THE BROWNS BOARD

The Pistol

LogicIsForSquares

Before Manziel was made starter, I don't recall the offense using it that often. It seemed like the Bengals d-line was at the handoff whenever they tried to run the pistol. I know it probably caters to Manziel's abilities but it fucked everything up and I don't think it will work at the pro level. It will get the kid murdered.

Tour, you would know more than most, how often did the team use the Pistol before Manziel got placed into the lineup?

Before Manziel was made starter, I don't recall the offense using it that often. It seemed like the Bengals d-line was at the handoff whenever they tried to run the pistol. I know it probably caters to Manziel's abilities but it fucked everything up and I don't think it will work at the pro level. It will get the kid murdered.

Tour, you would know more than most, how often did the team use the Pistol before Manziel got placed into the lineup?

Until this week Pistol use has probably been less than five times a game. We've seen it a little more recently as the "Power Pistol" was unveiled, adding an offset FB or HB to the formation. Without a doubt Sunday set a new record for the formation.

I do note the sets for every play. If I have time I'll flip through the pages and do a count. But first I have the 2nd half of the IND game to finish grading as well as the CIN rematch.

From what I remember we used pistol a lot more in the first few games. As the season went on with hoyer we used it less and less. My theory is that as the team was learning the offense (earlier in the year) they used a set that more basic plays are ran from. As the team progressed and learned it was used less. Switching to JF made us need to go back to a more basic and limited offense, hence more plays from the pistol. It is also JF strong formation, or is supposed to be at least.

Not sure how on or off this assessment may be, but its what I thought.

Wish they would've ran the offense Hoyer ran. Seemed like everyone was off on offense. Timing and everything

I Totally agree. I will admit JM looked like shit and at times he looked way over whelmed. This is just my observation tho, the total offense looked like they were all confused, and not on the same page. I believe its because they went pistol and read option so much, the line and everyone else was not familiar in playing that style. So my blame is more on the staff that they played a style the O was not used to playing. Go back to the original style, and let JM scramble and ad-lib if needed. Just My 2 cents.

True, bb... but I had the impression that JM had more success under center. Certainly seemed like his play action while dropping had more impact than his keeps off the read from the Pistol.

Anyway looks like Leg gets the memory award...

After very early, impassioned affair with the pistol, we put it away for the most part except for a little flirting. Usually in situations where we were behind... Dawggie style?

Week-Pistols/Plays

01 - 21/67 - @PTG

02 - 12/75 - NO

03 - 6/62 -- BLT

05 - 5/78 -- @TN

06 - 1/59 -- PTG

07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

08 - 3/56 -- OAK

09 - 1/65 -- TB

10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

11 - 4/72 -- HOU

12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

14 - 2/38 at the half vs. IND

15 -

Complete Wks 14 & 15 to come... maybe tomorrow.

Ultimately he probably is, Leg...

Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

Week-Pistols/Plays

01 - 21/67 - @PTG

02 - 12/75 - NO

03 - 6/62 -- BLT

05 - 5/78 -- @TN

06 - 1/59 -- PTG

07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

08 - 3/56 -- OAK

09 - 1/65 -- TB

10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

11 - 4/72 -- HOU

12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

14 - 2/38 at the half vs. IND

15 -

Complete Wks 14 & 15 to come... maybe tomorrow.

Curious..... is it tomorrow yet? :)

Haha.....appreciate all you do, so no rush....but still wondering....how many pistol formations last week????

Curious..... is it tomorrow yet? :)

Haha.....appreciate all you do, so no rush....but still wondering....how many pistol formations last week????

I can send you a PM with my PayPal addy... :)

This past week, as you are likely now aware, our Pistol count was:

Week 15 22/42 vs. CIN ... Even added a "Full-House" pistol.

Also ran 2 in IND's 2nd half for a total of 4/64.

And Ever... I saw a grand total of 2 read-options vs. CIN.

The first JM kept after a gross misread, and the DE buried him.

The second was a near disaster as West bobbled the ball on his way to an 8-yard gain.

A few other Pistols had Read-option looks, but weren't. They were either predetermined hand-offs or PAP calls.

I can send you a PM with my PayPal addy... :)

This past week, as you are likely now aware, our Pistol count was:

Week 15 22/42 vs. CIN ... Even added a "Full-House" pistol.

Also ran 2 in IND's 2nd half for a total of 4/64.

And Ever... I saw a grand total of 2 read-options vs. CIN.

The first JM kept after a gross misread, and the DE buried him.

The second was a near disaster as West bobbled the ball on his way to an 8-yard gain.

A few other Pistols had Read-option looks, but weren't. They were either predetermined hand-offs or PAP calls.

Great thanks.....so compiled....

01 - 21/67 - @PTG

02 - 12/75 - NO

03 - 6/62 -- BLT

05 - 5/78 -- @TN

06 - 1/59 -- PTG

07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

08 - 3/56 -- OAK

09 - 1/65 -- TB

10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

11 - 4/72 -- HOU

12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

14 - 4/64 -- @ Indy

15 - 22/42 -- @Cinn

Wow! Big difference.....

So, ima guess this is an attempt to "utilize" JFF's special skills? As opposed to asking him to perform more like a prototype pocket QB?

I know Ive heard many say we should adopt a special offensive system that highlights his strengths and all....but now maybe they're saying "why did we change things up for Johnny?"....I dunno...

So, this week do we go back to the Hoyer style offense and not use JFF's skills?....or do we stick with the JFF's Special offense and put him(and the team) in a difficult position because it's not what Hoyer had??

Great thanks.....so compiled....

Except IND and CIN were home games...

The pistol has been neck and neck with the I as our least effective set all year. It's high use rate had to contribute to our poor showing vs. CIN. It certainly did nothing to showcase JM's skills, which is the only plausible reason to use it.

The Pistol is a significantly weaker platform for play-action and it absolutely eliminates bootlegs. Both have been staples of this offense all year. Sprinkle it in? Sure. Feature it? No....

Except IND and CIN were home games...

The pistol has been neck and neck with the I as our least effective set all year. It's high use rate had to contribute to our poor showing vs. CIN. It certainly did nothing to showcase JM's skills, which is the only plausible reason to use it.

The Pistol is a significantly weaker platform for play-action and it absolutely eliminates bootlegs. Both have been staples of this offense all year. Sprinkle it in? Sure. Feature it? No....

It was pretty clear that Cinci decided to force the pass by being 100% committed to stopping the run. Pretty much saying to us "if your gonna beat us, JFF and the passing game are the only way.....""

I wonder if this was charted and planned...or was shanny reacting, rather than attempting to dictate....

Was the Pistol equal through the game, or did the reps "increase" or "decrease" as the game went on?....any notable in game adjustments in terms of that?

It was pretty clear that Cinci decided to force the pass by being 100% committed to stopping the run. Pretty much saying to us "if your gonna beat us, JFF and the passing game are the only way.....""

I wonder if this was charted and planned...or was shanny reacting, rather than attempting to dictate....

Was the Pistol equal through the game, or did the reps "increase" or "decrease" as the game went on?....any notable in game adjustments in terms of that?

Pretty much what everybody was saying teams were doing to Hoyer then?

I don't understand running so many pistol sets in the game, non-adaptable game planning by shanahan. Maybe the coaches saw something on tape that they thought they could exploit cincy with.

Regardless, the fact the offense wasn't working should have provoked shanahan to make some changes - but it didn't.

But.. but... but... Johnny was supposed to put an end to stacking vs. the run. So if it did not that means that people here were lying to us... StockBoy was lying to us... *sniff*

Now to bizness... I am very close to offering subscriptions... :)

1st Half

S1: 3 plays ... no pistols

S2: 3 plays ... 2 power pistols

S3: 5 plays ... 2 pistols and 2 power pistols

S4: 3 plays ... no pistols

S5:11 plays ... 6 pistols

2nd Half

S6: 3 plays ... 3 pistols

S7: 3 plays ... 3 pistols

S8: 7 plays ... 3 pistols

S9: 3 plays ... no pistols

S10:1 plays ... nada pistol

JM was under center only 4 times the entire game: 2 I's, 1 power I, and one SingleBack.

I feel pretty safe in saying that SB has been our most productive formation this year...

... but if you ask for the data I will cut you off.

But.. but... but... Johnny was supposed to put an end to stacking vs. the run. So if it did not that means that people here were lying to us... StockBoy was lying to us... *sniff*

I feel pretty safe in saying that SB has been our most productive formation this year...

... but if you ask for the data I will cut you off.

Thank you......Ill take it and ask no more....

Looks like shanny had a plan and was gonna see it thru....maybe an adjustment at the end....maybe an anomaly....

Gonna be a verrrry interesting game...looking fwd to seeing what shanny does with him.....

for me this weeks game is like door #3 on let's make a deal

Thank you......Ill take it and ask no more....

Looks like shanny had a plan and was gonna see it thru....maybe an adjustment at the end....maybe an anomaly....

LOL.. the "cut off" was a joke... just being sure.

I thought The Pistol and the read option were going to be significant in the CIN game. But once the read-option falls to the wayside, I no longer see enough advantage in the Pistol to make any OC stick with it.

Late in the game everything that was not a Pistol was a Shotgun formation.

Archived