THE BROWNS BOARD

Guns.....who's got em? whatcha got? what's your current favorite?

marcus

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dream Guns

Turnbull lever action in 50-110 (reproduction of Winchester 1886)

Turnbull or other lever in 45-110 - this would be a custom - A longer bolt would need to be machined, The receiver would need to be cut/lengthened and welded and it would take someone with some knowledge to "time" the gun.

A Winchester 1885 falling block (single shot) or Marlin/Ballard falling block - again in 45-110

Ruger 454 Casull Super Blackhawk (5 shot, marketed only by Lipseys)

As far as new fangled self loaders, I'd like a Dragonov/SVD.

If I get another semi auto pistol it will be something in 10mm. Maybe a Remington longslide 1911 (6") or the Witness 10mm Hunter.

For those looking at AKs I would recommend DDI (Destructive Devices Incorporated) out of Tennessee.

• 7 months later...

Thought I might bring this one back to life, firearms a favorite subject of mine. :)

I don't know yet what upper caliber to buy for my AR15.

I'm thinkin the Creedmor 6.5 is it?

My concern is, the 5.56 is apparently very, very loud. I don't need that. But I want to take

out a coyote at 150 yards, I want it taken out. Can't do it with my .22 magnum.

I don't know yet what upper caliber to buy for my AR15.

I'm thinkin the Creedmor 6.5 is it?

My concern is, the 5.56 is apparently very, very loud. I don't need that. But I want to take

out a coyote at 150 yards, I want it taken out. Can't do it with my .22 magnum.

All rifle rounds are going to be loud. Creedmor is going to be as loud as a .308 and I can tell you that it has way more percussion than a .556.

Oh and a nice over/under 12 gauge Beretta just in case the watergun doesn't scare the intruder. :lol:

:lol: Yeah if the super soaker doesn’t scare them away the 12 ga generally will do the trick.

I have an old, cheap but still working 20 ga with one in the breech and two in the magazine that will suffice as a home defense weapon....with some BUGS naturally.

ah. thought it might be a lesser load... 300 blackout maybe?

crap. I could go with the new .22 Nosler, but I don't know. I really

like the idea of the sound suppressor. Neighbor has horses. Her horses

are fine with my .22s, but ... shooting across my field with a very solid safe

shot at a coyote... not gonna work well at all with a .22.

Don't have much of a clue about all the other calibers I've never owned.

I actually tried the supersoaker, borrowed from a neighbor kid, on a 30 yard shot at a

groundhog, but it just laughed, did this Caddyshack dance and dived into it's hole. dammit. :)

Fill it with cat piss.

WSS

Question how are you going to get the cat to piss in it? :huh:

You have to develop more of a relationship with your cat.

WSS

BTW-I had expert assistance in picking that particular supersoaker off of Amazon. My 9 y.o. grandson assured me is was one of the best he's used to "kill off" his cousins. After I heard that I put my western style .357 single action Ruger in a safe. :D

Question how are you going to get the cat to piss in it? :huh:

You have to develop more of a relationship with your cat.

WSS

:lol:

Oh yeah,

You: here cat piss in this, please.

Cat: you piss in it. (and walks away)

Are Democrats Dumb Enough To Go After The NRA Again?

(you bet)

http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/2017/08/12/democrats-dumb-enough-go-after-nra/

it's the best way to climb ranks in the Neo-communist democratic party.

The way things are now more people are getting security systems and other self protection things like firearms and other self defense weaponry.

So what's your favorite home or personal protection firearms?

I really need to upgrade some I like my revolvers but might get a new concelible small gun a better home shotgun or two. Hey some of the the new stuff is good.

Okay I have a shotgun and two pistols. Still I'm not foolish enough to think that any of them are great deterrent to a home invasion unless I've got plenty of time to go get them and make sure they are loaded. I don't know of anybody that walks around his house armed. Also if you have them in any kind of safety enclosure you are probably shit out of luck. So wear gun belt while you're at home. Keep it under your pillow loaded when you sleep. Does anybody really do that?

WSS

Okay I have a shotgun and two pistols. Still I'm not foolish enough to think that any of them are great deterrent to a home invasion unless I've got plenty of time to go get them and make sure they are loaded. I don't know of anybody that walks around his house armed. Also if you have them in any kind of safety enclosure you are probably shit out of luck. So wear gun belt while you're at home. Keep it under your pillow loaded when you sleep. Does anybody really do that?

WSS

Keep one loaded next to where you sleep (but not in plain view). Under the bed, in the end table, etc. Do you have an alarm system? I do, and it will go off loud as hell and directly to police. I found that out. I just had woken up, and entered the panic code vice the shut off code. 3 minutes later there are three cop cars and they are pounding on my door. Made me show them my drivers license. Said they had received the panic alarm. Now I make sure I drink at least a cup of coffee before shutting it off.

You can get a Honeywell vista 21ip or a DSC Pc1832 pretty easily with a wireless receiver built directly into the keypad. For DSC the keypad is an rfk5500 and trust an industry standard that has a proven track record of success or you can trust a Johnny-come-lately like simplisafe that sells directly and exclusively to DIYers. In any case, what you're really buying and paying for is the monitoring service. That is what you're actually paying for with a company like ADT or Siemens, or Vector or Guardian Alarm. The monthly fees are high because they employ their own call centers. You can get the service much cheaper by going with an independent call center like quick response or security central or COPS.

You can install any system yourself. I don't trust simplisafe.

Works great. Simplisafe uses COPs monitoring center.

Here's a review by CNET:

https://www.cnet.com/products/simplisafe-home-security/

They now also have cameras that will link to your smart phone so that you can look in on your place while your gone.

A few observations so far:

Professional security installation companies have to be feeling the heat from these simple but effective DIY ones.

I think I'd like at least a camera or two minimum what about recording to a hard drive? Cost to do that?

Using a cell phone or other device to access your system sounds good. Maybe even turn on lights, door bell, cost for that?

I might like NOT to have some stranger go through my house installing my system, too much information for them to have.

------------

Guns, if you do not have to lock them up quick access is no problem.

I know women that keep guns under pillows, in nightstands, in kitchen especially if they have been threatened.....to many have.

Archived