THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 O-line Grades: Week 3 – Raiders

Tour2ma

By now you should know both the caution and my system

2015 O-line Grades: Week 3 Raiders

There were 10 series this week including the two-play final series of the 1st-half.

There were 30 first-half plays and 45 second-half plays 75 graded plays total.

Note: Graded plays include plays negated, but unaffected, by penalty.

Drive Starting Times

1st Half : S1 - 8:33; S2 - 2:43; (Q2) S3 - 13:14; S4 6:46; S5 - 00:15

2nd Half: S6 15:00; S7 - 9:25; (Q4) S8 - 14:30; S9 - 8:26; S10 - 2:26

Weekly Box Count...

1st : 8+ - 5; 7 - 13; 6 3 ; 5 - 6; 4 or less - 3

2nd: 8+ - 9; 7 - 15; 6 - 10; 5 4; 4 or less - 7

Ttl : 8+ -14 ; 7 28 ; 6 - 14; 5 10; 4 or less - 10

Four was the lowest box count seen in Game 3. In goal-line we saw 10-man fronts.

Weekly Run Direction...

Here are our game 2 results from WideLeft to WideRight:

WL-0 / L-2 / M-9 / R-2 / WR-1

The Grades

Reverse order this week because Mitch and John earned it..

Mitchell Schwartz: 1st +13-0 net +13 w/ 1D+; 2nd +12-6 net +6 w/ 1D-; Game Totals: +25-6 net +19

Last week I said, "Mitch had a very, very good week. Now he needs to build on it." Well he built on it. Mitch dropped the Co from his Co-valedictorian title a week ago. For the first time ever, I have Mitch atop the heap. Khalil Mack won a couple battles, fought a couple others to a draw, but Mitch won the war. By the end Mack was spent, but then I think he was on the field every defensive down.

Last week I mentioned Mitch's "punch" being shown for the first time. Less of it used this week but there was memorable two-hander (S7P11) that stunned an LB for a beat. More on display this week was his getting off the ball. I showed a pic last week where Joe T. was fastest off the ball. This week in PassPro Mitch was right with him and on runs he was beating Joe.

We are seeing real growth here and maybe a little reputation growth as well Mitch got away with a pretty clear hold. Not sure thats happened before either.

Mitch received 1 D- for the game KMack beat Mitch with a gorgeous spin move to the outside and got the edge and the strip-sack of McCown (S8P10). It was the first time KM had showed that move to Schwartz that game. Two series later KM tried it to the inside and Mitch stoned it (S10P2).

Mitchs lone D+ came relatively early when he lost KMack, but somehow managed to recover and keep KM away and Josh upright. The pass was completed to Hart for 17 (S2P3).

John Greco: 1st +11-1 net +10 w/ 1D+; 2nd +11-3 net +8 w/ 1D+; Game Totals: +21-4 net +17

A very strong first half by John powered him to his third, double-digit, positive performance in a row.

Johns received no D-'s this week and only 3 's. Here they are: Bulled back to Josh (S1P2), a play negated by Penalty on OAK; yielding a pressure after he missed a looping LB (S7P11); getting beaten by an inside rip (S10P2); and allowing a pressure (S10P8).

Grecos 2D+'s came for picking up an inside loop (S4P5) and stoning 2 rushers, initial and looper, on the games last offensive play (S10P11). It was a big finale for this years steadiest OL so far.

Alex Mack: 1st +9-7 net +2 w/ 1D+&2D-; 2nd +8-8 net +0 w/ 1D-&1D+; Game Totals: +17-15 net +2

Well its better than his net negative in Week 2, but now Im more than a little concerned about Alex. Hes just not the same player or at least hes not getting the same results.

Three D-'s were earned for: getting blown back on a middle Z-run (S4P2) that Crow bounced outside for -4; missing the snap count on 4th and goal (S4P13); and slow to react to stunt allowing QB hit (S8P8).

Two D+'s came for: an early run Chip and 2nd-level seal (S1P3); and a late, 2nd-level seal (S8P6). Both were flashes of the old Alex.

Joel Bitonio: 1st +9-8 net +1 w/ 1D+&1D-; 2nd +15-4 net +11 w/ 1D+&1D-; Game Totals: +24-12 net +12

This week was the third slow start in a row by Bito. After four plays he was -3 with 1+, 2- and a D-. And he started our 2nd series with 2 negative plays in a row. Better warm up needed?

Bitos first D-, mentioned above, was for overrunning a block on a run left by Crow (S1P3). His second was for getting beaten by an inside spin and swim pass rush resulting in a QB hit S6P2).

Joels first D+ came for a sweet chip and 2nd-level seal just like Alex taught him (S4P2). Hos 2nd came for persistence in protecting Josh during his only real scramble of the day at the end of which he looked at Duke for the 2nd time and hit him for a small gain (S7P9).

Joe Thomas: 1st +6-5 net +1 w/ 1D+&2D-; 2nd +14-4 net +10 w/ 1D-; Game Totals: +20-9 net +11

OAK did not challenge Joe early; they had to come to him late.

More D-'s than we are used to seeing from Joe in a week. Two came very early. Here they are: failed to get his seal block on the same early play Bito overran (S1P3); not only failed to sell our attempted screen-left to Duke, but reacted to cut off rush by ROLB (S1P6, see pic).

post-2853-0-26653500-1443659880_thumb.jpg

Joe's last D- came when he gave up sack by not handling stunt on games 2nd to last offensive play (S10P10). Bito was awarded a "-" for the play. It's worth noting that the same "game" run to the opposite side earned Greco a D+ and Schwartz a "+" on the very next play.

Joes D+ came for a beautiful, reverse seal on a run away (S4P2). A play Bito also scored a D+ on. However, it was also the play where Alex was blown up killing it. And so it goes...

Cam Erving: Game Totals: +0-1 net -1

You dont run many 3TE sets from behind. Cam's lone score was for not budging his opposite on 1st and goal (S4P10).

Other Blockers:

TEs: Epic fails or bad match ups?

• Barn: +1-1 net 0 over 100-yds receiving. 'nuff said.
  • Dray: +3-3 net 0 w/ 1D+&1D- D+ for pretty edge block on Crows bounce outside and near scoring run and DID NOT HOLD! (S4P8). D- for getting ripped to ground by KMack who nailed Crow for a loss (S2P4). Dray on KMack? Well, not as bad as Duke on KM
  • Housler: Who? I think he cried for a PI once. Did not get the call. Clearly needs work on that.
RBs: More of the same epic fails or???
  • M. Johnson: +1-10 net -9 w/ 5D- Not only still not moving people, now also getting moved. His lone + was for a double team block on 3rd and goal (S4P12). Now the D- parade: Leading wide left on a middle zone run (S3P1); ineffective lead block (S4P2); ineffective lead block (S4P10); missed filling ILB on middle toss to Crow I swear he saw the LB by ran right by him (S7P13); and whiffed on KM who sacked Josh (S8P1).
  • Crow: +2-4 net -2 w/ 1D+&1D- The D- for missing a blitz p/u (S7P5) for a nice blitz p/u (S6P3). The D+ for picking up a later CB blitz (S10P3).
  • Duke: +2-1 net +1 another plus game for our Rook HB thats 3 in a row.
  • Draughn: +1-0 net +1 for stunt p/u (S2P3).
WRs: Only one this week
  • Gabe: +2-0 net +2 A big D+ for his DB block on Duke late catch and run for 18 (S10P8).
  • Benji: nope
  • Hart: nein
  • Hawk: nix
General Notes:

1. Our run game

Design? Communication? Vision?

At least thank you, Flip for keeping the Pistol holstered again this week.

2. Our RB Corps

With Turbin still a week or more away, its time to look harder at Draughn. I would not start him, but I would bump him to #2 and put him in early. Crows vision has been very spotty at best. Let's play, "Where's the hole?"

post-2853-0-27664000-1443660100_thumb.jpg

Duke has shown to be a capable passing down RB both in catching and blocking. Let him do this for now.

Time for M.Johnson to sit and give Bibbs a shot at H-back.

3. Pass Blocking

Not awful, but not good enough. It was plenty quiet enough to hear all kinds of on-field chatter during the game. Under those circumstances communication, even in the course of the play should have tightened up our execution. Also still seeing too many plays where half the line is overrun while the other half has a blocker free.

4. Play action

Good, not great, in very limited use due to the game circumstances, but Josh introduced us to hard counts (got OAK twice) and the pump fake also twice.

5. Hot reads

Did not note any but seems like there were. Certainly were numerous quick passes.

6. Snap Counts

Hard counts worked twice. Especially loved Josh getting us back the five wed just lost due to a false start by Dray.

7. Prettiest new to me play

Sluggo pass was shy by more than a little but the pump and the dip in by Benji were well-timed.

8. Personnel

Can a brotha get a 4WR look? With 4 actual WRs? But warning, if you do this, then Ill ask for 5

Its time for Bowe and Bibbs. Its time to sit Housler and M.Johnson.

10. Fun with Three TEs...

OK, Flip Ill stop bitching if you sprinkle in some because we have a lead. You can have even more slack if one of the three TEs is Bibbs...

11. Shifty Flippy

Saw it once (S3P2).

Revelation(s) of the week:

Maybe later

Rant of the week:

Cleats. Benji Crow Duke Haden all slipped or stumbled early. How can the home team not get their cleats right. Now do we have to suffer the deficiencies of our equipment staff? Our grounds crew?

Weekly Special Request:

Checked for ball scootching early and did not see anything significant.

Reminder: I do take requests. If what you are interested in interests me and/or is not a major time commitment, I may well do it.

Weekly Quiz:

Where's the Hole? If you said straight ahead you were wrong... at least according to Crow.

post-2853-0-14133200-1443660263_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Love to see Schwartz's development. You said that these grades gave you optimism about our game this week. I don't see anything notable to foster that in your grades, or is it just because you think the running game failures are more a Crow problem than an OL problem?

Next week I'll join you as A&M is on bye, though not sure if I'll adapt to your system for comparison's sake or stick to my own for comfort's sake. Thanks again.

Where's the hole?

It was in the misread by the QB who didn't see they were bringing 8 in that play, so it was in the head. ;)

I too am surprised at the ratings, especially 1st half. My only explanation is that each negative must have come 1 per play because something stopped our O almost every play. It only takes one player screwing up to mess up a play. So you can get 4 +'s and 1 - and still not go anywhere.

If you have the time could you check a few plays tour to see if that was the case?

I still haven't watched the game - might have to spike my green tea with vinegar to

get myself mentally toughened up for it.......

actually, just tryin to catch up on all the work after campin with friends for 4 days last week.

Really, really appreciate the analysis - very cool stuff, Tour. Maybe you could do one of these

the day BEFORE the game, so I can watch the game, and know what to look for? ;)

lol... just need to add the crystal-ball option to my DVR, cal.

I too am surprised at the ratings, especially 1st half. My only explanation is that each negative must have come 1 per play because something stopped our O almost every play. It only takes one player screwing up to mess up a play. So you can get 4 +'s and 1 - and still not go anywhere.

If you have the time could you check a few plays tour to see if that was the case?

Easy to scan and count the O-line scores... as you can clearly see by this peek at worksheet 1 of 3.

2015-03-1.pdf

lol... sadly the scan actually looks cleaner than my lined, yellow pad.

Best run example in answer to your question is S4P2. Look at it and you'll see:

JT++ JB++ AM-- JG+ MS+ play should have gone up the middle but Alex getting blown up forced(?) Crow to bounce wide. The play lost 4 yards.

Here are tallies of all 3 sheets...

Plays with all positive scores : 1 + 0 = 01 Deep pass to Gabe (S4P4) overthrown.

Plays with no negative scores: 17+26 = 43 Many due to soft pass rush by tired OAK D late in halves.

Plays with one negative score: 10+15 = 25

Plays with > 1 negative scores: 3 + 3 = 06 actually adds up to 75 plays... on the first try... :)

Of the 43 "no neg" plays: 12+23 = 35 were passes, only 8 were runs. One of the pass plays yielded a sack... when KM blew up M.Johnson.

Thanks. Love to see Schwartz's development. You said that these grades gave you optimism about our game this week. I don't see anything notable to foster that in your grades, or is it just because you think the running game failures are more a Crow problem than an OL problem?

Next week I'll join you as A&M is on bye, though not sure if I'll adapt to your system for comparison's sake or stick to my own for comfort's sake. Thanks again.

Great on the join-in... and by all means stay with whatever you are developing. We can still compare relative ranking for the week. Can even add in PFF's results. I have to admit I am curious to know if PFF is seeing Schwartz's ascendance this year and Mack's struggles. Four weeks in ought to be about right for an initial comparison.

The backs are definitely playing a significant role. They seem to be anticipating rather than reacting when they run... and when they block.

As for my overall optimism... its only in part due to the O-line play. Other factors that I see during the line grading come into play. I keep many of those out of this thread. Plus it is safe to say that my optimism is not exactly overwhelming... more like I am optimistic-ish...

Love reading these but have to admit very surprised, seemed the O line was the biggest problem on offense to me last week.

Join the club... I've quit trying to anticipate the results.

I enjoyed reading it too....as always....thanks for that!

In a nutshell, it sounds like the backs are the greater issue with running, than the line is.....though there is room for improvement everywhere....

Gotta say, Ive always been a Mitch supporter and am real happy to see him continuing to play well, while still improving....

In re to your PFF mention.....here's what they have...

Joe Thomas @ +8.5 and ranked 3rd league wide (+3.3, +3.2, +2.0)

John Greco @ + 1.5 and ranked 8th lw (-0.8, +0.1, +2.2)

Mitch Schwartz @ +1.0 and ranked 8th lw (+0.8, +2.2, -2.0) < hmmm for game 3

Alex Mack @ -2.5 and ranked 17th lw (-1.5, -3.1, +2.5)

Joel Bitonio @ -3.4 and ranked 23rd lw (-1.7, -1.9, +0.2)

So Bito and Mack are way down there.....the other 3 near the top.....

Im not too worried....based upon past performance, I think they'll both improve....though a bit worried about Mack and if he's got some lingering injury issues....

lol... I saw "continuing" in Italics... watch yourself...

Odd to see agreement with PFF in Mitch's week 1 to week 2 direction, but then to diverge weeks 2 to 3... Especially since he saw so much of KM week 3. I thought PFF was big on competition level? Hard to remember a play when Mitch did not see wither Khalil or Aldon Smith.

And while "seeing" does not mean a name player tests his opposite on every play. I try to be aware of Defensive players taking a play off. They all do and it is not that hard to see.

My football Junkie medicine, thanks Tour. Heard some news on Mack might have a new girlfriend that may give him ties to stay in Ctown? It's got to be something to consider at this point. He looks to be playing with no fire under his ass till someone piss's him off..

Came across the Football Outsiders' O-line rankings...

Overall they have us 27th in Run-Blocking and 29th in PassPro.

In directional run-blocking our rank by their Adjusted Line Yards measure is:

WideL-27 / LTackle-30 / Middle-12 / RTackle-30 / WideR-19

Our directional percentages are: WL-5 / LT-11 / M-61 / RT-13 / WR-10

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I think it's that the defenses know that they can afford to stack eight men in the box,

especially on first down, and dare the qb play to beat them with no star bluechippie wr

to make them pay the price.

Oh, what it would have been, if, instead of Gilbert....

nope.

Gotta stop - does no good.

Gotta say T, the O line failed my eye test on Sunday. I only watched the game once, live, and I saw a LOS that never seemed to be pushed downfield, and we were lucky if it just stayed neutral. On pass plays, McCown threw from a dirty pocket seemingly all day, on every snap.

Came across the Football Outsiders' O-line rankings...

Overall they have us 27th in Run-Blocking and 29th in PassPro.

In directional run-blocking our rank by their Adjusted Line Yards measure is:

WideL-27 / LTackle-30 / Middle-12 / RTackle-30 / WideR-19

Our directional percentages are: WL-5 / LT-11 / M-61 / RT-13 / WR-10

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Guess it just adds to "everybody's got their own numbers" theory

lol... I saw "continuing" in Italics... watch yourself...

Ha....thats more a result of my 2 year battle to establish he dont suck vs establishing he's great...

Of course, now a days it seems it HAS to be one or the other......

Gotta say T, the O line failed my eye test on Sunday. I only watched the game once, live, and I saw a LOS that never seemed to be pushed downfield, and we were lucky if it just stayed neutral. On pass plays, McCown threw from a dirty pocket seemingly all day, on every snap.

No doubt, D, but the only real attempts to move opposing linemen downfield were in short yardage situations. While true that most failed to do so in most of those situations, there weren't that many of those.

As for pockets... yes, there were only a couple perfect ones in which McC could luxuriate. But were a lot more "adequate" ones he could move in and/or step in enough to do his job.

Guess it just adds to "everybody's got their own numbers" theory

Kinda like the man with two watches?

Not going to pretend my watch is better than PFF's, but I'd at least like to understand why in some cases theirs and mine are running in opposite directions while in other cases they show pretty much the same time.

I would trust your own grades, Tour. Yes, PFF is awesome, but they have almost 1,500 guys to grade every week. Even if there WAS a PFF employee that only did Browns OL, it's not a labor of love like it is for you. "If you want something done right, gotta do it yourself."

Archived