THE BROWNS BOARD

How many games would we have to lose before you bench Hoyer

Adoug319

I've already seen losses where we shouldn't have lost.

Add all the key injuries (primarily on D and that units' performance) and I still see this Team in transition.

Trust me, I would absolutely love to have the last to first / Cinderella story going for this Team, but some of the Eggs they've laid + injuries are just too much for me to see that.

I do see a definite positive change in direction for the Team though, they're starting to get it together, but some of our prime players don't seem to be reflecting that (sadly).

Sure, l see the chinks in the armor too, but the only thing l can realistically control in this is my attitude.

We've both felt the suckiness of past seasons, but there's plenty of coffin nails not in the coffin right now.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrBTzvHCHBUncoAJFJx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?p=wilson+phillips+hold+on+youtube&tnr=21&vid=A7B5B2ABA3DC2628D5DCA7B5B2ABA3DC2628D5DC&l=221&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.608025867493443884%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUDvl3erq5J0&sigr=11a820f7l&tt=b&tit=Wilson+Phillips+Hold+On+%281990%29+HD&sigt=111jmurk2&back=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dwilson%2Bphillips%2Bhold%2Bon%2Byoutube%26fr%3Diphone%26_tsrc%3Dapple%26ei%3DUTF-8&sigb=12vibnovg

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, l see the chinks in the armor too, but the only thing l can realistically control in this is my attitude.

We've both felt the suckiness of past seasons, but there's plenty of coffin nails not in the coffin right now.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrBTzvHCHBUncoAJFJx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?p=wilson+phillips+hold+on+youtube&tnr=21&vid=A7B5B2ABA3DC2628D5DCA7B5B2ABA3DC2628D5DC&l=221&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.608025867493443884%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUDvl3erq5J0&sigr=11a820f7l&tt=b&tit=Wilson+Phillips+Hold+On+%281990%29+HD&sigt=111jmurk2&back=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dwilson%2Bphillips%2Bhold%2Bon%2Byoutube%26fr%3Diphone%26_tsrc%3Dapple%26ei%3DUTF-8&sigb=12vibnovg

In our division, we haven't even bought the coffin yet.

We haven't lost games because of Hoyer, which is good at least (not that he helped blah blah). We have won games because of him earlier on though (saints, titans)

Let's just torch Atlanta :-)

In our division, we haven't even bought the coffin yet.

We haven't lost games because of Hoyer, which is good at least (not that he helped blah blah). We have won games because of him earlier on though (saints, titans)

Let's just torch Atlanta :-)

That's what l'm talkin' about! Put that coffin on layaway for another year.

Hoyer is doing fine. He's had no running game and 5'7" receivers to throw to.

Oh bull fucking shit.

Those 5'7 receivers were good enough to beat The Steelers, Bengals, Saints, etc.

The running game was there until Mack went down and came back vs. The Bengals.

You don't get to use that excuse at your convenience when they lose and then praise Hoyer when we win. It's cheap and pathetic

Did not see it mentioned yet, but BH needs 5 or 6 quarters of snaps to trigger a couple million in bonus clause pay.

Best way to ensure he gets it? A win in ATL...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/11/cleveland_browns_brian_hoyer_o_1.html

Having lived through Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Move. and so many other iconic games . . . . sadly just too much pain too see things any other way at this point.

I really like where the Team is at and where we're headed, but too me we're more at :

http://movie-sounds.org/sci-fi-movie-samples/sound-clips-from-dune-1984/we-fremen-have-a-saying-god-created-arrakis-to-train-the-faithful

Oh bull fucking shit.

Those 5'7 receivers were good enough to beat The Steelers, Bengals, Saints, etc.

The running game was there until Mack went down and came back vs. The Bengals.

You don't get to use that excuse at your convenience when they lose and then praise Hoyer when we win. It's cheap and pathetic

Yeah, Hoyer played lousy against the Texans and Jags. It's any given Sunday this year, Walter. Peyton Manning played like shit against the Rams, and not all that much better against the Patriots. FWIW, Hoyer has thrown as many interceptions this season as Eli Manning threw in ONE GAME. Stockton won't want to hear it, but Hoyer is #1 in the NFL in yards per completion, and third in passes of 20+ yards. So much for the theory- teams don't respect him deep. When they don't- they get torched.

Manzelots = restless after a loss. Hoyer hasn't had back to back stinkers- yet. I'm looking for that trend to continue Sunday.

If they get to the point that they're mathematically eliminated, then it may be Manzitime.

Been saying that all along.

Some of you "fans" don't deserve a winning football team.

Wouldn't it be novel if, for once, this fan base actually supported our winning starting QB instead of calling for his head after a bad game or two? I got news for all of you who think your hero Johhny Football is going to go out and "wreck the league" in his first few starts. You are WRONG! Then what? do we start calling for his head, too? if he doesn't win more than he loses in his first 12 games?

At some point, we are going to have to give a guy the opportunity to get through the growing pains.

Anyone here who believes that Johnny is doing better in practice than Hoyer, but yet isn't starting is fooling themselves. WTH would be the reason for that? Have we all NOT seen the UDFA K'Waun Williams playing ahead of Gilbert? Did that happen in a vacuum? Did they just say "eff it" lets see if this UDFA is better than the 8th overall pick for the hell of it? Or, perhaps, just maybe, Williams was preparing and practicing better than Gilbert?

Keep on believing you know more than the coaches who watch practice every day. This staff appears to care more about winning, and in turn, keeping their jobs than satisfying a fan clamoring for something they know nothing about.

Every NFL expert I heard said that Johnny was not a lock as a pro. He would need to be coached out of bad habits and have a lot to learn about the pro game as far as learning a playbook and reading defenses. If he was as good as you all seem to think he is, he wouldn't have slipped to 22 and he certainly would have been drafted ahead of Bortles. He wasn't for a reason.

I get that patience has worn thin for Browns fans, but our record this year would most likely look a helluva lot more like all the other rookie records this year if we had gone with Manziel, and there is no guarantee it won't look like that next year if he starts. Calm down and let the people who know what they are doing make these decisions. Jeebus!

Or, we could continue the pattern we have had since 1999. Start a new QB every season and see how it goes. It's worked so well in the past.

^+1. Excellent point about Williams- and you could add giving Ben Tate the gate after West & Crowell outplayed him.

Pettine doesn't strike me as a guy who's all warm & fuzzy about the Hoyer story just because he's from Cleveland. I have zero doubt if he thought Manziel gave him a better chance to win- he'd be starting. I have no idea when that might be.

MHO is- if a game get to garbage time, one way or another- sure put the kid in. Or if the Browns are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs- but we just saw the hot streak Chiefs just lost to the Raiders- so stay tuned, anything's possible in this whacky season.

But what if it was Vernor's? I miss that stuff...

I don't. Sad to say, mom used to feed that to us when we were deathly sick as kids- and we'd promptly puke it back up. So no ginger ale for me- ever.

So no ginger ale for me- ever. Mr. Hoorta

When I was kid, I had knee surgery, and they kept bringing me ginger ale

because I was tired of water. Well, that sucked the first time, and made me

sick every time after that. But, they kept bringing me ginger ale. Made for

a little drama - they'd bring it, and tell me I had to drink something, and I'd

say it was nasty, and refused. So, my surgeon shows up, and they complain

to him that I wouldn't drink the ginger ale, or water. So, he turns to me and

grins and asked me about it, and asked what I -would- like, and then turned

to the stuffy, unfriendly nurse, and yelled for her to work another wing, and

had my new nurse, to get me some root beer. She was cute, too.

and I've been a root beer guy ever since. I wouln't remember this story,

except a several years ago, we were out on our pontoon boat, and all we had was

Vernor's, and it all came back to me. I'd rather drink the lake water and get sick,

if I had to choose....

And you don't bench a qb just because you lose some games.

Eventually, you bench him when his play is consistently the sole reason

that the offense is being held back over time.

Hoyer has had a few rough outings, and has also shined brilliantly.

Give the Browns player hate, especially the qb, a rest ?

Just my dumb opinion....

It's likely Greco if McDonald goes down.

... or Bito... :)

Meanwhile back at the thread...

Given that it is logical that we are only in contention for a post-season spot so long as Hoyer continues to play decent ball, most seem to agree that so long as the playoffs are possible Hoyer starts.

For those that think now is too late to make a QB change:

Asked one day recently about Manziel’s readiness to play in the NFL, Pettine gave a notably tepid endorsement, telling reporters, “He’s shown the ability in glimpses to be a starting quarterback here in the NFL.” Another person familiar with the coaching staff’s assessment of Manziel put it more bluntly: “He’s isn’t ready.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/johnny-football-in-exile-browns-are-winning-behind-brian-hoyer-while-manziel-sits/2014/11/21/6f1b410c-718a-11e4-a2c2-478179fd0489_story.html

The entire article is worth a read and fairly balanced.

....I'm not calling for Hoyer's head..For all you sensitive fucks.. I just think this is an interesting question......

Ahahaha. You dont honestly think we can "discuss" this in a mature way, do you? It appears that everyone didn't take the time to comprehend the "conditions" of your post. And anyone open to change at QB is just a hater.

Personally, I dont instantly see hate when people talk about switching QB's(or any other position).

Listen, it's cool to switch players like RB's, LB's and Ol, but you cannot even discuss QB's without being labelled hater or fanboi.

My money says if GILBERT suddenly became starter, nobody would bitch and MOST would be happy our 1st pick was now starting. I doubt there would be too many ""Save Buster Skrine"" threads, even though he's playing GREAT right now.

But, if the same scenario played out with the QB's, there would be hell to pay.......oh yes there would ;)

And I haven't even said who I think should start, but Im sure if I did, someone here will interpret it as me being a bad fan or label me as a Hoyer hater or Johnny fanboi or visa versa.....instead of just accepting the truth, which is most of us are unbiased fans just trying to discuss options for our team....

"" As a Steeler fan, I can't wait until Johnny plays. There are legit reasons her wasn't wanted by anyone but the Browns, there are reasons why countless QB experts wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole, the kid excelled at playground football but never used a playbook.""

God this is a moronic post. Just dumb.

1. Only Browns wanted Manziel. Bullshit. Lots of teams wanted Manziel, but he wasn't the right fit for whatever reason, but the MAIN reason he went #22 and not higher in the draft is that he is only 5' 11" and change. He's the ONLY qb under 6" to be drafted in the first round in the super bowl era. If he was 6' 2", it would have been a lot different.

2. Playground football. Its called extending plays, and it's pretty funny you as a Steeler fan would discount that ability for a qb, when that's Big Rapist's greatest asset. Johnny does it differently than Big Rapist, but big plays happen when Johnny extends plays.

3. Never used a playbook. Johnny had THE BEST passer rating in college football IN THE POCKET last year. Pretty sure he knew the playbook. And Pettine the other day said johnny's come a long way, which tells me he's doing a good job learning the Browns playbook.

To answer op's question, Hoyer should play as long as the team feels they are better with him on the field. It's Pettine's job to read the team and figure out which qb is best to lead them. He's done a good job so far-Hoyer's lead them to 6-4 and Johnny hasn't been thrown to the wolves too early.

After looking into the DHBF crystal ball, I see Hoyer gone after this season, and Manziel/Shaw fighting for the starting position. Hoyer will ask for too much $$$ and they won't give it.

I hope that if Brian Hoyer is actually gone that the coaching staff doesn't dilly dick around all preseason with some sort of bullshit competition. Start the high draft pick and give him all the reps with the first team. Unless front office really has their heads up their asses like last year.

WSS

Once again, be careful what you ask for, you just might be saddled with it.

GO BROWNS !

That's true. Like the guy that's been married to the same woman for years; she's a little bit dowdy, not a great cook (but OK) not really sexy (though not a pig) but you know each other well. On the other hand is that 25 year old secretary at work with the big tits and a beautiful smile that keeps asking why you never ask her out.....

WSS

To answer op's question, Hoyer should play as long as the team feels they are better with him on the field. It's Pettine's job

After looking into the DHBF crystal ball, I see Hoyer gone after this season, and Manziel/Shaw fighting for the starting position.

I hope that if Brian Hoyer is actually gone that the coaching staff....

Once again, be careful what you ask for, you just might be saddled with it.

GO BROWNS !

Once again, as I said in my previous post, we're just discussing possibilities. No one is "asking" for anything. Why do we need to turn a prediction that Hoyer signs elsewhere and a "what if" scenario into someone wishing for something???

That's true. Like the guy that's been married to the same woman for years; she's a little bit dowdy, not a great cook (but OK) not really sexy (though not a pig) but you know each other well. On the other hand is that 25 year old secretary at work with the big tits and a beautiful smile that keeps asking why you never ask her out.....

WSS

And, even if you dont ever touch her, you definitely should be able to discuss those big titties with your friends ;)

Once again, as I said in my previous post, we're just discussing possibilities. No one is "asking" for anything. Why do we need to turn a prediction that Hoyer signs elsewhere and a "what if" scenario into someone wishing for something???

Why would a so called fan of a football team, create a post ASKING how many games would we have to lose before Hoyer gets benched ? It's called reading between the lines. But to answer that question , probably as many games as it would take to fire Pettine . BTW I didn't say anybody was wishing for anything, I said be careful what you ASK for.

And, even if you dont ever touch her, you definitely should be able to discuss those big titties with your friends ;)

Archived