THE BROWNS BOARD

First Depth Chart Released

wargograw

I felt it was the other way around....that we were heavy in the middle and thin on the outside. Kirksey and Collins have primarily been MLBs....in the NFL...but we are now putting on the outside.

Kirk played ILB in a 3-4 and in his parings he has been the "Cover ILB/Slasher". In a 4-3 those traits are more suited to OLB. If nothing else, Tank's a "thumper".

Collins has primarily been a OLB although he moves around in packages.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? injury risk or decision making on goal line sky kicks? just seems his natural thing to do..

^^here's where I hated losing Greg Robertson(now a Saint BTW)...than Mingo became even more useless..imo always put the leader of your defense at MLB..that's your QB on the defense= MLB-Jamie Collins..Kirksey seemed to come on last season at taking away the TE where Schobert was just to slow & underweight(Mingo)..So many miss communications in coverage last 2 seasons that Gregg Williams probably turned off last seasons game film at first site of falling off body tackling..just another option,I'll take the Gregg Williams playbook

Injury risk.

Punts are one thing, kicks are a different animal.

Don't sleep on the HULKSTER to win the QB job fellas. Just saying, it's a four man race and Hogan has looked as good if not better than the other 3 QBs.. ;)

Kirk played ILB in a 3-4 and in his parings he has been the "Cover ILB/Slasher". In a 4-3 those traits are more suited to OLB. If nothing else, Tank's a "thumper".

Collins has primarily been a OLB although he moves around in packages.

Again, lets just hope it works. I felt that an OLB should have been on the wish list for this past draft, but that never happened. (unless you truly consider Peppers a hybrid OLB/DB...which I don't really...not that he may not do his share of rushing off the edge). It may be a spot to consider high in next year's draft.

As for Tank being a "thumper", I don't think he is going to remind anyone of my current Avatar....though...that would be fine if he did.

Don't sleep on the HULKSTER to win the QB job fellas. Just saying, it's a four man race and Hogan has looked as good if not better than the other 3 QBs.. ;)

Once upon a time, many years ago, I surreptitiously had a hamburger I was eating at a party laced with LSD. That might have freaked some people the fuck out and caused them to go crazy, but because I was so level headed I just said the hell with it....go with the flow....and I had no adverse effects from it.

It appears that you have had a similar experience...without, however, the "level head" and the going with the flow. You are just freaking out in a moonage daydream my friend.

Peppers is probably our best kick returner. But I'm not sure it's worth the injury risk unless

A. They really think he's Cribbs 2.0, or

B. The rest of the field isn't very good

Edit:

Or C. They're playing this year like I will in Madden, where Peppers gets all of the stats

Did Dayes do any returning in college?

No Punt returns.Kick off only.In kickoffs 2013-14----7 attemps 125yrds. long of 24 yrds.. In 14-15 season--21 attempts 384yrds. long of 50...Coach protected Dayes away from KO returns in 15-16---- O...Dayes has shake with no Bake...no afterburner change of speed but great vision to soft zones

A. They really think he's Cribbs 2.0, or-----pick 25 he better be

B. The rest of the field isn't very good------Buried in depth chart at Position 2, they MAYNOT be around

Edit:

good thing that chart is UN-official ^^KR---Peppers,Alford,Caldwell..Rookies do most the Grunt work to earn it. we got plenty of them

WR-Britt/Louis

LT-Thomas/Rod Johnson

LG- Bitonio/Drango

C- Tretter/Fabiano

RG-Zeitler/Greco

RT-Coleman/Camella Erving is 53rd if Brantley,Pryor or Olugbode don't oust his spot

TE- Njoku/DeValve/Telfer

WR- Coleman/R.Hall/J.Leslie

QB- Oz/Kessler/Kizer

RB- Crowell/Johnson/Dayes

FB- Vitale

DE- Garrett/Orchard

DT- Bryant/T.Coley

DT- Shelton/Ogunjobi/Meder

DE- Ogbah/Nassib

Will- Kirksey/Dom.Alexander

Mike- Schobert/Carder

Sam- Collins/James Burgess

CB- Haden/Calhoun/Stribling

CB- Taylor/McCourty/Burley

S- Kindred/Campbell

S- Peppers/Nacua

Hughlett/Colquitt/Gonzalez

My Starters for week 1

Ok,try again your at 39 roster spots. I'll be back with my 14 picks..They are in Red for now

Gipper, the OLB of the past regime and the OLB of this regime are very different animals

By that I assume you mean that there is a difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 OLB. Yes, some, perhaps. But there is still one primary goal here: rush the passer,

and be it Lawrence Taylor in the 3-4 or Myles Garrett in the 4-3 they still have THAT primary job. Put the passer on his ass.

(It really is not necessarily as complex as some of you want to make it out to be)

Peppers is probably our best kick returner. But I'm not sure it's worth the injury risk unless

A. They really think he's Cribbs 2.0, or

B. The rest of the field isn't very good

Edit:

Or C. They're playing this year like I will in Madden, where Peppers gets all of the stats

I think he needs to return kicks because: a. he is a rookie, and rookies have learning curves to overcome at a position like DB....let alone if he is going to play this rover role where things get more complex for him. B. whether or not he is Cribbs 2.0...he still seems to be the best we got....and if there may be some question about his ability to contribute on defense...and there is SOME question....he should be able to contribute highly with his kick returning skills. The rest of the field is not very good...unless some other newcomer, like a Dayes can actually contribute mightily to the return game. (I do note that from stats I have seen that Dayes WAS a kickoff returner his first 2 years in school....but apparently did not do it for his last couple of years. In 2014 he returned 22 kickoffs for a 17.0 yard average.....not that great, fair to say?)

Any other candidates?

By that I assume you mean that there is a difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 OLB. Yes, some, perhaps. But there is still one primary goal here: rush the passer,

and be it Lawrence Taylor in the 3-4 or Myles Garrett in the 4-3 they still have THAT primary job. Put the passer on his ass.

(It really is not necessarily as complex as some of you want to make it out to be)

An OLB in a 4-3 has a different job than an OLB in a 3-4.

A 4-3 end would be more comparable to a 3-4 OLB

WR-Britt/Louis/Gordon

LT-Thomas/Rod Johnson

LG- Bitonio/Drango

C- Tretter

RG-Zeitler/Greco

RT-Coleman/ Erving

TE- Njoku/DeValve/Telfer

WR- Coleman/Higgins/Payton

QB- Oz/Kessler/Kizer/Hogan

RB- Crowell/Johnson/Dayes

FB- Vitale

DE- Garrett/Orchard

DT- Bryant/Brantley/Ogulbode

DT- Shelton/Ogunjobi/Meder

DE- Ogbah/Nassib

Will- Kirksey

Mike- Schobert/Carder

Sam- Collins

CB- Haden/Calhoun/Caldwell

CB- Taylor/McCourty/Howard

S- Kindred/Campbell/Pryor

S- Peppers

Hughlett/Colquitt/Gonzalez

My Starters for week 1

Yes....and their job is to rush the passer primarily. Ergo it is fair to compare Garrett...a 4-3 end to Taylor a 3-4 OLB...in terms of that particular responsibility. That is what I said.

Under Parcels, in the 3-4, in his peak season, Taylor rushed the passer less than 80% of the time. Most of his career he rushed less than 50% of the time. And LT was a very special case, atypical of the way 3-4 OLBs are used.

No DE in the history of the 4-3 has rushed less than 95% of the time... not even if he played for the Father of the Zone Blitz, Dick LeBeau.

The PO kiss of death. Headed to the practice squad, if not outright cut. Heck, Kessler is on shakey ground if he doesn't step it up. Gordon? Has to be reinstated first, and it's long odds of that happening. If he doesn't this fall, it's over for Josh. Blackmon II.

Tune in next week for our "different types of wide receivers" lecture, number 13 in our "teaching Gipper the very basics of football" series.

Under Parcels, in the 3-4, in his peak season, Taylor rushed the passer less than 80% of the time. Most of his career he rushed less than 50% of the time. And LT was a very special case, atypical of the way 3-4 OLBs are used.

No DE in the history of the 4-3 has rushed less than 95% of the time... not even if he played for the Father of the Zone Blitz, Dick LeBeau.

And...if we did not have Williams here, if we had retained Horton say, we would have Garrett playing that OLB....and he would have been doing the things that LT did in NYC.

So, the analogy still applies.

Tune in next week for our "different types of wide receivers" lecture, number 13 in our "teaching Gipper the very basics of football" series.

You need the lesson more than I. The very basic point is that Myles Garrett and Lawrence Taylor have at least on the surface similar skill sets....that could be applied under either 3-4 or 4-3.

Now, you have been taught a basic fact that you apparently had no clue about.

As far as teaching goes though....I suspect you are likely good at teaching the basics of fellatio....a subject you seem more imminently familiar with than any other.

Yes....and their job is to rush the passer primarily. Ergo it is fair to compare Garrett...a 4-3 end to Taylor a 3-4 OLB...in terms of that particular responsibility. That is what I said.

You seemed to be comparing OLBs in each scheme, then DE. You jumped around a little

A 47 part series

And you appear nowhere in the credits. Well, no, that's not true. You did clue me in on the useless terminology of what Will/Sam/Mike are. Now.....since you knew those pieces of useless trivia...when are you going to start participating in the trivia quizzes....which are mostly far more relevant than that piece of trivia.

Jesus... the thought of Horton standing up MG as a 3-4 OLB is too painful for me to continue this exchange.

Well, that is what we would have had.....and I would have fully expected MG to have capably adapted to such.....given his similar skill set.

But, you don't have to worry.....Garrett is exactly the same height/weight as Deacon Jones.....and only an inch taller and 5-6 pounds off the build of Bruce Smith....so lets expect him to go that route instead.

Archived