THE BROWNS BOARD

Pettine

Chicopee John

We all know that Pettine was the x-teenth candidate (perhaps a slight exaggeration) to be offered The Browns' Head Coaching position and - obviously - the first one to accept the offer.

Some on this board believe the team has tons of talent - Gipper even believes that, other than the QB position, the Browns have MORE talent than the Patriots

He also believes Bill Belichick is significantly overrated as a HC and as an evaluator of talent.

So............................if the Browns have so much talent and because.......................Belichick is overrated, why are the Patriots undefeated and the Browns 2-8?

Any reasonable person knows that if Belichick had the Browns' QBs, the Pats would still have a strong team (see the year Brady was hurt and Cassel led the team.

Why is most of the vitriol on this board directed toward the DC, QB, etc. etc. etc. and not the HC? Supposedly a great roster of OLinemen and the team can't run the ball for ship.

I could go on and on and on but.......................what's the point. I guess you get my point.

He has sooooooooooooooooooooo much to work with and he has, basically, the worse record in the NFL.

Even though he is from Western PA. Even though his father was a Football coach...........................

Why was Schmurrmer (sp) a dunce and Pettine primed to be 'the next Chuck Knoll?"

I don't see a reason for him to enter next season as the HC.

You don't make changes just to make changes.

However, the talent is so awesome and the team so bad. Laughable, even?

Maybe all those other x-teen coaching prospects knew what they were doing?

Maybe Pettine hit his Peter Principle level.

We all know that Pettine was the x-teenth candidate (perhaps a slight exaggeration) to be offered The Browns' Head Coaching position and - obviously - the first one to accept the offer.

Some on this board believe the team has tons of talent - Gipper even believes that, other than the QB position, the Browns have MORE talent than the Patriots

He also believes Bill Belichick is significantly overrated as a HC and as an evaluator of talent.

He has Tom Brady

I think he is a good coach that does well with lesser talent.

But he has Tom Brady....which makes him a championship coach.

So............................if the Browns have so much talent and because.......................Belichick is overrated, why are the Patriots undefeated and the Browns 2-8?

They have Tom Brady

Any reasonable person knows that if Belichick had the Browns' QBs, the Pats would still have a strong team (see the year Brady was hurt and Cassel led the team.

No one knows that.

Why is most of the vitriol on this board directed toward the DC, QB, etc. etc. etc. and not the HC? Supposedly a great roster of OLinemen and the team can't run the ball for ship.

I could go on and on and on but.......................what's the point. I guess you get my point.

The point is: the Pats have Tom Brady.

He has sooooooooooooooooooooo much to work with and he has, basically, the worse record in the NFL.

That is how bad the coaching here is.

Even though he is from Western PA. Even though his father was a Football coach...........................

He is from Eastern PA. Doylestown/Bucks county is over by Philly.

Why was Schmurrmer (sp) a dunce and Pettine primed to be 'the next Chuck Knoll?"

Its Noll.....and we thought Pettine had Noll like characteristics. He still may, if he sticks around.

If he gets rid of his DC it may allow him to stay...imo

No. You may changes because people are inept at their job. So far, these guys are inept at their jobs.

A lot of guys do: Bud Carson, Romeo Crennel, all should have stayed Asst. Coaches.

Butch Davis should have stayed a HC, and not tried to be HC/GM

Same for Holmgren

Maybe the same for Ray Farmer.

It was that way for Dick LeBeau. Perhaps the greatest DC of all time. He learned early that being an HC was not for him.

Well, I don't have a dog in this Belichek fight, but you ignored the Cassell point, Gip.

I agree with OP. Not sure why Pettine gets more of a pass than Farmer. We have the highest paid defense. Now granted, maybe some are overpaid, but it's not like there are several examples of egregious overpayment on our D. Pettine turns that into the 1st or 2nd worst defense in the league. I'm sorry, that's not good coaching.

I would like to keep him just to try continuity but he deserves a ton of blame and IMO significantly less than Farmer.

Well, I don't have a dog in this Belichek fight, but you ignored the Cassell point, Gip.

I didn't ignore it. BB can be a good coach, and he can get a lot out of what he has on a roster.

They win Championships because they have Tom Brady.

Do all y'all get MY point on that?

I agree with OP. Not sure why Pettine gets more of a pass than Farmer.

Perhaps because as I noted elsewhere....you look at this roster, and you see a LOT of talent.

It is grossly misused talent....expecially on defense.

So....maybe O'Neil is taking the heat that Pettine should be taking. But Oneil does not deserve to be let off the hook.

We have the highest paid defense. Now granted, maybe some are overpaid, but it's not like there are several examples of egregious overpayment on our D. Pettine turns that into the 1st or 2nd worst defense in the league. I'm sorry, that's not good coaching.

I would like to keep him just to try continuity but he deserves a ton of blame and IMO significantly less than Farmer.

Well, that might be fair.

But when you look at the the problems the Browns have had with their high picks: JMZ, Gilbert, Shelton and Erving not being exactly productive.

Passing up the likes of Martavis Bryant for Terrence West.....that sort of thing. Farmer deserves heavy scrutiny for a lot of that.

West is cut.

Vince Mayle is cut (On Cowboy's taxi squad?

Terrence West is cut.

And he was cut by the Titans.......but I see that he is now on the PS of the Ravens. He will probably be activated before next week's game and go crazy.

Desir not looking very good so far. He looked like a D-III cornerback against the Steelers.

Then he let a good looking LB in Hayes Pullard go and got what? Jason Dimanche?

All he does is fiddle fart fuck around with the bottom of the roster.....and doesn't help the top of it much.

I've defended Pettine on just about everything, but when it comes to this piss poor defense there's no excuse. Pettine needs to fire O'Neil, and if he doesn't it's time to fire Pettine.

Don't get me started on Farmer, he gathered the ingredients for this shit pie we've been served. His ass should've been gone months ago.

Gip, I don't know how you constantly argue we have a ton of talent (I'd agree with that) but still think Farmer sucks? Isn't a pretty good chunk of our talent his doing? Any squandering of talent is purely on the coaching staff.

Gip, I don't know how you constantly argue we have a ton of talent (I'd agree with that) but still think Farmer sucks? Isn't a pretty good chunk of our talent his doing? Any squandering of talent is purely on the coaching staff.

Well, a fair share of it predates Farmer. And some of it seems to be what I think is "potential talent" that Farmer has picked up.

And in some cases it seems to me that the talent is so vastly misused that you cannot tell if Farmer made good picks or not.

So, yes, I agree, a lot of the squandering IS on the coaching staff...

boy, i wish we had an overated coach that won 4 superbowls...overated, wow...hokesy dokesy

The reason for that is where you need to start looking. It boils down to who runs the entire show..

I hope the Browns turn it around. Your problems are not busting out of first rounders, it busting out in ownership.

The thieving bum you have now is the ultimate silver spooner, and has no idea how to set a foundation for a winning organization.

This team needs stability like no other team in the league, but the key parts are always getting fired.

You've had solid coaching and GMs in your hands several times. The regime before this last bunch would have had things on the right track, but I guess a bum told the thief to cut them loose..

Good luck.

Not sure about Haslam yet- he did throw a ton of his own money $10 million+ in stadium upgrades over the last couple years, and seems comitted to bringing a winner to Cleveland. Try squeezing that out of tightwad Mikey Brown. You want to talk shady deals- look in a mirror, Spygate, Deflate Gate. Bill B lives right on the legal edge of what he thinks he can get away with.

Busting out on first rounders? LOL, give me a break. Courtney Brown. Gerrad Warren- instead of Ladanian Tomlinson- or your own Richard Seymour. Willie Green. Flash in the pans Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards. Kameron Wimbley. Brady Quinn. Phil Taylor. Trent Richardson. Brandon Weeden. Underachieving Barky Mingo and Justin Gilbert. A bunch of those guys made Bleacher Report's all-time bust list. Hells Bells, the only decent first round picks we've had in the last 15 years are the Joes- Haden and Thomas, plus Alex Mack.

You can't blame that all on bad coaching- it's bad talent evaluation- in spades, and a large reason the Browns have stunk in over a decade. .

I never could connect with the common Browns fans version of reality. Obviously, nobody else in the league can either.....

This thread shows just how twisted the average Browns fans view of the world is..

Anyone slamming the Pats organization as a comparison is fucking hilarious.....

Fucking hilarious...

The Pats have a knack for selecting early and late round talent, and stick with coaching? Hell, you guys even fired Bill fucking Bellichick...

Maybe they win because of the best ownership and leadership in the league?

That's why they can take a piece of coal and make a diamond out of it.

The Browns organization can routinely take a choice diamond and turn it into worthless coal.

The reason for that is where you need to start looking. It boils down to who runs the entire show..

I hope the Browns turn it around. Your problems are not busting out of first rounders, it busting out in ownership.

The thieving bum you have now is the ultimate silver spooner, and has no idea how to set a foundation for a winning organization.

This team needs stability like no other team in the league, but the key parts are always getting fired.

You've had solid coaching and GMs in your hands several times. The regime before this last bunch would have had things on the right track, but I guess a bum told the thief to cut them loose..

Good luck.

We didn't fire Belichick, you dumb cunt.

Zombo

I never could connect with the common Browns fans version of reality. Obviously, nobody else in the league can either.....

This thread shows just how twisted the average Browns fans view of the world is..

Anyone slamming the Pats organization as a comparison is fucking hilarious.....

Fucking hilarious...

The Pats have a knack for selecting early and late round talent, and stick with coaching? Hell, you guys even fired Bill fucking Bellichick...

Maybe they win because of the best ownership and leadership in the league?

That's why they can take a piece of coal and make a diamond out of it.

The Browns organization can routinely take a choice diamond and turn it into worthless coal.

Good luck.

Fuck off you cheating bastards.

Awe, your wrecking my next attack from Zombo....

Nothing is more weird than watching him wig out about football.

When people come in here running their mouths and then incorrectly pointing out spelling mistakes and claiming illiteracy, I'm gonna call it out. Sorry if I foiled your plan for Zombo domination.

Do we really need to be told that something is seriously wrong somewhere in our hierarchy otherwise we wouldn't have been down for so long?! If I were a Pats fan I'd be wallowing in our own success on our own board not rubbing it in on an easy pickings board. We can't chase the owner out so the buck stops with the GM, HC and OC and DC. If one or more of these don't sort it out asap, one or more will lose their job very soon. It's not rocket science.

I stopped reading when I got to this part of your post.

Brady, on 18 Nov 2015 - 5:36 PM, said:snapback.png

Hell, you guys even fired Bill fucking Bellichick...

You may want to do a little research before making up stupid shit like this.

Well....whether he was fired by the Browns or by the Ravens.....Belichick basically deserved firing. A. He had losing seasons in 4 of the 5 seasons he coached here. He would have been long ago fired by the Patriots if they didn't get lucky with Tom Brady likely.

B. He was a public relations nightmare.....and Modell certainly had his fill of those, and didn't want another albatross hanging on his neck with BB in Baltimore where he had to play nice. BB would be a PR nightmare for the Pats....if he weren't winning.

I stopped reading when I got to this part of your post.

Brady, on 18 Nov 2015 - 5:36 PM, said:snapback.png

You may want to do a little research before making up stupid shit like this.

Well....whether he was fired by the Browns or by the Ravens.....Belichick basically deserved firing. A. He had losing seasons in 4 of the 5 seasons he coached here. He would have been long ago fired by the Patriots if they didn't get lucky with Tom Brady likely.

B. He was a public relations nightmare.....and Modell certainly had his fill of those, and didn't want another albatross hanging on his neck with BB in Baltimore where he had to play nice. BB would be a PR nightmare for the Pats....if he weren't winning.

As I have said from the beginning... BB was a 0 before Brady.. And will be a 0 afterword.. All bill knows how to do is cheat... Thats his legacy... He is and always will be an asshole..

I love how these douchebag fans of the Steelers, Patriots, Bills (really?), etc. like to come onto our Board and preach to us about how to go about the right way to build a franchise.

I call it the "I stayed at Holiday Inn Express Last Night" approach to "teaching us" how we are doing things wrong.

Telling us where we went wrong and how to fix things. Like it's the fan's fault.

I find this laughable. The Browns may have the most knowledgeable football fan base out there, not to mention most loyal.

Don't equate the fanbase to the product on the field. And don't get all high and mighty if Browns fans continue to root for the present Browns, despite their obvious flaws.

The guys that said "fuck it, I can't root for this shitshow anymore" ... they aren't here anymore. What you have left is loyal fans who remember when things were done right in Cleveland, and how proud they were of that team .. and young guys who have never experienced a winner, but stay committed every year, and they get up for the draft, and the young players, and grab on to something to believe in and some hope for the future.

We enjoy debating where the team went wrong and how to fix it ... but we got this, we don't need "advice" on how to be a fan and be told what "we" are doing wrong.

Our frustration level cannot be measured. But neither can our loyalty. And we don't need shitbags coming in here and rubbing our faces in it and acting like they are some authority because they watch a successful team ... like we haven't been watching how the Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, etc. have been running their franchises for years ... like WE don't get it.

1994 the Cleveland Browns went 11-5 and advanced to the second round of the Playoffs by beating Bill Parcels' Patriots.

Ozzie Newsome was in charge of personnel, Bill Belichick was head coach and Nick Saban was the defensive coordinator.

That's as good as it gets.

Also on the staff: Scott Pioli, Thomas Dimitroff, Phil Savage, Jim Schwartz, and Eric Manigini

Does it sound like we were building something special?

The next season, Modell pulled the rug from under Cleveland, gutted the fanbase and left the staff in limbo, crushing the soul of that team. He took Newsome with him to Baltimore where he (Newsome) has won two Super Bowls. Belichick (Somebody check my spelling, I'm not real familiar with him) was fired by Modell, in Baltimore, and went on to win four Super Bowls himself.

We had the ultimate dream team assembled and it was broken up by Modell's greed.

The fans fought for the franchise, like no fanbase has ever done before or since, and their hard work and loyalty was rewarded with a reboot of the original Browns franchise.

But the NFL rushed the comeback, did not give the browns sufficient time to assemble staffs and scouting years in advance like they did with Carolina, Jacksonville and, later Houston.

And then it ... through three ownership changes, it has just been one disaster after another.

But it's not because Cleveland fans don't know what it takes to win. The owners have failed us with their hirings, their hirings have failed us with their draft picks, and Bill Belichick is not walking through that door, Ozzie Newsome is not walking through that door, but there is no reason to believe it can't be turned around under the current ownership. He's got the money, he's go the motivation, and someday it will click ... the right person will walk through the door and success will trickle down to all phases of the franchise and it won't be because some faggy Steeler fan or Bills fan/wannabe Patriots fan told this long-suffering franchise what it takes to make a winner.

You don't make changes just to make changes ... but you don't stay patient just to stay patient either. But what you certainly DO do ... is let Year 2 play out.

Belichick, Newsome and Saban had three losing seasons before 1994.

We've got six football games to win ... let's go out and win them.

Zombo

I love how these douchebag fans of the Steelers, Patriots, Bills (really?), etc. like to come onto our Board and preach to us about how to go about the right way to build a franchise.

Telling us where we went wrong and how to fix things. Like it's the fan's fault.

I find this laughable.

Don't equate the fanbase to the product on the field. And don't get all high and mighty

.... but we got this, we don't need "advice" on how to be a fan and be told what "we" are doing wrong.

And we don't need shitbags coming in here and rubbing our faces in it and acting like they are some authority because they watch a successful team ..

Great post......and exactly how Ive felt about all the shitbags all along.....

Because they live in a town with a better team, they somehow feel they have a hand in that or know more because of it....

And, after winning and still feeling hollow, it's important for them to gloat in an effort to get more "feel good" out of it....

Thats the main reason I try not to engage with trolls and opposing fans....they've got nothing of value to offer me or the board...

Nothing....

Great post......and exactly how Ive felt about all the shitbags all along.....

Because they live in a town with a better team, they somehow feel they have a hand in that or know more because of it....

And, after winning and still feeling hollow, it's important for them to gloat in an effort to get more "feel good" out of it....

Thats the main reason I try not to engage with trolls and opposing fans....they've got nothing of value to offer me or the board...

Nothing....

While true that they have nothing of value to offer me or the board.....I do engage them because I have something of value to offer them: the truth, the facts......and a frequent swift kick in the ass.....or beyond.

To Me.. The troll fags are pure entertainment...And some of the stupid things they say are entertaining , to some degree... Yet ridiculous..I will love this team till I die,., But, I don't think current ownership and regime has a freaking clue.. I was out there marching when Art stole Our team. Something has to give,... and go right for once...its hard to believe Ive been on this board what.. 9 years now?

To Me.. The troll fags are pure entertainment...And some of the stupid things they say are entertaining , to some degree... Yet ridiculous..I will love this team till I die,., But, I don't think current ownership and regime has a freaking clue.. I was out there marching when Art stole Our team. Something has to give,... and go right for once...its hard to believe Ive been on this board what.. 9 years now?

Wow, nine years and only 5990 posts? You are underproducing and in the proud tradition of the Browns, we're gonna have to cut you. ;):D

Formal names are capitalized. That should read Miss Informed Cunt. Carry on. ;)

Is there a pageant of informed cunts somewhere? They stand at on stage in bikinis and tell everyone lots of interesting things but in a cunty way?

Archived