THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns worst picks......everrrrrrrrr....

Mudfly

Lawyer Tillman...what did he play..2 games?

Lawyer Tillman played well in limited time.. Injuries killed his career.

Lawyer Tillman played well in limited time.. Injuries killed his career.

Yep...plus, he was a 2nd rounder and a WR that we decided to convert to TE.....

Not great....but far from the worst......

I'm a Bucs fan, and a Browns fan.. The Browns have never drafted a Bo Jackson even when he told you not to. And told you he'd play baseball if you did..

Agreed...no Bo Jackson.....THAT would hurt......youch

We did draft a guy named Ron Brown....wr.....who "I believe" did a similar thing and threatened to go to the olympics(and did, I think).......ultimately, we cut him loose and he ended up playing for the Rams.....

Still, Bo was a #1 overall pick that turned to dust.. And thankfully the Browns have nothing in their history that even approaches that level of ignorance.. Then, there's the Jack Thompson fiasco that turned out to give the Bengals the top pick in the 84 draft..

My point is, Yeah, there are bad #1 picks with all franchises.. And then, there's the Bucs :wacko: So quit bitching..

On the plus side, the Bucs DO own a Lombardi.... And as God as my witness, I sincerely hope to see the Browns own a Lombardi as well in my lifetime..

Still, Bo was a #1 overall pick that turned to dust.. And thankfully the Browns have nothing in their history that even approaches that level of ignorance.. Then, there's the Jack Thompson fiasco that turned out to give the Bengals the top pick in the 84 draft..

My point is, Yeah, there are bad #1 picks with all franchises.. And then, there's the Bucs :wacko: So quit bitching..

On the plus side, the Bucs DO own a Lombardi.... And as God as my witness, I sincerely hope to see the Browns own a Lombardi as well in my lifetime..

We picked Tom Skladany who never played a down for us.

Ron Brown, too.

Z

We picked Tom Skladany who never played a down for us.

Skladany....what a chump......who ever heard of a prima-donna punter?

IMO, Junkin was the worst.

He seems to be the consensus pick.....

True. Same with Tim Couch.

WSS

Yep....I always liked Couch and think, of all our QBs, he's the one who got the rawest deal.....

I think a lot of people would be surprised to hear he still finished as the Browns 5th all time QB in production...

The bad picks imo are the ones like Gilbert where we took a flyer and failed horribly.

a 'flyer' on Gilbert? dude, do you watch anything in the off-season besides 'housewives of atlanta'? dude was THE consensus #1 at his position. so not only did farmer fuck up with his assesment on the kid but every other pre-draft talking head did as well. problem is when you scout these guys there's no way to measure their heart. vertical, speed etc. etc. not heart though and i'm sure everyone talks the same bullshit in their interviews with every team, just like you had to talk shit to get your job flippin burgers at burger hut.

"i swear i'll show up early and be the best fry boy you've ever had sir!"

I thought Dennard was the "consensus" #1 with Gilbert #2 and a rising Fuller #3.

All three were projected for the first round followed by Verrett and Roby with their late-1/early-2 projections.

I thought Dennard was the "consensus" #1 with Gilbert #2 and a rising Fuller #3.

All three were projected for the first round followed by Verrett and Roby with their late-1/early-2 projections.

Yep...Dennard-Fuller-Gilbert.....ranked 1-2-3....by everyone.....but they all had different ideas on which was best...

Gilbert was the biggest and the fastest of the 3....and the Browns are on record saying they liked his length and thought he was the best for their style of play.....

Ironically, Verrett and Roby have outperformed all 3.......and amazingly, the highest rated CB from this class is....

Kwaun Williams.....

Yep...Dennard-Fuller-Gilbert.....ranked 1-2-3....by everyone.....but they all had different ideas on which was best...

Gilbert was the biggest and the fastest of the 3....and the Browns are on record saying they liked his length and thought he was the best for their style of play.....

Ironically, Verrett and Roby have outperformed all 3.......and amazingly, the highest rated CB from this class is....

Kwaun Williams.....

Williams has not been good lately

watched the combine live the day of the cbs and safeties etc. mike mayock (who i have more faith in than any draft nerd) was on set in nfl network with joe haden. mayock loves joe haden and scouted him when he came out of florida as a #1. mayock said gilbert in his opinion was the best and asked haden who he'd like to be the #2 opposite him in the brown's future and he said gilbert. so i don't know anything outside of that cuz after watching and hearing that i was sold.

watched the combine live the day of the cbs and safeties etc. mike mayock (who i have more faith in than any draft nerd) was on set in nfl network with joe haden. mayock loves joe haden and scouted him when he came out of florida as a #1. mayock said gilbert in his opinion was the best and asked haden who he'd like to be the #2 opposite him in the brown's future and he said gilbert. so i don't know anything outside of that cuz after watching and hearing that i was sold.

No doubt.....he was amazing at the combine....and, if you watched his tape, he looked very special indeed.....

Plus, he had the added bonus of being a great return guy.....I bought that bill of goods too.... thats for sure.....

OK, I guess it is a good thing for you/us that you only began in 1970.....as if you had just gone 20 years earlier to when the Browns joined the NFL and began participating in the NFL draft, Mike Junkin may have only been like 5th or 6th worst on your list behind the likes of these guys:

1954 #1 overall pick Bobby Garrett QB......played in 9 NFL games.......had 143 career passing yards (with Green Bay, Browns cut him)

1954 #12 overall pick John Bauer .....played in 2 NFL games....for the Giants after Browns cut him.

(yes, John.......Jack Bauer was his name......he lasted about 24 hours in the NFL)

1955 #13 overall pick Kurt Burris OC.......did not play in a single NFL game.

1962 #11 overall pick Leroy Jackson RB.....had 142 rushing yards in his career. Its a good thing we had a guy named Jim Brown here in his prime, and that the Browns took a guy named Leroy Kelly in a mid round in 1964 to run the ball.

Ok.....was reading the Derek Carr thread and the discussion turned to the Browns all-time worst picks......and since we seem to LOVE bitching about the past....here is your chance to get them all rolled into one discussion......so, based upon that, here is my list of the 10 worst first round picks we've made....

Criteria = I went back to 1970, because that is where my memory ends in terms of the Draft.....and, even though weve had some bad picks, a lot of them went other places and "at least" had careers......So, Ive picked the guys that I think were the worst for the Browns or just never made it....period...

10) Trent Richardson -RB (3).....woulda been higher, but he did get us a thousand yards & 12 tds, before the trade......and then a first round pick.....so, not as bad as some.....

9) Willis Adams -WR (20)....here is the #1 wr that everyone has been wanting....but, wait!...he sucked...

8) Brady Quinn - QB (22)....recent, so we all know the story....out of the league in a blink.....

7) Steve Holden - WR (16)....another WR bust and part I of the worst draft ever.....(1973)...

6) Pete Adams - OG (22).....same draft as Holden and this guy never played a down....2 busts in the same year.....(so maybe our worst draft ever, right here).....

5) William Green -RB (16)....wow....talk about not doing your homework....dude was sick and no one knew.....I remember watching him puke on the sidelines, between series.....

4) Clifford Charlton - LB (21)....another complete zeroooo.....never started a game and gone almost immediately......word was that this guy was "almost" as smart as a rock.....almost.....

3) Touchdown Tommy Vardell -RB (9)....One of Billys first picks, this guy was picked #9, when he shoulda gone in the 9th round....big difference Billy.....just turrible.....

2) Craig Powell - LB - (30)...I put him so high, because he stucked that bad.....Billy blew another pick...and this guy was out of the league before end of year 2.....

1) Mad Man in a Meat Market Mike Junkin -LB -(5).....5th player taken and he sucked....ROYALLY....should never have happened......BLAME MARTY!!!!....

We also picked some good players, that had issues.....so Honorable Mentions go to:

Charles White.....Heisman winning Coke head....

Don Rogers........Dead Coke head

Kellen Winslow...Wheely popping Soldier.....

Braylon Edwards...Asshole.....

There it is.......

OH.....my best first round ever???.....1978....2 picks.....Ozzie Newsome & Clay Mathews... :)

the most depressing part of this post is that you listed 14 guys who were 1st round busts and none of them were named Brandon Weeden. T Rich was a bust, but still far better for the Browns than that turd.

If the NFL was the classic movie 'Twins' Brandon Weeden would be the Danny Devito and literally any other QB would be Arnold Schwarzenegger

the most depressing part of this post is that you listed 14 guys who were 1st round busts and none of them were named Brandon Weeden. T Rich was a bust, but still far better for the Browns than that turd.

If the NFL was the classic movie 'Twins' Brandon Weeden would be the Danny Devito and literally any other QB would be Arnold Schwarzenegger

Techinically, Brady Quinn would have to be considered a bigger bust than Weeden. Quinn is out of the NFL and has been while Weeden (dreadful as he is) is still collecting a pretty nice NFL paycheck each week.

Techinically, Brady Quinn would have to be considered a bigger bust than Weeden. Quinn is out of the NFL and has been while Weeden (dreadful as he is) is still collecting a pretty nice NFL paycheck each week.

But, then Quinn was drafted 5 years ahead of Weeden. Quinn was on NFL rosters for 6 years.

Weeden is only in his 4th year.....and as of next week will be relegated to 3rd string when Romo gets back.

Do you think Weeden will make it 6 years?

Still, for what its worth.....Weeden in 4 years has done better than Quinn in 6:

Weeden: 533/923 for 6158 yds and 28 TDs....in 4 years so far

Quinn: 296/550 for 3043 yds and 17 TDs.

Honestly....does anyone see Weeds kicking around like Josh McCown for more than the next 2 years? He is 32 right now.

But, then Quinn was drafted 5 years ahead of Weeden. Quinn was on NFL rosters for 6 years.

Weeden is only in his 4th year.....and as of next week will be relegated to 3rd string when Romo gets back.

Do you think Weeden will make it 6 years?

Still, for what its worth.....Weeden in 4 years has done better than Quinn in 6:

Weeden: 533/923 for 6158 yds and 28 TDs....in 4 years so far

Quinn: 296/550 for 3043 yds and 17 TDs.

Honestly....does anyone see Weeds kicking around like Josh McCown for more than the next 2 years? He is 32 right now.

Fair point... I think he would've had Romo not gotten hurt. The fact that Dallas had to watch him play a couple of games this year hurt the longevity of his career. If Romo had stayed healthy, he probably couldve hung on for another few years as a back up.

Archived