THE BROWNS BOARD

Other Teams "fumble" "drive" "red Right 88"

The Gipper

Of course we all know of the heartbreak that the Browns have suffered with games like "The Drive" "The Fumble" "Red Right 88"...and I think that the 2002 loss to the Steelers when they had a 17 point lead can fall right in there (though I don't think that one caught a catchy moniker).

But NO, it is not my intent here to cry in my own beer, but to revel in the misery of other teams who have to cry in their beer.

Think of and list those instances where other teams have had to endure their misery as the Browns have had to. A couple of good examples to start....and with these I am only going back to last year, and I am reveling in the misery of the Browns biggest rivals:

A. Start with "The Drop". Lee Evans of the Ravens drops a TD pass in his hands that would have allowed them to beat the Pats and go to the SuperBowl.

Let Ravens fans stew on that.

B. Steelers get "Tebowed". Broncos defeat Steelers in OT when a pass from Tim Tebow to Darius Thomas leaves the Steeler secondary in the dust.

Up your nose with a rubber hose, Steeler fans.

I mention these because they are such sweet "fuckyous" to our friends.

Carry on though and name other games of this ilk.....and so as to remind ourselves that not we alone have to live in misery.

(But, yes, I do note paranthetically that the Steelers and Ravens have had fairly recent title runs. So what. Lets remind them of the bad times, not the good).

I married a Charger fan and her obnoxious Charger loving family.

I point these "Great" Charger moments out frequently.

"The Freeze" 81 playoff game vs. Cincy.

"the Headache" LT out with a headache during the 07 AFC Championship game vs. the Pats.

"Wide right and then Wide left" two consecutive playoff loses at home with missed FG.

Then of course I hear the comment "well the Browns have never been to the Super Bowl." My counter to that - were the Chargers ever really in a Super Bowl- I think Steve Young just threw another TD pass to Jerry Rice. I'm working on a clever name for this game- taking suggestions.

I'm brutal I know- but you fight back when you are outnumbered. I hope the Browns really lay it on the Chargers this year.

I married a Charger fan and her obnoxious Charger loving family.

I point these "Great" Charger moments out frequently.

"The Freeze" 81 playoff game vs. Cincy.

"the Headache" LT out with a headache during the 07 AFC Championship game vs. the Pats.

"Wide right and then Wide left" two consecutive playoff loses at home with missed FG.

Then of course I hear the comment "well the Browns have never been to the Super Bowl." My counter to that - were the Chargers ever really in a Super Bowl- I think Steve Young just threw another TD pass to Jerry Rice. I'm working on a clever name for this game- taking suggestions.

I'm brutal I know- but you fight back when you are outnumbered. I hope the Browns really lay it on the Chargers this year.

San Diego is the only city in the US with a team in one of the "Big 4" major league sports (football, baseball, basketball, hockey) that has gone longer without a title than Cleveland. You can use that on her. San Diego's last title was the Charger's 1963 AFL title team. The only other cities that have gone longer are two Canadian cities: Vancouver since 1915 and Ottawa since 1927...and those cities ONLY have hockey teams. Vancouver should have won it last year but blew a 3-2 game lead in the Stanley Cup finals.

not a Browns rivalry, but up here, get to see alot of Vikings games....

so, apart from the 4 Super bowl losses - and the more recent 2010 NFC championship game with New Orleans...

1998 NFC championship loss to the dirty birds on a missed field goal by ( Mr automatic in the clutch) Gary Anderson.....

2001 NFC championship loss vs NY Giants 41- donut Kerry Collins of all people!!

and in a "mirror like" game in 1988, The queens were trailing the Redskins by a TD when Darren Nelson fumbled on the way in to the end zone! The "Fumble" was the afternoon game!

The only time the Vikings won a NFL Championship (before the merger) was on Jan 4 1970 against our Cleveland Browns 27-7

ya I Hate the Vikings......

How about the Raiders? Even though they had success years ago, they are snake bit as well:

AFC Championship vs. the Broncos in 1977, Denver's Rob Lytle fumbles on the 1 yard line on a dive play, refs call it a TD & Broncos go on to Superbowl

Tom Brady's infamous "tuck rule" stupidly called, Raiders would have beat the Patriots in 2002- Patriots go on to Superbowl

Immaculate Reception in 1972 vs. the Steelers in 3 Rivers....ouch!!!

not a Browns rivalry, but up here, get to see alot of Vikings games....

so, apart from the 4 Super bowl losses - and the more recent 2010 NFC championship game with New Orleans...

1998 NFC championship loss to the dirty birds on a missed field goal by ( Mr automatic in the clutch) Gary Anderson.....

2001 NFC championship loss vs NY Giants 41- donut Kerry Collins of all people!!

and in a "mirror like" game in 1988, The queens were trailing the Redskins by a TD when Darren Nelson fumbled on the way in to the end zone! The "Fumble" was the afternoon game!

The only time the Vikings won a NFL Championship (before the merger) was on Jan 4 1970 against our Cleveland Browns 27-7

ya I Hate the Vikings......

Don't forget the 1975 Playoff game- the Hail Mary by Staubach in old Memorial Stadium. The ref didn't call offensive interference, and he got hit in the head with a beer bottle by Viking fans

A few other famous ones:

The Music City Miracle. I suspect to Bills fans it was more like the Music City Robbery.

And the Browns "Drive Game" wasn't the only famous drive:

The Bengals were on the wrong side of Joe Montana's drive in their second Super Bowl meeting.

The Cardinals were on the wrong side of the Steelers drive that culminated in Santonio Holmes winning TD catch in the last minute.

I am sure Cowboys fans have another term for "The Catch". It has to be some kind of expletive deleted.

Of course don't forget the Bills "Wide Right" (or was it wide left) game where Scott Norwood missed a potential SB winning FG.

And to Houston Oiler fans the Bills "Comeback" from 32 points down was more like "The Great Collapse"

And who was it that missed that chip shot FG just a year or two ago?

The worst part about the Steelers coming back from a 17 point deficet to the Browns, was that 49ers staged a bigger comeback and stole the highlight reels for that evening. Well, maybe for a Browns fan it wasn't the "worst" part.

Anyways, I guess you could say the Browns got some measure of revenge the following week as the Steelers flunked out of the Nedney Acting Academy in a 34-31 loss to the Titans in OT. Nedney missed a 48 yarder at the end of regulation then, missed a 31 yarder in OT. It seemed fate was to be on the Steelers side that day until the flag popped out for a roughing the kicker penalty on Dewayne Washington. Nedney deserved an academy award for that performance.

As for last years Tebowing in the play-offs I really don't think it was that bad (losing on the first play of OT). The Steelers desperately needed a bye-week for the ailing Roethlisberger and our core of elderly players. Losing in SF pretty much pre-ordained an early exit from the post-season for Pittsburgh. Had we won in Denver, there was really little hope of beating NE, then Baltimore. By OT Mendenhall, Starks and Hampton were already lost for the season. In the end I think the higher draft choice this year may be more benefical than beating Denver. Time will tell and fans in general don't like to see their teams lose for any reason.

The AFC championship game between Pittsburgh and Indy in '95 I believe was a heart breaker for the Colts. Harbaugh heaved the final pass into the end-zone for the winning TD as time expired that went into and out of a Colts reciever who I can not name at this time.

Super Bowl 30 was a more crushing defeat for me. Dallas punched the Steelers in the face early. Some surprise playcalling, brought Pittsburgh back into the game. We were driving for the go ahead touchdown, when O'Donnell got his "double Brown" vision and threw the same exact pass that got him picked off by Larry Brown earlier in that game. Brown nearly returned this interception for a touchdown and Aikman and company stuck the final dagger into Pittsburgh's hope of a 5th Super Bowl victory.

The worst part about the Steelers coming back from a 17 point deficet to the Browns, was that 49ers staged a bigger comeback and stole the highlight reels for that evening. Well, maybe for a Browns fan it wasn't the "worst" part.

Anyways, I guess you could say the Browns got some measure of revenge the following week as the Steelers flunked out of the Nedney Acting Academy in a 34-31 loss to the Titans in OT. Nedney missed a 48 yarder at the end of regulation then, missed a 31 yarder in OT. It seemed fate was to be on the Steelers side that day until the flag popped out for a roughing the kicker penalty on Dewayne Washington. Nedney deserved an academy award for that performance.

As for last years Tebowing in the play-offs I really don't think it was that bad (losing on the first play of OT). The Steelers desperately needed a bye-week for the ailing Roethlisberger and our core of elderly players. Losing in SF pretty much pre-ordained an early exit from the post-season for Pittsburgh. Had we won in Denver, there was really little hope of beating NE, then Baltimore. By OT Mendenhall, Starks and Hampton were already lost for the season. In the end I think the higher draft choice this year may be more benefical than beating Denver. Time will tell and fans in general don't like to see their teams lose for any reason.

The AFC championship game between Pittsburgh and Indy in '95 I believe was a heart breaker for the Colts. Harbaugh heaved the final pass into the end-zone for the winning TD as time expired that went into and out of a Colts reciever who I can not name at this time.

I had in mind real heartbreakers. I think Pittsburgh controlled that game pretty much. It would have been a REAL heartbreaker had that pass been completed. Moreso for yinz than it was for them.

Super Bowl 30 was a more crushing defeat for me. Dallas punched the Steelers in the face early. Some surprise playcalling, brought Pittsburgh back into the game. We were driving for the go ahead touchdown, when O'Donnell got his "double Brown" vision and threw the same exact pass that got him picked off by Larry Brown earlier in that game. Brown nearly returned this interception for a touchdown and Aikman and company stuck the final dagger into Pittsburgh's hope of a 5th Super Bowl victory.

I don't recall that game being that close near the end. I do remember the int's, but I don't think one of the occurred when, say, the Steelers were driving toward a winning TD near the end of a game.

It wasn't like, say, the int. the Saints made against Brett Favre and the Vikings in that NfC title game.

Of course we all know of the heartbreak that the Browns have suffered with games like "The Drive" "The Fumble" "Red Right 88"...and I think that the 2002 loss to the Steelers when they had a 17 point lead can fall right in there (though I don't think that one caught a catchy moniker).

But NO, it is not my intent here to cry in my own beer, but to revel in the misery of other teams who have to cry in their beer.

Think of and list those instances where other teams have had to endure their misery as the Browns have had to. A couple of good examples to start....and with these I am only going back to last year, and I am reveling in the misery of the Browns biggest rivals:

A. Start with "The Drop". Lee Evans of the Ravens drops a TD pass in his hands that would have allowed them to beat the Pats and go to the SuperBowl.

Let Ravens fans stew on that.

B. Steelers get "Tebowed". Broncos defeat Steelers in OT when a pass from Tim Tebow to Darius Thomas leaves the Steeler secondary in the dust.

Up your nose with a rubber hose, Steeler fans.

I mention these because they are such sweet "fuckyous" to our friends.

Carry on though and name other games of this ilk.....and so as to remind ourselves that not we alone have to live in misery.

(But, yes, I do note paranthetically that the Steelers and Ravens have had fairly recent title runs. So what. Lets remind them of the bad times, not the good).

Not that you are ever right - I mean, besides being old, crotchety and nasty - you're also senile.

I will grant that the Ravens blown Super Bowl chance in the AFC Championship will sting for a long time, because those tend to do so.....

But do you really think that the Steelers OT loss last year stings that bad? By the end of the game, the injuries piled up too much to overcome, so we knew the season was over. Sucked - but it was over.

The problem you have is this - when you routinely are challenging as deep as the Conference Championship Game and deeper (and winning) - a year that witnessed a one and done isn't quite that devastating.

The 13-2 1987 49ers world didn't fall apart after an upset loss to the 8-7 Vikings.

The 13-3 1996 Broncos recovered quite nicely from a shocker of a loss to 9-7 Jaguars

The 14-2 2005 Colts were at one point considered one of the best teams ever, but they came back nice after loss to 11-5 Pittsburgh

The 10-6 2007 Steelers lost to a team at home twice in the same season, Jaguars, but 2008 worked out okay

The list can go on a lot longer - point being is that a team is 15 years removed from the closest they ever came to reaching the Super Bowl trying to taunt a team that has been to 3 and won 2 recently for one 0-1 post-season is pretty sad.

Gipper Stated:

I had in mind real heartbreakers. I think Pittsburgh controlled that game pretty much. It would have been a REAL heartbreaker had that pass been completed. Moreso for yinz than it was for them.

There is no greater heart-breaker than losing a closely contested Super Bowl. AFC/NFC championships are close, but not quite the same. I may have remembered the Steelers being closer to scoring a TD than they actually were, but in my mind I saw no reason for them not to score on that drive. Making the same costly mistake twice in one game for all the marbles is up there amongst the very definition "heartbreaker."

From Wiki on Super Bowl 30

The Steelers then rallied to cut the score, 20-17, late in the fourth quarter. But Brown recorded his second interception on Pittsburgh's next drive, and returned it to 33 yards to the Steelers' 6-yard line to set up Smith's 4-yard rushing touchdown.

Gipper Stated:

There is no greater heart-breaker than losing a closely contested Super Bowl. AFC/NFC championships are close, but not quite the same. I may have remembered the Steelers being closer to scoring a TD than they actually were, but in my mind I saw no reason for them not to score on that drive. Making the same costly mistake twice in one game for all the marbles is up there amongst the very definition "heartbreaker."

Endy-

Damn, you can't be serious? You guys have won 6 Superbowls, and you pointed out (to your credit) a couple of disappointments.

You can't win 'em all, although it seems they try. Hey, you forgot the "coin flip" on Thanksgiving...that was funny from a Browns fan standpoint, but wasn't really a good day for that ref.

Not that you are ever right - I mean, besides being old, crotchety and nasty - you're also senile.

I will grant that the Ravens blown Super Bowl chance in the AFC Championship will sting for a long time, because those tend to do so.....

But do you really think that the Steelers OT loss last year stings that bad?

I don't know. You tell me. If you Steeler fans feel it was just another run of the mill loss, I might willing to accept that as your feelings about that game.

The national media made a pretty big deal of it. But if it was just a ho-hum thing to you, fine. Welcome to Loserville.

By the end of the game, the injuries piled up too much to overcome, so we knew the season was over. Sucked - but it was over.

The problem you have is this - when you routinely are challenging as deep as the Conference Championship Game and deeper (and winning) - a year that witnessed a one and done isn't quite that devastating.

The 13-2 1987 49ers world didn't fall apart after an upset loss to the 8-7 Vikings.

The 13-3 1996 Broncos recovered quite nicely from a shocker of a loss to 9-7 Jaguars

The 14-2 2005 Colts were at one point considered one of the best teams ever, but they came back nice after loss to 11-5 Pittsburgh

The 10-6 2007 Steelers lost to a team at home twice in the same season, Jaguars, but 2008 worked out okay

If you are saying that a "devastating" loss of the types that are being described here are salved over by subsequent victories and titles, yes, I absolutely understand that can be the case.

The list can go on a lot longer - point being is that a team is 15 years removed from the closest they ever came to reaching the Super Bowl trying to taunt a team that has been to 3 and won 2 recently for one 0-1 post-season is pretty sad.

You mean by "taunting" the Ravens and Steelers. Sure. I am taunting dickheads like you with the same kind of losses the Browns have had to endure.

You try to put on a phony face. "Oh, that loss to the Broncos was nothing...we weren't that good...we had injuries...we would have never won the next game..yada, yada, yada, yada.

No, sorry, not buying it.

The Agony of Defeat was squarely stuck up your asses by that loss. Just sit and stew on it.

Gipper Stated:

There is no greater heart-breaker than losing a closely contested Super Bowl.

Agree. I guess I just don't recall that game being that closely contested. Perhaps as a fan of one of the teams in that game you saw it in a different perspective than I did. Historically I didn't perceive it as being one of the more hotly contested SBs. Of the 3 Cowboy/Steeler SBs in fact I thought that one was the least hotly contested. And it wasn't like the second Bengals/49er game, or the Wide Right Bills/Giants game, or the "one foot short" Titans/Rams game, or the first Giants/Pats game etc.

AFC/NFC championships are close, but not quite the same. I may have remembered the Steelers being closer to scoring a TD than they actually were, but in my mind I saw no reason for them not to score on that drive. Making the same costly mistake twice in one game for all the marbles is up there amongst the very definition "heartbreaker."

Endy-

Damn, you can't be serious? You guys have won 6 Superbowls, and you pointed out (to your credit) a couple of disappointments.

You can't win 'em all, although it seems they try. Hey, you forgot the "coin flip" on Thanksgiving...that was funny from a Browns fan standpoint, but wasn't really a good day for that ref.

I understand where he is coming from. Some wise person said: "the losses always sting worse than the victories feel good". I capiche. (and it is also why I son't buy FSG BS)

Endy-

I was not a witness to the first 4 super bowl victories of the Steelers, I was a witness to Super Bowl 30. The Gipper can attest to the greatness of the Browns before recorded history, but the majority Browns fans here are looking for achievments of glory in today's day and age. I wanted to see Pittsburgh and San Francisco battle it out for the 5th Lombardy in 1995. I could probably claim the 1994 AFC season championship loss by the Steelers as a heartbreaker, but in a way to me it made me more interested in football.

Look at the Steelers after the 1995 season. Cowher struggled to get the team past the AFC championship game, and took him 10 years to do so again. While it was nice to witness a win Super Bowl victory in 40, that was not nearly as compelling a game as Super Bowl 30. I would trade the 40 victory for a victory in 30. Super Bowl 43 was a good game in my book and Super Bowl 45 wasn't too bad, other than the fact I'd have prefered a different outcome.

The thrill of victory, and the Steeler Vinko Bogataj moment:

By the way, the Bronco statue that sits on top of the scoreboard that you see in this video is only 1 of 2 life size statues made of Trigger, Roy Rogers horse. The other I believe is in a Roy Rogers Museum in California.

I was not a witness to the first 4 super bowl victories of the Steelers, I was a witness to Super Bowl 30. The Gipper can attest to the greatness of the Browns before recorded history, but the majority Browns fans here are looking for achievments of glory in today's day and age. I wanted to see Pittsburgh and San Francisco battle it out for the 5th Lombardy in 1995. I could probably claim the 1994 AFC season championship loss by the Steelers as a heartbreaker, but in a way to me it made me more interested in football.

Look at the Steelers after the 1995 season. Cowher struggled to get the team past the AFC championship game, and took him 10 years to do so again. While it was nice to witness a win Super Bowl victory in 40, that was not nearly as compelling a game as Super Bowl 30. I would trade the 40 victory for a victory in 30. Super Bowl 43 was a good game in my book and Super Bowl 45 wasn't too bad, other than the fact I'd have prefered a different outcome.

I think, for Cardinals fans, that last minute loss to the Steelers will be their "Drive" "Fumble" etc. A heartbreaking last second defeat.

Like the Browns defense against Elway, their defense collapsed at the most inopportune time.

I am not a fan of the BleacherReports format, but here are a couple of lists by them that can fit this thread:

First, Top 25 most heart wrenching moments in NFL history.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/638227-top-25-most-heart-wrenching-moments-in-nfl-history

Then, most gut wrenching playoff loss of each NFL franchise

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/961763-the-most-gut-wrenching-playoff-loss-in-the-history-of-every-nfl-franchise

I understand where he is coming from. Some wise person said: "the losses always sting worse than the victories feel good". I capiche. (and it is also why I son't buy FSG BS)

That's because you're so stupid, you don't know the difference between being able to handle a loss and being able to handle losing.

My world didn't fall apart because the Steelers lost a playoff game against an inferior team. But your inability to comprehend that mentality is what makes you who you are.

Welcome to loserville - that is where you have been born and raised.

That's because you're so stupid, you don't know the difference between being able to handle a loss and being able to handle losing.

My world didn't fall apart because the Steelers lost a playoff game against an inferior team. But your inability to comprehend that mentality is what makes you who you are.

Welcome to loserville - that is where you have been born and raised.

Loserville, thats creative. I can only assume you'll follow any retort on his part by calling him a butthead or a meanie face.

Well, coming from a Redskins fan, here are mine:

The "double time-out" - first game after Sean Taylor died, playing the Bills, Gibbs calls two timeouts in a row trying to freeze their kicker. 15 yard penalty, kick easily made, Skins lose.

Super Bowl 18 (all of it) - Skins go in as the favorite, get blown out 38-9. It was before I was born, but it still is physically painful to talk about it and watch it.

But now, for the flip side:

The "Monday Night Miracle" - Skins down 13-0 to the Cowboys with 3:55 to do in the fourth quarter, 4th and 15. Bomb TD pass to Santana Moss, defensive stop, another bomb to Moss. Skins win 14-13.

The "Hand of God" - Score tied, 5 seconds to go, Cowboys have the ball about to kick the winning field goal. Troy Vincent blocks the kick, Sean Taylor picks it up and returns it, gets a facemask penalty, and we kick the winning Field Goal.

The "double time-out" - first game after Sean Taylor died, playing the Bills, Gibbs calls two timeouts in a row trying to freeze their kicker. 15 yard penalty, kick easily made, Skins lose.

wow.....that one would hurt. i thought our HC was a bumbling idiot.....but gibbs wasn't a rookie. senility maybe?

wow.....that one would hurt. i thought our HC was a bumbling idiot.....but gibbs wasn't a rookie. senility maybe?

He said he didn't know, but I don't know how much weight I put on that. I have a feeling he just plain and simple forgot with all the emotion of the moment. Sean Taylor was the first player he drafted in his second go around, was coming into his own as the best safety in the league (Ed Reed's ball skills and range, Polamalu's smarts, and the fiercest hitting safety in NFL history), and was very abruptly taken. The first game (at home, no less) following close to an hour long service in memory of him. I think he just got caught up in the moment.

Archived