THE BROWNS BOARD

Observations from today's game

WalterWhite

1. The offense and the defense have done a complete 180.

2. Gipson needs to be signed to a long term deal. You pay that man his money.

3. Kruger looked sharp and aggressive.

4. Brian Hoyer left Travis Benjamin wide open and it might have been 6. He has to hit these throws. He probably had 2 or 3 dropped interceptions as well. He got away with a few He made some good throws as well. He is the text book example of a game manager. I really wanted to see Manziel get in for a series or 2. I really don't know what to say about Hoyer. He's been so hit or miss and losing the ground game hasn't helped. One minute he looks great, the next minute, not so much.

5. The offensive line has gone to horse manure. This can't be ALL BECAUSE of Mack. No one player has this much impact on an offense. I think they should go up tempo more, use draws, screens, and swings to keep the defense out of the box and on their toes. I don't know if it's the play calling or what but they need to harden the fuck up.

6. Can we stop trying to score before the half on our own 20 with 1-2 minutes left instead of just taking it into the half. Run the clock out. We have Jacksonville a TD and Oakland 3 points because of that.

7. Joe Haden earned his paycheck today. I loved seeing that.

8. Justin Gilbert is getting better and better. I loved seeing that.

9. Andrew Hawkins is awesome. I like that.

10. Miles Austin has been Mr. Clutch for us.

11. Barkevious Mingo is a liability. I'm sorry but he is a BUST. He can't tackle. He tackles terrible angles and just eats up roster space.

12. Cundiff did nicely.

13. I was annoyed with the pass rush but this can be due to the coaching or the fact we see NOTHING from Mingo/Sheard

14. Jordan Cameron is going to be our biggest question mark going into the off season. He is a great pass catcher but wow does he get hurt to often. Do we sign him long term or no?

15. Today was huge, next week we have to buttfuck Tampa and carry the momentum into Cincinnati (biggest game in years)

1) its the Raiders. Don't claim a "180" just yet.

2) Yep

3) Kruger still goes to his "jump step" from time to time and wasn't facing a strong Oline today. Looked better, but consistency is key.

4) ehh

5) Yes it can be all because of Mack. If you've even played organized football around an Oline you would have the understanding of how much communication, both verbal and non verbal that an Oline has.

I'm sure once Tour2 grades this game out, he'll see Mcdonald miss on a couple blocks that a man should have been "passed" to him. Or vice versa.

6-10. No real disagreements.

11) He's being put in a position of liability. Again, the kid didn't play football until late in high school and is now being asked to learn his 2nd different position in the NFL.

The rest I was too tired from typing to respond.

Yeah Kruger had a decent game but I still don't think he's 100%. He doesn't look as strong as he was beginning of the season...a bad back will take the piss out of you. I predicted we'd see him at roughly 80% at best the rest of the year. Still had two sacks but one was a complete gimme that any of us could have made. That right tackle should be let go for blatantly letting a down lineman go free like that.

Starting to agree on Mingo. He drove on a screen pass today and whiffed on it while the receiver still had his back to him. I mean the dude is in the air and had just come back down when Mingo arrived....practice squad guys blow that up. Luckily a DB got there a split second later and made the play. Secondary are all starting to make their paychecks. Gilbert had a really good day.

Hughes....haven't heard yet just got home, gone for season? And Cameron..concussion? So there goes another huge offensive personnel and another depth player at D line. Who was #70 out there today? Some white dude on the D line I've never seen before. We know who this is?

Walter "The Weathervane" White... the man knows his 180's... :)

tiamat's right it can be because of Mack's absence. I tried to watch McDonald, but between Tavern noise and wanting to watch the game, only caught a couple early plays. McD looked reasonably athletic, but he was not slipping off chip, double teams to the 2nd level... which was Mack's forte'.

We shall see... at least the grading won't be the chore it was last week...

My 2 cents...

- We have no consistent pass rush. Other than Kruger, I don't see anyone that seems to know how to shed a block.

- Our run defense is enemic, but surprisingly showed some improvement today.

- I'm seeing overall improvement in our pass coverage. Haden's playing better, Gipson is showing he may be a premier dback. Even Gilbert seems to be coming around.

- With the loss of Mack, our O-Line has gone from above-average to poop.

- Hoyer played better this week than against the Jags, but has been showing some lapses in judgement. And he's missing a few guys that are wide open. He keeps doing this, I may have to jump on the JM bandwagon.

- Punt and kickoff coverage was very good today.

- The Raiders had every opportunity to win this game. If they had picked off one of Hoyer's F'ed up passes or if McFadden hadn't fumbled into Haden's hands, it could easily have gone the other way.

We were, once again, a second half team. Nothing new there...

What I think was new in the 2nd half were two units actually feeding off each other's success.

At least it felt new to me... Not even in our record comeback against TN did I get that feeling. That just felt more like an Offensive surge.

So I went to bed at half time, watching the rest now (but checked the scores already).

My eyes must be deceiving me, because - and you're going to love this - I'm seeing 39 total rushing yards, for an average of 1.6 YPC. Against the raiders bottom-ish ranked run defence. Can someone tell me I just need to have another coffee and things will look better in that regard?!

Seriously, Travis Benjamin - if it's not there, don't dance, just pick up the 5 yards you can, don't try to cut back and break to the other side, get surrounded, dance some more, get tackled and stripped. Just, stop it.

A couple things have been said here but I'll +1 if they were.

-Gilbert and Haden had the best damn games of the year, by far. I was very surprised with how athletic the WR core for the Raiders was, and outside of a couple plays they totally shut them down. A good amount of catches were good throws by Carr and amazing catches by the WR group. Gilbert's only bad play IMO was right there at the end with the garbage TD.

-Hoyer did what he had to in order to put a W on the board. However, I think a lot of people can agree the stat line is deceptive to how he looked out there. The way I see it: If the Browns keep winning with him under center, you keep playing him. It's that simple.

-Even though they still looked sub-par, it's clear having Rubin and Hughes back did make a difference. I hope Hughes isn't out though, although it looked bad.

-The verdict is out on what teams are going to do to stifle the Browns offense. Tour, if you have the time I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown of men in the box again. On 1st down plays seemingly every time there was 8+. IDC what a defense is ranked, you play to stop the run like that and it will get stopped. The Browns have to get back to the drawing board and go about ways to counter this (quick slants/throws etc on 1st down).

-Mingo is quickly becoming a bust, big time. I know people are saying he's learning a new position yada yada, but he's WILDLY out of position on a lot of plays. Couple that with the fact he never seems to tackle, and wow. Huge liability out there for the defense, but I'm not sure who is better.

To sum it all up, my favorite quote in the history of football: Just win, baby.

1. The offense and the defense have done a complete 180.

Well, the defense certainly did look good yesterday.....but remember....the Raiders are #32 in offense in the NFL.

2. Gipson needs to be signed to a long term deal. You pay that man his money.

Absolutely

3. Kruger looked sharp and aggressive.

At least he did what he was paid to do. I often saw him beating double teams.

4. Brian Hoyer left Travis Benjamin wide open and it might have been 6. He has to hit these throws. He probably had 2 or 3 dropped interceptions as well. He got away with a few He made some good throws as well. He is the text book example of a game manager. I really wanted to see Manziel get in for a series or 2. I really don't know what to say about Hoyer. He's been so hit or miss and losing the ground game hasn't helped. One minute he looks great, the next minute, not so much.

No doubt he could be more accurate. When you compare him to the 40/49 that BR did and the 30/35 that Brady did, and the 4-5 TD performances that Manning has done.....I want our QB to be in that class. You can['t get there by making inaccurate throws.

5. The offensive line has gone to horse manure. This can't be ALL BECAUSE of Mack. No one player has this much impact on an offense. I think they should go up tempo more, use draws, screens, and swings to keep the defense out of the box and on their toes. I don't know if it's the play calling or what but they need to harden the fuck up.

Well, if could be all because of Mack....because Mack made all the offensive line calls, and because the one thing that an OLine needs is continuity and without Mack they have lost their continuity. Also an offensive line is only as good as its weakest link, and in this case McDonald seems to really be a weak link. The running game failed yesterday primarily because of the constant penetration the Raiders Defense was getting up the middle, and the center is the guy responsible for stopping that penetration.....and McDonald seems to be an off brand IUD.....i/e incapable of stopping penetration.

6. Can we stop trying to score before the half on our own 20 with 1-2 minutes left instead of just taking it into the half. Run the clock out. We have Jacksonville a TD and Oakland 3 points because of that.

In other words, quit giving the opponents cheap points.

7. Joe Haden earned his paycheck today. I loved seeing that.

8. Justin Gilbert is getting better and better. I loved seeing that.

9. Andrew Hawkins is awesome. I like that.

10. Miles Austin has been Mr. Clutch for us.

Good to go on 7-10

11. Barkevious Mingo is a liability. I'm sorry but he is a BUST. He can't tackle. He tackles terrible angles and just eats up roster space.

He is beginning to have the stench of Mike Lombardi about him, yes. Though I can't also help but think that he is being used wrong. Putting him as a run stopper and coverage LB may be fine because the other guys we have can't do it, but I see him as a Fred Dean, Charles Haley type. Long, thin, fast speed pass rusher. We need to try to let him do what he was built for.

12. Cundiff did nicely.

13. I was annoyed with the pass rush but this can be due to the coaching or the fact we see NOTHING from Mingo/Sheard

Actually I thought Sheard did a good job of getting pressure on the QB yesterday, allowing Kruger to mop up.

14. Jordan Cameron is going to be our biggest question mark going into the off season. He is a great pass catcher but wow does he get hurt to often. Do we sign him long term or no?

Cameron is a TE who is often asked to catch the ball over the middle. On occasion a headhunting DB is going to crown him, and that is what happened yesterday. That DB may get a suspension. No one in Cameron's position is going to escape the occasional head buster.

15. Today was huge, next week we have to buttfuck Tampa and carry the momentum into Cincinnati (biggest game in years)

Break out the KY you say?

Tour, if you have the time I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown of men in the box again. On 1st down plays seemingly every time there was 8+.

no problem...

One thing we have to fix NOW is the punt return game. It's absolutely pathetic. I've never seen an NFL team that couldnt field AND RETURN a punt.

I think it's terrible that no one has been brought in or tried as an alternate. How can they settle for just catching the ball???

Benji cut his own throat this week. Hopefully it was enough for them to move on and get someone else in there.

Gabriel, Gilbert, Moore or some FA off the shit pile would be better than whats happening now. .

Jets beat Oakland

I'd say that TB, Jax are definitely worse than Oakland but I don't think Oakland will win a game. The rest of their schedule is incredible.

I was wondering the same thing. Im thinking, maybe, they will beat KC in one of their divisional games. But they do look like the best candidate to go winless in quite a while

Archived