THE BROWNS BOARD

The Rg3 Bidding War Has Begun

runyon27

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't have a limit per se. I suppose it could get into the land of the ridiculous. But 4/22/37 + next years 3 doesn't scare me. I'd start to get nervous if you're looking at 3 #1s. But I don't think it'll get that far.

I look at it this way, regardless of who else they draft, if the Browns land a "franchise quarterback" in 2012, it's be best draft they've had in 20 years. So, what else really matters at that point?

-jj

Thanks- but if what I heard on ESPN is true tonight,- Redskins 2 first rounders + two other picks, it may well get into the land of the ridiculous real fast.

What "else" could matter is, assuming they can re-sign Hillis is who's he going to throw the ball to? The "experts" say Little is a nice #2 wr. So I'd also appreciate your take on the state of the Browns current WR (corpse). Pun intended- I think you can figure out my take on them.

MHO if we give up the ranch to get RGIII, he'd better be more than just "pretty good" like Flacco is, or Kosar was. I want upper echelon HOF- the next Farve, Montana, Elway, Marino, or (Peyton) Manning- anything less isn't worth it. OTOH, if we get that level of player- it really doesn't matter what we're giving up to get him.

PS- I don't text. :)

I'd give both number 1's this year, a 4th this year, and a 3rd next year.

That leaves us with one round without a pick, next years #3..

I just wouldn't do it this soon. It would have to be draft day...or day before.

During this silly workout season, if Griffin OR Luck got hurt in a serious way, we'd be holding a very expensive #2 pick that wouldn't be worth what we had in it.

I don't have time to scroll back up and see if someone has already posted this from National Football Authority Senior writer Bear Heiser regarding RG3 according to a "League source:"

"The Cleveland Browns have been the favorite to land the pick, given they arguably have the most ammunition. Per the league source, Cleveland has offered the No. 4 overall pick, two second round picks and a fifth round pick, but not the No. 22 overall pick. However, if the No. 22 overall pick is a must for the Rams, while reluctant, the Browns would likely be willing to include it.

Another team with an offer on the table is the Washington Redskins. According to the source, Mike Shanahan's team has offered the No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks, along with a third round pick and a second round pick in the 2013 draft."

I don't have time to scroll back up and see if someone has already posted this from National Football Authority Senior writer Bear Heiser regarding RG3 according to a "League source:"

"The Cleveland Browns have been the favorite to land the pick, given they arguably have the most ammunition. Per the league source, Cleveland has offered the No. 4 overall pick, two second round picks and a fifth round pick, but not the No. 22 overall pick. However, if the No. 22 overall pick is a must for the Rams, while reluctant, the Browns would likely be willing to include it.

Another team with an offer on the table is the Washington Redskins. According to the source, Mike Shanahan's team has offered the No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks, along with a third round pick and a second round pick in the 2013 draft."

Someone tell me it aint so! To think that we have so many needs and that Holmgren and Heckert would make such a foolish move like this.

its a good starting point. there's a bit of added risk in the redskins trade tho....presumably, the rams could miss out on the guy they're targeting, if it is in fact, kahlil or blackmon. a fifth this year, or a third next.....i dunno. the rams could really screw this up.

Someone tell me it aint so! To think that we have so many needs and that Holmgren and Heckert would make such a foolish move like this.

one of those biggest needs happen to be at QB. we're not winning anything till we solidify that position.

1 first, 2 seconds and a fifth doesnt seem that bad really. IF (and yes its a big if) RGIII is the franchise QB, you are giving up pretty much 3 picks so we dont have to worry about a QB for the next 10 years (5th rounders are usually crap shoots, not a big a deal).. I do it in a heartbeat.. We'd still have 2 firsts, a 3rd, two 4ths, and then the 6th and 7th rounders this year, thats plenty. Plus, I think FAs would be much more likely to come to Cleveland with RGIII there..

Technically it's 2 first round picks since we are swapping 4 for 2.

I think you put too much value on draft picks and not enough value on quarterback.

No, I value a franchise qb highly. I think both first rounders, the high fourth, and next years second is plenty to move up two spots. Plus, from the Rams perspective they get one of the players they need- Kalil or Blackmon- something they won't get with the Washington deal.

I'd give both number 1's this year, a 4th this year, and a 3rd next year.

That leaves us with one round without a pick, next years #3..

I just wouldn't do it this soon. It would have to be draft day...or day before.

During this silly workout season, if Griffin OR Luck got hurt in a serious way, we'd be holding a very expensive #2 pick that wouldn't be worth what we had in it.

Yes no need to commit to anything until the time frame you mentioned, a lot is going to happen between now and the draft.

one of those biggest needs happen to be at QB. we're not winning anything till we solidify that position.

I agree we will always be at the bottom of the division without improved QB play. I think Colt can play better but I think he is close to his ceiling already. You must have a franchise QB if you want to win a SB, we don't have one. Doesn't matter how good the rest of the team is, without a top tier QB we aren't winning anything. If the FO believe RG3 is a franchise guy you have to look at acquiring him. I can't say what is too much, but sometimes short term pain is worth long term gain. On the flipside if he were to bust and we gave up a lot then we would never hear the end of it.

Archived