THE BROWNS BOARD

The Tribe – The Real Lead Sports Story In Town

tampadawgs

I was there Friday and Saturday. Really fun team to watch... they have that magic from the 90s teams. Series or not they are an exciting product... get there.

Same was said about other recent Indians teams that were great in May and the collapsed. I don't think the current team will collapse but the pitching staff is not good enough to hold up for the rigors of a 162 game schedule. I'd just liketo see the Tribe finish at .500. But I will say this -- Terry Francona is a very good manager and he's light years ahead of Acta and Wedge.

It was humorous yesterday on ESPN to see Doug Glanville talk about the great job Francona is doing as Manny Acta, now an analyst for ESPN, sat two feet away from Granville, looking uncomfortable. Indians fans would have loved to see that footage!

Gotta love how ESPN has two loser Cleveland coahces -- Mangini and Acta -- now serving as "expert" analysts on their network. ESPN is simply out of it and people are so tired of them focusing so much of their coverage on the New York and Boston teams. There is so much good stuff happening in others parts of the NFL and MLB outside of New York and Boston, but nobody ever knows about it because ESPN doesn't cover it! At least they did finally manage to mention the Indians yesterday! If the Tribe was in New York, they'd get 15 minutes of every ESPN Sports Center.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how about we stop talking about a 4th string QB and a 4th string RB that will not make the team out of training camp.

We are never going to stop talking about the Browns 4th String QB on this board. That's who we are.

It's a board of Browns fanatics, some who are also big Tribe fans, many who are not.

The average poster on this board can more easily name the Browns 4th string Qb than the Indians starting third baseman. That's just where you have chosen to post.

I'm glad the Indians are doing good in May. Terry Francona was a great choice for manager. I am a huge baseball fan. Now I am going back to the Brian Hoyer thread ... because the Browns are my passion.

Zombo

That's not even close to being a fact.

It may not have been the main fact....but I believe it was, indeed, a factor. Perhap part and parcel of this factor was the Indians leaving Muni stadium....and leaving him without that source of revenue they were giving him.

So, he was obviously pissed about that....and resentful that the Tribe got a new stadium first (even though he claimed he was on board with that decision). The fact that the Tribe was so good that year, and was filling the new stadium to capacity merely fueled his resentment toward them....and the decision to put them first on the pecking order for a new stadium.

So, just them winning alone may not have been a big factory....but everything leading to their winning was.

r u really blaming the Indians for browns leaving. Modell was fucking the Indians hand over fist charging them to play in a piece of shit

I am only saying it was a factor in his decision to attempt to move.

....and yes....I for one am not going to underestimate the venality of one Arthur B. Modell in that situation. I don't blame the Indians for the Browns attempt to leave. I blame Modell....but his pettiness and jealousy toward the Indians success that year made it easy for him in his mind to think "fuck you Cleveland".

Same was said about other recent Indians teams that were great in May and the collapsed. I don't think the current team will collapse but the pitching staff is not good enough to hold up for the rigors of a 162 game schedule. I'd just liketo see the Tribe finish at .500. But I will say this -- Terry Francona is a very good manager and he's light years ahead of Acta and Wedge.

It was humorous yesterday on ESPN to see Doug Glanville talk about the great job Francona is doing as Manny Acta, now an analyst for ESPN, sat two feet away from Granville, looking uncomfortable. Indians fans would have loved to see that footage!

Gotta love how ESPN has two loser Cleveland coahces -- Mangini and Acta -- now serving as "expert" analysts on their network. ESPN is simply out of it and people are so tired of them focusing so much of their coverage on the New York and Boston teams. There is so much good stuff happening in others parts of the NFL and MLB outside of New York and Boston, but nobody ever knows about it because ESPN doesn't cover it! At least they did finally manage to mention the Indians yesterday! If the Tribe was in New York, they'd get 15 minutes of every ESPN Sports Center.

ESPN IS getting worse lately in it East Coast bias. The Knicks were knocked out what? Friday night. Sunday morning when I wake up...all ESPN radio is talking about is the Knicks....and this morning....all they talked about is the Knicks.

I mean, there were these other teams still playing: Miami/Indy/San Antonio/Memphis Do you think maybe they could spend a little time talking about the teams still in it? Hell no. My son's roomate is a Red Sox fan. He was talking about the Boston/New York rivalry....but when I said to him "Boston, New York, it is all one and the same, he looked at me like I was polka dotted or something...so I said "yea...to everyone else one of the teams from those cities winning is no different than another. We would only care as long as they both lose.".

and yet how many posts were off target the tribe are getting recognized in a mass market.

shrewd biz dealings and good gut-feeling signings.

yes, the tribe not the browns.

imagine the day that happens?

ESPN IS getting worse lately in it East Coast bias. The Knicks were knocked out what? Friday night. Sunday morning when I wake up...all ESPN radio is talking about is the Knicks....and this morning....all they talked about is the Knicks.

I mean, there were these other teams still playing: Miami/Indy/San Antonio/Memphis Do you think maybe they could spend a little time talking about the teams still in it? Hell no. My son's roomate is a Red Sox fan. He was talking about the Boston/New York rivalry....but when I said to him "Boston, New York, it is all one and the same, he looked at me like I was polka dotted or something...so I said "yea...to everyone else one of the teams from those cities winning is no different than another. We would only care as long as they both lose.".

Yup, it's getting worse allright. It's not East Coast bias- call it "Big Market, & Frontrunner Bias". Kobe blows out his leg, ESPN acts like the world just ended. Westbrook getting injured DURING THE PLAYOFFS, WHEN IT ACTUALLY MATTERED gets about 1\100 the coverage. You'd have thought it was the Lakers God ordained right to make the playoffs every year.

Frontrunner mentality- holy smokes, the damn INDIANS get a nice ESPN blowjob on the 6:30 Sportscenter.

OK, I understand what you're saying- BUT. Just because you happen to live in Cleveland (or did) doesn't mean you have to be a baseball fan. For me personally, (for reasons I'll get into)- I'd as soon as watch icicles melt than take in an entire game on the tube. Yeah- I caught an inning or two of the Tigers- Rangers game tonight (my wife is a Tigers fan, at least I was able to convert her from the Lions to Browns)- but I'd as soon as catch some of the Italian Open, or some of the Stanley Cup Playoffs- or the NBA Playoffs.

1) so there's reason #1- there's more action in hockey or basketball (or even soccer) in 5 minutes than there is in an entire baseball game.

2) Baseball has the most f**ked up salary structure of any major sport. You level the playing field, maybe I'd take more interest. Sooner or later, the Yankees and their ilk buy up all the top talent. I felt like puking when the two opposing pitchers in the World Series USED to play for the Indians- you want to make an argument how that isn't screwed up be my guest. No you can't buy a Championship every year- but you sure as hell can buy a competitive team. IIRC, the Yankees haven't had a losing season since 1992.

3) Alluding to the above- the Tribe, and other small market teams have been the feeder system of top talent to the Big Boys in like about forever- and that's not going to change anytime soon.

4) Do you really need a 162 game season? (Other than to pay those inflated salaries?) Yeah, lets play baseball in Denver in April in a snowstorm, or the World Series in October when its 35 degrees. One game in a 16 game NFL season has meaning, on a baseball game, not so much.

4) Well, there's no real explanation of why Cleveland is a football town- unless you want to go all the way back to Canton- Pro football was born in NE Ohio. My personal slant is back in the 60's the Browns were pretty great, and the Indians reliably stunk- every year. It's only May- wake me up in August when the games actually start meaning something. I've lived through the Indians "June Swoon" & "July Dive". The Rocky Colavito for Harvey Kuenn trade- that about did me in right there, (read Belichick dumping Kosar if you want a comparison), and an unabated history since of "we can't afford you anymore, tata!!!" Incidentally, there's a boatload of Browns fans in Dayton who have have never lived in Cleveland. I've yet to meet an Indians fan here- period. SW Ohio is Reds Country- for the same reason Cleveland is Browns Town.

So sorry- to be a "true" fan of the Tribe, you have to be a baseball fan first. Just hope you won't have to be like the Wrigley Bleacher Bums and wait like forever for them to win a World Series. Oh, they keep on winning- the frontrunner bandwagon bus will pick up supporters for sure.

What got me upset last summer was listening to a Yankees game on XM radio while on the road and the announcers talking about how Choo will be a nice addition in the Yankees outfield in 2013. Such arrogance! I am so glad Choo didn't go to New York. I used to be a Reds fan, too, but I won't root for them this year and I boo every time I hear Choo's name. Another good player who left Cleveland. I hate seeing Hafner being so successful this season with the Yankees. But we all know Hafner will get hurt soon -- always happens with him.

At least this kind of thing hasn't happened to the Browns very much -- the few good players they had, like Edwards and Winslow, were both jerks and never were big successes once they left unlike Lee, Sabathia, et al in baseball.

and keep 'em coming.

beotches.

ya netter recognize!

ESPN truly is the Eastern Sports Network because usually all they cover in baseball are the Yankees and Red Sox. It was astounding to see the Indians get some air time on ESPN. They must really be good for that to happen!

In football, the Browns are almost never mentioned on ESPN while the Jets, a worse team than Cleveland, get so much air time you would think they have won 5 Super Bowl's in the last 10 years! It's easy to see why NFL Network in football and MLB Network in baseball are so popular with fans because they actually cover al lthe teams, not just the northeast teams.

They never talked about the JETS until Ryan became the coach and then Tebow went there. I do not think ESPN knows we have a football team, but do you blame them!!!! I do love the love about the Tribe...Hope to see a HUGE CROWD TONIGHT

The Indians start a tough 25 game stretch tonight that will prove if they are indeed contenders. During that stretch the only team under .500 that we play is the White Sox. And the last time I checked they still have Konerko on that team sooooo tough for Cleveland. I love what I am seeing but I am anxious to see how they get through this stretch. .500 during this stretch would still put them in great position going into the all-star break.

you guys have obviously never been in the ad game.

retired now (thank friggin god), but it's all about the #'s and the $'s.

yes i love the browns and the cavs and the tribe but unless you have MLBHD network (like me) then you might have 3 4 or 5 chances to see them play on the national market. until anyone of those teams wins something the major broadcasting networks are going to keep showing the yankees vs. red sox or the knicks vs. the celtics.

nobody outside of fans like us gives a shit about cleveland or indiana or memphis grizzs. sorry, it's just the way it is.

our biz is to sell the most shit to the most people we can at that god given moment.

u see it. it's obvious. auto (esp. trucks) ads when there are sports on. during the day it's about targeting those out of work or depressed or sick or go back to school or kill yourself..

what do you think focus groups are about?

i met my current girl/wife at one we sponsored for our new campaign for the army. being a vet and in the biz for a real long time on the creative end they had me go in and ask ?'s about up to 10 diff versions of the broadcast campaign and what they liked and disliked about each.

it's amazing how many people without being asked said they should bomb the shit out of pittsburgh.

The Indians start a tough 25 game stretch tonight that will prove if they are indeed contenders. During that stretch the only team under .500 that we play is the White Sox. And the last time I checked they still have Konerko on that team sooooo tough for Cleveland. I love what I am seeing but I am anxious to see how they get through this stretch. .500 during this stretch would still put them in great position going into the all-star break.

It will be a rough ride for the Indians, but they do have a fun team. My biggest concern with the Indians is the closer. I thik Perez is overrated and he is baseball's answer to Sergio Garcia in golf -- a whiner who is easily distracted and loves to blame everyone else for his troubles without taking personal responsibility for his own failures.

The Browns and Cavs are so young and keep getting more talent ... the Tribe is rolling under Francona. Cleveland, your day is coming and it is very, very close.

Zombo

Baseball is an old boring sport that should be updated SOMEHOW to make it fun! Maybe cut it down to 20 games so there is a purpose and an urgency to see your team win. To go to a snooze-ball game it's super expensive and it is super BORING!

Baseball should be used in the penal system as a punishment...when you commit a crime they should sentence criminals to having to watch baseball. A simple robbery the sentence could be... you have to be subjected to watching 30 baseball games, and you cant fall a sleep!. You will see all crime drop off....No one wants to be forced to watch sleep-ball!

Baseball is an old boring sport that should be updated SOMEHOW to make it fun! Maybe cut it down to 20 games so there is a purpose and an urgency to see your team win. To go to a snooze-ball game it's super expensive and it is super BORING!

Baseball should be used in the penal system as a punishment...when you commit a crime they should sentence criminals to having to watch baseball. A simple robbery the sentence could be... you have to be subjected to watching 30 baseball games, and you cant fall a sleep!. You will see all crime drop off....No one wants to be forced to watch sleep-ball!

Reading just one of your posts is punishment for any man.

Can't argue with you. Too much wasting time in a baseball game and the game's World Series TV ratings are about one-fourth what they used to be. My question":why night after night do baseball games in New York and Boston always seem to take an hour longer than games elsewhere in the country?

The Browns and Cavs are so young and keep getting more talent ... the Tribe is rolling under Francona. Cleveland, your day is coming and it is very, very close.

Zombo

No it's not. Indians will fade during this 25 game stretch. Cavs are a mess with two selfish, non-defense playing guards, and if they take Noels they still don't have a guy who will help this year or help at the small forward position. As for the Browns, Lombardi and Banner don't grasp it takes 11 players to have a good defense, not just a front 7, and they will lament not taking Tavon Austin with the first pick.

No it's not. Indians will fade during this 25 game stretch. Cavs are a mess with two selfish, non-defense playing guards, and if they take Noels they still don't have a guy who will help this year or help at the small forward position. As for the Browns, Lombardi and Banner don't grasp it takes 11 players to have a good defense, not just a front 7, and they will lament not taking Tavon Austin with the first pick.

You're a bitch.

You have no idea what will happen in the next 25 games for the Indians.

The Cavs just hired the best defensive coach in the league to go with the best young point guard to go along with the #1 lottery pick.

Lombardi and Banner each took a shit this morning that more more football knowledge than you.

Zombo.

You're a bitch.

The Cavs just hired the best defensive coach in the league to go with the best young point guard to go along with the #1 lottery pick.

Lombardi and Banner each took a shit this morning that more more football knowledge than you.

Zombo.

Indians are already 0-2 in this 25 game stretch and head for a potential Boston massacre this weekend. Indians have some nice components, but lack of quality, consistent starting pitching, plus the failures of an overrated bullpen, will doom them to be a .500 team at best.

My concern: if they go in to a tailspin on this 25-game stretch, Dolan will panic again and have another fire sale. That will doom baseball in Cleveland for many years to come if he does that. I have as much faith in Dolan as I do in Haslam, Lombardi and Banner. That means ZERO.

You're a bitch.

Zombo.

No offense, but I would not have drafted Craig Powell nor Tommy Vardell, like Lombardi did. I also would not have drafted Mingo that high.

Also, when the Browns secondary gets destroyed this season, please remember your statement that I know less than Banner and Lombardi.

No offense, but I would not have drafted Craig Powell nor Tommy Vardell, like Lombardi did. I also would not have drafted Mingo that high.

Also, when the Browns secondary gets destroyed this season, please remember your statement that I know less than Banner and Lombardi.

Bill Belichick pulled the trigger on those draft picks. Do you know more than him too?

Zombo

Archived