THE BROWNS BOARD

can someone explain to me why Eric Martin was on the line in our goal line pckg?

Clevfan4life

I actually had to look up who #52 was today because when I saw him at the right DE spot I was like why is an ILB'er on the line? And of course their left side just caved that side of our line in towards center and the FB/RB went off tackle...TD!! Just wtf happened? I think Pettine and our DC skipped out on being questioned for that. Even with our injuries we have plenty of beef in reserve to put in on goal line without resorting to back up OLB'ers to get in the trenches. I mean throw a reserve offensive lineman in there before you resort to putting 250lb men on the line in short yd situations. I'd really like someone to ask Pettine about that.

All we can do is speculate there. I imagine they've tried various formations with their goal line stand defense, and there must have been something they like from the guy there. Maybe he's quick off the snap, maybe he's had success in practice splitting O linemen, or maybe he has better than you would think drive in his legs.

Maybe because the coaches like him there and he earned it.... Just a thought

1) How does someone who's barely been on the field at OLB let alone any DL play "earn" a spot on the line in a goal line package?

2) Did you perchance notice that upon seeing an undersized person on the line the Falcons called on off tackle run? And did you perchance see that side of our line get caved in?

3) do you think I would have made this thread if the outcome of that play was positive? We put a 250lb guy on the line in goal line and he immediately got thrown to the side and the runner came right down that gap. It didn't work hence why i'm asking. We've got plenty of 300 or near 300lb guys to anchor against the o line push....that situation is no place for an undersized individual no matter how strong he may be. Physics is physics.

Archived