THE BROWNS BOARD

Defense NEW Nickname (by acclaimation): The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Pain! :)

Tour2ma

Browns DL Nickname  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Best nickname for the Browns' Defensive Line...

• The Orange and Brown Wall of Pain
    • The Ogres
    • Deinonychus Dawgs
    • The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Pain
    • GOONS
    • The Four Horsemen
    • The WatchDawgs
    • Earthquake on the Lake

Kinda underwhelming... as most polls seem to be round these parts. Anyway here are the final results...

1. The Orange and Brown Wall of Pain (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

2. The Ogres (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

3. Deinonychus Dawgs (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

4. bullet_star_rated.png The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Pain (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

5. GOONS (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

6. The Four Horsemen (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

7. The WatchDawgs (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Earthquake on the Lake (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Was it seconded?

tour if you ever get those names (w/o ? marks) they'll be on the back of this year's shirts. no trademark necessary. :ph34r: :ph34r:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picture should be clearer by the end of mini-camp...

Russian interference

Nyet...

So our 31st ranked defense is getting a nickname..

Don't they give nicknames to defenses that are good? Legion of Boom for example..

Call them what you want, but until they show me they can be a top 10 defense, I will call them "The Ballerinas" because there wasn't a whole lot of good defense being played last season...

Notwithstanding, they WILL be the GOONS or the Ogres.

I like Rock n Roll Wall of Pain though...and could live with it. Though...wasn't there a "House of Pain"? Who was that?

You should know that! The Houston Oilers!

"The Rock n Roll Hall of Pain" is too long.

Cut it down to " The Hall of Pain" is and you have the perfect nickname...not even mentioned among the 20 or so already listed.

Cleveland and NE Ohio has both The Rock and NFL HOF's, so it works.

The Steel Curtain

The Fearsome Foursome

The Hall of Pain

Yep, it works.

You got a name, now earn it.

Technically "House of Pain" was the nickname of the old Astrodome... not the team or either unit.

Length... schmength... the play of of "The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame" is what made it the choice of the masses...

And it's only one syllable longer than a certain piece of piss-yellow linen...

You should know that! The Houston Oilers!

"The Rock n Roll Hall of Pain" is too long.

Cut it down to " The Hall of Pain" is and you have the perfect nickname...not even mentioned among the 20 or so already listed.

Cleveland and NE Ohio has both The Rock and NFL HOF's, so it works.

The Steel Curtain

The Fearsome Foursome

The Hall of Pain

Yep, it works.

You got a name, now earn it.

Right. It was Houston.

And Hall of Pain is too close to House of Pain. Seems derivative. Rock n Roll Wall of Pain less so.

Don't like it.

They are already the Dawgs. There is no song called "who let the

rock and roll hall of pain...out".

nah.

Don't like it.

They are already the Dawgs. There is no song called "who let the

rock and roll hall of pain...out".

nah.

Yeah!...Don't make me change my phone ringtone.

Mike

Nah just can't get with that, we are and shall always be the Dawgs and Dawgpound

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!

Mike

well they refreshed the uni in an attempt to build morale, why not a new slogan?

dawgs won us how many Super Bowls?

that and the stupid guy with a mask on his face and people throwing milkbones in the endzones is tire already.

well they refreshed the uni in an attempt to build morale, why not a new slogan?

dawgs won us how many Super Bowls?

I believe the answer is zero... but from Dixon sprang the first Defensive team identity I can recall. Not that units since have earned the right to be called The Dawgs... and then there's the dilution of The Pound... but maybe soon...

There's no need to make a choice...

Nah just can't get with that, we are and shall always be the Dawgs and Dawgpound

Then why has not every Rams defense been known as the Fearsome Foursome?

Why has not every Viking defense been known as The Purple People Eaters?

Why has not every Steeler defense been known as The Steel Curtain?

Because these names were specific to that group of players that played at that time.

The Dawgs....as far as I am concerned, is specific to Hanford Dixon, Frank Minnifield, Felix Wright and friends...and should have been retired with them.

Riverfront Stadium is still known as the Jungle, Outsiders might think of banishment, attend every Sunday and you won't find anybody inside complaining about the name, just the product and "The Product" is about to change. 50,000 still bark at every big defensive play.

I enjoyed seeing all the clever ideas people had. Not that I should I ever be the one to give this type of advice; but, if they're too long - they're never going to get further than this message board.

Yep. I'm just stickin' with "DAWGS"...Just one word/syllable & I'm too damned old to learn another. ;)

Mike

The Cleveland Deadliest Catch

..on the lake...

make no mistake

...their game we will break...

nah. too long.

The Cleveland Deadliest Catch

..on the lake...

make no mistake

...their game we will break...

That may not win the nickname contest for our Defense but it could kick off an Eminemsies contest at least unofficially.

Vanilla Ice Jr (Ryan Mallett) is probably looking for work as a consultant. If memory serves me right, he liked to start a lot of his sentences with "Yo." He might be able to help you finish that rap song better than he helped the Houston Texans finish their 2015 season.

Then why has not every Rams defense been known as the Fearsome Foursome?

Why has not every Viking defense been known as The Purple People Eaters?

Why has not every Steeler defense been known as The Steel Curtain?

Because these names were specific to that group of players that played at that time

You left out an important fact, NONE of those defenses were ranked 31st in the league. You have to EARN a nickname, not dream up one. That's not how it works.

You left out an important fact, NONE of those defenses were ranked 31st in the league. You have to EARN a nickname, not dream up one. That's not how it works.

I didn't forget that at all. I mentioned that up front, both here and on the original thread. We were just having fun with possibilities.

My further point is that THIS 31st ranked defense...and all the defenses of the Browns of the last 25 years., as you say have NOT earned the DAWGS nickname either.

That nickname was earned by Dixon, Minnifield, Wright, Banks, Mattews, Hairston, Eddie Johnson....etc. etc. etc.

Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, Kam Wimbley..or anyone playing today etc. etc. etc. etc.....NONE of them earned the DAWG defense nickname...yet the Browns marketing department can't let go of that marketing device.

• 1 month later...

Archived