THE BROWNS BOARD

Curiosity

VaporTrail

So Curiosity landed on Mars, and its role is to assess whether or not the environment was viable for microbial life. If it turns out it was, there is a chance it still is. And in that case, we are gathering data for the first manned expedition to the Red Planet. How do you feel about these expenditures?

So Curiosity landed on Mars, and its role is to assess whether or not the environment was viable for microbial life. If it turns out it was, there is a chance it still is. And in that case, we are gathering data for the first manned expedition to the Red Planet. How do you feel about these expenditures?

The tech is actually not there to do it atm. The amount of fuel needed to lift off from earth, reach mars, lift off from mars and return home would be extremely huge. http://www.polaris.iastate.edu/EveningStar/Unit7/unit7_sub2.htm According to this article it would be roughly 63tons of fuel per 1 ton of payload. Overall a trip to and back(or just a trip to mars to colonize) I would fully support.

edit: not sure what was going on with that link so changed it

But seriously any time we as Americans start caring about science I think it's a good thing. Funding to these projects does more than just whatever the project is supposed to do directly, they might also inspire the next great scientist to have an interest in the subject

The problem with funding for these projects has to deal with a messed up ideology from the Obama administration.

Obama and friends would rather close up shop on the space shuttle so they can use the money on social programs.

School daze: The liberalization of public education

- Cal Thomas

"It is good that Children are thinking

about the world, but that they mostly

reflect a single point of view is the stuff

of nations that indoctrinate children."

"This imposition of liberalism is being

accomplished with the tax dollars of

many people who do not share a liberal

point of view.

No wonder liberals oppose freedom of school choice for parents."

The beginning of another school year affords opportunities for politicians to complain that not enough money is being spent on education and for others to observe the disappointing results from the record amounts of money that have already been spent on our public schools. Occasionally, one sees evidence of how young minds are being manipulated in these institutions to accept a certain point of view about politics and the world.

One such example is found in a publication called "editorial Cartoons by Kids-2001," published by News Currents of Madison, Wis., which describes itself as "a weekly current events discussion program (with print and Internet components) ... (covering) important and interesting news and feature stories for students in a radically old fashioned way ..."

They have the radical part right, although by that they mean, "We rely on the skill of teachers and the curiosity of motivated kids."

Looking at the editorial cartoons drawn by children from kindergarten to high school reveals an ideology that's mostly liberal.

Jake Zingler, a fourth grader in Albuquerque, N.M., won second place in the contest for his cartoon of three pigs -- labeled "rich," "GOP Congress" and "big business" -- eating at a trough. A sign over the trough reads, "Bush Tax Cut."

Keenan Fernandez, a sixth grader from Albany, N.Y., has a man standing in front of George W. Bush. The man says, "I think, therefore I am." In the next panel, President Bush evaporates. The point seems to be that Bush doesn't think, therefore he isn't.

Natasha Bax, a Los Angeles fifth grader, has drawn two rest room doors. One has a male symbol and is labeled (Attorney General) "John Ashcroft's Office." The other has a female symbol and is labeled "Out of Order."

It doesn't get any better in junior high. Breanne Sullivan, a seventh grader from Wilmington, Del., has drawn figures representing President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. They stand on a "yellow brick road." The cartoon is titled, "The Wizard of Oz Party" and is subtitled, "1 doesn't have a brain. 1 doesn't have a heart."

Amelia Quist, of Watertown, Wis., depicts President Bush violating church-state separation by destroying the Constitution. Several entries take the Democrats' view that Bush stole the election, and that Republicans are polluters and don't care about the poor.

Will Hubbard, a 12th-grader in North Parm Beach, Fla., has drawn a cartoon featuring a chess board. The king is topped with a dollar sign and the queen with a cross. The rooks are the GOP elephant symbol, the bishops are Cheney and Ashcroft, and the pawn is President Bush. Hubbard won first place in the "senior level" competition.

Mike Luckovich, editorial cartoonist for the Atlanta Journal Constitution, praises the work: "The kids are not only aware of what's going on in the country and the world, they also have the intelligence to comment on issues in a cogent and often funny way," he states on the back of the publication.

It is good that Children are thinking about the world, but that they mostly reflect a single point of view is the stuff of nations that indoctrinate children.

Woodrow Wilson, one of our most idealistic presidents, said, "The great melting pot of America, the place where we are all made Americans of, is the public school, where men of every race, and of every origin, and of every station of life send their children, or ought to send their children, and where, being mixed together, they are all infused with the American spirit and developed into the American man and the American woman."

Not anymore.

If these editorial cartoons accurately depict what's going into and coming out of American minds, public education, which increasingly fails the nation in too many categories, is succeeding in churning out more young people made in the liberal image. This imposition of liberalism is being accomplished with the tax dollars of many people who do not share a liberal point of view. No wonder liberals oppose freedom of school choice for parents.

It's a disgrace. Money being spent to change America by getting to and indoctrinating kids.

That's why, again, they don't want them out of reach in private and private religious schools, and they

really HATE home schooling too.

And, that's why they don't want property taxes to pay for schools. That gives the parents a way of clamping down

on perverts and perverted liberalism cult garbage in our schools.

Why, here's another thing I'm curious about.

What about my idea, to require gun training in schools? I think it got lost.

I think Alo or Zombo ate it.

Really, what about requiring kids to attend classes in gun safety and training? Seriously.

Space exploration is the only true option for mankind. To go on another thousand years we need to get off the planet, colonize others and mine for resources. An expedition to mars is ok in my book. Baby steps. Now all we have to do is get not only liberals and conservatives working together, but every industrial nation in the world to begin being able to afford it...

Newt Gingrich thought about that too, at least to the moon that is. It made sense to the point where private business along with the brilliant minds of NASA can pull this stuff off.

I totally agree with the new frontier part of this - just way too cool not to do this!

I wonder about magnet propulsion as a means of interstellar travel. Similar on concept to a bullet train. How far could a super magnet fling you in the limitless vacuum of space? If there's no drag the answer seems to be as far as you want...although something would need to be done about possible collisions

I thought you were finally coming out of the closet with Bunker.:wub:

Building those steel tracks all the way to mars would be a pain in the ass!

:o

WSS

Why would you need tracks steve? Theotetically on space there's nothing to throw you off course except collision. That you'd need some sort of collision detection system and boosters is a given. Something has to be able to slow it down

Why would you need tracks steve? Theotetically on space there's nothing to throw you off course except collision. That you'd need some sort of collision detection system and boosters is a given. Something has to be able to slow it down

No idea.

I thought magnets had to repulse against something.....

WSS

Gravity would like to have a word with you. And Woody's right about the magnets, see the following diagram.

1285770302993.jpg

You are going to have to explain exactly how you plan on launching and directing the spacecraft with rockets.

And there is gravity in space. You are always under the influence of gravity no matter where you are. How strong though depends on distance and mass.

Archived