THE BROWNS BOARD

Stupid Irrelevent Penalties!

hish747

While watching last nights game with the Saints (and others), I can't believe how many stupid irrelevant penalties the refs waste time on. Each time a penalty will be clearly denied, or doesn't really effect a play, or even worse when the ref announces "there is no penalty on the play because..." I mean there's Kizer's brilliant long touchdown pass towards the end of the game and the energy is high, the refs stop everything to announce a penalty on the defense which will obviously be declined. Why bother, kill the momentum and slow the game down? With number of legitimate penalties and commercial breaks, the game becomes almost unwatchable. The NFL should really review whether there is any point in calling these stupid penalties at all.

They always in every game tell you that the penalty is declined on a successful play by the other team.

And yes there is a bit of early preseason ummmmm, getting with it by everyone including the referees.

While watching last nights game with the Saints (and others), I can't believe how many stupid irrelevant penalties the refs waste time on. Each time a penalty will be clearly denied, or doesn't really effect a play, or even worse when the ref announces "there is no penalty on the play because..." I mean there's Kizer's brilliant long touchdown pass towards the end of the game and the energy is high, the refs stop everything to announce a penalty on the defense which will obviously be declined. Why bother, kill the momentum and slow the game down? With number of legitimate penalties and commercial breaks, the game becomes almost unwatchable. The NFL should really review whether there is any point in calling these stupid penalties at all.

Yea, a game where the refs decide which penalties are important enough to announce sounds like wicked fun to me. .

Yea, a game where the refs decide which penalties are important enough to announce sounds like wicked fun to me. .

In case you hadn't noticed, refs actually do decide this. A defensive holding on a touchdown scoring play really takes a Ph.D to figure out that it will be declined? When a team declines a penalty...just move on already. Or have it your way pause the game every few minutes or seconds to state the obvious. As if there aren't enough commercial breaks and stoppages already.

In case you hadn't noticed, refs actually do decide this. A defensive holding on a touchdown scoring play really takes a Ph.D to figure out that it will be declined? When a team declines a penalty...just move on already. Or have it your way pause the game every few minutes or seconds to state the obvious. As if there aren't enough commercial breaks and stoppages already.

And if they just picked up the flag and moved on at least 50% of viewers would say "what just happened"? Penalty or what?

Take the extra 20 or 30 seconds and explain it then move on.

12 penalties 74 yards..I get 3 different QB cadence, but watch the damn ball, hold your water but you can't line-up beyond the football..Sorry sideline communication coach, but you can't let Kizer's helmet go onto the field with-out it working after 2 1/2 quarters :wacko:..Using your own timeouts to avoid penalties to line-up right or to allow for endless shifting will draw a flag anyhow at the manCave (it drives me to beer/nutz) Thanks..the Rant was not incomplete..

I don't know if anybody else was paying attention to it but in that series of plays that was offsides on Cleveland- their fucking Center kept moving the ball forward and after he reset the ball forward nearly every player on the browns line was over the football. I don't know why that wasn't addressed.

I would bet that you voted for Obama, and then Hillary?

Providing enthusiasm, momentum and energy is not a part of a referee's job. His job is to call a penalty if he sees it. Like Chavez sending phony Bernard Hopkins into LaLa land. It wasn't the refs job to determine if Hopkins could have made it to the bell. His job was to determine if at that very moment Hopkins was in condition to defend himself.

Quit bitching about the refs.

On the TD bomb at the end of the game, the ref threw the flag for roughing the QB.

He can't wait to see if the pass is completed or not to decide to throw the flag.

And what if he doesn't throw the flag...but another ref throws a flag for an infraction on us? The two penalties would offset if BOTH refs would've thrown the flag.

As mjp28 said, they HAVE to throw the flag and then sort things out after.

(apparently the country has a HUGE bag of deplorables)

I hated all the penalties too, BUT will say that this is one thing that can happen in game one.....new guys, new system, trying too hard, working on timing, etc etc etc......PLUS, it's the preseason for Refs too....(and it looked like it)(lots of bad calls and no calls)....

At least this is something that is fixable.....Hue?....you hear that?

Lost in the discussion, it's a personal foul, roughing the passer, 15 yrds enforced on the kick off. No opportunity to decline a personal foul.

Archived