THE BROWNS BOARD

So we gave up the chance to draft Wentz, Zeke, Ramsey, etc

recadna

No kidding- the only thing I don't like- is at my age (high side of 60)I might not live long enough to see this come to fruition. They parlayed that #2 pick into a boatload, both this year- and even better next. The Browns will control the 2017 draft with two picks in each of the first three rounds- and maybe an extra compensatory 3rd. If we suck (as I suspect) they will have their pick of any qb they fancy. I'll curb my enthusiasm until I see how today and tomorrow unfold.

Yeah- I would have liked Wentz on the Browns, but when we went down to #8, and Bosa, Buckner, and Elliott were off the board- that was a royal fleecing of the Titans.

Was it? The Titans still have 3 second round picks this year. We should have gotten one of those in the trade instead of a third this year and a 2 next year. It should have been the other way around imo.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was it? The Titans still have 3 second round picks this year. We should have gotten one of those in the trade instead of a third this year and a 2 next year. It should have been the other way around imo.

Yes it was a fleecing, especially if the browns still want a qb early as there are a ton still at their disposal. Swapping the picks around may not have net the browns as much either. It's about BUILDING a team, not winning right now in the upcoming season.

No kidding- the only thing I don't like- is at my age (high side of 60) I might not live long enough to see this come to fruition. They parlayed that #2 pick into a boatload, both this year- and even better next. The Browns will control the 2017 draft with two picks in each of the first three rounds- and maybe an extra compensatory 3rd. If we suck (as I suspect) they will have their pick of any qb they fancy. I'll curb my enthusiasm until I see how today and tomorrow unfold.

Yeah- I would have liked Wentz on the Browns, but when we went down to #8, and Bosa, Buckner, and Elliott were off the board- that was a royal fleecing of the Titans.

I agree and high side of 60 is only old if you let it be my good man.

There was a ton of talent in the first round and we got none of it. We started out with the number 2 pick and ended up with A smallish receiver on a team bereft of offense. A team that could have used a Joey Bosa as a foundation to build around.

After round 3 I am totally disappointed. I also feel we got fleeced by the Eagles right now. They got a franchise QB and we have picks for next year. This isn't bitching! This is called watching some of the best talent in years go to teams that drafted way behind us, did their homework and drafted best player available.

Tell me why we traded from 8 to 15? To get more picks to trade away? For next year? A year when Ohio State dominated with Bosa, Elliot, Decker, Apple, Bell, etc and we couldn't manage even one? We had the second pick in the draft!

The Titans, Jaquars, Saints, Seattle and Houston drafted well. Jacksonville is turning it around. So is Oakland. They didn't keep trading down to set a record for amount of picks in a given draft.

Oakland, Jacksonville and Houston selected impact players and I see them being competitive this year. In fact, Oakland and Houston will win their divisions I predict.

While the Browns play Moneyball, sad

There was a ton of talent in the first round and we got none of it. We started out with the number 2 pick and ended up with A smallish receiver on a team bereft of offense. A team that could have used a Joey Bosa as a foundation to build around.

After round 3 I am totally disappointed. I also feel we got fleeced by the Eagles right now. They got a franchise QB and we have picks for next year. This isn't bitching! This is called watching some of the best talent in years go to teams that drafted way behind us, did their homework and drafted best player available.

Tell me why we traded from 8 to 15? To get more picks to trade away? For next year? A year when Ohio State dominated with Bosa, Elliot, Decker, Apple, Bell, etc and we couldn't manage even one? We had the second pick in the draft!

The Titans, Jaquars, Saints, Seattle and Houston drafted well. Jacksonville is turning it around. So is Oakland. They didn't keep trading down to set a record for amount of picks in a given draft.

Oakland, Jacksonville and Houston selected impact players and I see them being competitive this year. In fact, Oakland and Houston will win their divisions I predict.

While the Browns play Moneyball, sad

I'll say it again- if we had stayed @ #2- we were taking Wentz. Franchise QB trumps all other positions. You have to take off those OSU homer glasses for a minute. Would I have loved some of those guys in Orange and Brown? Sure, especially if Elliott had fallen to the Browns @ #8. But he didn't- that's life. I'm pretty sure if Von Bell had fallen a few more spots, that Browns would have taken him at the top of the third.

You really can't judge all those trades until the 2017 draft unfolds. The Browns have doubled up in rounds 1-3 next year. Sure, I'm damn tired of the "wait till next year" mantra- but that's where Cleveland is headed- and crying about the missed opportunities not taking Ohio State players is short sighted. The Buckeyes aren't the only college program with a lot of pro prospects. We needed a tackle to replace Schwartz- so do you want Conklin @ #8, or Coleman in the third, with second and third round picks thrown in?

Hey we got a pair of Colemans... that's something...

WR lovers ought to still be dancing. I'm a SHOT guy and I'm OK with the pick and the trade downs.

Problem is most of you still think in terms of winning now... not the SB, but "just some games".

Wake the fuck up! This is a tank of a season coming our way. Our goal is the #1 overall in 2017. If we don't earn it by losing more than everyone up, then we are loaded as hell to buy it.

WR lovers ought to still be dancing. I'm a SHOT guy and I'm OK with the pick and the trade downs.

Problem is most of you still think in terms of winning now... not the SB, but "just some games".

Wake the fuck up! This is a tank of a season coming our way. Our goal is the #1 overall in 2017. If we don't earn it by losing more than everyone up, then we are loaded as hell to buy it.

Well Coleman- the camping company- is located in Wichita, Kansas- surprised the Chiefs (OK, they're on the other side of the river) didn't want them?

Tour- the reality of a complete shit season of Browns football took awhile to sink in- but it finally did. This is a near total nuke job of the roster- hanging on to the Joes- Thomas & Haden is the only aberration, we might only have kept them around because we would have fallen under the salary cap floor if they had been traded away for even more picks. I sure as hell am not buying Sashi and Hue's company line- we're trying to win. They left out in what year?

With DePodesta on board- you can see the parallels to what goes on in Major League Baseball- all the time. My SW Ohio example would be the current Cincinnati Dead-s. And I do mean deads, not Reds. They have zero chance of doing anything this year, after they gutted the roster of high priced, high performing players for a raft of prospects.

The mantra a few years back was "Suck for Luck" I need something catchy to go with Deshawn Watson. Go to the dump for Deshawn isn't good enough. 0-16 will do it though. Never been two winless teams in the same season in NFL history- and we just might have a shot. I can't wait for Ghoolie's over\under win prediction. Right now, I might have to put it a 2.

I need something catchy to go with Deshawn Watson.

I'll see what I can come up with... sometimes I have these flashes of inspiration... other times it's my glaucoma flaring up...

2017: DeDawn of DeShawn...

Exactly. I keep seeing idiots on my local Browns Backers facebook page posting stuff like "well after THIS move we won't win crap this year." I'm just like "really, THIS is the one that made you realize it?" Anyway, I do my best to tell them the corner-turning on this rebuild will be 2018.

We need all hands on deck to prevent another houseclearing-causing mutiny from fans desperate for cheap wins.

Exactly. I keep seeing idiots on my local Browns Backers facebook page posting stuff like "well after THIS move we won't win crap this year." I'm just like "really, THIS is the one that made you realize it?" Anyway, I do my best to tell them the corner-turning on this rebuild will be 2018.

We need all hands on deck to prevent another houseclearing-causing mutiny from fans desperate for cheap wins.

That's exactly it- and being a little closer to NE Ohio- I can tell you this- the hardcore fans are out of patience, and the casual fans just don't give a shit anymore.

this is just ANOTHER tank season in a list of tank seasons since kosar and co. played in the AFC championship games in the 80s.

sure. they didn't call them tanks seasons because they were actually trying to win but through piss-poor management, coaching and drafting that's all a browns fan has seen in 3 fucking plus decades. now haslam has some late-night visit from god and he tells him to hire the cast offs from UniverSoul Circus to come in, wipe the slates clean and do their version of the hippety hop and we, as a fan base who have been through the holmgren fiasco, the chris palmer 'offensive genius/qb guru' (sound familiar) and butch davis 'defensive genius' and a plethora of other bumbling fools that we just buy into another rebuild like that's what we do? love this org. hate the way it's managed. love the fan base here. but when does it become just alright to be a loser? tour hoorta and the rest, i give you credit for being so upbeat but in the end if nothing has changed (which i seriously doubt it will have after watching this draft so far) i don't find it a good thing when people are standing above your tombstone and it reads 'a diehard browns fan' and all people can say is 'well he was a loyal loser.'

don't worry i'll pour a nice chianti over your graves. should make you feel better.

I hear ya mik, I really do, but grading our - or any teams' - draft right now is completely unrealistic. There isn't a person on the planet that knows how any of these kids will play. To be fair, we should give these kids at least a snap or two before we declare them busts.

It's the same old shit every year in regards to the draft. All of these gurus in the media proclaim who the best players are. On top of that, many forum members proclaim who the best players are. Then we are all conditioned by where these players are "ranked" for months.

Yes, the past Browns' drafts have sucked serious ass, no doubt about it, but this current group of people never took a single player in those drafts. They need to be given some rope and the time to see if they will build a bridge, or hang themselves.

You can quote this next sentence for later use, and in fact, maybe I'll put it as my sig:

The Browns will surprise a lot of people in 2016, they'll be competitive and chase 8-8 all year long........ Book it - D Bone 4/30/16

this is just ANOTHER tank season in a list of tank seasons since kosar and co. played in the AFC championship games in the 80s.

sure. they didn't call them tanks seasons because they were actually trying to win but through piss-poor management, coaching and drafting that's all a browns fan has seen in 3 fucking plus decades. now haslam has some late-night visit from god and he tells him to hire the cast offs from UniverSoul Circus to come in, wipe the slates clean and do their version of the hippety hop and we, as a fan base who have been through the holmgren fiasco, the chris palmer 'offensive genius/qb guru' (sound familiar) and butch davis 'defensive genius' and a plethora of other bumbling fools that we just buy into another rebuild like that's what we do? love this org. hate the way it's managed. love the fan base here. but when does it become just alright to be a loser? tour hoorta and the rest, i give you credit for being so upbeat but in the end if nothing has changed (which i seriously doubt it will have after watching this draft so far) i don't find it a good thing when people are standing above your tombstone and it reads 'a diehard browns fan' and all people can say is 'well he was a loyal loser.'

don't worry i'll pour a nice chianti over your graves. should make you feel better.

Kessler was a rough pick, otherwise they are having one of the better drafts. Sooooo many draft picks this year and next. No one was going to come in via this draft and propel the team smack into the super bowl race. It's about BUILDING a team to win eventually and it seems like Jackson has made ALL the moves to make that possible. I see ZERO reason to be a pessimist other than the iffy Kessler pick. If anything he has huge hands, he just has a weak arm. You may see dink and dunk time in Cleveland even with rg3.

Fair enough. But just one point: the reason we are not over the moon is because we have been here before with trade downs, trade ups....and they all have not seemed to work out. Trade down for Phil Taylor, up for TR, down for Gilbert, up for JMZ, up for Erving etc etc. We will jump over that moon when some of these guys make the Pro Bowl....or get us into the playoffs. Until then we must temper our enthusiasm. Disappointment makes one suspicious.

Even lower round stuff......yinzers take WR in round 6 that becomes an all pro, we take a guy in round 4 that can 't make it out of training camp. You get the picture?

Of course we get the picture. A study in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/nfl-draft-history/

I hear ya mik, I really do, but grading our - or any teams' - draft right now is completely unrealistic. There isn't a person on the planet that knows how any of these kids will play. To be fair, we should give these kids at least a snap or two before we declare them busts.

It's the same old shit every year in regards to the draft. All of these gurus in the media proclaim who the best players are. On top of that, many forum members proclaim who the best players are. Then we are all conditioned by where these players are "ranked" for months.

Yes, the past Browns' drafts have sucked serious ass, no doubt about it, but this current group of people never took a single player in those drafts. They need to be given some rope and the time to see if they will build a bridge, or hang themselves.

You can quote this next sentence for later use, and in fact, maybe I'll put it as my sig:

The Browns will surprise a lot of people in 2016, they'll be competitive and chase 8-8 all year long........ Book it - D Bone 4/30/16

actually cheered me up. needed it.

That's exactly it- and being a little closer to NE Ohio- I can tell you this- the hardcore fans are out of patience, and the casual fans just don't give a shit anymore.

Long about November we pool our money and start buying all the PSL's we can...

Double our money in two years... maybe less...

Archived