THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp News

gumby73

... the coach said that the message has gotten through to him...

If we know nothing else about Williams from his Hard Knocks footage, it's that he "communicates" very clearly.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we know nothing else about Williams from his Hard Knocks footage, it's that he "communicates" very clearly.

I like his tough guy persona....and I LOVE people who say it like it is.....no matter what....and Williams seems to be that guy....

I honestly know very little about his scheme or how players respond to him, as my only knowledge of him prior to coming here was bounty gate.....

I wonder....... if Williams said "this guy isnt very good".....would he be whining?....

Based upon years and years of managing people.....I do know that there is no leadership technique that works for everyone.....so, Id guess that some will respond well to Williams pushing them, while others wont.....many people fail because they are under too much pressure to perform, so turning up the heat doesnt always work.......But, in the end, it's always been my opinion that coaches rarely make great players outta average ones......and changing schemes rarely turns around a team....99% of the time, good teams are good because they have good players.....

Based upon years and years of managing people.....I do know that there is no leadership technique that works for everyone.....so, Id guess that some will respond well to Williams pushing them, while others wont.....many people fail because they are under too much pressure to perform, so turning up the heat doesnt always work.......But, in the end, it's always been my opinion that coaches rarely make great players outta average ones......and changing schemes rarely turns around a team....99% of the time, good teams are good because they have good players.....

Bingo...

There are other "things" I remember about Gregg from Hard Knocks...

• He tells players that he is going to be a blunt, demanding hard-ass... and then he is... but...
  • He also praises as well as damns... I believe it was Ogletree that he was repeatedly, near incessantly telling how good he could be.

It's that second bit, the praise and expressions of confidence, that pick up where the ass-chewing leaves off that makes hard-ass coaches beloved... makes players want to run thru walls for the coach.

Gregg strikes me as astute enough to see when that swap is needed... where the continued "beating up" of a player with potential will only "beat them down" and they need to be lifted up. So long as he takes the pulse of his players collectively, and individually, they'll respond to him. So long as at that key moment he can find something to praise, an old management maxim I learned, there won't be a wall safe from being run thru by our D... and likely a few on the O-side as well.

Gotta say I really like what I see from him......From an early standpoint, he's probably my favorite coach hire in a long long time....

Something electric about him.....and, unlike our other coaches, I buy into what he says and have a tendency to believe what he says....

I imagine he is a good counter point(good guy bad guy) to Hue....who's more of a nurturer....

And, if you're gonna be a hard driving bad ass.....defense is where it belongs.......In the words of the great Lawrence Taylor....

Anybody else reserve their training camp tickets yet?

Yep. I have 5 each for....

Saturday 7/29

Wednesday 8/2

Friday 8/4 (Orange & Brown Scrimmage)

Tuesday 8/8

Really excited to see 'em early, mid, & late TC.

Mike

29th, 30th, scrimmage, 5th and the 13th 5 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody read or heard locally if D'browns are having a dual practice against another team at camp? Bears have opt'd out of them..Bills/Colts & Lions are booked already..Saints come to town 8-10(open practice Aug-7&8th)..NYG's in town 8-21(a closed practice 8-19)?

More good news!

At this point, just not sweating the whole Garrett injury concern.....I fully expect him to show up and play......w/o a limp

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1 in the books..Play of the day? A Kessler pump & go 40 yrds. to Britt over Haden. 3 down with cramps/Hue Britt,Vitale & WR from Bengals James Wright. All given IV's Hue says good to go.(imo watch Vitale? carted off, left leg knee or ankle.other 2 walked off).Myles back 2 back sacks. No JT match-up yet. Hue praises FO "we took the right player & person with 1st pick". Per Hue Corey Coleman with a impressive start fiting in the offense as a leader getting guys lined up. Cleveland.com gives live updates during all practise days if interested.Browns site loaded with videos. Enjoy!! https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/7/27/16050376/cleveland-browns-camp-recap-day-1-myles-garrett-shows-off-qb-competition-begins 50M cap space..We got Bleachers Boys..It is Christmas ;)

Day 2.Book it. Managed Day Off--Haden,JT,Des,Greco,Britt(side work),Reiter,McCourty,Bitonio & from heat cramps yesterday Kindred was out. Back in today was Vitale & James Wright. Good sign for my Wolfpacker Matthew Dayes? George Atkinson was put on waivers & a camp body from S.Carolina was brought in Brandon Wilds. Word of the day? Windy..Kessler & Kizer got work with ones, Osweilder the two's. First pick of the season? Osweilder passed was tipped by DL Trevon Coley, on the dive Dominique Alexander got the pick. Njoku has had a tough start to camp. Today Hue at presser responded "Yea, he needs to hang on to the freakin' ball AND He Will"..Njoku was striped twice by CB's putting ball on ground. Njoku was seen on sideline after practice catching & tucking on throwing machine balls. No Injuries to report(yes) but Hue ended practice soon after a skirmish between Shon Coleman & Schult with a punch thrown but broken up quickly..At Hue's presser it was announced that Siren & Pads will come on starting tomorrow thru weekends practice and "Were excited cause everybody will be a go". TopDawg31 looks like you picked the perfect pad weekend..The Show is all yours for your Eyes on Reporting..Have some fun & look forward to the fan's eye report..Woof! https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/7/28/16059940/cleveland-browns-training-camp-recap-day-2-njoku-getting-stripped-and-high-winds-in berea

Can't wait, almost feel like tailgating before we go in. That'll be coming soon, tailgate practice begins Aug 10.

"Yea, he needs to hang on to the freakin' ball AND He Will"..Njoku was striped twice by CB's putting ball on ground.

Well, at least they're aware of it early and can work on it.

Sanders will be working with him...

And if I'm Hue, I tell the DB's to keep trying to strip it from him.

Well, at least they're aware of it early and can work on it.

Sanders will be working with him...

And if I'm Hue, I tell the DB's to keep trying to strip it from him.

Agree. Some of his game tape showed in TE words "a chicken wing" in open field than would tuck it away in traffic. Not in this league.TE coach Seaman will have him freakin sleeping with it..The kid is 20, running around with some bulldozers with no pads on. Tomorrows a new day

Alright....so I hit camp yesterday and really enjoyed it(as I do every time I go).....came away with a better feeling for this team(as I do every time I go).....nothing deeply insightful happened....but I did get some initial(positive) vibes and a better sense for some of our new guys.....

We had a good looking group that, to me, feels like a pro team.....lots of real specimens out there.....a few eye openers....

Ill avoid any negatives(not that I saw many) and focus on the good (and surprising) schtuff...

1) Myles Garret is freaking huge.....definitely looks like a monster out there(cliche....but true)....excited to watch him play

2) Njoku is huge too.......had a bumpy day, but no worries.....overall, looks the part....

3) Kenny Britt is huge too....didnt realize how big this guy is......

4) Brock Asspiler is one tall dude....and to me.....looked the best of the group......

Ok....so much for the big guy talk....

Saw Hue get pretty fired up a couple times.....got pissed and screamed " throw the fucking ball, throw it !!!" at Asspiler......loved that!!!.....nice to see Hue show some genuine fire over rah rah.......

Dominque Alexander (one of my darkhorse favorites from last preseason) looked good too.....Im guessing we'll probably see more of him this year....

The D looks pretty aggressive....hands and holding everywhere....so, liked the vibe, but a little worried that over aggressive means lotsa penalties......there is a fine line....

Overall....doesnt look or feel like a team coming off 1-15....I see more blue chips than Ive seen in a while......

Im planning to go again on Monday....so, will hopefully have some more insightful comments then....

Hue ended practice soon after a skirmish between Shon Coleman & Schult with a punch thrown but broken up quickly.

Shon's got a lil nasty in him... sweet...

4) Brock Asspiler is one tall dude....and to me.....looked the best of the group......

Watched NFL Films, Texans' 2016 recap a couple days ago. There were times when Brock's drop looked smooth, and other times when it was slow and awkward. Very striking and, in a very limited sample size, very determinative of his results.

Canton Repository's beat writer Steve Doerschuk tweeted. . .

Hidden bonus in practice today. Big wind. Chance to evaluate QB arms. Osweiler adjusted. Kizer's ball cut right through it from start.

Canton Repository's beat writer Steve Doerschuk tweeted. . .

Hidden bonus in practice today. Big wind. Chance to evaluate QB arms. Osweiler adjusted. Kizer's ball cut right through it from start.

Dawgsbynature.com has some camp viedos. The one with that twitter quote was some on point sideline throws. From all accounts, Kizer looks pretty good, we shall see.

First our TE can't hold on to the Ball, now he can't catch it - had the dropsies today :unsure:

Our new Killer D got gashed today, giving up chunks of yardage and a Score or two(?) . . .

A persistent problem, or are the upgrades to the OL that good?

Did 3 Players get hurt today (RB, S, & OL) ?

Dang early to start thinning out to injuries already if that is truly the case.

From what I've read, Kizer is looking pretty good mechanically and Arm strength wise.

Also sounded like Kizer and Hogan were the best looking QB's today . . .

So, Schult (fight) and Kai (INT) were out with the the ones today?

Interesting, these are two UDFA's I mentioned post Draft when all the UDFA signings were going on.

Schult looked to good passion and drive, not sure if he's got the bulk yet . . .

Kai Nacua is a bit of a Ball Hawk . . . kid just seems to have a knack for being around the Ball when it comes out and coming up with it.

Haslam spoke today the for the first time in quite some time.

Sounded more patient than in the past . . . we'll see

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/22580/jimmy-haslams-optimism-for-future-still-depends-on-the-one-key-position

The more I hear out of Indy the more I think we move a QB . . . Luck doesn't seem to be recovering quickly from the Shoulder Surgery he had Off-Season.

Hey, it's day 3 of Training Camp - long way to go.

Archived