THE BROWNS BOARD

Pick the bust in the 2017 draft

One Post

Of course this is difficult to predict. Lets look at 3 years ago. There are 4 certifiable draft busts from the 2014 class:

Justin Gilbert DB Browns

John P. Manziel QB Browns

Darquez Denard DB Bengals

Marcus Smith LB Eagles.

Other than the fact that the first two faced the "Browns jinx", who could tell about who would bust or not from that draft?

None of the Top 3 have lived up to their draft status:

Clowney

Greg Robinson OT

Bortles.

Not certifiable busts, but underachievers.

Other than the fact that the first two faced the "Browns jinx", who could tell about who would bust or not from that draft?

None of the Top 3 have lived up to their draft status:

Clowney

Greg Robinson OT

Bortles.

Not certifiable busts, but underachievers.

Wasn't Clowney also touted as a beast? The first pick of the draft. No team could go wrong picking Clowney?

Clowney at 6'5" and 270 and Garrett at 6'4", 272 have nearly the same physique...not that it proves anything.

Wasn't Clowney also touted as a beast? The first pick of the draft. No team could go wrong picking Clowney?Clowney at 6'5" and 270 and Garrett at 6'4", 272 have nearly the same physique...not that it proves anything.

Along with Mo Williams. Maybe a solid pick but not near a #1.

Wasn't Clowney also touted as a beast? The first pick of the draft. No team could go wrong picking Clowney?

Clowney at 6'5" and 270 and Garrett at 6'4", 272 have nearly the same physique...not that it proves anything.

Once recovered from injuries, Clowney did just fine this year even without JJ.

My pick is Barnett as a bust.Overrated.

Buckeye Malik Hooker even if there are no medical issues might have trouble living up to first round hype. Might improve in years to come.

Mr. Irrelevant? But then again he's only spot from the first UFA.

It really is about the team. No individual player can really do it all by themselves. We live and die as a team.

Garrett won't be a bust. The guy was the #2 ranked recruit coming out of high school. He broke Jadaveon Clowney's NCAA freshman sack record. He was an All-American as a sophomore. He had a high ankle sprain his junior year that impacted his mobility and should have kept him off the field, but he made All-American again anyway. The guy is a stud and Browns fans should be painting the walls white over their excitement to draft him.

Bust of the first round: Mahomes (Ryan Leaf II)

Garrett won't be a bust. The guy was the #2 ranked recruit coming out of high school. He broke Jadaveon Clowney's NCAA freshman sack record. He was an All-American as a sophomore. He had a high ankle sprain his junior year that impacted his mobility and should have kept him off the field, but he made All-American again anyway. The guy is a stud and Browns fans should be painting the walls white over their excitement to draft him.

But Clowney was the #1 out of high school.

During his high school career, Clowney was often regarded as the best player in his class. ESPN described him as "a special talent who could have vied for the top spot in several previous classes."[11] Both major recruiting services, Rivals.com and Scout.com, as well as ESPNU, considered Clowney not only a five-star recruit, but also the No. 1 overall prospect of the 2011 class, basically throughout his senior year.

A unanimous College All-American as a sophomore in 2012, Clowney set South Carolina school records in quarterback sacks (13.0) and tackles for a loss (23.5) per season while also earning Defensive Player of the Year honors in the Southeastern Conference. Described by ESPN as "one of those rare game-changers on defense," Clowney was drafted first overall by the Texans in the 2014.

It's the same rhetoric, different player.

That settles it....my choice to bust, Myles Garrett

No, just kidding. Don't follow college ball and it's players enough to make an educated guess.

Myles Garret may indeed be a bust, five years after he retires... as a bust in the HOF.

To me...Clowneys issue isnt his physical talent....it's his mind....

My take was always that he wasnt driven to be great and/or he wasnt really that into football....

You have to really want it.....Garrett seems to....Clowney never did....

To me...Clowneys issue isnt his physical talent....it's his mind....

My take was always that he wasnt driven to be great and/or he wasnt really that into football....

You have to really want it.....Garrett seems to....Clowney never did....

But I think JJ has been a great influence on Clowney which is partially why he had a far better 2016, the other part being injuries the first 2 years. He'll be even better when Watt returns, just like I think Ogbah is gonna shine when O's take more notice of Garrett on the other end. Thomas is gonna make a real all-pro player out of Garrett within a couple of years. I think he is salivating over a chance to teach the rook a thing or two about how to beat great LT's. And Garrett is a more than willing student. It will be fun comparing the beginning games to the end ones this year to see how he progresses. I enjoyed watching Ogbah get better from beginning to end last year and can hardly wait to see him this year with more defensive help from day one.

And I do give Clowney credit for overcoming those injuries.....Im sure it took a lot of effort and work to get back.....and really didnt think he had it in him to do that.....the next few chapters in his book should be interesting.....

My pick is Barnett as a bust.Overrated.

Of all the ones mentioned so far, I get the strongest feeling on this one as well.

My new contribution.... Cam Robinson... at least at OT. He may have a shot at being a decent OG, but I don't see a chance at OT.

Honorable mention: Fournette. I watch him and I see (no offense, Ag) Derrick Henry... good burst and straight ahead speed and power, but no lateral movement.

Exactly. Clowney more touted. Now, it seems perhaps that he is finalyl rounding into a productive player, but he has certainly underachieved to this point. Yes, injury is a fact....but a lot of player end up classified as busts due to injury. They are still busts.

My biggest concern about Garrett is that he earned much of his reputation by blowing away inferior competition. Like 75% of his sacks were against "mid-major" or D1-AA schools. When he had to go up against the talent of the SEC, he performed at a more mediocre level.

There won't be any Prairie Views in the NFL.

So, as great as everyone sees his potential, I am still skeptical for the above reason.

I am not guaranteeing he will be a bust (like Ghoolie is), like I said though, I am not slobbering over him like some of all y'all.

Given the Browns poor first round drafting history....I am skeptical of every one (yes, even MT..even though I may think he is our best chance of getting a franchise QB)

Of all the ones mentioned so far, I get the strongest feeling on this one as well.

My new contribution.... Cam Robinson... at least at OT. He may have a shot at being a decent OG, but I don't see a chance at OT.

Honorable mention: Fournette. I watch him and I see (no offense, Ag) Derrick Henry... good burst and straight ahead speed and power, but no lateral movement.

I think I do agree with this.

I think I do agree with this.

It's the easy one that I agree with also.Almost any of them..OL men at next level have not seen the crazed Bobby Bu-shay right across from them..till now

I can't remember when I've heard such uncertainty from all the paid prognosticators about all of the potential top 3 or 4 round QB picks as in this year, almost makes everyone want to take a pass and go with best available unless you get some great deals from other teams to take a flyer on one.

Sad thing is there are plenty of QB needs out there. Can't wait for Thursday to see how were we all wrong! (Wish it was still Saturday/Sunday on ESPN.)

Wonder which QBs will break out in 2017-2018? Watch the BROWNS win a few too many games to grab one. :lol:

Archived