THE BROWNS BOARD

The Schedule Game, Round 2

The Gipper

Here we go again party animals. In the words of Henry V, later quoted by Sherlock Holmes: The Game is Afoot. Here is Round 2 of The Schedule Game. As always, have your hands on the buzzer and be ready to ring in. (Miktoxic....no, your buzzer is not in your pants). Here are the remaining schedules for the teams in the AFC North:

Browns

@ Atlanta 4-6

@ Buffalo 5-5

vs. Indy 6-4

vs. Cincinnati 6-3-1

@ Carolina 3-7-1

@ Baltimore 6-4

opponents records: 30-29-2

Bengals

@ Houston 5-5

@ Tampa Bay 2-8

vs. Pittsburgh 7-4

@ Cleveland 6-4

vs. Denver 7-3

@ Pittsburgh 7-4

opponents records 33-28

Steelers

vs. New Orleans 4-6

@ Cincinnati 6-3-1

@ Atlanta 4-6

vs. Kansas City 7-3

vs. Cincinnati 6-3-1

opponents records 27-21-2

Ravens

@ New Orleans 4-6

vs. San Diego 6-4

@ Miami 6-4

vs. Jacksonville 1-8

@ Houston 5-5

vs. Cleveland 6-4

opponents records: 28-31

Notes:

A. Two weeks ago the Steelers went from having their remaining opponents having the weakest records, to now having opponents with the best records. 27-21-2. But they still have a couple of advantages with the schedule: First, they do have a game up on the rest of the division as they have not had their bye yet, that comes this week. And they do have 7 wins, more than the other teams. Second, they still have the most favorable schedule home/away as 3 of their last 5 games are home, including the last two.

B. Baltimore has the "easiest" schedule in terms of opponents W-L record. Primarily because they still have JAX on their schedule. Plus, they only have one more remaining division game, the last game of the years vs. the Browns. But despite appearances they have a tough road to hoe. They must go to N.O. who will be looking for revenge for the Cinci loss on their home field. Plus 3 tough non-division AFC foes: Miami, San Diego, Houston. We saw what Houston can do.

C. Speaking of Houston, they can still fuck things up for AFCN teams, like they did for us. They play Cinci and Balt. yet.

New Orleans still has Baltimore and Pittsburgh, and they are in a fight for their division. And Atlanta can screw up the AFCN with games vs. Pitt. and Cleve. Of course, the Browns want to start fucking up their chances this week.

D. Bengals still have 3 division games. 2 with Pitt, one with Cleve. Baltimore only has one division game left...as noted vs. Browns.

Who wins this round of the Schedule Game? Pittsburgh won the last round....but their loss to the Jets was an ass kicker. (and they were behind after 3 quarters last night until Tennessee remembered they were a 2-7 team.).

I don't know. I think this week's Schedule Game winner is: The Ravens. By a nose over Pitt. They seem to have the only sure win on their schedule, a home game vs. JAX. (who only have beaten the Browns this year)

Here's my prediction, (not that you care)

Win at Atlanta

Loss at Buffalo

Win against Colts

Win against Cincinnati

Loss at Carolina

Win against Ravens

And here's why (not that you care)

Atlanta has no run defense, pass rush, and front line. It will be an usually high scoring game the Browns will win.

Buffalo's defense will be too much for them and they're playing at home.

Browns will surprise everyone by creaming the Colts. With Bradshaw out, Luck will be forcing the ball to Joe Haden.

Browns beat Bengals at home. These two teams hate each other and the Bengals play dirty but Browns win.

I'm not sure the Browns lose to Carolina but I'm going by the odds.

We should have beat the Ravens last time so this is a grudge match. The Browns have the better team but Harbaugh is tough to beat. It will be a close game. Hopefully Cundiff doesn't miss any extra points or easy field goals which is why Baltimore let him go.

I forgot, Josh Gordon is back! And he's on all my fantasy teams along with Crowell and West. So technically the Browns could surprise all of us. 10-6 is the worst they will do.

Being the resident Ravens fan, I'll take a stab at our record -

Ravens

@ New Orleans 4-6 - Win. I know it's weird to think that the Saints with a loss will have dropped 3 in a row at home. I'm not 100% on this pick, but I'm pretty sure. Saints aren't that good on defense, one of their better receivers is gonna be out which makes it easier to focus on Graham. As long as we establish the run we will be fine, plus we've dominated every other NFC South team this year. I'll say 27-13.

vs. San Diego 6-4 - I'm curious which team will show up for San Diego, the team that started 6-1 or the one that's dropped 3 straight? This one I have no idea what to expect. On paper San Diego can easily wreck us, even at home. I'll say we win a close one, like 24-21. Could easily go either way.

@ Miami 6-4 - Loss. We aren't the same team on the road, and Miami to me is a worse match up than NO for us. 20-17

vs. Jacksonville 1-8 - It's at home, so win, though Jacksonville has beat us in the past and beat you guys that was in Jacksonville, being at home makes all the difference.

@ Houston 5-5 - The Houston Watts will be a tough matchup, and we stink on the road, like Miami a much worse matchup than NO. Loss, 16-13 in a defensive slug fest.

vs. Cleveland 6-4 - Win. A nail biter with big playoff implications, Gordon will make things interesting but our front seven will give Hoyer little time to throw and contain the run game. Flacco plays well at home, I'm gonna say 24-20.

10-6. Not sure if that'll win the division even with beating you guys week 17. We'll see.

Who says anyone has allowed you to take up residency? You are just a guy that hasn't even yet reached the front porch. And this wasn't really supposed to be a "prediction" thread, but I guess that is what it has turned into.

Ravens

@ New Orleans 4-6 - Win. I know it's weird to think that the Saints with a loss will have dropped 3 in a row at home. I'm not 100% on this pick, but I'm pretty sure. Saints aren't that good on defense, one of their better receivers is gonna be out which makes it easier to focus on Graham. As long as we establish the run we will be fine, plus we've dominated every other NFC South team this year. I'll say 27-13.

Yes, it is weird. It is even weirder that you would predict a win knowing that. The Ravens are every bit as inconsistent as the other AFCN teams.

A probable loss.

vs. San Diego 6-4 - I'm curious which team will show up for San Diego, the team that started 6-1 or the one that's dropped 3 straight? This one I have no idea what to expect. On paper San Diego can easily wreck us, even at home. I'll say we win a close one, like 24-21. Could easily go either way.

Every NFL game can go either way.

@ Miami 6-4 - Loss. We aren't the same team on the road, and Miami to me is a worse match up than NO for us. 20-17

vs. Jacksonville 1-8 - It's at home, so win, though Jacksonville has beat us in the past and beat you guys that was in Jacksonville, being at home makes all the difference.

@ Houston 5-5 - The Houston Watts will be a tough matchup, and we stink on the road, like Miami a much worse matchup than NO. Loss, 16-13 in a defensive slug fest.

vs. Cleveland 6-4 - Win. A nail biter with big playoff implications, Gordon will make things interesting but our front seven will give Hoyer little time to throw and contain the run game. Flacco plays well at home, I'm gonna say 24-20.

10-6. Not sure if that'll win the division even with beating you guys week 17. We'll see.

Who says anyone has allowed you to take up residency? You are just a guy that hasn't even yet reached the front porch. And this wasn't really supposed to be a "prediction" thread, but I guess that is what it has turned into.

Ravens

Yes, it is weird. It is even weirder that you would predict a win knowing that. The Ravens are every bit as inconsistent as the other AFCN teams.

A probable loss.

Except for stating the obvious, you said nothing in rebuttal to prediction for a win against the Saints. Losing 3 in a row at home is bad, but there's a reason they've lost 2 in a row, they aren't that good. Every time I think the AFc North has faced off against the NFC South this year aside from weird losses like the Steelers to the Bucs the North has kicked ass. This is a matchup where our style and strengths are perfectly in place to take advantage of a soft Saints team.

The Texans and Phins are a much different story. I picked one away game to win and picked the rest to lose and the remainder of home games to win. It's a pretty sound set. If you disagree, actually bring some valid arguments to the table Gip, I know you're more than capable.

Pretty much everybody here is either tolerating me or getting along with me pretty well sides maybe you and Z with whom it's a more turbulent interaction. Even if I'm in the dog house metaphorically speaking I'm still residing.

Except for stating the obvious, you said nothing in rebuttal to prediction for a win against the Saints.

I didn't know that I needed to say anything in rebuttal, other than that I think it is a probable loss. What else is there to say?

Losing 3 in a row at home is bad, but there's a reason they've lost 2 in a row, they aren't that good. Every time I think the AFc North has faced off against the NFC South this year aside from weird losses like the Steelers to the Bucs the North has kicked ass. This is a matchup where our style and strengths are perfectly in place to take advantage of a soft Saints team.

OK, so you say. I still think the Ravens are every bit as inconsistent, and will likely lose. The Saints have been a proven winner at home, and I just don't think they will lose 3 in a row.

The Texans and Phins are a much different story. I picked one away game to win and picked the rest to lose and the remainder of home games to win. It's a pretty sound set. If you disagree, actually bring some valid arguments to the table Gip, I know you're more than capable.

FYI, you will very rarely see me do predictions. I have participated one week on the Pro Football Pick 'em. And beat the field. I am debating as to whether I should retire undefeated. I really don't like doing predictions.

Pretty much everybody here is either tolerating me or getting along with me pretty well sides maybe you and Z with whom it's a more turbulent interaction. Even if I'm in the dog house metaphorically speaking I'm still residing.

I am tolerating you......I am letting you onto the porch. But I have no reason nor any authority to kick you off the grounds. (only Zombo and Hoorta and maybe MarkO can do that). But as you are a Ravens fan, it is my obligation to bust your chops, whether you actually deserve it or not by your actions. ;)

Except for stating the obvious, you said nothing in rebuttal to prediction for a win against the Saints.

I didn't know that I needed to say anything in rebuttal, other than that I think it is a probable loss. What else is there to say?

Losing 3 in a row at home is bad, but there's a reason they've lost 2 in a row, they aren't that good. Every time I think the AFc North has faced off against the NFC South this year aside from weird losses like the Steelers to the Bucs the North has kicked ass. This is a matchup where our style and strengths are perfectly in place to take advantage of a soft Saints team.

OK, so you say. I still think the Ravens are every bit as inconsistent, and will likely lose. The Saints have been a proven winner at home, and I just don't think they will lose 3 in a row.

FYI, you will very rarely see me do predictions. I have participated one week on the Pro Football Pick 'em. And beat the field. I am debating as to whether I should retire undefeated. I really don't like doing predictions.

I am tolerating you......I am letting you onto the porch. But I have no reason nor any authority to kick you off the grounds. (only Zombo and Hoorta and maybe MarkO can do that). But as you are a Ravens fan, it is my obligation to bust your chops, whether you actually deserve it or not by your actions. ;)

That's all fair.

I enjoy making predictions and breaking down film. I almost went into sports journalism, but life took me a different way.

Amazing how much things change in one weekend. Let me try this again...

Browns (6-4)

@ Atlanta 4-6 W... I have a better feeling about this game than last week

@ Buffalo 5-5 W... Buffalo is trending the wrong way (hopefully we aren't following)

vs. Indy 6-4 L... Not that we can't win, but that I think we drop one here

vs. Cincinnati 6-3-1 W... Good matchup for us this year

@ Carolina 3-7-1 W... Carolina is just not that good

@ Baltimore 6-4 L... Still not feeling good about this one

10-6 Lose WC tie-breaker with Baltimore in Week 17 (if we can get back on track, that game will be HUGE)

Bengals (6-3-1)

@ Houston 5-5 W... Bengals looked good last week, big let down for the Texans

@ Tampa Bay 2-8 W... Tampa has played tough, but just not enough

vs. Pittsburgh 7-4 W... In what will probably be an upset, but it's a home game

@ Cleveland 6-4 L... again, bad matchup for the Bengals

vs. Denver 7-3 L... Tough one

@ Pittsburgh 7-4 L... Won't beat Pitt on the road

9-6-1 (I'm not sold on the Bengals)

Steelers (7-4)

vs. New Orleans 4-6 W... Steelers are clicking

@ Cincinnati 6-3-1 L... upset by Cincy on the road

@ Atlanta 4-6 W... Too much for the Falcons

vs. Kansas City 7-3 L... KC looks pretty legit

vs. Cincinnati 6-3-1 W... big game for the Steelers who will show up at home

10-6 Division Champions... based on tie-breaker #3 (win % in common games)

Ravens (6-4)

@ New Orleans 4-6 L... Saints can't lose 3 straight at home can they?

vs. San Diego 6-4 W... A big conference win at home

@ Miami 6-4 W... this will be a good conference game

vs. Jacksonville 1-8 W... do I need to explain

@ Houston 5-5 L... Mallett and co might be clicking (might not)

vs. Cleveland 6-4 W... home game

10-6 Wild Card... based on tie-breaker #1 (head-to-head)

So thenew23....you have the Ravens, Browns, Steelers all finishing 10-6 and the Bengals at 9-6-1.

All three games over .500 minimum. Not sure it will happen. But I wonder when any single division ever came close to doing that?

It would be an amazing finish. Probably unprecedented.

The irony will be ATL or NO getting in at 6-10, while we all sit at home and watch.

Here is what I have found: Since 1970, no Division in the NFL has ever had all of its teams finish with a winning record....OVER .500. However, the following had all their teams finish at .500 or better:

1989 AFC North. 3 teams finished above .500, one at .500

1995 AFCW 2 teams were over .500, 3 teams finished at .500

1999 AFCE 3 teams were over .500, 2 teams at .500

2002 AFCE 3 teams over, one team at .500

2002 AFCW 2 teams over, one team at .500

2007 AFCS 3 teams over, one team at .500

2007 NFCE 3 teams over, one team at .500

2008 NFCE 3 teams over, one team at .500

2008 NFCS 3 teams over, one team at .500.

So, if the AFC North, this year had all teams finish with a winning record, it would be a first in history...since 1970

So, if the AFC North, this year had all teams finish with a winning record, it would be a first in history...since 1970

I like making BOLD predictions...

Not really. Most my predictions are wrong...

I mean, stupid me took Denver over St.Louis last week and it knocked me out of the Survival game... how dumb...

OK, but here is more....there was ONE time that an entire division of football had all its teams have a winning record:

1935 NFL Western Division:

Lions 7-3-2

Packers 8-4

Bears 6-4-2

Cardinals 6-4-2

Only time it has ever happened. As noted above, 9 times has a division had teams with no losing records, but there was always at least 1 .500 team. I guess we shall see what happens here.

Ravens

A probable loss.

I know you didn't predict ravens to lose, but there you go. And it wasn't as close as the score suggests

You guys might win but it'll be far from a beat down

We smashed the stoolers and the bungles.

Why can't we smash the bungles again and the ratbirds?

We smashed the stoolers and the bungles.

Why can't we smash the bungles again and the ratbirds?

Because the Ravens don't get beat down at home very often by divisional opponents, and we're trending up. Our only weakness is the secondary which worries me against you guys but we're progressing in the right direction in that area

Pretty sure that spot is reserved for the Bungels

Probably not with that TIE

The bungles will have to be more behind

Probably yes with their schedule and did I mention they suck?

Bengals are Kryptonite to the Ravens, it's very frustrating, but they aren't a good team.

The Bengals should just lose out (except to pittsburgh) and stop wasting everyone's time. We already know if they get a playoff spot it'll be a first round exit anyway.

Archived