THE BROWNS BOARD

AK 7.62x39mm vs 5.56mm, which round is more effective and powerful?

Mr. T

I went to the gun show today and had a look at the S&W M&P15 and I think I fell in love with this rifle/carbine. One of the dealers had 2 versions, one with an 11" barrel and another with the standard 16" barrel. Both were decked out with eotech sights, but I'm old school and prefer iron sights.

So I started a searching some reviews and came up with a few links below that were interesting. I'm trying to decide if I want to switch over from the AK to an AR15 model or not.

Any feedback on this would be great.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Ahh the old question of which of these cartridges is better. Honestly, the .223 is more powerful as far as velocity. However, its energy delivery is not quite as punchy as the soviet cartridge. I already know I am going to get thrashed over this but let me quantify this before the trashing starts.

The .223 is an excellent cartridge when it is compaired with its long range capabilities. It is a highly accurate cartridge, and within its range delivers adequate energy to dispatch its intended target. The drawback, however is its inherent instability in flight. The lighter bullet weight also more redily lends it to deflection by wind, and brush.

The .223's destructive force however, comes from its characteristic to bounce around inside the human body causing severe damage to internal organs before it finally comes to rest. It is not uncommon for these bullets to be found in locations within the body unrelated to its initial entry wound.

The 7.62x39 cartridge, unfortunately has a more sinister development history. Origionally based off the German M-44 Rifle Cartridge, this cartridge underwent some R&D that made it a nearly perfect man stopper cartridge.

According to some of the research that I have completed, and according to some sources, that must remain silent, Russian Developers tested this cartridge on political prisoners. The results were recorded and refined, for a cartridge that had but one purpose. If this sound too horrific to be true, I can tell you the source I have is indeed genuine.

In any event, the mission was to create a cartridge that was light enough, to carry more rounds per soldier, but effecive enough that a single center mass shot would deliver enough energy to cause enough impact shock to disable the target.

The bullet weight and velocity combination was specifically chosen for this purpose, whereas the .223 is an adapted hunting cartridge, like the .30-06 and the .308 Winchester, (7.62 NATO).

So in many respects compairing the two cartridges is really compairing apples and oranges. I say this because the soviet cartridge had a single purpose in its intended design. Currently is this soviet cartridge an excellent hunting cartridge? Yes it is, it happens to be my cartridge of choice for wild boar. I have used it on deer, and coyote with excellent results. Though for larger game, I choose to use my .308 and my 7mm Remington Magnum for Elk and the occasional Bear.

I hope I was able to help you out. Good luck and happy shooting.

Source(s):

NRA Firearm Instructor/BSIS Security Firearm Instructor

Source

9ff594c7.jpg

S&W's M&P 15 Is One Rugged & Reliable AR

Those who are surprised by Smith & Wesson's recent introduction of the Model M&P15 line of 5.56mm (.223 Remington) AR15 rifles are probably unaware that the company has actually been in the "black rifle" business several times before--most recently with its highly regarded Model 76 9mm military/police submachinegun, which was produced from 1966 through 1974, and before that with the 9mm S&W Light Rifle of the 1940s. The "M&P" designation in these new rifles stands for "Military & Police," which continues a Smith & Wesson tradition for duty-oriented guns that dates all the way back to 1899 and the world's first .38 Special revolver.

Three production-grade versions of the M&P15 are currently available, termed the M&P15 (standard model), the M&P15A, and the M&P15T (Tactical model). There is also a newly announced Model M&P15PC from the S&W Performance Center with premium features that include a two-stage match trigger and a 20-inch free-floated match-grade barrel. It is designed for competition, varmint shooting, and long-range tactical applications.

The marketplace is filled with AR-type rifles, so why has Smith & Wesson decided to move in this particular direction? S&W long gun Product Manager Steve Skrubis says, "Our goal is to be a full-service supplier of law-enforcement and personal-defense firearms and to offer a full-service array of firearms tools.

Source

I went to the gun show today and had a look at the S&W M&P15 and I think I fell in love with this rifle/carbine. One of the dealers had 2 versions, one with an 11" barrel and another with the standard 16" barrel. Both were decked out with eotech sights, but I'm old school and prefer iron sights.

So I started a searching some reviews and came up with a few links below that were interesting. I'm trying to decide if I want to switch over from the AK to an AR15 model or not.

Any feedback on this would be great.

9ff594c7.jpg

If I remember correctly, the round used in the Soviet/Chinese AK-47 is a fatter round then the standard 7.62. Personally, I would prefer the AK-47 in a real world combat situation because it is so damn tough. Those things can go through anything and not jam. I'm talking the "real" ones, not the copy cat ones.

• 5 weeks later...
If I remember correctly, the round used in the Soviet/Chinese AK-47 is a fatter round then the standard 7.62. Personally, I would prefer the AK-47 in a real world combat situation because it is so damn tough. Those things can go through anything and not jam. I'm talking the "real" ones, not the copy cat ones.

The kalashnikov of course. Here

• 1 month later...

If money isn't an object I skip both and go for the FN FAL. I have one and man is it fun! I'll take 7.63 x 51 over the 39 and 5.56 anytime (unless I have to carry a full combat load around with me all day!) I also don't think I could handle this thing on full auto. That being said, I've never had a gun that had more than a 3 shot burst and I don't think you can even get those anymore. (at least not easily) As for the FAL, it is dead on accurate in single shot (which is all i've got) and it packs a huge punch. Down side is less cartridges in the mag and the price of ammunition. It's definetly more fun to shoot than my sks's (but the three shot burst on the sks is fun too) I also have a .44 mag carbine that is fun. (though .44 mag has gone up in price by double since I bought it. :(

I do this the lazy way, without going to the charts for specifics.

as far as a round to round comparison, at most distances the 7.62x39 will be more effective. Bigger hole. More bullet weight.

As far as platforms, the AR is more accurate, and more adaptable. I wouldn't want to get shot with either, but notice how the Marines especially were looking for a more effective round for the urban Iraq environment they went to the 6.8 spc, which ballistically is very much like the 7.62x39, and was designed for the AR platform.

In civillian clothes, the 5.56 (known as the 223 remington) is a great varmint and target round. Many people like the 7.62x39 for deer hunting, especilly in SKSs and Ruger Mini 30's.

Archived