THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio Brew Week 2017

Sober Poet

Thirsty? Then don't miss Ohio Brew Week in Athens, July 14-22.

obw_logo_flat.png

Huge number of activities, huge number of beers from all over the state, very solid music. For instance, there are a lot of panel discussions, information sessions, and tap takeovers everywhere. What happens is that after the discussion, the brewery reps come around and offer to buy you pints of their beer. Yeah, it can get fun real fast...last year we had a table full of pints we didn't buy. Had to call a cab... Last Call, the end of the week block concert/party, is awesome...drinking and live music on the main street in town...priceless.

We are friends with the Oestrikes (Art is from Cleveland), who own Jackie O's Brewery. Great folks, great beers, they have events all week at their multiple locations.

My buddy owns the Devil's Kettle Brewery. This guy is the winningest brewer in the history of Brew Week. Beers are very sessionable with about 20 house-made beers on tap. You gotta stop here if in Athens. Specializes in lagers, which is not your every day craft brewery offering, he has a ton of capacity at his place and takes full advantage.

My other buddy co-owns the West End Cider House, where he makes his own ciders and mead. A talented zymurgist (basically means "brewer/distiller"), he currently has some pear, plum and cherry ciders on tap, as well as apple. He also makes his own vodka from grapes (best in the USA, called "Fifth Element"), gin, bourbon, coffee licquer, etc. I helped him install a couple of 500 gallon stainless tanks last year in his distillery, this guy is ridiculously talented. Old-time cocktails (Sazerac, Old-Fashioned, etc.) with 2-ounce pours and modern seasonal creations...delicious.

Little Fish. Ok, we call it "little kids" cuz it is the place people take their children to when they want to drink and let their kids run free-range. I don't have kids so I don't hang out there. Beers are good, lots of people like their styles. Devil's Kettle is the best in Athens btw. Jackie Os second, Little Fish in third.

A new craft beer hall is open as well. The Eclipse Company Store has about 40 beers on tap, good food, and live music and events all week.

Best of all? Bring your bike and you can hit ALL THESE PLACES from the Hockhocking Bike Path. I've done it, great fun, no DUIs.

I know what you are thinking....dude, you call yourself the SOBER Poet? Yeah, I'm workin' on it....

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I admit I am replying to myself to bump this back up to the top of the list. That's marketing baby...

Brew Week starts tomorrow. For some reason there is construction all over town in Athens, which kinda sucks.

I have been through the weekly schedule and there will definitely be a few good times to be had!

Lots of friends in good bands playing all over, history lectures, winery, brewery, distillery tours....

Come and get your drink on!

I used to be a fan of beer festivals but have recently decided they are counterproductive to anyone who really likes beer. Reason being? 1st of all I really see fresh glassware from kiosk 2 kiosk. Usually it's the same dirty 5 outs glass that is warm after you finished your 1st sample. 2nd of all as in the case of ordering multiple flights of beer the palate loses its place, meaning that pretty soon they all taste the same.

Especially after you've had your 1st sample of even a medium bodied IPA. Of

WSS

Steve,

The brewpub in downtown Wadsworth I hear is now serving food. I have not been there yet. Wanted to go sometime, now that they have food.

Also...I hear the one in Barberton is now open. Will have to try it soon since it is just down the street.

I used to be a fan of beer festivals but have recently decided they are counterproductive to anyone who really likes beer. Reason being? 1st of all I really see fresh glassware from kiosk 2 kiosk. Usually it's the same dirty 5 outs glass that is warm after you finished your 1st sample. 2nd of all as in the case of ordering multiple flights of beer the palate loses its place, meaning that pretty soon they all taste the same.

Especially after you've had your 1st sample of even a medium bodied IPA. Of

WSS

I hear you and don't disagree.

Yes, the setup encourages you to stick around a few days and hit the breweries where they are more careful about glassware, beer temps, etc. You can get a solid pour. The last night (Last Call) is pretty much a drunken street party and is as you describe.

I have to admit, my palate hangs in there pretty well on flights of ten or less, yet I see your point.

While I have you; I was looking in some older Barbershop threads and saw where one of your songs was adopted by a TV show fairly recently. Wow! I have to say that is pretty awesome and damned impressive. Gotta be a source of pride for you. Well done!

As my handle implies, I write too, and have never come close to that. Maybe someday...

Steve,

The brewpub in downtown Wadsworth I hear is now serving food. I have not been there yet. Wanted to go sometime, now that they have food.

Also...I hear the one in Barberton is now open. Will have to try it soon since it is just down the street.

I've been to Wadsworth Brewing Company a few times. The beer is above-average the people are very nice. Don't really care about their food as we went to the Galaxy after we went there.

Went to Magic City Brewing last week. Not very good beer at all. It was their opening so maybe they will get their shit together. Maybe not.

WSS

I hear you and don't disagree.

Yes, the setup encourages you to stick around a few days and hit the breweries where they are more careful about glassware, beer temps, etc. You can get a solid pour. The last night (Last Call) is pretty much a drunken street party and is as you describe.

I have to admit, my palate hangs in there pretty well on flights of ten or less, yet I see your point.

While I have you; I was looking in some older Barbershop threads and saw where one of your songs was adopted by a TV show fairly recently. Wow! I have to say that is pretty awesome and damned impressive. Gotta be a source of pride for you. Well done!

As my handle implies, I write too, and have never come close to that. Maybe someday...

The television show was an ABC crime drama called wicked City. The song "she's got your name" was playing on the jukebox when they walked into the bar at about 27 minutes into the 4th episode. Unfortunately the ratings suffered because people thought the show was too violent. It was cancelled but available on Amazon video and Hulu and Netflix I think.

WSS

I've been to Wadsworth Brewing Company a few times. The beer is above-average the people are very nice. Don't really care about their food as we went to the Galaxy after we went there.

Went to Magic City Brewing last week. Not very good beer at all. It was their opening so maybe they will get their shit together. Maybe not.

WSS

Well, I haven't been to either...and while you know I am not big on beer, I would still like to try these local establishments. Let me know when you want to go someday.

Well, I haven't been to either...and while you know I am not big on beer, I would still like to try these local establishments. Let me know when you want to go someday.

I suppose you could drop by sometime if Wally and I went but it's kind of pointless since you don't like that kind of beer anyway.

I don't blame you just it's something that you don't care for. Personally unless it was just for going to different places I wouldn't be intrested in a wine tour. I do like some wine but most local wineries kind of suck.

WSS

Sober I agree you can go for a few beers, maybe 7,8, 9, even 10 without completely losing the palate but in the case of these beer festivals I repeat you're using the same warm dirty glass and probably not cleansing between each sample with water or soda crackers.

Especially if they are all aggressive

ipa

WSS

I suppose you could drop by sometime if Wally and I went but it's kind of pointless since you don't like that kind of beer anyway.

I don't blame you just it's something that you don't care for. Personally unless it was just for going to different places I wouldn't be intrested in a wine tour. I do like some wine but most local wineries kind of suck.

WSS

We could get you and Hoorta together and have a Wine Snob vs. Beer Snob shootout! :lol:

I go for the traveling as well.....but when I travel....depending on whom I am with, I will do stops at wineries and brew pubs. You saw where I have gone to Finger Lakes wineries when I go up to see my son......but you know him......HE studies beer, even took a course in college on it...and contemplated getting a job in that area. When he and I travel we make stops at brew pubs. We have gone to them in Missoula Mont., Morgantown WVa.....in Ithaca and a few others.

I have gone to various wineries as well. Up by Traverse City Mich. on Maui, in Missouri, Calif. and a few other places.

My taste in wine is no more effete than it is in beer. I like a few kinds when I purchase, mostly white wine and mostly Reisling, Gerwurstraminers. Don't care much for Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc.

When Andrew comes home..probably at Christmas., that is when I will definitely have to hit the Wadsworth and Barberton brewpubs...and get you and Bob to come along.

Yeah maybe. I don't know that any American wine outside of California is considered near the top of its class but if you like it you like it.

In recent years American beer as really taken a foothold in the forefront of brewing craft. Like some of the high end American bourbons. Scotch has always had its own pecking order.

WSS

Archived