THE BROWNS BOARD

Most important position VS least

Manzier

Im sure we all have opinions on the most important and the least important positions on the field. And, as a team sport, we can all agree that EVERY position is important at some level. But I have spent a good bit of time researching opinions and position rankings and came up with some thoughts and some good reads.

My interest is primarily due to all the WR talk and personal opinion is that WR is wayyyyy low on the list. Bottom line is touches and WR's can only directly affect a few plays a game(outside of being decoys).

Here's a link to an article that I agree pretty strongly with. They are saying the top 4 positions that have the greatest impact are:

http://www.operationsports.com/Brendan%20Darr/blog/21263-the-most-important-positions-in-football

#4 Nose Tackle: yep. we drafted Mr. Taylor in the first round.

#3 Corner Back: whoops. Looks like the Browns got it right again. We drafted BOTH of ours first round again-(priorities priorities)

#2 Quarter Back: yep. I think we just drafted one ala First round.

#1 Left Tackle: oh my, we only have the best one there is.

So, basically, just sayin we are heading in the right direction, no matter what the Buffatrolls say.

The least important? Thats a tough one, but the consensus seems to lean toward outside LB and DE as the 2 that make the least impact over a whole game or season. Odd, cause thats where we seem weakest right now.

First, love "Buffatrolls"... well done.

Second, initial reaction is shock that MLB/ ILB does not crack the top 4.

I found several lists and they all favored inside vs outside.

Meaning interior DEF linemen were rated higher than DE's. And ILB were rated WAY higher than OLB's.

I suspect just being in the middle gets you more opportunities to make a difference on every play. And being outside leaves you standing on the fringe for a lot of plays. .

Shock that pass rusher doesn't make the list, and shock that NT does.

It strikes me as trying to be a bit too cute - like the NT, needs to clog up lanes, command double teams etc to allow the other players to go and make a play. Well, if the other players are rubbish, then you get nothing. They work in tandem. And the LT is extremely important, because he keeps your QB upright - meaning that your QB is more important.

My house is more important than my insurance.

Shock that pass rusher doesn't make the list, and shock that NT does.

It strikes me as trying to be a bit too cute - like the NT, needs to clog up lanes, command double teams etc to allow the other players to go and make a play. Well, if the other players are rubbish, then you get nothing. They work in tandem. And the LT is extremely important, because he keeps your QB upright - meaning that your QB is more important.

My house is more important than my insurance.

I dont question that QB is the most important position either. How could it not be? So your point makes sense to me.

Reading between the lines, I do think it may be harder to actually score an elite LT than it is to score an elite QB. There's an argument there, as I can count more franchise QB's than I can count elite left tackles(I think).

It does seem like the top LT and QB are always the first players drafted

I dont question that QB is the most important position either. How could it not be? So your point makes sense to me.

Reading between the lines, I do think it may be harder to actually score an elite LT than it is to score an elite QB. There's an argument there, as I can count more franchise QB's than I can count elite left tackles(I think).

It does seem like the top LT and QB are always the first players drafted

That might be because elite QBs get every headline imaginable, while elite linemen's job is not to appear on highlight reels.

That list can change depending on the makeup of the team....except the QB. There ahve been teams that made it far with a "game manager" type QB. But nobody went anywhere with a shovel passing idiot like Weedon, just for example. After that though the order can be flipped..just depends on the personnel. Years ago everyone agreed that offensive tackles were the next most important positions on the field after QB. Now, although I don't agree, people think tackles are a dime a dozen and you don't draft one in the 1st round.

Years ago everyone agreed that offensive tackles were the next most important positions on the field after QB. Now, although I don't agree, people think tackles are a dime a dozen and you don't draft one in the 1st round.

Do you just make this stuff up?

I honestly can't take anything you say seriously.

2014 draft had tackles taken at #2-#6-#11

2013 draft had tackles taken at #1-#2-#4 and #11......so, 3 out of the top 4 picks were tackles, but "everyone" thinks tackles are dime a dozen?

Whatta joke.

Hey dude I wasn't agreeing with it..but every year you hear people talking on radio and TV how tackles have become overrated and you don't need to waste a high pick on them. I stated I don't agree. Hell I read that same crap from people here. There's a couple guys here that agreed with tackles aren't that important sentiment. To be clear again...."I" "DO" "NOT" "AGREE"

do a quick google search for articles that state tackles are overrated.

Hey dude I wasn't agreeing with it..but every year you hear people talking on radio and TV how tackles have become overrated and you don't need to waste a high pick on them. I stated I don't agree. Hell I read that same crap from people here. There's a couple guys here that agreed with tackles aren't that important sentiment. To be clear again...."I" "DO" "NOT" "AGREE"

Ok, thats cool 'dewd'. But rather than listen to talking heads on TV and radio, why not just look at the facts?? And if you dont even agree, then why say it at all???

Good LT's are always on the top of the draft list. Wouldn't that be more representative of what real football people think? Or should we be paying more attention to what TV people think over what NFL GM's actually do??

Heck, Im still chewing on your insane Sammy Watkins thread and continued claims on how bad Carlos Dansby is.

It appears we have polar opposite opinions on most of this stuff. So, please excuse me if I take it all with a grain of salt.

and continued claims on how bad Carlos Dansby is.

Oh I'm off that nigga's nuts, he's the best linebacker that ever played the game. I just don't understand football very well despite playing it. The inside linebackers have no responsibility when it comes to run defense so I have no idea what I was going on about before. Dansby's like all titty's and shit. Why would a linebacker be around the ball carrier? And not only that, why would a middle linebacker actually put hands on a ball carrier? So undignified. Sir Dansby's doing exactly what we pay him to do, run around the field where the guy with the ball isn't....not sure why i expressed any problem with that cause that's a good job out of him.

Personally there is no way i'd place left tackle over quarterback. You can have the best left tackle in the game and a marginal quarterback or the best quarterback and a marginal left tackle and I'd bet my house you'd be more likely to win with the best qb and the marginal tackle 9 times out of ten. I also disagree on corner because it's obvious this season the NFL has done everything in it's power to favor the offense. Flags are flying left and right every game with A LOT of illegal hands to the face, contact after 5 yards etc. I think it's the very reason you saw and still see Seattle struggle a little bit this season. They have big physical corners and those corners aren't able to bump and run as aggressively as they did last season.

I'd say

1. QB

2. Left Tackle

3. Nose tackle (especially in the 3-4)

4. Corner back

Archived