THE BROWNS BOARD

Ogbahs leading us in sacks...

Clevfan4life

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It hurts seeing home grown talent right down the road blow up in your face after the team has passed on them.

The Browns certainly have a tendency of doing that.

I mean, think about it. If in the last say 6-8 years if they had just taken the highest rated OSU player available to them in round one they clearly would be a lot better off.:

2016: Bosa, Elliot, Eli Apple all could have been had rather than the trade down for Coleman.

2015: While Shelton is a better pick than any OSU player coming out this year, Devin Smith...while not doing that well....is no worse a pick than Cam Erving

2014: Ryan Shazier would have been a better pick than Justin Gilbert. Bradley Roby a better pick than John P. Manziel

2013: Jonathan Hankins would have been a better pick than Barkevious Mingo

2012: Mike Adams and Devier Posey have not been great....but were better picks than Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden

2011: Cam Heyward would have been a better pick than Phil Taylor

(starting with 2010 and going back it may not have been the case)

Notice that the Pissburgh Steelers DO have a penchant for going after Ohio St. players...Heyward/Adams/Shazier all higher picks.

Did u watch ogbah take that tackle and put him in daltons lap? Naz too has been getting better at holding guys off him. None of em do it like bosa does now but we knew our picks needed development. Im encouraged that i see them getting a lil faster and stronger every week

What I saw was OB getting away with a illegal use of hands driving Ogbi back & neck to Daltons lap :). Our back end sucks so bad right now, my point is get X.Coop,Meder,Shelton,Pena Hands in dirt (4). It looked ok when Naz was out with Balt/Mia/Skins (-30 per game?). Let Kirksey Ogbah & Naz go run down a RB or even better go get there a$$ to a QB (3)..My Bosa boner ended on draft night & when his mother opened her mouth about $$..No Way, he/she wanted to come to Cleveland..

It hurts seeing home grown talent right down the road blow up in your face after the team has passed on them.

Let's not forget the homegrown talent we brought in that blew up in our face.

Quinn, Frye, Robiskie, Craig Powell ...

Zombo

Let's not forget the homegrown talent we brought in that blew up in our face.

Quinn, Frye, Robiskie, Craig Powell ...

Zombo

LeBron (oops, wrong sport),

Groza, Warfield, Motley, Lavelli, Willis (they brought in LeBeau but let him go) Jim Marshall, also let him go.

Dick Shafrath, Jim Houston, Tom DeLeone

Donte Whitner...some. (we could certainly still use him now)

(they tried with Spielman and Pepper Johnson)

Cousineau? not so much.

Don Shula.....John Carroll

Warren Lahr.....Case WR

Josh Cribbs....Kent St.

Vince Costello...Ohio U

John Greco....Toledo

Ernie Kellerman...Miami

Not so bad here with all these.

Bosa is going to be great! Ezekiel Elliot is great! The Browns passed on both! Go back to a 4-3 for crying out loud! Browns defense is an embarrassment to professional sports. Their perfect season is going to be a reality and they better draft a franchise QB!

Get rid of Sashi and Podesta, hire some scouts who actually know talent and put the muzzle on Haslam! Haslam is no Kraft or Jerry Jones that's for sure!

Bosa is going to be great! Ezekiel Elliot is great! The Browns passed on both! Go back to a 4-3 for crying out loud! Browns defense is an embarrassment to professional sports. Their perfect season is going to be a reality and they better draft a franchise QB!

Get rid of Sashi and Podesta, hire some scouts who actually know talent and put the muzzle on Haslam! Haslam is no Kraft or Jerry Jones that's for sure!

There it is, boys. It's all clear now.

There it is, boys. It's all clear now.

Na, Opal still sounds like my Buckeye degree Wife yelling at me about my Fighting Irish degree in Drinking B) Cheers

Ogbah has come on, although he wasn't rated highly in the Titans game. In fact, he got OWNED by their stud OL. Badly. However, his two sacks last week were VERY nice, and his bull rush is getting better. We need our secondary to play better so we can get some "coverage sacks", but that won't happen. I will officially freak out if Ogbah gets two more this weekend.

Ogbah will get some coverage duties at a guess. He's 6'4" and runs a 4.6 40. He's got the physicality to cover tight ends if the play calls for it.

I know that 4.6 40 sounds impressive but its no pads and a steaight line. Covering TE's like gronk, eifert etc, require agility as well. Stopping and going and whatnot. Its not something i wantbthem making ogbah do alot. He should drop in a zone and kill what comes near him like what harrissin did for pgh all those years

He MIGHT get some more coverage duties, but in my humble opinion, he's not suited for it. He seems very "rigid" to me, and not fluid. Doesn't change direction well, doesn't appear to be agile. Straight line speed? Oh yeah. Agility? Eh...

I know that 4.6 40 sounds impressive but its no pads and a steaight line. Covering TE's like gronk, eifert etc, require agility as well. Stopping and going and whatnot. Its not something i wantbthem making ogbah do alot. He should drop in a zone and kill what comes near him like what harrissin did for pgh all those years

Gronk's 3 cone drill was 7.18s, Ogbah 7.26.

Gronk's 20yd shuttle was 4.47. Ogbah 4.50

Gronk's 10/40yd splits were 1.58/4.68. Ogbah's 1.58/4.56

So tell me again how Ogbah lacks the 'agility' to cover a tight end. Of and for fun, Ogbah had 2 inches over gronk in both the vertical and broad. But I'm sure you're right...

Gronk's 3 cone drill was 7.18s, Ogbah 7.26.

Gronk's 20yd shuttle was 4.47. Ogbah 4.50

Gronk's 10/40yd splits were 1.58/4.68. Ogbah's 1.58/4.56

So tell me again how Ogbah lacks the 'agility' to cover a tight end. Of and for fun, Ogbah had 2 inches over gronk in both the vertical and broad. But I'm sure you're right...

My eyes told me he was rigid and lacked a bit of agility. Running tests are a great way to determine a player's aptitude, but they certainly aren't the "be all, end all" measuring stick. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows? I sure HOPE I'm freaking wrong. Here are some excerpts from professional analysts:

"He's stiff and upright so he has no counters as a rusher and then he doesn't even play hard all the time. If you are going to be the hulk, then play hard all the time."

"Shows some stiffness in his hips and is not a dynamic athlete."

"Upon first glance, Ogbah appears unimpressive because he doesn't play with the quickness or athleticism expected of productive pass rushers, but eventually, his translatable qualities avail themselves."

A player's aptitude? Things like the three cone drill directly relate to how quickly a player can change direction, and that's what cleve was saying Ogbah can't do well enough to cover gronk. I'm saying, his change of direction is on par with Gronk's. Perhaps not someone like Sproles, but a tight end should be coverable.

That stuff about his stiffness or whatever, that relates to pass rushing.

A player's aptitude? Things like the three cone drill directly relate to how quickly a player can change direction, and that's what cleve was saying Ogbah can't do well enough to cover gronk. I'm saying, his change of direction is on par with Gronk's. Perhaps not someone like Sproles, but a tight end should be coverable.

Did u watch any of his college tape? Theres nothing there that says he'd be even remotely qualified to run out in coverage. And in his first games he looked stiff and unagile coming off the line. Hey if he's getting stronger and can start powering off the edge thats great, we need that. We have olb'ers like schobert to go run with good TE's.

What of the experiments the past two or so years with making DE's run with TE's and slot receivers to resounding failure, makes you think mabe it'll be different now? Kruger, armonty,sheard, whatever bllodbaths name was.....all those guys failed hard going out into man coverage. Ogbah is mot some super athlete way beyond those guys. Kruger was probably the most athletic of those guys and u see how that worked out.

Those cones don't move in the drill.. Gronk does. And next to Witten, might be one of very best at the stick or jerk move. Ogbah having good times doesn't mean he's a fluid athlete that can change direction well

Speaking of homegrown talent, some trivia. An observation I just had is that I bet there are very few players in the NFL that have played their high school, college, and pro all in the same state.

Many get 2 out of 3 like Kosar...Played high school ball near Youngstown, and the Browns...but went to Miami.

Terrell Pryor...Ohio State and the Browns but played high school ball in Pa.

Big Ben, Jack Lambert, James Harrison...all played high school and college ball in Ohio, but are Steelers.

Right now I could only think of one to have completed the trifecta.... HOF'er Jack Ham. Played high school ball in Johnstown, Pa., Penn State, and the Steelers.

If there is anyone here that can come up with players that meet that trifecta its Gip.

Waddya say Gip?

Yeah I know Charlie Frye but the subject is homegrown "talent"...star players or players that make or have made a difference.

Right now I could only think of one to have completed the trifecta.... HOF'er Jack Ham. Played high school ball in Johnstown, Pa., Penn State, and the Steelers.

If there is anyone here that can come up with players that meet that trifecta

Julius Peppers--Southern Nash HS- Bailey,NC---UNC Tarheels--Played Basketball also at both levels--NFL Carolina Panthers...And your Steelers SucK.....

Speaking of homegrown talent, some trivia. An observation I just had is that I bet there are very few players in the NFL that have played their high school, college, and pro all in the same state.

Many get 2 out of 3 like Kosar...Played high school ball near Youngstown, and the Browns...but went to Miami.

Terrell Pryor...Ohio State and the Browns but played high school ball in Pa.

Big Ben, Jack Lambert, James Harrison...all played high school and college ball in Ohio, but are Steelers.

If there is anyone here that can come up with players that meet that trifecta its Gip.

Waddya say Gip?

Yeah I know Charlie Frye but the subject is homegrown "talent"...star players or players that make or have made a difference.

We've got lots of those guys:

Paul Warfield, Lou Groza, Bill Willis, Dante Lavelli, Dick Schafrath, Tommy James, Jim Houston, Tom DeLeone ...

The first four are HOF, the next four are Browns Legends ...

Zombo

All good replies on Ogbah in Coverage. We left from a O'Neil system with Mingo & Robertson at OLB. To a Horton system now with Kirksey & Schobert at OLB. If the plan was Kirksey gives us what Robbie did? Kirksey has been damn close to some picks & breakups but just not making them yet. I think Kirksey will be by mid-season (like now).Still gotta believe Schobert will outplay Mingo at OLB with more reps. I'd call it a mid-season DRAW at OLB for now. Compared to last season.

Holy hell, why do you keep talking as if the Browns were the lady In line at the grocery store who let the Chargers and Cowboys Go ahead of her because they only had one item.

The Browns were compensated for their willingness to move down and there are still a lot of variables to account for. If Coleman turns into a guy who can produce consistently the way he did against the Ravens, you still gonna bitch? If the Browns use the extra picks you seem to be forgetting to add pro bowl players to the roster, you gonna bitch?

Chris- measurables aren't the be all and end all of predicting how a player will do in the NFL. Plenty of workout warriors have flopped, (Vernon Gholston) and guys who had lousy measurables are in the HOF- I'll give you two. Steve Largent and Ray Lewis (lock) were considered "too slow".

Sure- firing people every year has worked great too.

Archived