THE BROWNS BOARD

The Anti-Free Speech Movement

OldBrownsFan

UC Berkeley, birthplace of the Free Speech Movement, has stabbed free speech in the back once again.

Last week it effectively canceled a long planned speech by David Horowitz. Today it canceled a long planned speech by Ann Coulter scheduled for April 27.

As they did with Horowitz, UC officials, citing safety concerns, first tried to bureaucratically shrink the Coulter speech out of existence by informing Young Americans for Freedom, sponsors of the event, that Coulter could speak only in the afternoon when students were in classes; that only students could attend; and, in a Kafkaesque twist, that the location of the speech would be distant from the center of campus and not be announced until just before it occurred.

Coulter agreed to these conditions. But she added two stipulations that called the bureaucrats’ bluff that this was about public safety rather than the suppression of the free speech of conservatives. She asked that the Chancellor not require police to stand down in the face of anticipated violence by thugs, as he has in the past; and she asked that the UC administration make it clear than any student trying violently to disrupt the speech would be expelled.

The University replied by cancelling Coulter’s speech outright.

Berkeley officials are no doubt congratulating themselves that they have dodged another bullet and that the smokescreen created by their histrionic concerns for “public safety” will conceal their unwillingness to defend free speech and prevent their campus from being cleansed of conservative ideas.

They are as cowardly as they are hypocritical. A few weeks ago, their campus police stood by and allowed masked thugs to disrupt an appearance by Milo Yiannopoulos, committing over a hundred thousand dollars worth of university property while violently attacking bystanders. A week ago, campus police chief Andrew Yao took the lead in creating the conditions—an infeasible time, a distant off campus venue, and the requirement of a “security fee” of over five thousand dollars—that forced the cancellation of David Horowitz’s speech.

At Berkeley, those who should protect public safety and prevent violence and intimidation on campus, in other words, create the Orwellian rules that avert crisis by preventing speech. They are the gravediggers of freedom.

Only the left has free speech rights at UC Berkeley. Tenured radicals on the faculty will continue to make their classrooms into indoctrination chambers without impediment. Members of groups like Students for Justice in Palestine, a front group for the Hamas terrorists, will never have to worry that their hate speech will be curtailed, or that their anti Semitic speakers will be quarantined in a distant location. Far from having to post a “security fee,” this organization receives campus funding.

Groups such as the SJP will continue to spread their rancid ideology without inhibition or opposition because those who might challenge them are forbidden from speaking.

By threatening to return in force if someone expresses views they disagree with, the masked thugs UC bureaucrats and their police force allowed to trash the university now write the rules. By appeasing them, the school’s administrators have created the nation’s most powerful Anti Free Speech Movement and spit in the face of Berkeley’s own history and traditions.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/266457/anti-free-speech-movement-frontpage-editors

It is a good thing we have a constitution Cleve because many on the left don't seem to grasp the concept of free speech. You don't shut down speech you don't like or disagree with you counter it with more speech. A concept the morons at many liberal colleges don't understand.

They are as cowardly as they are hypocritical

and there are some on this board who think home schooled kids are a problem?

all the wisdom a public education gives you is wrapped up in this example of the left education elites

desire to graduate out like minded dumbed down insecure children..... (the leadership certainly are)

Give me a home schooled kid and Ill show you someone who can think and decide for themselves

choose higher learning from a private (dare I say) Christian college.

Give me a home schooled kid and Ill show you someone who can think and decide for themselves

Nice sweeping generalization but ur talkin out yer arsehole. Im around home schooled children constantly and the results are mixed to say the least. The amt of variables we're talking about here before we even get to the children themselves, is substantial.

The end results still remain to be seen. Homescooled kids have a distinct proclivity to be behind their regular schooled counterparts. But at the same time they're not subjected to the grade school environments of trying to conform so as not to stand our and be bullied for it. So i see the pro's. But if the parents arent good dilligent teachers the negatives very very quickly begin to surface. Theres a reason teachers have to get training to be.......u know......teachers.

They are as cowardly as they are hypocritical

and there are some on this board who think home schooled kids are a problem?

all the wisdom a public education gives you is wrapped up in this example of the left education elites

desire to graduate out like minded dumbed down insecure children..... (the leadership certainly are)

choose higher learning from a private (dare I say) Christian college.

I disagree with a good portion of this.

But I know the narrative. All public college students = the minority of SJW liberal arts students and Academia = bad.

Nice sweeping generalization but ur talkin out yer arsehole. Im around home schooled children constantly and the results are mixed to say the least. The amt of variables we're talking about here before we even get to the children themselves, is substantial.

The end results still remain to be seen. Homescooled kids have a distinct proclivity to be behind their regular schooled counterparts. But at the same time they're not subjected to the grade school environments of trying to conform so as not to stand our and be bullied for it. So i see the pro's. But if the parents arent good dilligent teachers the negatives very very quickly begin to surface. Theres a reason teachers have to get training to be.......u know......teachers.

The bottom line with homeschooling does reside with the parents who teach their children. Most parents will likely do well with homeschooling their children though because they care enough to homeschool instead of just shipping the kids off to public school. If they care enough to homeschool the chances are good they will care enough to be good homeschool teachers.

The bottom line with homeschooling does reside with the parents who teach their children. Most parents will likely do well with homeschooling their children though because they care enough to homeschool instead of just shipping the kids off to public school. If they care enough to homeschool the chances are good they will care enough to be good homeschool teachers.

Oh, well that's good. All they need to do is care enough and they can be good teachers. I mean, just care hard enough and I'm sure your kid will get physics.

Oh, well that's good. All they need to do is care enough and they can be good teachers. I mean, just care hard enough and I'm sure your kid will get physics.

At least when you homeschool you know what you are getting. You don't have any idea what kind of teacher you will have in public school. Maybe good maybe bad.

Firing teachers: mission impossible

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/firing-teachers-mission-impossible-article-1.1615003

Rauner email: Half of CPS teachers 'virtually illiterate'

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-bruce-rauner-cps-teachers-met-0722-20160721-story.html

Thats quite an assumption obf. None of the parents that i onow who home school "dont care", but the results are still mixed. Some of the kids i know, i have serious reservations they'll be able to pass the hs entrance exams. They may end up being 16 yr old freshmens.

oh, BS.

We have relatives and friends who were homeschooled and they aced their tests to get into college.

Give it a rest. And homeschoolers, AGAIN, get together with other home schooler groups and have

social activities. Sometimes they will go to a public hs and cheer on the local football team, etc.

It's just more painting an ignorant picture for poliltical argument. LIke semi-auto rifles are machine guns....

Liberals love emotionally-serving false narratives. It's getting old around the whole country. See the republican gains.

I don't know many people who home school their kids. Probably not much reason to in a suburban environment because the schools are usually OK. One family I know are christians and performing a family bluegrass band. The band is great. The kids most of them grown now when on to attend Hillsdale college, graduated with honors and are doing very well. Another situation Involves a kid who is an a****** and can't get along with anybody at public school. The mom likes to pretend is special but mostly I think she just wants to sit on our a** all day with the kid.

WSS

I have seen way more of the homeschool kids crashing and burning the first time they are away from home than I have ones who thrived. Anecdotal, yes, but they just weren't socially adjusted and never had much freedom. They either hole up in their dorm rooms, get depressed, and head back home or someone hands them their first beer and they fall off the edge.

I have seen way more of the homeschool kids crashing and burning the first time they are away from home than I have ones who thrived. Anecdotal, yes, but they just weren't socially adjusted and never had much freedom. They either hole up in their dorm rooms, get depressed, and head back home or someone hands them their first beer and they fall off the edge.

Sounds about right logic. Allow me to speculate that it's a little bit like the parents who never allow their kids outside to play in the dirt Or with other kids and constantly used hand sanitizer. They never develop a natural immunity to any of the s*** outside. Most of the time going to public school allows kids to get used to the fact that they will really have to deal with a lot of a******* in the real world.

WSS

Sounds about right logic. Allow me to speculate that it's a little bit like the parents who never allow their kids outside to play in the dirt Or with other kids and constantly used hand sanitizer. They never develop a natural immunity to any of the s*** outside. Most of the time going to public school allows kids to get used to the fact that they will really have to deal with a lot of a******* in the real world.

WSS

There are two sides to this coin. Sure when you shelter children they will eventually have to face the real world but the goal is only to give the young a stronger foundation. We only thought things were bad when I was growing up. The young today face way more.

I heard a minister once say from the pulpit he recommended all high school graduates wait one year before going to college after graduating. In that time to get a job and an apartment and get acquainted with how the real world works. He said as well he saw too many times what happens when children who have been sheltered get shipped off to college and are not prepared. I thought it was good advice.

There are two sides to this coin. Sure when you shelter children they will eventually have to face the real world but the goal is only to give the young a stronger foundation. We only thought things were bad when I was growing up. The young today face way more.

I heard a minister once say from the pulpit he recommended all high school graduates wait one year before going to college after graduating. In that time to get a job and an apartment and get acquainted with how the real world works. He said as well he saw too many times what happens when children who have been sheltered get shipped off to college and are not prepared. I thought it was good advice.

Eh, idk. How will that affect your college admissions? Scholarship chances? Etc. That may be looked down upon.

Assuming nothing is preventing​ you (money, etc), I don't see why you would wait. Why get an apartment, furniture, job, and more to walk away from it in a year to go to school. You also have to hope you aren't "over" school by then and can still buckle down and study. Not only will college be harder than HS, but you haven't even done high school work in a year.

sorry for my late entry but not gonna debate the negatives regarding what you disagree with whats best for the kid - especially the social aspect.

Im not a product of home school - dont have credentials to teach (which I believe should be required) but have a sister in law who did it for her kids

and didnt see any negatives. They all (3) thrived and shared the portions of curricullum with other families. They live in Indiana, participate in track with local HS.

I went to both highly rated public (suburb) and inner city schools in Mpls and the MAIN reason I think home school is better for the student will be keeping them focused

to learning. Yes social standing in HS is way overrated here - I had trouble and wished for such a chance at being home schooled in hindsight.....

I cannot for the life of me understand the ( as woody described) - SJW liberal arts idiots who "evolved" into what we are seeing in these liberal thought factories.

which was the reason of my rant against Berkley story. so Im sorry OBF :(

I'd also wonder about homeschool kids taking honors and advanced classes. Sure, it is one thing to do well on standardized tests that maybe get up to trig (based on what data is reported, maybe homeschoolers that dont do well aren't sending the data on. Or if they're taking it without assistance, etc) but what about going beyond that? Slim chance your parent knows how to teach or explain AP Calc. So you have an online course. What kind of support do you get there?

Small anecdotal evidence from college:

- Homeschool kids seemed a little off

- Private school kids seemed full of themselves

I'd also wonder about homeschool kids taking honors and advanced classes. Sure, it is one thing to do well on standardized tests that maybe get up to trig (based on what data is reported, maybe homeschoolers that dont do well aren't sending the data on. Or if they're taking it without assistance, etc) but what about going beyond that? Slim chance your parent knows how to teach or explain AP Calc. So you have an online course. What kind of support do you get there?

Small anecdotal evidence from college:

- Homeschool kids seemed a little off

- Private school kids seemed full of themselves

Most of the time, except for the one example I gave of the bluegrass band, I think that's probably true Or at-least I agree in general. I guess by-and-large private school kids have parents who care a little bit more, at-least enough to make the investment, and private schools are probably better than a lot of public schools. So they might have some reason for pride.

Then again there is nothing wrong with bragging about going to a better school is there woody?

:)

WSS

Yeeahh, I don't think you can say parents that send their kids to private schools "care more" about their kids than parents that send them to public schools. It just means they can afford it.

Well, see, those kids just go to private school cuz their parents can afford it. I had to get accepted to Michigan........ and my parents could afford it haha.

No no, I see what you're attempting here. It isn't the same thing, but I'm not gonna do the back and forth with the half troll comments. I assume you know what I actually mean, and I'll leave it at that.

Archived