THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone Excited About Kessler Yet?

wargograw

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I think ALOT of people say "holding the ball to long" just say it cause it makes em sound smart. Same thing when they say "I don't think Duke Johnson is big enough to be an every day back."

And I would say every qb improves on arm strength thruout the years. Two biggest misconceptions in nfl fan analysis. Arm strength and accuracy can not improve thru hard work

As far as arm strength improving over a career, the two that come most to mind are Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Rodgers had a pretty good arm, but then it just got to an insane level. Brady had a pretty weak arm in college, and now the ball explodes out of his hand on a rope. It's not the gun of Rodgers, but Brady throws with surprising velocity and accuracy. The ball just kind of teleports to his target. There were a couple of times where our team had perfect coverage, yet the ball just "arrived".

Like I said before, you put Kessler on a team like the Broncos, and I don't know how if they lose a game. We can't protect the passer, and we sure as hell can't rush the damn passer. I swear to god, whenever I saw our defense "rush", I saw our players just get absorbed into a mass of Titan players, never to be seen again. It's pathetic. Conversely, you can bet your ass that the Titans were in our face just about every damn play.

How about that touch pass over the head of two Titans that landed right in Ricardo's hands? Can you honestly imagine RG III doing that? Hell no. The thing that hurts Cody the most isn't his lack of arm strength, it's his lack of SPEED. I watched Andrew Luck play last night, and what a weapon QB speed is. We saw it with Mariota too.

But here's the thing that's starting to sink in...Cody is improving every week. Now, we all know that everyone has a bad game eventually, and we can't expect Cody to play better EVERY week, but if he continues to grow during the season, the guy isn't going to be a "bridge QB", he's going to be THE quarterback.

It hasn't happened yet, and it might not happen, but you're a fool if you don't think he has a chance. (btw, I WAS that fool)

Cody's stats are damn near identical to Siemian's, and I doubt no one - well except that 1 pathetic douchebag that's on this forum - would argue that Trevor's surrounding 10 are just a wee bit better than Cody's.

you put Kessler on a team like the Broncos, and I don't know how if they lose a game. We can't protect the passer

Broncos can't protect the passer either.. that's why they've lost the last 2. Broncos QB's have been sacked the 5th most in NFL at 2.8/game; Browns the 3rd most at 3.2/game.

If they re-held the draft, Wentz and Dak would go 1-2 and Cody probably wouldn't make it out of the first round, early second at the latest.

Good Quarterbacks are like gold, and if one looks promising, you roll with him.

McCown should be available to back up this week and hopefully Coleman is back soon.

Offensive line is probably just never going to be any good for the rest of the year, though.

Zombo

I purposely watched a lot of the game from both sides of the ball around Center position.

Shelton definitely still struggles with conditioning trying to be a 3 down DT. on run he was stout but so many times on pass plays Danny looked stuck in the mud after getting off blocks to get to QB..

Big Terd IrV. has just got to be a embarrassment on tape room days. After 1st qtr. got no idea why Greco was not slide to Center.

I focused on Cam early. Early on his waist bend in PassPro was the worst I'd seen to date... begging for him to get ripped. I actually stopped watching after a Qtr as it was too painful. As jiggins points out Bito's injury probably locked Cam in at Center.

Seeing Danny I thought he looked like he'd gained back the weight he'd slimmed off prior to camp.

I think his injury was really bothering him at first because some of his throws were fluttering wildly, and had no mustard. As the game went on, it appeared that his adrenaline kicked in and his arm got stronger.

I WANT MYLES GARRETT. He's the overall consensus top draft choice, and I don't think it's even close. He rushes the passer, stops the run, and has a general disposition towards violence

The Bitonio injury is far more damaging than many first thought, and it was painfully obvious yesterday.

Oh, btw...the Eagles lost again, and I think they are due for a losing streak. That pick that many thought could be in the 20's, might be a bit better.

Really nice observations... couple of particularly strong posts on this page. I'd chalked Kess' improved throws to mere "settling in", but the physical comfort/adrenaline factor is one I'd not considered.

On Garrett... are you seeing him as a 4-3 DE?

Middle of the 1st round seems about right for the Iggles pick... just so long as it is not 22nd I'm cool... ;)

(Kessler) is deadly Accurate...

Sorry... haven't seen this as yet... at least not to the extent I sense you are implying. For every "deadly accurate throw", e.g., the TD to Pryor yesterday or the touch TOR to Louis(?), I can think of one woefully inaccurate throw, e.g., the failed 2-pt try or the under-thown, deep ball to Pryor.

Doesn't mean he can't improve his consistency... just means I don't see him as "deadly" yet.

Drew Brees would be my only possible example of someones arm strength getting better but I could be completely wrong about that.

Not sure about Brees, but google found this: http://www.nbcsports.com/video/saints-qb-drew-brees-gets-laugh-his-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Would love to tell you what it says, but it's not currently loading for me so I'll just stash it here for now.

... the ability to throw the ball harder or farther can be improved. The guy is 6'1", and doesn't have a small frame or arms. It has to be technique.

Totally agree on technique's impact... and when Kess displays it his arm is adequate

fast twitch...

My take as well. Years ago I read an article on testing fast vs. slow twitch musculature of athletes. The differences between sprinters and marathoners was astounding. Seem to remember something about the length of the muscle cells playing a role.

As far as arm strength improving over a career, the two that come most to mind are Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Rodgers had a pretty good arm, but then it just got to an insane level. Brady had a pretty weak arm in college, and now the ball explodes out of his hand on a rope.

I thought of those two as well...

On Rodgers I found this reddit post of an eval by scouts.com:

A simple google revealed this gem from Scouts.com. Although, I'd like to see a comparison of the 49ers report for Rodgers vs. Smith.

(QB) Aaron Rodgers - CALIFORNIA (6'2", 223, 4.71) Strengths: He has outstanding arm strength. Has one of the strongest arms in this year's quarterback class. Shows the ability to make all the necessary throws in the NFL. Has great zip on his deep out route and shows the ability to fit the ball into tight spots. He has terrific fundamentals and mechanics.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1glri6/aaron_rodgers_scouting_report/

Can't find a cited ref on Brady, but there are a couple posted on reddit. They both refer to a lack of arm strength, but both were also disputed. Here's the more authoritative looking one:

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Thoughts: The Positives were spot on. The first part of the negatives (his weight and build) aren't really deniable, but have proven to be non-factors. The second part, hasn't really turned out to be true.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1vdc2q/draft_scouting_reports_of_currentpast_nfl_greats/

One thought I'd add is if Tom strengthened his arm, then he did it in a fairly short period of time... nine months tops. Could have happened, but is not technique refinement as or more likely?

If they re-held the draft, Wentz and Dak would go 1-2 and Cody probably wouldn't make it out of the first round, early second at the latest.

Good Quarterbacks are like gold, and if one looks promising, you roll with him.

McCown should be available to back up this week and hopefully Coleman is back soon.

Offensive line is probably just never going to be any good for the rest of the year, though.

Zombo

^^^^ Agreed. Compared to that preseason disaster, (I admit I seriously dissed Cody, and Hue's sanity after that one) Kessler's improvement is night and day. If Hue said we're rolling with Cody- smart move. This is an evaluation year, and if he trots R(Glass) out there if\when healthy, I think I'm gonna puke.

More and more, Erving is looking like yet another Farmer fiasco. Especially when Reiter looked at least twice as good.

Just wanted to take everyone's temp after another decent performance.

Given the circumstances he's doing quite well. Is he the next Bernie Kosar, well Bernie had almost excellent circumstances to start his career in Cleveland we'll see how Kessler progresses from here.

I didn't want to bring up the dreaded Carson Wentz thread again, so I'll put this here.

Kessler had a favorable statistical day in his loss to the Redskins versus Wentz's loss to the same team.

Kessler 70% comp and 270 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Wentz 50% comp and 179 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

And Kessler threw for more yards, and just as many TDs, yesterday as Wentz has in any of his starts.

I guess the Eagles aren't going to play the Bears and Browns every week ... and coaches film is compiling.

Zombo

I focused on Cam early. Early on his waist bend in PassPro was the worst I'd seen to date... begging for him to get ripped. I actually stopped watching after a Qtr as it was too painful. As jiggins points out Bito's injury probably locked Cam in at Center.

Seeing Danny I thought he looked like he'd gained back the weight he'd slimmed off prior to camp.

Great observations Tour. . .

From DPN

Cameron Erving graded out at a 37.0 (via @PFF) in yesterday's loss. That's impressively bad. The Browns were essentially playing 10 on 11.

From PFF

Browns NT Danny Shelton leads the NFL in run stop percentage at 15.8 percent and has the most run stops (23).

Erving bad? again? Im super surprised that he was bad. I think he's playing at an all-pro level...eventually atleast right? and that a random UDFA we found outplayed him so convincingly was surely a fluke. I'm also surely it's also just coincidence we gave up 12 sacks with him in and 7 sacks with him being out and lets not worry about the preseason or last season and the complete lack of progress he has had as a Center.

Put me down as a slow simmer on Kess. It's not to offend but when Kess can set his feet & step into a throw in rhythm. The Kid is going to be good. Kess's passes in the seam & over a defender is his best ball. Solid In-between the hashes. Out patterns, slants & anything Kess has to anticipate the spot the WR will be, are missing the catch-able target mark away from defender. Hope getting Coleman back will stop some of the looking down 1 WR. But it's all better than we have seen in years. Thanks "Hue gotta trust me on this one" B)

Looking like we still need an early-round C in next year's draft.. I'm finding it hard to believe Erving won't get cut. It would be nice to have even an average C, what with this new QB and all.

i saw promise in his first game looked to the wife and said waana suck my dick while you're sister watch's

well that and damn maybe this could be are guy

Delete your account.

He's so tough he gets back up he stays in the pocket and take what's coming. Every time. I cant think of many worse situations a rookie QB have come into like he has this year, whatever happens long term he deserves immense credit for how he has played and fought so far.

He's so tough he gets back up he stays in the pocket and take what's coming. Every time. I cant think of many worse situations a rookie QB have come into like he has this year, whatever happens long term he deserves immense credit for how he has played and fought so far.

Agreed.

Hue liked the way he played through the adversity of his college career. He certainly can use that upbringing here with the Browns. Hopefully he can survive the season without injury.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/10/21/13358652/mel-kiper-browns-qb-cody-kessler-skyrockets-to-17th-best-rookie-through-six-games

Mel Kiper: Browns QB Cody Kessler skyrockets to 17th best rookie through six games

Friday morning, Mel Kiper posted an article that highlighted the Top 20 rookies through the first six games of the 2016 season. This is the third time he’s done the list this season, and making his debut on it is QB Cody Kessler of the Cleveland Browns.

"17. Cody Kessler, QB, Cleveland Browns
Previously ranked: NR | Final 2016 Big Board rank: 184
Kessler, forced to play because of injuries to Robert Griffin III and Josh McCown, has been better than expected. I thought the undersized (6-1, 215 pounds) signal-caller would be a career backup -- he regressed as a senior at USC, and he doesn't have a big-time arm. But he has been efficient early on, completing 65.6 percent of his passes and throwing just one interception (with four touchdown passes). Now, Kessler's efficiency hasn't led to wins for the 0-6 Browns, but his play is one of the few bright spots so far. I ranked him as my No. 13 QB before the draft."
Heading into the draft, Kiper ranked Kessler as his 184th prospect. For him to rise up the charts as quickly as he has is something no one — well, except maybe Hue Jackson with his “trust me” comments — saw coming.
Absent from the list, and absent from the honorable mentions section, are fellow rookies Corey Coleman and Carl Nassib. Their broken hands probably had something to do with that.
The Cowboys dominated the Top 5 with QB Dak Prescott ranked #1 and RB Ezekiel Elliot ranked #4. The other players in the Top 5 included QB Carson Wentz at #2, OT Jack Conklin at #3, and ILB Jatavis Brown at #5. The Browns had brought Conklin and Brown to Berea for visits prior to the draft, and they’d had some contact with Prescott and Wentz.

Cody's USC stats were pretty good I can see his ceiling (stat-wise) around 3500 yards a year, low to upper-mid 60s for his completion percentage, 22-28TDs and maybe around 10INTs.

Backed by a strong running game of course...

Next year's draft we need to take BPA for OT/G, CB, DL, C, S, ILB, OLB, CB, TE, and BPA until we run out of picks.

Cody's USC stats were pretty good I can see his ceiling (stat-wise) around 3500 yards a year, low to upper-mid 60s for his completion percentage, 22-28TDs and maybe around 10INTs.

Backed by a strong running game of course...

Next year's draft we need to take BPA for OT/G, CB, DL, C, S, ILB, OLB, CB, TE, and BPA until we run out of picks.

Low too upper mid 60's? OK?!

BPA for OT/G, CB before a pass rusher?

Cant say Im excited about Kessler......just dont see him as having the tools needed to be a top QB in this league.....BUT....

I will say he has shown much more improvement than I expected. Early on, his pocket awareness was some of the worst Ive ever seen and, now, has improved.......and the one thing I really like is that he hasn't given up the ball....meaning he makes good choices(a big plus!)....

So....while he wont make many great throws and wont win many on his own.....he also looks like he wont kill you with poor choices or regrettable throws.....a wash?

But, in the end, his arm is not really what it needs to be to make all the throws and I think it will stay that way....

Id say that he has started better than any rookie prospect we've seen since?.... say Derek Anderson or Colt McCoy?.....which is a step in the right direction.....

Archived