THE BROWNS BOARD

Your favorite vocalists of all time

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cal, did you like her duet album with Robert Plant?

FWIW, I liked it a lot John

I did - I wouldn't have thought that duet pair would work, but

it really did. I just think that Alison Krauss is magic. And, btw,

Garth Brooks has a great voice.

I'm still waiting for Steve to tell me that a duet with him and Alison Krauss is secretly

in the works...... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Cal, did you like (Krauss') duet album with Robert Plant?

FWIW, I liked it a lot

Awesome pairing...

I owe knowing this one to XM Radio's "Deep Tracks" where they had real DJs who always mixed some new music with their Classic rock deep dives.

• 2 weeks later...

My eclectic 2 cents worth:

1) Prince (first, foremost and always)

2) Meatloaf

3) Ted Neeley (Jesus Christ Superstar. (I have the pleasure of knowing him, amazing man and he has an amazing voice)

4) Journey (with Steve Perry)

5) Alice Cooper (going to see him May 17th, yay!)

6) Dean Martin

7) Elvis

8) The Beatles

9) Buddy Holly

Carl had the voice of am angel. Ted is an awesome guy all the way around. Plus he loves my pecan pies and buckeyes lol. I was never fortunate enough to meet Carl. I wish I had. But the first time they did Superstar without him it was with Corey Glover in 2006 then it was James Delisco after that. I thought James did an excellent job as Judas, almost as if he was channeling Carl, he was amazing. The last time I saw Ted was somewhere near the Natural History Museum last March when they were doing the special screenings and I got to meet Barry Dennen who was Pontius Pilot in the film and Bob Bingham who was Ciaphas. Ted was also in Quentin Tarentino's Django Unchained, the story I could tell you about that casting, lol. But Ted also has another cd fairly new called Workin' For The Words. Great stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't know that I have favorite vocalists - kind of like having a favorite flavor of ice cream I guess - but any list has to include both Linda Ronstadt and Bonnie Raitt, IMHO

Linda has my fav female voice of all time.

I love Bonnie for her ability to emote. For lack of a better way of putting it, you can hear her mileage in her voice.

Couple other names I'll add:

• James Taylor - his voice just pours over you
  • Steve Marriott - polar opposite of JT, the ultimate cigs and whiskey voice and my fav rock voice
  • Ruth Brown - lesser known jazz vocalist that jazz vocalists list
  • Tracey Thorn - "The Girl" in Everything but the girl
  • Al Green - as close to an aphrodisiac as was ever captured on vinyl
  • Joni Mitchell - better writer than vocalist, but I just can't separate the two in my fav female artist

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Josh homme is an interesting pick to me. I wouldn't consider him a great vocalist bUT I really like some of his stuff.

Yeah, for vocal talent or technical ability alone, he would never make a top 50 even, but I really dig his style. Actually, A former band member of Homme's, Mark Lannegan, would probably be more suitable for this list.

Archived