THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 Ohio Highschool Football Season

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just curious - do you ever watch any games in the smaller divisions? Or is this a view from afar?

I don't go to any really. I see what's on TV sometimes.

What's the point?

Here are the way the schools are broken down, enrollment wise for each division:

Division Enrollment Schools

I 581 and more 72

II 361 to 580 107

III 257 to 360 107

IV 186 to 256 107

V 144 to 185 107

VI 100 to 143 107

VII 99 and less 109

Total Teams 716

I don't think there should be a change in the big schools.....but I think that the lower 6 divisions could be scaled down to at least 4...perhaps even 3, which would put about 150 or 200 schools in each division.

These divisions with 107 schools bring 32 each into the playoffs.

That is 29.9% of the schools in a division that make the playoffs....too many.

Compare:

Div. 1 (FBS) college football allows 3.12% of teams in its playoff. 4 out of 128

Div. 1-AA (FCS) allows 19.2% of teams in its playoffs. 24 out of 125

Div. II allows 16.47% of teams in its playoff. 28 out of 170

Div. III allow 12.9% of its schools in its playoff. 32 out of 247

As far as I am concerned, these Ohio HS division could scale back to a 16 team bracket....which would put 15% in, not 30%. Then you have to accomplish some kind of something to get in. They are literally letting teams in the playoff with a .500 or below record. Again...the idea must be to give as many as possible participation trophies. Or to just make money.

• 2 weeks later...

#1 St. Eds vs #5 Euclid

As I stated on Oct 27th, "My Sleeper pick to make some noise is EUCLID" and I'm going to stick with it. St. Eds isn't firing on all cylinders for some reason and Euclid seems to be peaking. This should be a great match-up.

#2 Stow vs #3 Olentangy

I will concede that you guys were right about Stow being last seasons Hudson. I'll finally give Stow a little credit in ousting Solon. Anyone know anything about Stow's next opponent, Olentangy (11-1)?

I will add though that Stow got about as easy of a trip through the playoffs as anyone would get (Berea-Midpark, Solon, Olentangy). Whereas Hudson last year was awarded playing the #16th seeded team (Perry) after finishing with the #1 seed, but then faced St. Ignatius & Mentor before getting stopped by the eventual State Champion St. Ed's.

Div 1

3 public schools remain.(gipper be damned)

You are the one that is damned. You are the one that smokes the parochial school's rope

St. Edward vs. Stow Region 1

Colerain vs. Wayne Region 2

All but Stow are ranked top 25 nationally.

Ohio has great highschool football and not just in Div 1 lots of great matchups next week.

What is your problem Gipper?

My response was to Stans post recognizing Euclid

I like good highschool football and for 3 yrs running you insert your juice box rhetoric into the thread. nice job again.

I insert mine only in response to yours. Blame yourself.

And FYI, when you list a post here.....you are opening it up for discussion to any and all.

If you want to give Stan a private message, there is a method for that.

sure thing gipper. thanks for the heads up on posting. who do you like in the semis?

have you had a chance to check out any of the d2 thru d7 teams?

Any of the teams your rooting for still alive? There are some alumni of Canton Central C that I work with and are slightly surprised they've made it as far as they have.

Hudson keeps on chugging away with some excellent coaching regardless of the Div. (they dropped to D2)

You mentioned in a previous post the need for less divisions and I agree it could be shrunk down. but only to 5 not 7. A Super 1 division could be an option for the Mega schools.

sure thing gipper. thanks for the heads up on posting. who do you like in the semis?

have you had a chance to check out any of the d2 thru d7 teams?

Any of the teams your rooting for still alive? There are some alumni of Canton Central C that I work with and are slightly surprised they've made it as far as they have.

Hudson keeps on chugging away with some excellent coaching regardless of the Div. (they dropped to D2)

You mentioned in a previous post the need for less divisions and I agree it could be shrunk down. but only to 5 not 7. A Super 1 division could be an option for the Mega schools.

I would most like the Akron/Canton area teams to win: Stow, Hudson, Hoban, Mogadore...or Perry....and CCC. Don't really care much about the other matchups that don't have the local teams in them. Though, I was friends once with the mayor of Coldwater....he passed away.

Five divisions I think would be sufficient.

I guess I'm now satisfied with Mentor taking Ed's into the fourth Quarter only down 10-7 before the wheels came off. Ed's has out-scored their opponents 102-10 since entering that fourth quarter against Mentor.

Great Championship match-up between Huber Heights Wayne Warriors & St. Edwards Eagles ... the two best remain.

Here is Saturday’s state championship game schedule:

10 a.m.: Division VI title game, Kirtland vs. Maria Stein Marion Local.

3 p.m.: Division I title game, St. Edward vs. Huber Heights Wayne.

8 p.m.: Division IV title game, Columbus Bishop Hartley vs. Steubenville.

Here is Thursday’s state championship game schedule:

7:30 p.m.: Division III title game, Archbishop Hoban vs. Toledo Central Catholic.

Here is Friday’s state championship game schedule:

10 a.m.: Division V title game, Canton Central Catholic vs. Coldwater.

3 p.m.: Division VII title game, Mogadore vs. Fort Recovery.

8 p.m.: Division II title game, Massillon Perry vs. Cincinnati La Salle.

Visit the OHSAA website for ticket information at:http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/default.asp

A very good young man that I coached in travel baseball (catcher) for several seasons plays Linebacker for Edison Chargers, whom CCC beat on Friday in the semi's. The kid had over 100 tackles and a couple of sacks for Edison. The had a great season.

I guess I'm now satisfied with Mentor taking Ed's into the fourth Quarter only down 10-7 before the wheels came off. Ed's has out-scored their opponents 102-10 since entering that fourth quarter against Mentor.

Great Championship match-up between Huber Heights Wayne Warriors & St. Edwards Eagles ... the two best remain.

Here is Saturday’s state championship game schedule:

My Preferences (not predictions)

10 a.m.: Division VI title game, Kirtland vs. Maria Stein Marion Local.

3 p.m.: Division I title game, St. Edward vs. Huber Heights Wayne.

8 p.m.: Division IV title game, Columbus Bishop Hartley vs. Steubenville.

Here is Thursday’s state championship game schedule:

7:30 p.m.: Division III title game, Archbishop Hoban vs. Toledo Central Catholic.

Here is Friday’s state championship game schedule:

10 a.m.: Division V title game, Canton Central Catholic vs. Coldwater.....like I said, the friend of mine that was mayor of Coldwater is deceased....so no loyalty there.

3 p.m.: Division VII title game, Mogadore vs. Fort Recovery.

8 p.m.: Division II title game, Massillon Perry vs. Cincinnati La Salle.

Visit the OHSAA website for ticket information at:http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/default.asp

www.nationalhsfootball.com

They use 6 different media ranks. maxpreps, usa today, HSFB100, PrepNation, Freeman Computer and JFAM.

It is a mythical ranking so to speak, but the kids enjoy the attention.

There are a couple local sites that use formulas for predicting scores and margins of victory.

Thanks. Except that link don't work.

Why does Massillon suck these days (or decades)?

First, note: Massillon HS and Massillon Perry are not the same school.

And the reason is simple and complex at the same time: Massillon is actually known as Massillon Washington and is the public school in Massillon. Massillon is a working class town....and the loss of industry over the last 30-40 years hit the city hard....including its school finances. Combine that with loss of population to suburbs (like Perry Twp), losses to parochial schools (like CCC) and it just does not have the resources it once had.

Things are similar in the Akron school district. Once, Akron Garfield HS produced outstanding teams and talents....like Dave Brown, Antoine Winfield, Whitney Mercilus, Chris Beanie Wells, Thomas Lewis, and if you remember him, Charles Gladman.

Now, most of the football talent in Akron seems to end up at either StVStM or Hoban (and.....needless to say...basketball talent: LeBron)