THE BROWNS BOARD

Can we all agree now that this defense needs tore the fuck up?

Clevfan4life

Honestly at this point Shelton and the Bryants are the only guys i'd give tryouts to if I was revamping this team, everyone else i'm like gtfo I've seen enough of you jokers. If I was GM i'd be quietly shopping Kruger this week in the off chance someone needs depth and is willing to part with a tangible asset like a QB or a WR. Be shopping Mingo too. Watched that dude try to arm tackle a guys thigh pad on his way past him for a TD. Had he stuck his helmet in the guys midsection like you're taught since HS maybe enough momentum could have bled off the guy for the other LB'ers to finish. Just lack of any and all fundamentals that just make this team so hard to watch. I'm completely done with Kruger, those that were trashing this free agent acquisition were right on the money.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about Nate Orchard? I thought that was a really smart draft pick. I would start him, HELL start all of them! Orchard, Cooper, Erving, Shelton, and get rid of some of these injury prone, collecting a large paycheck guys.

Also, why was Bowe inactive? Did Justin Gilbert play?

what about Nate Orchard? I thought that was a really smart draft pick. I would start him, HELL start all of them! Orchard, Cooper, Erving, Shelton, and get rid of some of these injury prone, collecting a large paycheck guys.

Also, why was Bowe inactive? Did Justin Gilbert play?

Bowe was inactive probably cause he's a bum and the staff has figured out he doesn't want to play football anymore, just collect a final guaranteed paycheck and retire.

After a lot of thought on our defense I note three main things 1) they can't maintain focus 2) they lack intensity. 3) they are slow .................they all need adderal!! Lol especially Haden

Some appear to need Geritol spiked Dr. Pepper.

just collect a final guaranteed paycheck and retire.

just like mike holmgren who you proclaimed to be the next coming of jesus christ who would save the city/state and anything browns?

hey how'd watkins do today?

mr. nostradamus.

what was it this game...135 yds out of a RB again? Is that ever gonna stop?

I thought one of the off season priorities was to shore up the run defense FAIL.

Bowe was inactive probably cause he's a bum and the staff has figured out he doesn't want to play football anymore, just collect a final guaranteed paycheck and retire.

bingo!!!

I think one guy it's time to examine out there on the field is Whitner. Love the dude and was way solid for several years, but he's starting to lose it now. Misses tackle like crazy, gets beat in coverage a lot, and just doesn't look quick out there. I think he's the best option as of this second but he's also becoming a glaring weakness.

I think one guy it's time to examine out there on the field is Whitner. Love the dude and was way solid for several years, but he's starting to lose it now. Misses tackle like crazy, gets beat in coverage a lot, and just doesn't look quick out there. I think he's the best option as of this second but he's also becoming a glaring weakness.

And did you catch the play of our former safety T.J. Ward last night? All world. :o

just like mike holmgren who you proclaimed to be the next coming of jesus christ who would save the city/state and anything browns?

hey how'd watkins do today?

mr. nostradamus.

Holmgren? I wasn't even here during the Holmgren era. I couldn't stand that fuck after he got rid of Vickers. You got me confused with someone else. As for Watkins, no I didn't see how he did today but apparently he was only thrown to like once. Could be cause he attracts so much of secondary's attentions that they can't throw to him reliably. Do we have anyone like that on the Browns? Someone defense's say "shit we gotta double dat nigga!!"

Sammy caught 1 for 39 yds...

Back at the thread...

Tore up? No... but a set of multifaceted LBs would be nice.

I just see us so deficient at so many positions that I would be reaching for the mulligan button. The entire LB'ing needs fired. So much of the secondary needs replaced it's almost a firesale. Most of the D line excluding the Bryants and Shelton need to go. It is almost a complete tear up. There is not ONE single player on our defense that you can say "oh he's a bonafide playmaker he absolutely has to stay". Not one guy. There's guys that are solid that i'd like to keep and see how they develop...but not one bonafide stud yet. Tired of it.

The D is really disappointing....for sure....some of the same culprits from last season....and a few unexpected ones too....

First....the expected......Our OLBs are playing terrible(again).....Mingo, Orchard and Kruger aint getting it done....cant seal an edge for their lives or help out in the run game....and offering exactly "zero" in terms of pass rush....weak last year and weak this year.....THIS is problem #1......

Honestly think the D line has improved....a lot!....though Des Bryant still sucks(only 1 tackle and nothing else so far).....But I do see Shelton and Starks as GREAT adds and expect they will continue to improve.....but the line cant do it all and the OLB's are making it too easy just to bounce outside and run.......

And the real culprits are the guys we all thought were so good.....Gipson, Haden and Whitner.....all 3 are playing poorly and it's really costing us.....In fact, according to PFF, they are the lowest rated Browns defenders(supposedly our 3 best players, pro bowlers, etc etc)....the glimmer of hope is that they have a history of playing well, so gotta hope they find their game and get back on track.....though they are being asked to do WAY too much, because the OLB's cant stop shit......Whitner leads the team in tackles(and missed tackles), but he's trying to do Krugers job.....Same can be said for Gipson and Mingo.....Gonna give props to Traymon Williams though, cause he has played really well.....and, as a side note, Desir was our top rated DB this week.....

Last draft I had OLB as our #1 need.....and Im sticking to that.....its glaring......

stop looking at PFF's mud, lol. I dont' care what some stat page says, NONE of our guys are really passing the eye test wth flying colors save perhaps Armonty "for now". None of our guys are ever really in the proper position and you can see it. It might not show in the stats, but these guys are playing lost in the tall weeds.

I'll have to go back and rewatch, since it was my birthday weekend and I was slightly inebriated during the game...but from memory:

Haden is a shell of his former self.

Mingo does not deserve to be on an NFL field.

If not for Tramon Williams, I'd rate our defensive backfield in the bottom 10 of the league.

Our LB corps is incapable of filling or meeting backs at the line.

Our edge presence is negligible at best.

DB's and OLB's seem more content with taking on a block than attempting a tackle.

There were multiple occasions where Oakland would run off tackle and our OLB's would backpedal, ride the block and try to usher the RB toward the sideline rather than attack, hold ground, and force the RB to pick a lane. Same goes for playside DB's.

All around, I'd say our defense played in the 28th- 32nd in the league range.

I'll have to go back and rewatch, since it was my birthday weekend and I was slightly inebriated during the game...but from memory:

Haden is a shell of his former self.

Mingo does not deserve to be on an NFL field.

If not for Tramon Williams, I'd rate our defensive backfield in the bottom 10 of the league.

Our LB corps is incapable of filling or meeting backs at the line.

Our edge presence is negligible at best.

DB's and OLB's seem more content with taking on a block than attempting a tackle.

There were multiple occasions where Oakland would run off tackle and our OLB's would backpedal, ride the block and try to usher the RB toward the sideline rather than attack, hold ground, and force the RB to pick a lane. Same goes for playside DB's.

All around, I'd say our defense played in the 28th- 32nd in the league range.

Dead on the money right about the LB'ers meeting RB's at the line. I think I've seen it like less than 5 times over the last 2 years and half of that was from Robertson.

right on about OLB'ers too, watching Kruger stunt inside and getting washed out of the play as the RB takes the corner....it's just hard to watch anymore. There's no hard identity to this defense. Kruger is not a standup OLB'er, shoehorning him into this defense is horrible as he ends up doing nothing all that good. Also right on Mingo, always gettin run over.

Unfortunately I cannot agree the defensive players don't have skills to do better. being bad. The coaching staff in their infinite wisdom has changed the roles of a couple of players. When you see the leading defensive sack OLB going from only 2 sacks away from an all time Browns record last year to only 1/2 sack this year to date you need to look beyond the players. IF the fans start watching you can see the coaches have definitely changed Kruger's role and I would guess he's not happy about it. Bryant although he has 2 sacks is not a Paul Kruger. This coaching staff can't seem to take the talent they have and get it locked in. You don't see Houston changing the role of their OLB. If that position isn't broke, and I would say it wasn't broke last year then don't try to fix it.

When is the last time you saw a safety blitz from the Browns ? When's the last time you saw some well planned stunts. Coaching Coaching Coaching and Play calling. The coaches haven't got it together.

Look at the call in the second quarter to go for it on 4 down instead of taking the 3 points when your only down 2 scores, your going to get the ball in the 2nd half kickoff and your offense was week all first half. Yea coach go for it !!! Duh ! Thank goodness there was a penalty and we got 3. Not to mention the mental positive of scoring before the half than coming up empty.

When your quarterback is misfiring on all cylinders in the first quarter and shows no signs of improvement pull him and give #2 a try. You do it in every other position why not QB.

THIS IS COACHING AT IT'S WORST UNFORTUNATELY IF COMES TO LIGHT ON THE FIELD. The main objective of the coach is to give his team EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO WIN. Seems Browns coaches have this backward !!!

Archived