• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Interests:SPORTS, good restaurants or cooking out, premium cigars among others

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day.  Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

We've used wood chips and other things but most of the grill taste comes from the dripping reburning back up on the meat or veggies.

But most pro grillers use wood or charcoal.

#22 boo fagley

boo fagley

Pro Rookie

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day.  Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.  

There is something about having a fire and drinking a beer.

I like a whole chicken smoking the neighborhood all up. Sometimes I will beer can it. Ive have added mesquite for smoke too. Chicken came out sweet.

#23 boo fagley

boo fagley

Pro Rookie

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

What we did was look for the cheapest grill in the top of the line grills....well when they brought it it wasn't what we ordered, I'll bet they ran out of that model and we got upgraded....nice!

We've also done business with them before like our nat gas fireplace logs, later got the electric auto start upgrade.

Good deal.

I was looking at some of those gas Webers tonight. Very well built.

#24 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Interests:SPORTS, good restaurants or cooking out, premium cigars among others

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

Good deal.

I was looking at some of those gas Webers tonight. Very well built.

If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

.....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

I buy most all of my books used good to excellent condition on Amazon Prime. ;)

#25 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

Oh we're having NY Strip steaks tonight on the grill, baked potatoes with sour cream and butter, grilled asparagus and I'll have a Sam Adams Boston Lager wife has wine. (steaks and asparagus on sale, potatoes basically "dirt" cheap)

The grilling life. :)

#26 DieHardBrownsFan

DieHardBrownsFan

Member since Sept 18, 2006

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,866 posts
  • Interests:A winning Browns team.

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

.....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

I bought a red weber kettle in Japan in 1980.  When I left in 1982 I gave it too my father in law.  His son (my brother in law) still has it and uses it.

#27 boo fagley

boo fagley

Pro Rookie

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

I grill all year with Kingsford Charcoal.

I have a smokey Joe Weber for tailgating and camping. When I had an apartment and not much room, I made so many dinners for 4 - 5 people on that thing. Then, I have an 18" stand up Weber on wheels that I use at least a couple of times a week.

I am ready to upgrade to a smoker. I am looking on craigslist for used ones.

#28 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

Thanks!  Have to give it a try.

Hey the wife surprised me and brought home sauerkraut from the store, ooohhhh can't wait for my hot dogs and kraut.

BTW any of you guys ever eaten REAL homemade sauerkraut? My grandmother, a cook and best cook I've ever known, used to make it out of our garden and cure it in a big wooden barrel in our old house fruit cellar.

OMG was it tender and delicious never bitter, nothing like out of a can.

One drawback someone had to take the weight off of the submerged wooden lid, sleeves rolled all the way up and put your hands way down in the barrel to grab a head or two of the cabbage.....

.....WHEW STINK! Had to really scrub up afterwards but it was the most tender, delicious sauerkraut I've ever eaten. Sure miss those days.

#29 DieHardBrownsFan

DieHardBrownsFan

• REGISTERED
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

My grandma on my fathers side made sarma, or pigs in blanket.  Kind of a stuffed cabbage, Croatian style.  I'm pretty sure it was all homemade.

#30 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

My grandma on my fathers side made sarma, or pigs in blanket.  Kind of a stuffed cabbage, Croatian style.  I'm pretty sure it was all homemade.

Oh yeah like at the old hunkie churches with the little old Bubbas making stuffed cabbage or perogies, I liked the sauerkraut & potato mix with onions browned in butter and some sour cream on top.....oh man!

But REAL sauerkraut is a super good for you food, really it is.

All too many people still see sauerkraut as an unhealthy and in some cases even a ‘junk food’, mainly because it is often served with a hot dog. But this unsavory reputation has been changing in America and also in many other countries these past past several years. So what changed many people’s perception about sauerkraut, why has it become known as a very healthy food recently? Simple, it’s all about bacteria, beneficial bacteria to be more precise. Sauerkraut contains plenty of the lactobacillus bacteria, beneficial bacteria that improve the health and vitality of the small intestine in particular. Probiotic foods such as sauerkraut, yogurt, Kimchi and kefir are often recommended for people taking antibiotics, which indiscriminately destroy both the good as well as bad bacteria in the body, and the live-culture foods in particular can help restore healthy levels of the beneficial bacteria.

Did you know that sauerkraut isn’t just loaded with beneficial bacteria, it is also a really good source of fiber, and it contains a wealth of vitamins like C as well as K, minerals like iron, as well as potassium as well as trace elements like zinc. Sauerkraut was once made in quantity and stored in large wooden barrels on those tall old sailing ships in the 18th century. On long ocean voyages, sailors consumed sauerkraut to help prevent a disease known as scurvy, caused by a deficiency of vitamin C.

The other interesting feature worth knowing about sauerkraut is that because it is made using cabbage, it may help prevent breast and ovarian cancer by assisting in the proper metabolism of estradiol (E2), the strongest estrogen. I’ve found that the store-bought variety of sauerkraut can contain too much salt, another reason to make your own.

- See more at: http://ericbakker.co...h.PmNehH99.dpuf

#31 Westside Steve

Westside Steve

Member since Sept 15, 2003

• REGISTERED
  • 27,552 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

True enough bud.
Unfortunately gas grills don't get hot enough for a nice Sear.
I bought the Joe Namath cooker, kind of like a commercial broiler that fires from the top and it does a steak like a mother fucker.

WSS

#32 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

True enough bud.
I bought the Joe Namath cooker, kind of like a commercial broiler that fires from the top and it does a steak like a mother fucker.
WSS

True charcoal can be ideal but some gas grills are better than others, note some are ads, also check sites like CR:

https://www.google.c...s grill reviews

I still prefer them now and have for years now because we often grill-eat when my wife gets home from work or just when we feel like it including the dead of winter.

#33 DieHardBrownsFan

DieHardBrownsFan

• REGISTERED
  • 17,866 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

True enough bud.

WSS

I looked it up.  looks good.  But my Obammy bucks EBT card won't cover it.  

#34 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

Oh I looked up my two original WEBER'S cookbooks, one big hardback and the same in a big heavy paperback c. 2005, WEBER'S REAL GRILLING by Jamie Purviance , 304 pages.

Good reading and cooking. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users