THE BROWNS BOARD

sell off the o line and front seven in the offseason...

Clevfan4life

If Thomas is viewed as a top 2 or 3 LT in the league he is overrated. I agree if you can sell him now and get something legit you do.

only problem is there's no real good LT available in FA. Would we draft a LT high then? With what we need defensively in the draft I dunno. If we can land some high value free agents at DL like Raji, Knighton or Fairley...than maybe we can draft a tackle high if there is one. If we had taken Mack with our 1st last year we'd be good at ILB'er which would free up some options, but as it stands right now we need so much at our LB'er spot I can't imagine we don't use 1 or possibly both our 1st round picks to cover ILB and OLB since Sheard will likely be gone for sure.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

easy now Hadens the one guy on this team who I think is playing absolutely up to his contract.

Giving a DB that kind of money, when you draft Gilbert 8th, in this "hands off" league is nuts. Haden has been up and down this season but overall has been good. He's gonna be a $12 to $14 million hit over the next few years.

I'll make the case that while Thomas may not be quite "overrated", he's getting close. Now is the time to shop him to a team that needs a LT. We're starting to see his decline but maybe some other team can be persuaded to give up something we desperately need. I don't "want" to give up JT, but we should see what the interest is.

And his replacement would be?

Kruger has elevated his game quite a bit this season. Haden, until him being hurt today and one TD given up to HIlton, has had one of the better 5-6 game stretches in the NFL.

You fucking people have to be joking about trading these two.

I would completely agree with you if you can pay players without consequence. New England won't hap a DB cap hit over $4 million next year.

Giving a DB that kind of money, when you draft Gilbert 8th, in this "hands off" league is nuts. Haden has been up and down this season but overall has been good. He's gonna be a $12 to $14 million hit over the next few years.

can't be helped. We "had" to retain Haden. Our secondary is the best in the NFL now, that has to be retained.

It really all depends if Kruger fits with what comes next. Cause obviously something has to be reworked or at least tweaked with the scheme. But having 8m tied up at one OLB'er spot may not be viable tia. But no, not Haden. He's the cornerstone of our secondary.

Sheard is the most likely casualty. At least, to me he is. Rub shortly afterwards. Kruger and Mingo, will be the OLB's moving forward beyond this season. Unless of course the front office feels frisky enough to draft someone high or mid round. That said, the man has double digit sacks, has done some of the better work against the run of all our front 7 and seems to be rounding into the form. As it stands I don't think the front office has any issue with the money they're spending on him.

Sheard is the most likely casualty. At least, to me he is. Rub shortly afterwards. Kruger and Mingo, will be the OLB's moving forward beyond this season. Unless of course the front office feels frisky enough to draft someone high or mid round. That said, the man has double digit sacks, has done some of the better work against the run of all our front 7 and seems to be rounding into the form. As it stands I don't think the front office has any issue with the money they're spending on him.

as I've been saying, it all depends if someone's willing to give us something for him. If not then no, we retain him. The problem is he's the one with the highest trade value on that front 7 right now isn't he? I don't want to see him go but if we were to get a decently high 1st rounder for him with maybe a little extra?????

can't be helped. We "had" to retain Haden. Our secondary is the best in the NFL now, that has to be retained.

It was a fan friendly pick but you drafted Haden I believe 7th and picked Gilbert 8th. Gilbert then should be the new Haden and Skrine is the opposite guy and you spend that money in other places. The beauty of the NFL is through the draft you can drastically improve your team, the bad news is if you draft poorly you lose ground. The Patriots will let people go that are cap issues, Revis next year, and reload in the 4th round of the draft.

If our front 7 is the problem, why would we trade any our best players for an unproven rookie?

Gotta hope you can draft and develop. I think Bitonio was a good pick. If you can draft a top tackle and develop him you save on the cap. Next year Thomas will count as $10.5 million towards the cap and Bitonio $1.5 million. When you are looking long term, which I hope they are, you have to make draft picks successful.

I would completely agree with you if you can pay players without consequence. New England won't hap a DB cap hit over $4 million next year.

What? You think they won't retain Revis? Browner and himself are one of the big reasons the Pats are so dangerous at home this year.

It was a fan friendly pick but you drafted Haden I believe 7th and picked Gilbert 8th. Gilbert then should be the new Haden and Skrine is the opposite guy and you spend that money in other places. The beauty of the NFL is through the draft you can drastically improve your team, the bad news is if you draft poorly you lose ground. The Patriots will let people go that are cap issues, Revis next year, and reload in the 4th round of the draft.

Not a chance in hell you let a top 5 DB under 25 years old walk off your team. You draft Gilbert to form a dominant secondary, not to let Haden go.

Also, the pats will at worst re-structure Revis' contract but you can bet your sweet ass he's staying in New England. Dude has balled out this season like the Revis of old.

Present your case other then "you disagree"...... "highly"

He can't... so give him a break.

Injuries are going to happen. We need to be in a better position to fill-in for those injuries. A good backup C and someone that can compete with Schwartz at RT would be good. The D-line just needs an interior Run-stuffer to prevent blockers from so easily getting to the second level...

High pick to demote a starter to back-up, Day 2 picks to compete or Day 3's and UDFA's in search of a gem. Or all the above... plenty of room available as we have not seen a single back-up step up to anything approaching a level of competence.

Only McDaniel started showing signs of being good enough to get by... and that was after weeks of play. McQuistan and Seymore have been unmitigated disasters.

but this isn't knee jerk. You can say the D line has been decimated, but this is what we've seen from them for the most part, since opening day.

Wow... how long would it take me to find posts within the last week about our showing against Indy?

Today I saw Poa and Kitchen in there side by side way too many times. That's a new level of decimation in my book. Add that the only decent blows the D got all game were halftime and the late second QTR "flag-a-thon drive", and safe to say they wore down some.

It's knee-jerk...

What? You think they won't retain Revis? Browner and himself are one of the big reasons the Pats are so dangerous at home this year.

Not a chance in hell you let a top 5 DB under 25 years old walk off your team. You draft Gilbert to form a dominant secondary, not to let Haden go.

Also, the pats will at worst re-structure Revis' contract but you can bet your sweet ass he's staying in New England. Dude has balled out this season like the Revis of old.

I think Revis will be gone. I don't see them taking more than a $7 to $8 million dollar hit for a DB but a team like Oakland will give him a good chunk based on this year.

I'm not saying I dislike Haden but I really think the NFL is still a "trenches" game and if you are telling me I can spend a finite amount of money DL over DB for me.

I think Revis will be gone. I don't see them taking more than a $7 to $8 million dollar hit for a DB but a team like Oakland will give him a good chunk based on this year.

I'm not saying I dislike Haden but I really think the NFL is still a "trenches" game and if you are telling me I can spend a finite amount of money DL over DB for me.

Football is a complimentary game. I agree that the trenches are most important, but anytime you have a top 5 player at any given position, you don't let them go. Its that simple. Also, this team has a ton of cap space

so investing in the Dline, especially in the draft with the rookie slotting system - will hurt this team very, very little.

Suh is a top 5 guy and most likely Detroit will let him walk

Nice try but Suh with on field issues and the open rumors of him wanting out of Detroit really haven't endeared him to the front office.

If he was all about the city like Haden is about Cleveland, do you think a contract extension wouldn't already be done?

Nice try but Suh with on field issues and the open rumors of him wanting out of Detroit really haven't endeared him to the front office.

If he was all about the city like Haden is about Cleveland, do you think a contract extension wouldn't already be done?

I think in the NFL talent means the most and Suh is as talented as they come. If you are paying a guy because he's community minded you're in trouble. Again not saying that Haden is bad just if you can't get to the QB, DBs are in trouble. I hope they can get better on the D Line but money is always an issue in the NFL.

Said last week when your QB is getting Sacked by a 3 Man rush you've got more than QB issues.

Team never showed up today, D or O.

There is something terribly wrong with this Team, and they may need to completely clean house (and I mean get rid of everyone) and start all over again to get to the bottom of it.

Yes. Lets stay shitty on run defense and defense in general because its not a fucking cleveland thing to have a bad ass DL like Suh.

You don't think Detroit would like to stay "badass" on the Dline with Suh? Clearly there are deeper issues there. Its rather mutual. Would I mind having Suh? I'd love it.

Do I think the team will drop that kind of coin on an interior lineman? Not really. Plus I think there are better options in the draft.

I think in the NFL talent means the most and Suh is as talented as they come. If you are paying a guy because he's community minded you're in trouble. Again not saying that Haden is bad just if you can't get to the QB, DBs are in trouble. I hope they can get better on the D Line but money is always an issue in the NFL.

Again I think you have a mix up. IT isn't a "community" issue has nothing to do with this as Suh is reportedly a stand up guy in Detroit. The issues have been the on field exploits, constant fines, quarreling with coaching staff internally and his desire to play elsewhere.

As I mentioned in my first post on here, I'm a Packers fan with a strong, and perhaps unexplainable, appreciation of the Browns. Today I had to endure both watching both teams struggle like crazy.

The Packers' D finally showed up today, holding the Bills to 4 field goals despite taking the field inside their own 30 and at midfield when Rodgers threw his interceptions.

The passing offense was absolutely pathetic, considering it is widely recognized as one of the best in the league.

I did not come on here to complain about the Packers passing game, it's clearly not the place to do so, but to hopefully provide some perspective.

The Browns have one of the league's best and most consistent left tackles with a fairly team friendly cap hit for the next four seasons. They have one of the best centers in the league who will be back next season, and a very promising rookie guard who will only get better with time. I cannot provide judgment on Greco since I don't follow his play too closely. The weak link is obviously Schwartz, who was consistently getting beat by Dunlap.

On the defensive side of the ball, Phil Taylor is one of the best nose tackles in the league and will be back from injury next year. Bryant and Kruger were both expensive free agent acquisitions, but they are quality players at their respective positions, albeit slightly overpaid. Mingo flashes potential and then disappears for long stretches while Sheard is a pretty good pass rusher. The inside linebackers are nothing to write home about, but they are decent players nonetheless.

I am used to my team consistently winning double digit games per season, so I can see why people would be frustrated with how the season is turning out, but it's important to realize that this is year 1 of a new regime. The Browns clearly have issues at multiple positions but they should be able to fill these needs in free agency and during the draft so the future looks bright if they can get any form of stability at QB.

The way I see it, these three games are a try-out for Manziel. It's a chance to see what works for him in this offensive system and what areas of his game still need work so a plan can be put in the place in the offseason to get the most out of him next season and make sure this team gets back in the playoffs.

In other words Haden's hit will rise at a much slower percentage rate than the cap? Isn't that a good thing?

dunno, which is why we wouldn't get rid of him unless someone wsa really desperate for a LT and came up out of their pockets. I'm not saying firesale this. But we have to start shopping.

Shopping players is a fire sale...

Nothing wrong with this team that a quarterback wouldnt solve.

We are 7-6 with a mediocre one, and 0-1 while starting little mascots.

Laughter thru the pain...

There is something terribly wrong with this Team, and they may need to completely clean house (and I mean get rid of everyone) and start all over again to get to the bottom of it.

OMFG... please tell me someone hacked your account.

As I mentioned in my first post on here, I'm a Packers fan with a strong, and perhaps unexplainable, appreciation of the Browns. Today I had to endure both watching both teams struggle like crazy.

Good stuff... Not quite as relaxed for you today, eh?

And where in Italy?

Archived