THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the Super Bowl

Zombo

Well, the NFL got a pretty flavorful Super Bowl for their 50th Gala Event.

You can hitch your wagon to the Denver Broncos, who have never been considered the NFL's "Best" team all year, but they just kept plodding along. After starting the season at 7-0, they were in danger of missing the playoffs entirely at 10-4 with two weeks to go ... but they had two home games left and squeezed out a 20-17 overtime win against the Bengals (missing their QB) and the lowly Chargers, 27-20.

That gave them a two-week rest and homefield throughout the playoffs, where they mustered wins against the Steelers (23-16) and Patriots (20-18). Nothing spectacular ... Unless you enjoy watching the best defense in the entire NFL and the Swan Song of one of the Greatest NFL QBs in history.

Yes, the Broncos are all about Peyton Manning. At least that is what one would think. Everywhere I have gone the past couple weeks I would hear: "Well I want to see Peyton Manning ride off into the sunset with a victory, but I think Carolina will be too much for them.

Peyton Manning has been to the SB four times, two each with two different franchises, and, remarkably, with four different head coaches. No one has thrown for more yards, or more touchdowns, in the history of the game. Five MVPs, 7 First-team All Pro selections, a million Pro Bowls, and even a Comeback Player of the Year Award. He has done it all. But this flutterball thrower is not the same player we have seen before. What a difference two years makes:

In 2013, when Manning led the 13-3 Broncos to the Super Bowl his season stats were:

450 c 659 a 68.3% 5,477 yards 55 TD 10 Ints 115.1 rating

at age 37, he had perhaps the greatest regular season of any QB in history.

In 2015, Manning leads the 12-4 Broncs to the Super Bowl and after missing seven starts his stats are:

198 c 331 a 59.8% 2,249 yards 9 TDs 17 INTs 67.9 rating

at age 39 he is beaten up and broken down ... but still winning ... til the end?

Or, you can hitch your wagon to the Team of the Year ... the Carolina Panthers.

Who are these guys that have Peyton's fans so scared? They are a tough and determined collection of top talent that just simply rolls everybody. They have won 19 out of their last 20 regular season games, and in the playoffs they have taken on two formidable foes in the Hawks and Cards, and had them both destroyed by a combined 55-7 by halftime.

They have a Super Bowl worthy defense, but it is their offense, led by NFL MVP Cam Newton, that just outscores everybody.

In his fifth year under center, Newton has blossomed from a solid player to a Superstar. He is 6'6" 260 lbs with an arm like Aikman and legs like Young. He is Ben Roethlisberger on steroids. (Ok ... Ben Roethlisberger is Ben Roethlisberger on steroids ... but you get the point)

If you are a younger fan, this is the team of NOW. You are watching this machine, like we watched the 85 Bears thinking that they are just going to steamroll everybody, including the Broncos.

If you are an older fan, you remember that every winning streak ends with a loss and the 98 Vikings, 04 Steelers and 07 Patriots all ended their seasons with heartbreak. And you are probably hoping Peyton Manning rides off in to the sunset ... but you are a little scared for him against this team.

Carolina Panthers vs.Denver Broncos Super Bowl 50, 6:30 PM

So two schools of thought: It's a Carolina game where they blow you out before you know what hits you and good luck coming all the way back. Or it's a Denver game where you dragged into a slugfest and last one with the ball probably wins. It'll be a Dever game. And the reason will be Wade Phillips' #1 rated defense. If ever a coach should go to the HOF based on what he could do as an assistant ... this is the guy. This is a tougher defense than Cam and the Panthers have seen all year and the pass rush will not make things easy for him. Manning, on the other hand, will have his hands full with Luke Kuechly and the gang. This will not be a score fest. It'll be in the low 20's with Denver's Defense getting the ball in Manning's hands one last time as time winds down ... and he delivers. BRONCOS 24 PANTHERS 23

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Entering the SB 6-4 straight up and 5-5 vs. spread... here's one for the road...

Carolina @ Denver (+4.5)

Really no need to complicate this one...

#1 offense vs. #4 defense one way...

#19 offense vs. #6 defense the other.

I see CAR TDs every way... passing... running... Defense... STs...

Prediction: CAR 41 DNV 17

Regardless of the outcome it's been a blast once again, Z...

Panthers do seem to be on a roll and Peytons SB history is suspect at best....so Im thinking the Panthers win going away....

That Denver D better show up big(like last game) if they have any hope.....

It would be nice to see Peyton take that trophy and ride off into the sunset though....Im pulling for him

Panthers do seem to be on a roll and Peytons SB history is suspect at best....so Im thinking the Panthers win going away....

That Denver D better show up big(like last game) if they have any hope.....

It would be nice to see Peyton take that trophy and ride off into the sunset though....Im pulling for him

That's what I'd like to see as well.

Denver 23

Carolina 20 in OT...

once again...........hate the broncs and hate the new era 'swag' of some brashish corrupt punk qb.

rooting for injuries.

only way broncos win is if the denver D can knock newton out of the game.

i'll take osweiller all day over anderson. but:

panthers steamroll the broncs 44-17, and that's with rivera telling them to put on the brakes.

and i hope elway chokes on his pretzles while swigging down a coors. fuck that fuck.

once again...........hate the broncs and hate the new era 'swag' of some brashish corrupt punk qb.

rooting for injuries.

only way broncos win is if the denver D can knock newton out of the game.

i'll take osweiller all day over anderson. but:

panthers steamroll the broncs 44-17, and that's with rivera telling them to put on the brakes.

and i hope elway jokes on his pretzles while swigging down a coors. fuck that fuck.

Awesome

The game so far has shown why like I've said all along defensive line is EASILY the 1a position of need for a football team. Both team have a great Defensive line but Denver has been dominant against arguably the 1st and 2nd best QBs this year. I think the new scheme gets it but if 2 of our top picks this year were on the defensive line I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

The game so far has shown why like I've said all along defensive line is EASILY the 1a position of need for a football team. Both team have a great Defensive line but Denver has been dominant against arguably the 1st and 2nd best QBs this year. I think the new scheme gets it but if 2 of our top picks this year were on the defensive line I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

Amen agree 100%

Archived