THE BROWNS BOARD

SCOTUS - Same Sex Marriage a Right in Every State

gftChris

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gay-marriage-and-other-major-rulings-at-the-supreme-court/2015/06/25/ef75a120-1b6d-11e5-bd7f-4611a60dd8e5_story.html?tid=sm_fb

The Supreme Court on Friday delivered a historic victory for gay rights, ruling 5 to 4 that the Constitution requires that same-sex couples be allowed to marry no matter where they live and that states may no longer reserve the right only for heterosexual couples.

Expect appeals shortly...

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an interesting question for the libbies. Since you're such huge proponents of the separation of church and state and that's so important...you don't expect churches to marry them do you? All state weddings right?

Absolutely. I mean, if a church wants to, and is ok with it, sure, and I'm sure there are plenty of churches that will. But no, I wouldn't expect a church (or mosque, synagogue, temple) to be compelled to perform the ceremony.

Here's an interesting question for the libbies. Since you're such huge proponents of the separation of church and state and that's so important...you don't expect churches to marry them do you? All state weddings right?

For sure. Churches should have no responsibility to have to marry someone. That is a religious ceremony.

I remember a few years ago with the national day of prayer and a well known minister was asked to speak in DC. He believed what the bible taught about homosexuality and the militant gay community did everything they could to keep him from speaking because he had that view. This will open a can of worms. You will have only government approved ministers and religion allowed in the public arena. What will happen to military chaplains who believe the bible on the issue of homosexuality over what the government says? They will be drummed out of the service and replaced by government approved chaplains. Those Christians who don't toe the line with the government will find the weight of the government being used against them. Liberal churches who go against the bible and approve of gay marriage will continue with tax exempt status while bible believing churches will get punished.

As we've seen for a few years now, you're just on the wrong side of history. I'm sure the kicking and screaming will subside. And none of your crazy slippery slope arguments will happen. Like Chris said, the rights of gay citizens outweighs whatever your particular religion says. Your beliefs are based on a book, religion is becoming less prevalent, and Christianity is losing its hold on the US. it I a move forward.

Some dude named Antonin Scalia joins me on the right side of history.

'Hubris is sometimes defined as o'erweening pride; and pride, we know, goeth before a fall,' he wrote. 'With each decision of ours that takes from the People a question properly left to them – with each decision that is unabashedly not based on law, but on the "reasoned judgment" of a bare majority of this Court – we move one step closer.' Justice Antonin Scalia

Some dude named Antonin Scalia joins me on the right side of history.

While I'll concede you that Mark Twain's remarks when finding one's self on the side of the majority give me pause - not this.

In this mindset of leaving questions to the 'People' - you could pose some terrible ones at certain points in history regarding practices that were common in said era and the majority would have favored the outcome that we today consider abhorrent.

You strung a bunch of stuff together that's minimally coherent. Scalia is basing that as much or more as a constructionists than from other viewpoints.

Sometimes the Court has ruled constitutionally but immorally. (Dred Scott) and sometimes the court has ruled both immorally and unconstitutionally - Both ObamaCare decisions and this.

100%. I will be very upset if they try to force church's to marry gays. Because I have something called principle.

That's your opinion.

it's not really an opinion anymore. You do realize that in the not too distant past, someone such as yourself made these EXACT comments about ending slavery, than giving equal rights to colored people, than letting women vote blah blah blach. It was always the same....THE REPUBLIC IS FINISHED CAUSE WOMEN ARE NOW DEEMED TO HAVE THEIR OWN UNIQUE SOULS AND ARE NOT ADJUNCTS TO THEIR MALE OVERSEERS.

it's not really an opinion anymore. You do realize that in the not too distant past, someone such as yourself made these EXACT comments about ending slavery, than giving equal rights to colored people, than letting women vote blah blah blach. It was always the same....THE REPUBLIC IS FINISHED CAUSE WOMEN ARE NOW DEEMED TO HAVE THEIR OWN UNIQUE SOULS AND ARE NOT ADJUNCTS TO THEIR MALE OVERSEERS.

You are truly ignorant, and have no idea of my opinions. Extending this into a generality with the 19th amendment thrown in is a lame ploy that only someone like you would deal with. I also have never called for the repeal of the 13th amendment. Rolling women's rights, and the abolition of slavery in with letting LGBTEIEI'os marry is intellectually lazy and bankrupt and displays a severe lack of intellect.

I am being kind when I suggest that you stick to the subforums that deal with womens sports.

Archived