THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Draft History

stillmotion

I hate to say this, but i'm 26 years old, and since 1999, the browns have rarely took a player i'm incredibly excited about with their first choice. Changing GM's and regimes too much has killed us. I really wish years ago we could of gotten a solid coach and stuck with him a bit longer so he could build something around him.

I feel like Pettine and Farmer aren't seeing eye-to-eye, even though farmer told us their relationship is great, Farmer was sweating like a fat girl in a sauna when he was answering, or should i say talking around questions at the podium.

Anyways, let me get back to the main topic of the thread and discuss our first round picks.

1999 - 1.) QB - Tim Couch - An epic draft with the likes of Ricky Williams, Tory Holt, David Boston, Champ Bailey, Jevon Kearse, Donovan Mcnabb, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, and Dante Culpepper. I'll admit i did like Couch coming out of college. The Browns drafted a thought-to-be franchise quarterback in Couch, although I'd of rather picked Ricky Williams. Mcnabb was my top QB pick, although I admit i liked Akili Smith and was wrong on him as well (Hey i was 10). We chose Kevin Johnson in the second round as our top tier WR for Couch to throw to. I'll admit, Couch didn't have a good enough starting staff and wasn't as bad of a pick as we made him out to be. The Steelers grabbed Joey Porter in the third round here.

2000 - 2.) DE - Courtney Brown - Browns have the first round pick. We select Courtney Brown. I wasn't as impressed as most were about the prospect although ESPN was making him out to be the next Lawrence Taylor. Jamal Lewis, Brian Urlacher, and Shawn Alexander were some of the Studs that went in the first round. Brown went on to be a bust, and the Patriots hit in the sixth round on Tom Brady.

2001 - 3.) DT - Gerard Warren - We passed on RB Tomlinson and took DT Gerard Warren with the third pick. Richard Seymour, Reggie Wayne, Drew Brees, Chad Johnson and Steve Smith were taken after that.

2002 - 4.) RB - William Green - The browns finally decide to take a RB and fix their rushing game. Later on, the Broncos grab Clinton Portis. The Ravens grab Ed Reed who helps them for years.

2003 - 5.) C - Jeff Faine - Also in the draft is Nnamdi Asomugha, Anquan Boldin, Lance Briggs. The shitbirds take Terrell Suggs this year.

2004 - 6.) TE - Kellen Winslow - A dynamic player, albeit with some major personality issues. This was a big draft as Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Larry Fitzgerald, Sean Taylor, Jonathan Vilma, Ben Rapeslessburger, Vince Wilfork, Bob Sanders, and Steven Jackson entered the league in it. I wasn't disappointed with this pick.

2005 - 7.) WR - Braylon Edwards, took by the Browns with the third pick. I liked Braylon skill wise, although he had issues with his personality as well. Shawne Merriman, Derrick Johnson, Aaron Rodgers, and Roddy White also went in the first round. The Packers grab Nick Collins later as a steal.

2006 - 8.) DE - Kamerion Wimbley - Browns take FB Vickers and D'Qwell Jackson also, Shitbirds grab Ngata the pick before us. Not much to say about this year.

2007 - T - Joe Thomas/Brady Quinn - Probably our best first pick in the round pick since we've been back. JT is a class act and a leader. Browns passed on Adrian Peterson, Laron Landry, Patrick Willis, Darrell Revis, and Marshawn Lynch. The Chiefs grab Stud WR Dwayne Bowe with the 23 pick. Calvin Johnson is taken by the lions with the #2 pick right before us.

2008 - No pick - Matt Ryan, Ryan Clady, Aqib Talib, and Chris Johnson are taken in the first round. Matt Forte, and Ray Rice in the second, and Jamaal Charles in the third.

2009 - C - Alex Mack - Stafford was the first pick in this draft. BJ Raji, Orapko, and Cushing were taken before us. Percy Harvin the pick after us, and Clay Matthews with the 26th pick (who i really really wanted this year). Mack turned out to be a solid pick and made a few pro bowls. Seahawks grab C Max Unger in the second round. Eagles grab Lesean Mccoy who quicker becomes a dynamic playmaker.

2010 - CB - Joe Haden - Russell Okung, Eric Berry, Gerald Mccoy, and Suh were taken before him. WR's D Thomas and Dez Bryant are taken later in the first round. Second Round we take S T.J. Ward. A passionate playmaker we never should of let go of. This probably had to be my favorite 1-2 punch picks we ever took. Patriots take Gronkowski shortly after we take Ward. Saints take Jimmy Graham in the third round. Steelers land Antonio Brown in the sixth round. Overall a solid draft by us.

2011 - DT - Phil Taylor - I was stunned by this pick. We trade down and grab DT Taylor. He seems like a solid player, but I wasn't expecting this especially since we needed a solid WR threat. Cam Newton, Von Miller, Marcell Darius, AJ Green, and Patrick Peterson are taken before our pick, which we traded to the Falcons. Everyone thought it was a steal, but they landed dynamic threat Julio Jones. I was pissed. I wanted Green. JJ Watt is taken 11th by the Texans. Bengals take Andy Dalton, and the Packers take Randall Cobb, who I also love. We take Jordan Cameron in the 4th round, and the Seahawks grab Richard Sherman in the fifth. Upto this point, this is the most disappointing draft i've seen.

2012 - RB - Trent Richardson/QB Brandon Weeden - Andrew Luck and RG3 taken before him, Holmgren snatches Richardson with the third pick. Most people were stoked, and i didn't think the pick would pan out as bad as it did. Panthers grab LB Luke Kuechly. The Browns shockingly take a much older rookie QB with the 22nd pick. I don't quite understand it. Seahawks grab Russell Wilson in the third round. Browns worst first round draft to date in my opinion.

2013 - DE - Barkevous Mingo? - I didn't like this pick at all, and wanted us to pick an impact player in the first round instead of another situational player. My friend tells me how we should trust in the GM and how he'll be a stud. Jets take Sheldon Richardson with the 13th pick. Steelers grab Le'veon Bell in the second round. Packers take Eddie Lacy. I liked Dion Jordan this year.

2014 - CB - Justin Gilbert/ QB Johnny Manziel - Browns trade back from the fourth pick and the Bills take Sammy Watkins. I liked Khalil Mack and Mike Evans this year. I think everyone was shocked when we traded back and grabbed Gilbert. I knew he was a good prospect, thats about it. Shitbirds take CJ Mosley, and the Cowboys pass on Johnny Football to take Zack Martin. Giants take Odell Beckham with the 11th pick who goes on to be a stud. Broncos take Ohio State CB Bradley Roby who ends up being pretty solid. This WR class was deep and we didn't take advantage of it. Benjamin Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, and Cooks end up excelling as well. Browns hit on Joel Bitonio. Raiders select Derek Carr the pick after that.

The Vikings select Teddy Twatwater who is rumored not to like Cleveland. I wanted Mike Evans and Jimmy Garrapolo this draft.

I'll admit I thought maybe our staff was onto something and could get Johnny to translate to a winner in the NFL. I liked his passion, and thought he played with a lot of it. I knew he had problems though. It's ironic after the film "Draft Day" is released, Farmer decides to get Johnny Football instead of a safer pick. It's also fascinating to think that Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, and Teddy Twatwater are all start at this point. We take Terrance West who seems like a steal in the third round. The falcons grab Devonta Freeman shortly afterwards. I'm grateful the Browns don't select Michael Sam.

2015 - DT - Danny Shelton/C Cameron Erving - I was absolutely stoked we were able to grab Shelton, who we desperately need, but i'm also shocked we took a center so early. I know we needed depth, but in the first round you draft immediate starters. Browns grab RB Duke Johnson. The jury is still out on this past year, but i'll admit, for the most part I was stoked about this draft. Farmer finally takes a WR in Vincent Mayle and i'm stoked because I trust he might be on to something. Later we release him. But to give Farmer credit, overall it was a solid draft and i thought WR parker was overrated.

Just found this all pretty interesting/fascinating. I don't know how since we've been back we can miss on so many picks. Is it something wrong with our front office, or are we not selecting enough talent? It seems like over the years we've selected talented players (Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards, Josh Gordon, even Terrance West), but some of them had have serious attitude problems. Why aren't we able to catch on to that while other teams are?

If you were GM, what different picks would you of made? I'm surprised we didn't take Clay Matthews Jr. When we had the chance.

Hopefully we turn things around and get some major hits. Farmer seems to be sick at finding undrafted free agents who are talented, but against picking WR's in the draft. In 2014 it was so deep I wish we would of grabbed someone. Will a team full of undrafted free agents win us a superbowl? I think we need both that and some studs from the draft.

I've been down this memory lane a bunch of times previously- and It's the primary reason the Browns have sucked for so long- overall piss poor drafting.

Thomas and Haden the only that rate for the long haul.

U really don't understand why they took weeden and Tbitch?

Main reason being Holmgren and company were in the 5 yr process of bringing this organization back to relevance and new idiot buys team from old idiot and says win this year or fucking else. Those picks wer nothin more than desperate picks and I can't blame heckertt or Holmgren

Unless Farmer changes... I'd say he needs to be gone.

and I think that Pettine, if he won't bring in a DC that knows

what the hell he is doing......

should be also. The defense just doesn't work, and saying "the players

have to execute better" is crap.

His defense doesn't work anywhere he's been. The players deserve better.

Although, I still life Flip a lot.... who the hell runs on first down most all the time?

Kosar used to take the first play, first down, and throw the ball long, and it gave

the defenses an attitude adjustment.

I do love the offense outside of that, but this team needs bigtime wr or two. An AJ Green alone

would make this offense unstoppable... but that first down run every time.... sucks.

2005 - 7.) WR - Braylon Edwards, took by the Browns with the third pick. I liked Braylon skill wise, although he had issues with his personality as well. Shawne Merriman, Derrick Johnson, Aaron Rodgers, and Roddy White also went in the first round. The Packers grab Nick Collins later as a steal.

Of all the coulda/shoulda's of this list, the guy is red above is the worst passover the Browns have made in the last 15 years.

Archived