THE BROWNS BOARD

Ryan Mallett

Zombo

The Brady Back-Up Bowl.

Believe me, guys, no offense to Mallet, and I wish him all the best, but if this game is decided by quarterback play, you guys are coming out of week #10 with a W.

Mallett has a canon for an arm but I didn't even see a glimpse of starting caliber quarterback play in all the preseason games he played here.

He's always had a lot of support as a back up, and he's well liked by Patriot fans, but the guy sucks.

He was utterly out performed by a Garoppolo who just got drafted, even though Mallett has been learning in our system for years.

Win for the Browns.

The Brady Back-Up Bowl.

Believe me, guys, no offense to Mallet, and I wish him all the best, but if this game is decided by quarterback play, you guys are coming out of week #10 with a W.

Mallett has a canon for an arm but I didn't even see a glimpse of starting caliber quarterback play in all the preseason games he played here.

He's always had a lot of support as a back up, and he's well liked by Patriot fans, but the guy sucks.

He was utterly out performed by a Garoppolo who just got drafted, even though Mallett has been learning in our system for years.

Win for the Browns.

While I agree Garoppolo has a higher upside than Mallet does/did, I don't think you can say Mallet sucks quite yet. At least for week 10, I hope he proves you right when he comes to cleveland. For Houston, I don't see him as a worse option than Fitzpatrick, not that Fitz is bad - he's just solidified his spot as a solid #2.

While not at the Tom Brady talent level, and not proven to even be discussed like Brady...(Don't want anybody to get confused). I think Hoyer displays a lot of similarities to Brady in his game. Similar pocket prescence, release, standing in it to throw when the hits coming, and the signature "If my receivers see me looking around, I want them to go deep" as well as the "I'm going to go deep at least once or twice a game I don't care who's open." I wonder how much of that he picked up from Brady, and if Mallet has any of the same characteristics :-P

While I agree Garoppolo has a higher upside than Mallet does/did, I don't think you can say Mallet sucks quite yet. At least for week 10, I hope he proves you right when he comes to cleveland. For Houston, I don't see him as a worse option than Fitzpatrick, not that Fitz is bad - he's just solidified his spot as a solid #2.

While not at the Tom Brady talent level, and not proven to even be discussed like Brady...(Don't want anybody to get confused). I think Hoyer displays a lot of similarities to Brady in his game. Similar pocket prescence, release, standing in it to throw when the hits coming, and the signature "If my receivers see me looking around, I want them to go deep" as well as the "I'm going to go deep at least once or twice a game I don't care who's open." I wonder how much of that he picked up from Brady, and if Mallet has any of the same characteristics :-P

I agree completely with your assessment of Hoyer, and it's also important to keep in mind, not that we're comparing, that 2001 Tom Brady was not the same animal as 2004~2014 Tom Brady. Stick with Hoyer and I see good things happening for Cleveland. He might not become a 1st balot HoF'er but he's got sound fundamentals to build on.

As far as Mallett goes, not trying to trash him, but he always looks totally lost. He has a crap attitude on the field, his manerisms after a sack or a bad play are just very Cutler like. Not very inspiring.

Maybe he was frustrated with poor showings when he had so little opportunity to showcase himself for value, but basically every time he played a preseason game it was just bad. Everything about his game was bad. I really don't understand the love Patriot fans have for him, but we seem to love all our Brady back ups.

He just never looked comfortable, never looked at ease, all of his motions were always akward.

I can easily see it being a train wreck.

I agree completely with your assessment of Hoyer, and it's also important to keep in mind, not that we're comparing, that 2001 Tom Brady was not the same animal as 2004~2014 Tom Brady. Stick with Hoyer and I see good things happening for Cleveland. He might not become a 1st balot HoF'er but he's got sound fundamentals to build on.

As far as Mallett goes, not trying to trash him, but he always looks totally lost. He has a crap attitude on the field, his mannerisms after a sack or a bad play are just very Cutler like. Not very inspiring.

Maybe he was frustrated with poor showings when he had so little opportunity to showcase himself for value, but basically every time he played a preseason game it was just bad. Everything about his game was bad. I really don't understand the love Patriot fans have for him, but we seem to love all our Brady back ups.

He just never looked comfortable, never looked at ease, all of his motions were always akward.

I can easily see it being a train wreck.

I remember Mallet screaming at Jake Long after Vernon Gholston planted him on the field in 07. Then I remember Mallet kicking Cameron Heyward after a sack during the Sugar Bowl in '10.

The Brady Back-Up Bowl.

Win for the Browns.

Are you saying he is a Brandon Weeden Clone?

I've always liked Bill Belichick. New England guy, what's your opinion on this question. Do you think Bill is the kind of coach who would piss away a quarterback he believed to be the future of the Patriots?

WSS

That is not BBs modus operandi. His thing is to kick a guy to the curb too early in the belief that it is better to do that than to wait too long. He did it with BK, he did it with Seymour, he did it with Mankins......and probably others along the way.

That is not BBs modus operandi. His thing is to kick a guy to the curb too early in the belief that it is better to do that than to wait too long. He did it with BK, he did it with Seymour, he did it with Mankins......and probably others along the way.

yeah yeah yeah,maybe we can pick up Drew Bledsoe?

WSS

Not always. I can remember him sucking the last life out of Willie McGinnest and McGinnest having nothing left in the tank when he was here.

Not always. I can remember him sucking the last life out of Willie McGinnest and McGinnest having nothing left in the tank when he was here.

Willie played a couple years with the brown's so he wasn't completely done in new England. I think if u have great leadership skills it buys u a few more years than a player who just got bye on physical talent

Don't forget Welker lol

• 3 weeks later...

The Akili Smith of this decade? Wins one fucking game in his career and it is against the Browns?

Nah, that'd be Kirk Cousins. Won one fucking game against us, and all of a sudden people wants us to trade for him.

Nah, that'd be Kirk Cousins. Won one fucking game against us, and all of a sudden people wants us to trade for him.

True, I don't remember anyone wanting to trade for Akili

Well, here is it: Akili Smith actually went 3-14 as a starting QB in the NFL. He beat the Browns in 1999 and again in 2000. Also in 2000 he started a game that the Bengals won over the Broncos......and that was it for his career.

Cousins, so far in his career is 2-7 as a starting QB. He won the game 2 years ago against the Browns, and earlier this year he started and won a game against Jacksonville.

Mallet is now 1-1 in his career, last week's win vs. Browns, yesterday's loss vs. Bengals.

Another QB of note in this regard was Clint Longley. He started one game for the Cowboys in 1975 subbing for Roger Staubach. He won that game and it earned the Cowboys a playoff spot as a wildcard...but they did go on to lose the SB to the Steelers.

Archived