THE BROWNS BOARD

What's With All The Optimism?

browns1979

We lost by 7 pts, but that's a little misleading since we never actually had the ball late in the game with a chance to tie or take the lead. Really felt more like a 10-14 pt loss.

And what the hell was with that fg at the end? we know it was going to take some sequence of miracles to win anyways, but when you are INSIDE THE TEN, that's your chance to try for the touchdown. because if you recover an onside kick, there isn't going to be much time left and you want to be able to drive 25-30 yards and get in fg position, not end up having to throw a damn hail mary in the end zone. again, it's not like we were going to win anyways, but it goes to the really poor decision making at the hc position. Part of me wonders whether cleveland was more interested in getting a damn push on the number in this game(it closed at -7) than winning the game.

As for the performances, again we have to remember this was a 7 pt loss that felt like more(meaningless fg late) to a team that got the holy crap beat out of them a week ago. So sorry if I don't show "optimism" over that.

Brandon weeden was better of course, but jesus he set the bar so low last week that anything short of taking a dump in his pants while in the pocket would have been an improvement. Still only led us to 10 pts by close to the end of the third qtr....it was 24-10 at that point and the game was pretty much over. After Cincy got up 24-10 midway through third we never had the ball with a chance to tie. It's hard to be in a good position when you only have 10 pts playing so late in the game, especially when you give up a special teams td. Weeden's numbers look solid, but he didnt move the ball when it mattered most and still isn't looking like someone who knows what in the hell he is doing. Watching him play against joke defenses in the big12 I knew some team would take a flyer on him. But I didn't know it would be us and I sure as hell didnt expect it to be the first round but the third. what a wasted pick.

Trent Richardson played very well, especially in the passing game where he can be a real beast from those of us who watched him catch the ball at alabama. Richardson is going to be a good back. The problem is, he's not what we needed with the #3 pick in the draft. Bad football teams with a lot of needs do not have the luxury of drafting a running back high in the first round. It's a dumb strategy. Adrian peterson is a nice running back. The problem is, at that cap numberm and that degree of focus of the offense, he's a negative overall player. which is sorta why teams like the vikings and jags, with their supposed 'star' running backs, suck so bad. you know who would have looked really good on the field today? Morris claiborne....thats who.

We are well on our way to a 3-13 season. We suck, and the worst part is that we arent getting better anytime soon. other teams who sucked bad last year like the colts and the redskins have exciting young rookie qbs who may end up being great pretty soon. We have a clueless rookie qb who is almost 30 and only had any degree of success in college because he played in a gimmicky offense in a conference with horrible defense. Hell we may as well have drafted Kliff freaking Kingsbury....he's gotta be about the same age as weeden now and he put up big numbers in a gimmicky offense in a conference that wasnt playing defense either.

In some ways this week was even worse than last week because last week gave the hope that this season's defense may be stingy and a takeaway machine. After watching andy freaking dalton carve our secondary up with ease, those hopes are out the window.

Wow 2nd post was a pathetic failure from another POS moron with nothing better to clamor on about. You want to explain what was so damn special about Indy's and Washingtons "exciting" young QB's that Weeden outthrew both of today. BTW I don't know if you didn't notice Luck throwing 3 picks last week?!? How about since all you have is hate for the Browns you go suck on RG3's nutz and slather their board with your pathetic jizz that keeps frothing from your moronic lips.

You obviously don't know jack shit about building a football team so you just stick to the things you know: shopping, nail polish, your father's BMW, and your poor, rich drunk mother in the Caribbean.

Welcome to the pit Billy Bandwagon

Oh and I just want to point out one MAJOR failure on your part. It's about matchups week to week. Who gives a shit what happened last week. Yeah it's not a W in the column. We get that. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Ravens are supposed to be hands down winner in the AFC North and just like us they lost to the Eagles by one point. But unlike us they didn't manage to get 5 turnovers and hold them to only 17 points.

God this fanbase used to be intelligent and loyal to the "team". Who opened up the Black Hole of Stupidity in Believeland???

Brandon weeden was better of course, but jesus he set the bar so low last week that anything short of taking a dump in his pants while in the pocket would have been an improvement.

I don't know, I'd really like to see a highlight reel of Brandon Weeden taking a dump in his pants. Any QB who does that would be the talk of all sports shows for the next week.

FIRE EVERYONE! Let's start from scratch again! LOL!!! I agree with kicking those involved in the ass for letting Pac Man get that punt return to the endzone but come on! I didn't get to see the game, but I heard most of it on the radio. I see the stats and I see the loss but come on. You have to admit this game is better than last week and calling for heads now is Retarded. (Shrmumomo aside, that guy is a clown.)

You are a fucking moron. I don't even want to waste my time denouncing everything you just said. I will point this out however. Kicking the field goal is undoubtedly the right choice in that decision with that amount of time and no time outs left. Also our best CB and our best DLineman were out. They will be back.

well, it's tough to denounce any of it when what is true is true.....we lost a not all that close game to a mediocre football team, and some of you guys in here are optimistic about the game. 2-14 teams lose to mediocre teams about like we lost yesterday.

As for the fg/td decision, again, it makes no sense to give up your td chance when that is going to be a MUCH BETTER chance than what you will get if you recover an onside kick. You need a td anyways, and last I checked it is easier to score from inside the 10 than t is 60 yards away.

A mediocre football team that was in the playoffs last year and is being picked by a lot of people to be in the playoffs again this year. I'd rather see a win but considering how shitty we have looked for years, it was an entertaining game and we actually have some playmakers on this team.

Not only was it not a W, but it was a rather convincing loss(browns never had the ball in second half with chance to tie....always down 10-14 pts for most all half) to a mediocre football team.

dude, i'm the biggest pessimist here. my biggest complaint throughout camp was that i didn't like what we did with our first 2 picks (i liked claiborne at 5 and d. martin at 22) but that just goes to show how much i know because even last week i walked away a happy browns fan. if we would have won i would have been ecstatic. but a rookie performance by a rookie QB in his first pro game is not enough to start hitting the alarm button. the only real problem i saw last week was our OL and lack of depth at certain positions on defense. but all in all to play the eagles that tough was exciting and with all the turnovers by us we still almost won the game.

this week we lost, yeah. but did you really think we were going to be 8-8 or better this year? if you are a true browns fan and can't walk away from yesterday's game seeing a bunch of positives, you're either blind or you're a steeler's troll. weeden was head and shoulders better than last week, TR looked/showed us why we spent a #3 first round pick on him. i saw the OL get together and actually push TR like 7 yds down the field when he was stopped. we still need to block better. there (once again) were guys in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. that's just missed assignments which can be corrected. yeah there were a couple of plays that hurt us, the fumble and jones reurn. but how about the questionable call where the receiver for the bengals was awarded the catch when what i saw is the guy never had control with 2 feet down, then went out of bounds? rookie refs. but weeden was zinging them in there, throwing some sideline fades with touch which were right on the money. and massaquoi is looking like the receiver i always thought he could be.

and i'm not sure but didn't we have a couple of big plays called back because of holding or some other dumb penalty?

i haven't seen this team play this good since mangini left and he didn't have the same talent. these guys are going though growing pains. i think once they get a win under their belt their strength will grow through team unity. we just gotta keep these guys together and not lose anymore talent through injuries or FA.

When was the last game when our QB had a rating of 110 or better? And in that games, did the RB rush for over 100 yrds, and combine for 150 yrds with 2 TD's? Sorry, but I'm sticking with the bandwagon and our first round picks. Give this team 6 games to settle the rookies down and get some players back. I think the improvements will be incremental with every game played.

this week we lost, yeah. but did you really think we were going to be 8-8 or better this year? if you are a true browns fan and can't walk away from yesterday's game seeing a bunch of positives, you're either blind or you're a steeler's troll. weeden was head and shoulders better than last week, TR looked/showed us why we spent a #3 first round pick on him. i saw the OL get together and actually push TR like 7 yds down the field when he was stopped. we still need to block better. there (once again) were guys in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. that's just missed assignments which can be corrected. yeah there were a couple of plays that hurt us, the fumble and jones reurn. but how about the questionable call where the receiver for the bengals was awarded the catch when what i saw is the guy never had control with 2 feet down, then went out of bounds? rookie refs. but weeden was zinging them in there, throwing some sideline fades with touch which were right on the money. and massaquoi is looking like the receiver i always thought he could be.

and i'm not sure but didn't we have a couple of big plays called back because of holding or some other dumb penalty?

^+1 This team needs another CB besides Joe Haden, and better LBs other than Jackson who had another stellar game.

They have to get those replacement officials retired pronto- there were bad calls galore, not only in the Browns game. Football Sunday night showed a play in the Steelers -Jets where one of the Jets wrs got flagrantly tackled, and no call?

The PacMan TD was a result of guys not staying in their lanes- and the Hawkins TD was a busted play where our CB over ran, and tried to get contain on Dalton, who he thought was going to run.

A mediocre football team that was in the playoffs last year and is being picked by a lot of people to be in the playoffs again this year. I'd rather see a win but considering how shitty we have looked for years, it was an entertaining game and we actually have some playmakers on this team.

no, they are not generally thought of as a playoff team this year. After week 1 there o/u for wins was 7.5.....that's not the o/u of a playoff team.

They are generally thought of as an average at best team.

Im sure you enjoyed last years prolific offense that Colt McFrye led right? All those 10 and 12 point totals.

Some people will find anything to bitch about..

ummm...I hardly think a fairly convincing loss to a mediocre team is an unrealistic thing to 'bitch about'.

And no, the browns under colt mccoy were not good either. In fact he sucked/sucks. I have no interest in getting into a colt/weeden debate because I will freely admit they both suck. Trying to figure out which one sucks more is a meaningless exercise.

There is absolutely no way of knowing whether or not Weeden sucks at this point. 2 NFL starts is not even close to being enough to make that judgement. He certainly sucked in week 1. I was there and saw just how bad the suckage was. Last week he looked like a guy who has the abilities to be a very good QB. After a season and a half of Colt and his noodle arm throws and piss poor decisions, we all know what he is, he's a career backup. Nice work if you can get it.

You can say it's a fairly convincing loss....you can also say that a glass is half empty. Some people choose to find the positives. I think for a team that is widely being predicted as the worst team in the NFL to play a team on the road that made the playoffs last year (and being predicted to be there again by some) close and be in the game in the 4th quarter, is a positive and something to build on. I can pretty much guarentee that if last years team falls behind like we did this past week, the game isn't a 7 point loss or even a 10 point loss if you want to throw out the late FG.

Archived