THE BROWNS BOARD

☆ 2016 WORLD SERIES ☆ Chicago Cubs vs CLEVELAND INDIANS ☆

mjp28

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe. A teams ace pitcher that can't hold a runner or make a throw to first. Their ace? Wow, I thought he stunk. Bring em on!

I know right? had Lindor for an easy pick off but watched him get back safely ?? I only saw one pitch 1st inning (low) by Kluber for a called strike -

plate ump got wrong - otherwise from then on he called em fair and square, and Kluber records 8 ks through 3!!

Honest, take the rose colored glasses off question for the day:

Did you think the strike zone was more liberal for Kluber? What I was explaining to a friend is that Kluber's pitch is a lot harder to call a strike because of the incredible motion. It's much easier for the pitch to "look" like a ball even on the strike/ball camera because of how late it moves in the zone. Lester on the other hand is a lot more defined.

That being said, I think it was mostly fair buuut maybe Kluber got 2-3 pitches that Lester didn't get it if I'm being honest with myself. Ump had a weird strike zone all game though and it so happened Kluber was all over it (left side corner).

Did you think the strike zone was more liberal for Kluber? What I was explaining to a friend is that Kluber's pitch is a lot harder to call a strike because of the incredible motion. It's much easier for the pitch to "look" like a ball even on the strike/ball camera because of how late it moves in the zone. Lester on the other hand is a lot more defined.

That being said, I think it was mostly fair buuut maybe Kluber got 2-3 pitches that Lester didn't get it if I'm being honest with myself. Ump had a weird strike zone all game though and it so happened Kluber was all over it (left side corner).

This was discussed this morning on Mike and Mike. Someone did some analytics on it....and the conclusion was that NO, Kluber was not given any advantages by the ump with the strike zone. It may just have appeared that way for reasons you state....his movement on his ball.

14705896_10104778383563064_2225940034417

God you must be a miserable person DieHard, it's really sad to see and that isn't a joke.

This was discussed this morning on Mike and Mike. Someone did some analytics on it....and the conclusion was that NO, Kluber was not given any advantages by the ump with the strike zone. It may just have appeared that way for reasons you state....his movement on his ball.

Yeah, I was listening to them this morning actually about this which is why I figured I'd ask. My come-around point on that though is I worry the zone will be tighter tonight for the Tribe, but we'll see.

CLEVELAND -- With a combined World Series championship drought of 176 years still going and a combined pennant drought just ended at 89 years, the Indians and Cubs aren't exactly accustomed to having time sped up on them. But that's just what has happened for Game 2 of this Fall Classic.

Because of the threat of inclement weather at Progressive Field, Major League Baseball moved tonight's tilt up one hour, to 7 ET. So that's one less hour for the Indians to relish their 6-0 victory in Game 1 and one less hour for the Cubs to dwell on their defeat, which, for them, is probably a good thing.

• Game 2: Tonight, 7 ET game time on FOX (6 ET pregame show on FS1)

For those with especially short memories, it's worth pointing out that the Cubs were in a 2-1 bind in the best-of-seven National League Championship Series against the Dodgers and recovered just fine. So while getting suppressed at the plate by Tribe ace Corey Kluber and American League Championship Series MVP Andrew Miller wasn't an encouraging way to begin their first World Series in 71 years, the Cubs, who will send Jake Arrieta to the mound in Game 2, weren't about to cue up the once-annual vow of "Wait 'til next year!"

"I have no concerns," manager Joe Maddon said after Tuesday night's loss. "I thought we were ready to play. Our guys looked really good. They were great in the dugout today. It's the first game. I'm fine. We're fine."

The Indians, meanwhile, are hoping Trevor Bauer's finger, which was sliced in a drone repair accident on the eve of the ALCS, is fine.

It certainly wasn't fine in his lone LCS outing. In Game 3, Bauer recorded just two outs before a flap on his right pinkie, which had received 10 stitches after the mishap, opened and the blood gushed forth. Umpires had to halt the game, and Cleveland had to send Bauer to the showers and empty the 'pen.

The Indians won that game anyway, and they can feel some measure of comfort in knowing that if Bauer has another mishap on the mound, Thursday's off-day would give them the ability to ride that bullpen for all its worth once again. But Miller, their relief ace, did throw 46 pitches in Game 1, so they'll have to be careful with that particular weapon.

"Obviously we'll watch him play catch and things like that," pitching coach Mickey Callaway said. "I have a feeling he's going to tell us he's good to go. We'll have to be smart about how we use him, probably. But you don't rule anything out in the postseason. This is what guys do. You've seen it with [Madison] Bumgarner or [Clayton] Kershaw. I suspect he'll be available if we need him."

The past 14 times a team has won Game 1 at home, it has gone on to win the World Series. But past results obviously aren't indicative of future outcomes, and the Tribe knows it.

While Bauer's finger will be a point of emphasis, the Cubs are still trying to put their finger on why Arrieta hasn't been as dominant in 2016 as he was in '15. There was hope that Arrieta's occasional command woes from the regular season wouldn't be an issue in October. But he is responsible for six earned runs in 11 innings over two starts in this postseason, and a mistake he made to Yasmani Grandal in Game 3 of the NLCS gave way to the home run that broke that game open and put Chicago in that aforementioned 2-1 hole.

Arrieta expects to be better in Game 2 of this Series, because he relishes this opportunity.

"We worked extremely hard to get to this point," he said, "and now we're in a spot where we want to enjoy it as much as we can. We've worked extremely hard, and now it's time to go out there, have some fun and try to win four ballgames."

Getting to four is a heck of a lot easier if you don't go down 0-2. Only 13 of the 79 teams that lost the first two games of a best-of-seven World Series have come back to win it, so that sheds a little historical light on how important this game is for the Cubbies before their return to Wrigley for Games 3-5.

"Very important," Kris Bryant said. "We want to win every game, so just because we lost [Game 1] doesn't mean we're going to go out and try any harder. It would be nice to go home with the Series evened up."

10/26 7:05 PM - WORLD SERIES - GAME 2 - from CLEVELAND, OHIO

953 Chi. Cubs open -110 now consensus -150

954 Cleveland open -105 now consensus +140 the Indians are the underdogs again in GAME 2

Total runs - 6½ now 7

Pitchers: (CHC) Jake Arrieta ® (CLE) Trevor Bauer ®

Time-change to 07:05pm EDT | TV: FOX

AND AFTER WINNING GAME 1 THE INDIANS ARE EVEN MONEY NOW TO WIN THE 2016 WORLD SERIES.....IF THEY WIN TONIGHT? ? :o

ODDS TO WIN 2016 WORLD SERIES (10/31/16) (vegasinsider.com)

Team Odds

Chicago Cubs 5/6

Cleveland Indians 1/1

Too bad "Indian" summer didn't hang around another week...

Nice win with opportunism, anxiety and a couple more October surprises from Perez. The kid calls a great game.

I love that Allen only showed his curve once early in the 9th and then pumped heat the rest of the way. Not so fond of the plan the Cubs seemed to have for Miller.

The two Cubs that scare me at the plate were Schwarber and Baez. Both seemed to have that same "calm" that Lindor shows at the plate.

Lester's issue was the Ump not calling his outside corner to righties the same way he was calling that same corner when Kluber was pitching inside to lefties. Something Umps never do since they always set up behind the inside corner. This should not be news to Lester.

What I object to is that after Lester throws a hissy and talks to the ump, he starts getting calls including one "beauty" that was at least three inches outside to Chisenhall(?).

You want the close calls Lester? Show the Ump the same control Kluber did. What also helps is not screaming at the Ump from the mound...

God you must be a miserable person DieHard, it's really sad to see and that isn't a joke.

Yeah, I was listening to them this morning actually about this which is why I figured I'd ask. My come-around point on that though is I worry the zone will be tighter tonight for the Tribe, but we'll see.

I'm miserable when I read your progressive, left wing shit posts.

In a nutshell this is it to me. Kluber kept painting the same corner over and over. Lester...? Not so much.

We may have just seen Kluber pitch the short game of his life. If they didn't need him in Game 4 and maybe 7 he could have tried for the CG SO. AWESOME!

Well arrietta has a no hitter going

Yeah a bloop and a blast from a tie game, only the 4th....5th coming up. Napoli?

Man I just fundamentally disagree with tito tonight on pitching decisions. Left bauer and mccalister out there too long and directly cost us 2 runs.

I won't second guess Francona he's been nearly flawless this entire year.

99 times out of 100 you are right but this time even he is gonna admit he goofed it.

I guess another thing I dont understand is how McCallister is a better option than salazar in the first place. Barring a miracle its time to start pitching for friday though. These guys are tough, they just have incredible at bats.

A couple of things are obvious the Cubs are deeper with the starters and can hit.

Cleveland has two legitimate starters and fill in guys plus Bauer was the #4 guy.

And Kluber can't pitch every game.

They are just going to have to gut it out every game and hope it goes 6 or 7.

They are just going to have to gut it out every game and hope it goes 6 or 7.

Worked for the Cavs when the world & networks gave us no chance to see games 6 or 7..Well here we are AGAIN..Go Tribe!!

Looks like the rain is creeping in, it's been that kind of night.

Relax TRIBE fans it's only one game.

Archived