if you react to the highs and lows with no longer sight then you are in for a rough season.

I'm happy to be 4-3 with a realistic chance of going 5-3. Pack up the self loathing rubbish and get behind this team that is banged up but still wants to win. I can remember games with no TDs and Dawson being the MVP for years. I'll take this team over that any day.

Archived