THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoff qualifications

BrownsfaninPa

I think we should get rid of divisions and have the best 6 from each conference in the playoffs. Each team should be assigned 3 or 4 other teams they play each year (rival games). Youd broaden the variety of matchups and get the better teams in the playoffs.

Yes, but no. You start off in your little bubble of a division, and you and the fan base concern yourselves with that.

Even though you suck, your entire fan base is intrigued and so is the surrounding teams' fan base because, any given Sunday, right?

And who knows. The playoffs are one and done, but if some team stumbles in there with a losing regular season record and actually wins it all? Good God, that's a story for the ages.

It would inspire the fan base of every shitty team for years to come.

And inspired fans buy jerseys and shit.

Exactly. Freddie Colman on ESPN radio has been beating this drum for a couple of weeks...

Just googled and see that it's Coleman...

Any relation to Ken Coleman... local TV broadcaster and host of the weekly "Quarterback Club" show from the 60's... and his son, Casey?

Also I just had a Gib Shanley flashback... I went to school with Gib's son.

Yes, but no. You start off in your little bubble of a division, and you and the fan base concern yourselves with that.

Even though you suck, your entire fan base is intrigued and so is the surrounding teams' fan base because, any given Sunday, right?

And who knows. The playoffs are one and done, but if some team stumbles in there with a losing regular season record and actually wins it all? Good God, that's a story for the ages.

It would inspire the fan base of every shitty team for years to come.

And inspired fans buy jerseys and shit.

Ok, two divisions for each conference. The division winners get the bye, and you'll get the best 12 teams in the playoffs 99.9% of the time. Once again, you broaden the variety of matchups, and the bigger the variety, the better the chance that the best teams rise to the top.

Archived